PDA

View Full Version : Thriller MJ vs. Smooth Criminal MJ

ThirdMarioBro
06-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Alright kids. Vote for the ultimate Michael Jackson costume -- its Thriller's trademark red jacked, vs. Smooth Criminal's classic white suit and fedora.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/ThirdMarioBro/Redsuitvswhitesuit.gif

You know where I stand.

Peanut
06-30-2009, 08:25 PM
If we're talking pure aesthetic choice, I'm going to go with Smooth Criminal, for many reasons. The fedora became as iconic to MJ as it is to Indy.

If we're talking which outfit is the most iconic, the one that caught the eye of the world, it was definitely the Thriller jacket.

XERO
06-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Kudos on this thread, TMB. 8)

As iconic as the Thriller outfit is, I always liked the Smooth Criminal better.

I mean, it just screams out 'P-I-M-P!' :lol:

GK Punk
06-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Going with thriller, just out of Icon status.

ThirdMarioBro
06-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I gotta' go with Smooth Criminal. As much as I love Thriller, that pimp suit is just iconic to me. That video and that costume represents the peak of the 80s to me.

I've actually got a replica hat in my closet. I haven't worn it in forever. I was actually waiting until I shaved my head again, so it looks like I had better bring out the razor. If I had the cash, I'd get the suit to go with it.

XERO
06-30-2009, 09:32 PM
I stare at your Moonwalker sigs at least 2-5 minutes daily, TMB. Just letting you know. :P

Ninjinister
06-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Thriller may have been the first video I ever saw him in, but whenever I think of MJ, he's in the Smooth Criminal suit.

saiyan_monkey
06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
I went for Thriller's outfit. Might be cause thats the first time I ever seen MJ. Dont get me wrong, the white suit is massive but I was just never familiar with it apart from Moonwalker (which I think Ive already said) and had forgotten about the smooth criminal video until I seen it the other night on telly.

Thanks ThirdMarioBro for setting this up. I didnt know how to do the polls yet.

ThirdMarioBro
06-30-2009, 10:54 PM
I stare at your Moonwalker sigs at least 2-5 minutes daily, TMB. Just letting you know. :P

I do the exact same thing. :lol:

XERO
06-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Cool beans. I'm not alone. :lol:

ThirdMarioBro
06-30-2009, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-WVpQ0ZG8Q&feature=related

Smooth Criminal, FINALLY in Widescreen. Enjoy.

XERO
06-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Now that I think about it, MJ had a select few of 'iconic' costumes. It's just that these 2 are the most well known and most universal.

ThirdMarioBro
07-01-2009, 12:03 AM
I've been washing and re-wearing my black, white striped 'Billie Jean' pants since Friday. That was an amazing getup too.

XERO
07-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Hell, yeah. Debut of the moonwalk, sir.

I always liked the 'Remember the Time' outfit, too.

ThirdMarioBro
07-01-2009, 12:17 AM
unFqwXFVn8o

I'd walk around like that all day if I could. If only my Moonwalk didn't suck.

Jester
07-01-2009, 12:25 AM
When Michael was made into a video game character, which did he wear?

I rest my case...:P

XERO
07-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Heh, mine was decent, but I definitely needed slippery floors to pull it off with the least amount of effort.

BTW, is that video from his Budapest concert in '92?

ThirdMarioBro
07-01-2009, 02:50 AM
Probably. Its been a while.

GK Punk
07-01-2009, 03:00 AM
When Michael was made into a video game character, which did he wear?

I rest my case...:P

They never made a video game called "Thriller." So that's kind of a silly argument.

XERO
07-01-2009, 03:02 AM
I think it is. I remember that completely. I think it came on HBO that time, and we taped it on VCR.

One of the best concerts he ever did. 8)

At the end, he performed 'Man in the Mirror' and took off on a friggin' jetpack.

EDIT:

They never made a video game called "Thriller." So that's kind of a silly argument.

They could have, though. It'd be like vanguard version of Resident Evil... but with monkeys. :lol:

Candy Kappa
07-01-2009, 03:03 AM
He looks badass in Smooth criminal

ThirdMarioBro
07-01-2009, 03:07 AM
God, I remember that. It was the coolest freaking thing I had ever seen. HBO doesn't do concerts as often as they once did.

XERO
07-01-2009, 03:17 AM
I remember that show almost to a T.

I freaked out when he did the 'Thriller' song, being 8 years old at the time.

After he did the second verse, zombies popped out from these 4 crypt-looking walls he had set up. They did the dance number from the video, followed by the narration of Vincent Price (in which Michael transformed into his werewolf character).

After that, the zombies placed him inside a glass coffin and covered it up with a large cloth. Skeleton mannequins came out as this happened, and as they played their part, the coffin begin to float in the air, still covered by the cloth.

As soon as the final note of the song played, the zombies removed the cloth, and the coffin was f*cking gone.

I swear, I almost couldn't sleep after that.

MJ put on a hell of a show that night. :lol:

ThirdMarioBro
07-01-2009, 03:24 AM
God yes, it was one of those rare special moments where Thriller was actually done justice live. The whole thing was broadcast live and practically shut down the national cable grid. That was the fu*king SH*T.

Oh lookie, what is this? Win.

MWq1uMJOA1Q

That was such a magical time in the music world. Sure, we were nearing the end of an era or epic awesome, but it went out with a freaking bang.

Jester
07-01-2009, 03:43 AM
They never made a video game called "Thriller." So that's kind of a silly argument. Wrong answer...we would have excepted: "Yes, but what dance move does he use to kill the whole screen? THRILLER!!"

GK Punk
07-01-2009, 03:58 AM
Wrong answer...we would have excepted: "Yes, but what dance move does he use to kill the whole screen? THRILLER!!"

Did you also find it odd they didn't play Thriller in that game? There was a perfect level for it too.

Jester
07-01-2009, 04:08 AM
It's been mentioned...

Um...I've never played Moonwalker. Or seen Moonwalker. Or been able to Moonwalk.

GK Punk
07-01-2009, 04:10 AM
...Get out of this thread...

XERO
07-01-2009, 04:53 AM
Oh lookie, what is this? Win.

MWq1uMJOA1Q

You're forever the f*cking man, TMB. FOREVER. 8) 8)

Ah, it's actually pronounced 'Bucharest'? I said 'Budapest'.

... I believe a 'my bad' is in full effect. :lol:

Did you also find it odd they didn't play Thriller in that game? There was a perfect level for it too.

Yeah, the graveyard level. Instead of 'Thriller', we got 'Another Part of Me.'

That's like watching Power Rangers and we get the Beetleborgs theme. :P

GK Punk
07-01-2009, 05:07 AM
That always bothered me. Nothing against "another part of me" but Thriller would have been perfect for it.

XERO
07-01-2009, 05:12 AM
Yeah. But really, who's complaining? That game kicked so much ass, it's forgiven.

One question, though:

How the hell does a monkey turn you into a robot????

Doc_ock_4mugen
07-01-2009, 06:03 AM
Yeah. But really, who's complaining? That game kicked so much ass, it's forgiven.

One question, though:

How the hell does a monkey turn you into a robot????

Well, that is a really nice question. I guess Because Michael was not a normal man. His body oozed awesomeness as it magically twirled and moved. Maybe that awesomeness reacted with the monkey's specialness or something...

But how does eating pizza cure bullet holes, laser blasts, mouser bites, etc? Or Mushrooms make you big while flowers make you spit fireballs and stars make you invincible while the "dadada-dadadadada" song plays on? Somethings we'll never know... for now... like how many licks it takes to reach the center of a tootsie pop? did we solve that one? I need to know...

Mecha Cow
07-01-2009, 06:31 AM
I'd say both outfits are pretty much equally iconic, and the suit looks better so I'm going with Smooth Criminal. I like the song better too.

XERO
07-01-2009, 02:33 PM
But how does eating pizza cure bullet holes, laser blasts, mouser bites, etc? Or Mushrooms make you big while flowers make you spit fireballs and stars make you invincible while the "dadada-dadadadada" song plays on? Somethings we'll never know... for now... like how many licks it takes to reach the center of a tootsie pop? did we solve that one? I need to know...

Yeah, but you kinda expect those things in those videogames.

I know for sure that when anybody ever first played Moonwalker, they didn't expect Michael to shoot out lightning from his hands, let alone have Bubbles transform him into a robot.

There's no way you could've predicted that playing for the first time, unless you saw the movie. But even the movie didn't have Michael shooting lightning from his hands. They did have the robot, even though a monkey didn't cause it.

He got the sh*t kicked out of him. By Joe Pesci. And if Pesci can kick your butt, you DESERVE to turn into a robot and blast his ass. :lol:

Tootsie Pops taste like crap, anyway. The real question is 'how many licks does it take before you go back to Blow Pop?' :P

Peanut
07-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Wait, in which version of Moonwalker did Bubbles turn you into a robot? The arcade version?

GK Punk
07-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah, in the Genesis version I think he just pointed which direction to go.

Peanut
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Yeah, in the Genesis version I think he just pointed which direction to go.

Which is what I was thinking. I only ever remember Bubbles showing the way to the "boss" fight at the end of a level. I only turned into a robot once, and that was for getting hit by a shooting star.

XERO
07-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Wait, in which version of Moonwalker did Bubbles turn you into a robot? The arcade version?

Yeah. Bubbles is just there roaming around, you walk up to him, and PRESTO! Instant robotification.

I never got to play the Genesis version. Is it any good?

Doc_ock_4mugen
07-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah, but you kinda expect those things in those videogames.

I know for sure that when anybody ever first played Moonwalker, they didn't expect Michael to shoot out lightning from his hands, let alone have Bubbles transform him into a robot.

There's no way you could've predicted that playing for the first time, unless you saw the movie. But even the movie didn't have Michael shooting lightning from his hands. They did have the robot, even though a monkey didn't cause it.

He got the sh*t kicked out of him. By Joe Pesci. And if Pesci can kick your butt, you DESERVE to turn into a robot and blast his ass. :lol:

Tootsie Pops taste like crap, anyway. The real question is 'how many licks does it take before you go back to Blow Pop?' :P

But It's Michael. With him anything goes... So if lots of weird stuff happen on his videos, then weirder stuff could happen on his game...

I agree about the Joe Pesci thing... If I got pwned by the guy who get beaten up by a kid frequently, I'd turn into a robot and cap his ass.

Tootsie pops do NOT taste like crap... Crap tastes better, but I still haven't found out how many licks does it take to reach the center of the Tootsie Pop (wanna write poop, but I wont... Tootsie Poop... I really need to get a life.)

BTW Moonwalker's Arcade version is a lot better than the Sega Genesis one. Too bad that I cannot find the game anymore... (I miss a lot of the older arcade games)

ThirdMarioBro
07-01-2009, 08:15 PM
The arcade version is actually still a fun game to this day. The games may share a few sprites, but they otherwise aren't even comparable. I can't even look at the Genesis version now. I enjoyed it when that was all I knew there was, but when I found the arcade version, I never looked back. The gameplay is better, there's actually a Smooth Criminal level, they pulled out Thriller when it was needed (although you can actually Gameshark Thriller out of the Genesis cart -- its in the code, just not used), and the music is all in the right key.

Case and point:
Moonwalker Arcade...teh win.
fuvnZc5yr3s

Moonwalker Genesis...teh suck
FBmy9c-Ag7E

Arcade game is awesome.

GK Punk
07-01-2009, 08:16 PM
I like the genesis version still. It's like Shinobi but with dancing.

ThirdMarioBro
07-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Meh, I like Shinobi, but the Genny version of Moonwalker is kind of hard to play now. But I can still cruise through the arcade game and have a blast.

XERO
07-01-2009, 08:19 PM
I like the genesis version still. It's like Shinobi but with dancing.

Ha, you got me thinking of Shadow Dancer.

I can just picture MJ tossing his fedora like a shuriken and Bubbles following him around, screeching at the bad guys.:lol:

GK Punk
07-01-2009, 08:20 PM
That's funny, cause I've always prefered the genesis version to the Arcade. I think it's the Shinobi like game play. I mean, of course the music is better in the Arcade version, it has a better sound board. But I always had fun with the Genesis version, still do.

How do you get Thriller in the Gen version? I'd love to hear it.

Ha, you got me thinking of Shadow Dancer.

I can just picture MJ tossing his fedora like a shuriken and Bubbles following him around, screeching at the bad guys.:lol:

Which is actually my favorite Shinobi game.

XERO
07-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Which is actually my favorite Shinobi game.

Fa' sho. The music was badass, too.8)

ThirdMarioBro
07-01-2009, 10:50 PM
How do you get Thriller in the Gen version? I'd love to hear it.

yFO9Z1Yc-_A

Behold, Thriller in 6-Channel FM, 4-channel PCM glory.

GK Punk
07-01-2009, 11:21 PM
That;s really cool actually.

XERO
07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
It's too bad he never decided to make a sequel. Daniel Stern could be the new villian, thereby completing the 'Home Alone' cycle. :P

If they did make one and released a game for it, what songs you see being used in it?

ThirdMarioBro
07-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Well, I already got Stranger In Moscow in Sonic 3, so that's a no-go. :)

XERO
07-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Hehe, no doubt.

Maybe some 'Black or White', 'Jam', 'Scream', 'Who Is It?', and 'Give In To Me.'

That should be enough for five more levels.

ThirdMarioBro
07-02-2009, 01:07 AM
'Who Is It?'

Does Ice Cap Zone count? lol

XERO
07-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Does Ice Cap Zone count? lol

D'oh! :x

Okay, how about 'Dirty Diana' instead?

ThirdMarioBro
07-02-2009, 03:24 AM
I'd love to hack that game and add more levels of awesome. I'd just plug the coins in and listen to the music. Add a level with 'Ghosts' to your list and you've got an epic playlist.

XERO
07-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Dude, I almost forgot about 'Ghosts'. I think he broke the record for number of times he did the Moonwalk in that video, haha.

Just to be fair (and for the sake of this thread :P ), we should have 2-player co-op with Thriller MJ and Smooth Criminal MJ.

Only then, it truly won't matter if you're 'Black or White.' And I'm calling that b*tch for the Credits Theme. :lol:

ThirdMarioBro
07-02-2009, 04:11 AM
But you have to make sure you include the Captain EO suit as an unlockable. :)

XERO
07-02-2009, 04:20 AM
Good call, sir.

Now that I think about, that's probably where they got the inspiration of MJ shooting energy blasts from his hands.

saiyan_monkey
07-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Doesnt look like the Thriller is doing too well.

GK Punk
07-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Doesnt look like the Thriller is doing too well.

That's cause there's a lot of communists around here!