PDA

View Full Version : Rarest Tmnt figures on Card?

Dark 5cythe
06-08-2009, 06:01 AM
Sorry to ask such a newbish question, but as a kid i never cared for what was rare or hard to find.

As an adult collector going back and trying to find these figures again, I have no idea about the value of these figures.

So I come to you Tmnt scientists!

Which figures were the rarest to find?

Which ones are worth something on card?

How much does that figure go for?

I hope you guys can help

-D5

andrewdsz
06-08-2009, 06:22 AM
You can do a ebay search or technodrome toy section search,and you will get all the answers.

Lots hard to find moc sets/boxes are not sellin for much,so take this as your advantages.

Archon_Turtle
06-08-2009, 09:54 AM
You can do a ebay search or technodrome toy section search,and you will get all the answers.

Lots hard to find moc sets/boxes are not sellin for much,so take this as your advantages.

And now, an actually helpful answer :-P

The general rule of thumb is, the less popular it was at the time of retail, the more difficult it is to find now. While there are exceptions, this is a pretty good thing to have in your head when looking. For example. You'll find that some of the absolutely most difficult figures to find on card are the more off the wall turtle variant figures from the twilight years of the original run (95-98). These figures include but are not limited to:

Warrior Rocksteady
Warrior Chrome Dome
Warrior Winged Turtles
Sumo Turtles
The Turtleflauge series
The Deluxe Turtleflauge series
Don's Camo Hydro Skimmer and Leo's Camo Blitz Cycle (Figure/vehicle combos that were the two last figures produced. I have only seen these figures in box a handful of times post retail)
Mutant Masters
Dino Turtles
Coil Force Turtles
Muta-Force Turtles

If you're talking about rarest Playmates ITEMS, some of the Roleplay items (Swords, etc) and the later mini-mutants playsets are virtually impossible to find. Specifically the mini-mutants Cyber Jet and Cyber Rover, and some of the last released "combo" packs. These items are generally far more difficult to find either loose or MIB/MOC than any of the action figures.

Some figures, while not really that rare, have been dubbed so, and so are far more expensive then others that are ACTUALLY rare. These figures include, but are not limited to:

Shogun Shoate
Shogun Triceraton
Scratch
Hot Spot

Though you will see these on card pretty regularly, expect to pay a premium most of the time, because these are the figures that are known as "OMFG THE RAREST THING E-VAR!!!" to the none experienced collectors/dealers.

Due to the invention of ebay, it is pretty pointless for me to go into what they are worth. Some of the items on the above list will go for $50 one day, and $300 the next.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

EDIT: Oh, and so Vaughn doesn't yell at me, the My First Raph doll is also extremely rare :-P

andrewdsz
06-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I will sum-up a little.

The best way to tell if a figure is rare or not can be determined by watchin loose lots. The rare the figure is,the less chance it is gonna show up on the loose lot.

The most extremely RARE (yes i mean RARE) figures include:

shogun triceraton(yes shogun triceraton are actually Freakin rare, the reason you see them on ebay all the time is due to ppl who bought it sold it to another party all the time for the high $... ...Nowadays the only way you might possible get a MOC one on hand is probably ebay,and they are almost always on the hands of collector,so you have to pay the "collector's price". I doubt there're still over One or two hundred MOC copies existed on this world.)
Warrior Rocksteady
Undercover clothes series
Don's Camo Hydro Skimmer and Leo's Camo Blitz Cycle
Mutant Masters
1997 Dino Turtles
Cyber rover/cyber jet mini playset
mini mutant mutant combact combo/pizza police combo/firefightin frenze combo
Giant troll series

I think that's almost it for the rarest MOC figures.

Sumo turtles, winged tmnt,warrior chrome dome,coil force, muta-force,and some of the NM figures are not THAT rare as they show up on ebays more frequent than the above list. However they can be very expensive sometimes.

For the price,really depends on the day yes. I saw winged tmnts MOC someday go for 45$ MOC and some day can fetch over 100.

Also,as the years gone by,less and less MOC first generation tmnt figures will be around,as myself had been opened over 30 MOC figures for display and dump over 50 trash figures into the garbage bin before.

Archon_Turtle
06-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I will sum-up a little.

The best way to tell if a figure is rare or not can be determined by watchin loose lots. The rare the figure is,the less chance it is gonna show up on the loose lot.

The most extremely RARE (yes i mean RARE) figures include:

shogun triceraton(yes shogun triceraton are actually Freakin rare, the reason you see them on ebay all the time is due to ppl who bought it sold it to another party all the time for the high $... ...Nowadays the only way you might possible get a MOC one on hand is probably ebay,and they are almost always on the hands of collector,so you have to pay the "collector's price". I doubt there're still over One or two hundred MOC copies existed on this world.)
Warrior Rocksteady
Undercover clothes series
Don's Camo Hydro Skimmer and Leo's Camo Blitz Cycle
Mutant Masters
1997 Dino Turtles
Cyber rover/cyber jet mini playset
mini mutant mutant combact combo/pizza police combo/firefightin frenze combo
Giant troll series

I think that's almost it for the rarest MOC figures.

Sumo turtles, winged tmnt,warrior chrome dome,coil force, muta-force,and some of the NM figures are not THAT rare as they show up on ebays more frequent than the above list. However they can be very expensive sometimes.

For the price,really depends on the day yes. I saw winged tmnts MOC someday go for 45$ MOC and some day can fetch over 100.

Also,as the years gone by,less and less MOC first generation tmnt figures will be around,as myself had been opened over 30 MOC figures for display and dump over 50 trash figures into the garbage bin before.

No offense...but didn't you basically just repeat what I just said?

andrewdsz
06-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Not really, i pointed out the more extreme rare ones,and i dont agree some of your info about the rareness.

Archon_Turtle
06-08-2009, 05:53 PM
yeah, well, there are two shogun triceratons on ebay right now...I'm just sayin'

VaughnMichael
06-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Everything Archon said is 100% True.

jwiz154
06-08-2009, 06:44 PM
As with most toy lines the stuff that is released near the end of the line is what usually turns out to be the scarcest. The word "rare" is so overused. I agree with some of the above comments about most things from about '96 on being the toughest to find. My personal opinion is that the MutantMasters set and both the Next Mutation figure/vehicle boxsets are just about as tough to find as it gets. As for pricing, that is between the buyer and seller. If you are happy with something you buy, don't let some else spoil your enjoyment. In any toy line, not just TMNT, it's only worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it. Good Luck!!

Dark 5cythe
06-08-2009, 07:39 PM
wow, thanks alot guys. really. Thats more than ive been able to find for info.

I thought for sure by now there would be a tmnt collectors guide etc. We should make an archive here with pics and such.

So why is shogun triceraton and the trex expensive? I saw that there are 2 on ebay right now. one for 150 and one for like 300. both absurd prices. why are they rare?

Ninjinister
06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Not really, i pointed out the more extreme rare ones,and i dont agree some of your info about the rareness.

A lot that you listed as the "extreme rare" are really "artificially rare". In other words, they go for craploads of money on eBay, but those prices are inflated way past what they are really worth.

Bigfoot
06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc261/MintOnCard/rare_s12.jpg

BoggleKng
06-08-2009, 08:27 PM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc261/MintOnCard/rare_s12.jpg

So who is Walt Eastman?

Archon_Turtle
06-08-2009, 08:37 PM
So why is shogun triceraton and the trex expensive? I saw that there are 2 on ebay right now. one for 150 and one for like 300. both absurd prices. why are they rare?

As mentioned before. The uneducated collectors have latched onto these figures as being "rare", when really, there are figures far more rare than those. Sure, the production runs werent as big as some, but they aren't too difficult to find. Simply expensive. There really isn't a better answer than that.

Spitfire
06-08-2009, 09:54 PM
The same uneducated collectors think Sandstorm and Half Court are the rarest figures ever and jack the prices up on them as well. Same with Krang all of a sudden people go ape over him.

Lordmylar06
06-08-2009, 10:03 PM
The same uneducated collectors think Sandstorm and Half Court are the rarest figures ever and jack the prices up on them as well. Same with Krang all of a sudden people go ape over him.

Which Krang? the 1st in the chair walker? Or the later one in the 4 inch android suit and mini-Krang? I liked the box art for the original Krang. It had him eatin' turtle shells and drooling all over the place. Too bad when I was a kid I always ripped right through the pretty art.:-?

andrewdsz
06-08-2009, 10:59 PM
I 100% believe my info is correct. I've been watchin ebay EVERYDAY and looked almost every tmnt/ninja turtle titled action figured for the past few monthes now. Coil Force Turtles, Muta-Force Turtles, Sumo and winged turtles showed up a LOT more than the ones i mentioned "extremely rare" category. Clothes undercover tmnt almost didnt show up for the last whole year at all except one guy tryin to sell each for 125$. some of the 1996~98 era figures are just fairly rare.

Dark 5cythe
06-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Which Krang? the 1st in the chair walker? Or the later one in the 4 inch android suit and mini-Krang? I liked the box art for the original Krang. It had him eatin' turtle shells and drooling all over the place. Too bad when I was a kid I always ripped right through the pretty art.:-?

Cool little story on the art. Alot of the sculptors got to draw their own box art if they were good enough.

Krang in the walker is always missing the clear bubble when i find him. people go nuts for the mini krang figure i noticed.

andrewdsz
06-09-2009, 08:47 AM
yeah, well, there are two shogun triceratons on ebay right now...I'm just sayin'

Bro you should realize that the two triceraton you mentioned were BEEN THERE for A LONG TIME. Those extreme high price items on ebay does NOT reflect its rareness. However i do think 150$ is a reasonable deal for that shogun figure though. It is always that 50 or 100 MOC triceratons flowing around the market from this guy to another guy(when u broke brother that is the first thing you may sell, along w scratch,because they can dish out so much $), however you rarely,RARELY see him on loose lots. The past year i havent seem it once even though i checked vertually every tmnt action figures auction.

Spitfire
06-09-2009, 04:39 PM

I have that Krang carded. It's any Krang I noticed but mainly the Android body be it small or large.

VaughnMichael
06-09-2009, 06:02 PM
I'd say people go more ape sh1t over the 1994 Krang's Android Body than any other version.

Blade Raider
06-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I'd say people go more ape sh1t over the 1994 Krang's Android Body than any other version.
I know I did when I first saw him in '94. Never liked the bubble walker or the big one, but I just had to have a small Android Krang! Only years later did I find out he was uncommon-rare (Still not sure which :P)

VaughnMichael
06-09-2009, 11:11 PM
I know I did when I first saw him in '94. Never liked the bubble walker or the big one, but I just had to have a small Android Krang! Only years later did I find out he was uncommon-rare (Still not sure which :P)
The normal sized Krangs Android body isn't all that rare to be honest.
Playmates released the figure first in 1994, then re-released in 1995, then again in 1998.

Dark 5cythe
06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
The normal sized Krangs Android body isn't all that rare to be honest.
Playmates released the figure first in 1994, then re-released in 1995, then again in 1998.

He might have been made alot but maybe because hes so cool, people hold onto him, so he isnt found for sale very much. Making him rare not in production, but availability.

VaughnMichael
06-11-2009, 05:54 AM
He might have been made alot but maybe because hes so cool, people hold onto him, so he isnt found for sale very much. Making him rare not in production, but availability.
I see about one pop up just about every week on ebay.
Trust me there's allot of this figure, people really don't need to go all crazy and jack the prices up sky high when they see one.

Dark 5cythe
06-11-2009, 06:00 AM
I see about one pop up just about every week on ebay.
Trust me there's allot of this figure, people really don't need to go all crazy and jack the prices up sky high when they see one.

still, one a week for alot of hungry collectors might as well be none.

andrewdsz
06-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Yea as the tmnt collectors increasing over the years,it is gettin harder and harder to collect something you wanted at a good price. I used to think shogun triceraton are wayyy over priced and i will never own one,but as the time gone by i sucked two MOC ones myself... ...

BoggleKng
06-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Yea as the tmnt collectors increasing over the years,it is gettin harder and harder to collect something you wanted at a good price. I used to think shogun triceraton are wayyy over priced and i will never own one,but as the time gone by i sucked two MOC ones myself... ...

and you got one of those in a steal..:o

bobby6shotz
05-09-2014, 08:59 AM
I 100% believe my info is correct. I've been watchin ebay EVERYDAY and looked almost every tmnt/ninja turtle titled action figured for the past few monthes now. Coil Force Turtles, Muta-Force Turtles, Sumo and winged turtles showed up a LOT more than the ones i mentioned "extremely rare" category. Clothes undercover tmnt almost didnt show up for the last whole year at all except one guy tryin to sell each for 125$. some of the 1996~98 era figures are just fairly rare. Dang I wish I could have bought all 4 for 125 each! !!!

Samurai
02-22-2016, 11:36 AM
How difficult would it be to put together a complete Undercover Turtles set with Leo, Don, Raph, and Mike each separately graded in AFA 85?

slashpieturtlemix
02-23-2016, 11:47 AM
How difficult would it be to put together a complete Undercover Turtles set with Leo, Don, Raph, and Mike each separately graded in AFA 85?

It won't be difficult but expensive. Those are about $500.00 figures without being graded.

Samurai
02-23-2016, 03:08 PM
It won't be difficult but expensive. Those are about $500.00 figures without being graded.

I've been checking ebay for a while now on Undercover Turtles and these are quite rare, much less in NM condition. I would be curious to know how many of these Undercovers are even graded for each of these figures in 85 (and 80 for comparison). Anyone know from the population report from AFA?