PDA

View Full Version : Evanescence

07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Anyone into this band? I played the three songs they have on Rock Band 2 (I'm that kind of person), and I loved them so much that I went and bought their CD's off Amazon. Really great group. I love the vocals a lot.

Trolls welcome. :)

SassyGal
07-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I must say I do like their music and the vocals are pretty awesome. When I bought their first album I loved it so much that I played it over and over. :)

07-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I agree, their first album is solid. Not a bad song on it.

SassyGal
07-07-2009, 09:36 PM
I was surprised that I liked the whole album because I'm really bad for liking the singles and then feeling like the rest of an album doesn't measure up, but you're right, there isn't a bad song on it.

07-07-2009, 09:41 PM
I used to be the same way, because with Japanese music (what I listen to the most), their sales are mainly from the singles that they release, and not albums. So when it comes time to produce an album, the non-single songs are just not nearly as good. So I would just listen to the singles and skip the rest.

Now I give everything a chance. I'm glad I do, because there are a lot of great songs.

sdp
07-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Nightwish-lite.

Catchy but far from original.

GK Punk
07-07-2009, 09:51 PM
They are okay. Amy Lee's voice gets on my nerves after a few songs though. She only has one tone she sings in, and it just starts to get to me after awhile.

Didn't she fire the original band a few years back?

Ninjinister
07-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Evanescence is one of the few modern bands I like. I occasionally go on an Evanescence bender and listen to a select number of their songs on continuous loop for a short while.

XERO
07-07-2009, 10:12 PM
My ex-roomate was a big fan of them, and he turned me on to them as well.

Here's hoping they release another album sometime soon.

ThirdMarioBro
07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I actually used to like them quite a bit. Haven't kept up with their current stuff, regrettably. I remember when they started out as a bleh Christian band in Little Rock because they were on the local stations from time to time.

Hannah
07-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Are you guys kidding? Tell me you're f*cking joking.

Cure
07-08-2009, 09:56 AM
I like them, too, I just don't see how anyone can think Amy Lee is hot. I like her voice, though.

Sewer Bull
07-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I didn't know they still existed, honestly. I thought they split up a few years ago.

SassyGal
07-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I heard Amy Lee quit and Ben Moody is back. They're supposed to be coming out with a new album this year, but I don't know who the replacement singer is going to be. They changed their name to Fallen too...which I guess would make them a whole new band. :)

Another band that is similar to Evanescence is Within Temptation & they're really good too.

07-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I enjoy Within Temptation, as well, though they are a more extreme version. But I haven't heard their newer stuff, and I heard that they changed their style a bit, so I'll have to check that out.

raphael_is_cool
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Are you guys kidding? Tell me you're f*cking joking.

That's what I thought.

Over here they were number one for a while with 'Wake Me Up'. Cheesy as hell song with a really laughable video.

I heard people who like them like Lacuna Coil and Nightwish though. So maybe check them out too if you like Evanescence?

Sewer Bull
07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
That's what I thought.

Over here they were number one for a while with 'Wake Me Up'. Cheesy as hell song with a really laughable video.

I think you mean 'Bring Me To Life', but yeah, I just refreshed it and it's incredibly corny:

K3ORuIBjjBU

raphael_is_cool
07-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Ah yeah, thought I may have been wrong but didn't care to check :P

GK Punk
07-09-2009, 09:09 PM
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=16535

Meeeemoriess

ThirdMarioBro
07-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Man, that video is screaming emo.

Hannah
07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=16535

Meeeemoriess

SCREW YOU! I was like twelve! I hate you so much!

GK Punk
07-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Haha, don't feel bad. We've all done **** like that.

XERO
07-09-2009, 09:57 PM
It's safe to say that this thread is more positive about the band that that one. :lol:

07-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Man, that video is screaming emo.

I hate to break it to you, TMB, but contrary to popular opinion, lyrics to a song don't necessarily reflect the mental state of the fan. That's a pretty big problem with people accepting others' taste in music, and I believe it stems from labeling genres. Now, I can understand why you would use genres. It makes for good categorization. However, you need to be careful about that, because like several forms of stereotyping, it can cause problems.

I don't really blame anyone, because it's natural to feel strong about your opinions when you really enjoy something, but I always try my best to respect the interests and opinions of others (to the people who deserve it anyway).

GK Punk
07-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Everything gets callled Emo these days, and it's pretty ****ing irritating to be honest.

XERO
07-09-2009, 11:03 PM
It's funny, because I listen to this band and it doesn't sound Emo to me at all.

I like them mostly because of the guitar riffs, though, so I guess that's not saying much.

Everythng is emo? Er, okay. I guess that goes for Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and all the old school legends. In fact, any musician who sung, rapped, or composed for the sake of positivity. Yeah, real emo.

Hell, why not throw in Michael Jackson, too?

Yeah, having an opinion is cool and all, but do they have to make them that ridiculous?

Sewer Bull
07-10-2009, 12:50 AM
I hate to break it to you, TMB, but contrary to popular opinion, lyrics to a song don't necessarily reflect the mental state of the fan. That's a pretty big problem with people accepting others' taste in music, and I believe it stems from labeling genres. Now, I can understand why you would use genres. It makes for good categorization. However, you need to be careful about that, because like several forms of stereotyping, it can cause problems.

I don't really blame anyone, because it's natural to feel strong about your opinions when you really enjoy something, but I always try my best to respect the interests and opinions of others (to the people who deserve it anyway).

... but he was talking about the video, actually.

07-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Well, I was thinking that he also meant the band. But if not, then I'm sorry.

FlawedCoil82
07-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Evanescence is pretty good. But NO ONE can top Within Temptation. That band is amazing! They've been my favorite female fronted band for several years now. Check out anything from THE SILENT FORCE or THE HEART OF EVERYTHING.

"Frozen" is one of my top favorite songs by Within Temptation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piNMccsKT0o

Apart from Within Temptation and Evanescence, some other fantastic female fronted bands I highly recommend are...

Lacuna Coil
Era For A Moment
Lunatica
Nightwish (newer stuff only...can't stand Tarja, the old vocalist)
Autumn
Delain
Echoes Of Eternity
La-Ventura
Fireflight
Paramore
In This Moment
Leaves' Eyes
Delight
Angtoria
Brave
Flyleaf
Lennon Murphy
You're Pretty
Veruca Salt
Lullacry
Nemesea
Unsun
Sirenia
A.D.D.
Fountain Of Tears
Chumley's Toy
Asrai
The Birthday Massacre
Seminole County
The Cranberries
Antonamasia

That's enough I guess for anyone who isn't afraid to explore new music that the radio stations will NEVER play (yes, apart from the ones GK listed below). :D However there are tons more I don't really like such as After Forever, Edenbridge, Otep, Kittie, Epica, etc.
Jack

GK Punk
07-10-2009, 01:50 AM
That's enough I guess for anyone who isn't afraid to explore new music that the radio stations will NEVER play. :D

Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Paramore
In This Moment
Flyleaf
Veruca Salt
The Cranberries
Kittie
Otep

..>Really? 'cause I've heard all of those on the radio, and more than just once or twice.

FlawedCoil82
07-10-2009, 01:58 AM
I should have said "most" of them. Yes, all the bands you listed though have record labels in America, thus why they are played on the radio in some cities. Within Temptation is on Roadrunner Records in America but hardly anyone who didn't already know about them before has ever heard of them because Roadrunner did a PITIFUL job of promoting them here.

But I threw in some mainstream bands as well to show that I am not only an underground fan. I love both indie and mainstream rock. ;)
Jack

Sewer Bull
07-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Apart from Within Temptation and Evanescence, some other fantastic female fronted bands I highly recommend are...

I'd add Visions of Atlantis to your list as well.

FlawedCoil82
07-10-2009, 02:02 AM
I am not a fan of Visions Of Atlantis. :-? I don't like the more "opera styled" female vocals (nor do I like "beauty and the beast" vocals where they have a male growler destroying the music like in Battlelore and countless other bands).
Jack

GK Punk
07-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Some of those that I listed, get played on Sirius a good deal. (Not just the main stream ones.)

ThirdMarioBro
07-10-2009, 03:51 AM

I was just referring to the video. As previously stated, I'm quite fond of the band. Truth be told, I throw that word around a lot, probably without proper definition. Either way, I like the song quite a bit (I love music with dark themes), but I find the video hysterically laughable.