PDA

View Full Version : ABC Family Will Edit Reruns For "Terroristic" Imag

tekcop
03-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Check out this article at toonzone.net (http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69853).

:x :x :x :x :x

Stupid. Supposedly they're going to edit out Darkwing Duck's gas gun. God know what they're going to do to the Gargoyles.

Donatello02
03-12-2003, 02:35 PM
That's frigging stupid as hell. What is the point of that? Honestly, will that somehow hypnotize the youth into being fundamentalists and terrorists. Yeah ok.

Eye of Sarnath
03-12-2003, 02:38 PM
Well...

THAT'S REALLY STUPID.

That Matt Guy
03-12-2003, 03:06 PM
When I think of terrorism, the first image that comes to my mind is Darkwing Duck's gas gun.

Eye of Sarnath
03-12-2003, 03:59 PM
And I thought I was the only one.

Shellfox
03-12-2003, 04:08 PM
I can't believe this, how much more can they edit out of DW, don't remove the gun, half the scenes won't make any since with out it, its not like it even looks like a real gun

Leo656
03-12-2003, 04:11 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

"Political Correctness" is the first step towards creating a nation of mindless robots. I've had it up to here with everyone trying NOT to offend anyone else. It's so damn stupid.

One Radical Dude
03-12-2003, 05:26 PM
I cannot stand the PC crowd. I guess there won't be anymore "suck gas, evil doer" :tneutral: :tsad:

Shellfox
03-12-2003, 07:09 PM
As it is now I can't watch DW sell his soul to lusifer, how dare they remove more parts.

Jason
03-13-2003, 03:14 PM
The original article was on USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2003-03-05-kids-fight-side_x.htm

As it mentions the majority of the edits will be to Power Rangers where for example they are cutting all the footage of buildings being destroyed (which happened virtually every episode in the pre Sep 11th aired eps).
They have also made the villains sound less threatening for example instead of "destroying" the rangers they can only "defeat" them.
Lines such as "it looks like he's attacking the city" are completely cut from the old episode reruns.
Attacks on civilians are non-existent anymore.

For Power Rangers fans I know they edited a comedy scene in "Green With Evil" when Bulk and Skull say "the buildings falling down" and then a plank of wood lands in front them.
In "Journey's End" they cut the Stingwingers attaching themselves to the buildings and blowing themselves up.
Some episodes such as "Full Exposure" may be completely banned from rerun in the US (the episode was heavily cut on it's last US rerun back in 2001 on Fox Kids).
In Time Force they even cut a shot of the Time Shadow standing on top of two skyscrapers because they thought it resembled the Twin Towers. If it was actually attacking the buildings or something then they might have had a good reason but all it was doing was standing there and the towers weren't even 'twins' in this case they were just tall buildings.

Donatello02
03-13-2003, 03:17 PM
I agree with Leo, nothing more then childish tactics. It's stupid and pointless. Next, they'll be taking out every single reference to "war" or weapons. It'll be just white stick figures with mindleses smiling faces with an American flag in their hands.

That Matt Guy
03-13-2003, 03:19 PM
For Power Rangers fans I know they edited a comedy scene in "Green With Evil" when Bulk and Skull say "the buildings falling down" and then a plank of wood lands in front them.

How dare they edit a Bulk and Skull scene! :evil:

beaker
03-13-2003, 04:47 PM
Wow, 1.5 years later the super villian Osama and his terrorists continue to win...good going ABC! Giving in to terrorists!

Shellfox
03-13-2003, 04:49 PM
They're removing attacks on cities?!?!?!?

That'll kill 80% of the shows, every Spider-Man, Power Ranger, Digiman are banned by this definition. All we'll be left with is pokemon style crap shows

Jephael
03-13-2003, 04:53 PM
What is up the censors ASSES anymore?!

Dontebell
03-13-2003, 05:01 PM
don't worry,when they start rebulid the W.T.C evrey-thing will be back to normal.

Jephael
03-13-2003, 05:08 PM
It would really tick me off if they did any major editing to the original TMNT show.

Shadow
03-13-2003, 05:21 PM
It would really tick me off if they did any major editing to the original TMNT show.

i second that motion.

Kameko
03-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Check out this article at toonzone.net (http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69853).

:x :x :x :x :x

Stupid. Supposedly they're going to edit out Darkwing Duck's gas gun. God know what they're going to do to the Gargoyles.

How can they get rid of DW's gas gun??? It's his TRADEMARK frickin' weapon! Not to mention that one of his main catchphrases (Suck gas, Evil Doer) -- which I love, btw -- won't make much sense without it. :tsweatdr:

And Gargoyles. Holy Mother. I don't know where to begin. I know they'll take out the word 'damn' that slipped through in one episode, and the bit with Elisa getting shot, and the 'stone' gargoyles being smashed (eg, killed), and omigosh, they'll have to get rid of the pregnant Fox, which makes Alex Xanatos' sudden existence a little hard to explain, and heaven forbid that any characters should use swords or guns or explosives or lasers, and ... and... :flaming: and I'll quit now.

And what about Mighty Ducks? What about the puck launchers and lasers? What about the city destruction and work camps (slavery) and implied death (Canard)? And that's only from the first two episodes!

I can understand them wanting to edit out nudity (DragonBallZ, Digimon) and excessive gore, but they're going way too far. Pretty soon the only thing left to watch is gonna be Teletubbies and Barney. :tdead:

Somebody kill me now.

Donatello02
03-13-2003, 06:17 PM
There's nudity in digimon???

Dontebell
03-13-2003, 06:19 PM
well i hope they won't edit out the real ghostbusters.if they come back on tv.

Kameko
03-13-2003, 06:20 PM
In the original Japanese. A shower scene, where one of the girls gets out of the shower and one of the boys is in the room, and you can see her in the mirror. Like, alot of her.

A friend of mine has watched that version and told me about it. We both get a kick out of trying to find the stuff that slipped by the censors in cartoons.

Reznorite420
03-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Well...

THAT'S REALLY STUPID.I couldn't have said it better myself.

What is the world coming to? Have we all become a bunch of whimps? If you ask me, I hardly see how something like that could be reminiscent to "terroristic images". I mean, come on, it's not real, and you shouldn't even let the TV be a babysitter anyway.

Why, WHY won't people get that through their heads?????

Tokka-B
03-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Hmmm, I believe these are the same people that associate Saddam Hussein with terrorism...

I guess we really can't produce anything we want anymore, as our country has promised, this is a sad era..... :cry:

darthsmozers
03-13-2003, 09:12 PM
If you're ever in a us history class, take a look at the political cartoons from 1700's to early 1900's....theres so many things in there like farts, dismemberment, guns, knives, demons, etc.....now, its like u cant draw a picture of a bulding falling over because of some supervillian without it being censored....

TMNT is cooler than MOTU
03-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Jaysis...

It's like if there is anything even remotely related to terrorism, it's like saying f*ck. TV censors are getting really anal these days. Also, what about Godzilla fans? They're never gonna' get another movie aired on TV!

Reznorite420
03-14-2003, 05:59 PM
About these TV censors being anal, think about this: They either are or were born from baby boomers who grew up as hippies and wanted "peace" this and "love" that. Gad, it makes me sick.[/George Carlin]

Tokka-B
03-14-2003, 06:18 PM
I don't think hippies had anything to do with tv...they were just pot smokers that tried to promote peace, censorship dates back before then...

Jephael
03-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Yeah, just look at I Dream of Jeanie. They had issues with her belly button being visable when that series was on back in the day. Speaking of which, did anyone watch the TV Land Awards? They were funny!

That Matt Guy
03-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Most of those old shows would censor anything to do with sex, but violence? Go watch those old Westerns and count how many Indians get blown away.

Jephael
03-14-2003, 07:50 PM
That reminds me, did anyone see what some cable stations did to that scene in Back to the Future when the terrorists shoot Doc up right before Marty gets away in the DeLoreon, which leads to him going back in time? They went and cut out every close up they had of the shooter and the driver just to be PC. You should here what the writer has to say in the DVD commentary about that.

Donatello02
03-14-2003, 07:54 PM
That's gay. Super gay. Back to the Future is an awesome movie, nothing in it should be changed.

Shellfox
03-14-2003, 08:18 PM
thats almost as bad as removing all the guns in ET and replacing them with walkie- Talkies and terrorist with hippie

The Stryker
03-14-2003, 09:18 PM
No godzilla?!!?!?!?!?
No darkwing gas gun!?!?!?
No spider-man?!?!?!?!?!?!?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

*head explodes*

Reznorite420
03-16-2003, 08:17 PM
In short, this is how the cartoons will be aired on ABC Family:

*TV spot comes on*

"Coming up next on ABC Family, The Real Ghostbusters!"

*the moment that's said, the ending credits roll for the cartoon*

"Coming up next on ABC Family..."

Geez, you get the picture!

NB: That was just an example, not actually saying that TRG is gonna be back on there or not...

One Radical Dude
03-16-2003, 11:36 PM
I still see BTTF with the Libyans/terrorists scene on TV.

That Matt Guy
03-17-2003, 01:41 AM
Who the hell watches ABC Family anyway?

Nickokapo
03-17-2003, 04:25 AM
Ya digimon has some 'nudity' if you can call it that, also a scene on episode 8 when they take a bath... :P it was aired in the latinamerican dub of the show, but cut on the northamerican one, seems like america couldnt handle it :roll:
Now the darkwing duck thing is just stupid...unless...OMG, HOW COME I HAVENT NOTICED ALL MY LIFE, HE'S A TERRORIST DUCK!
It's all clear now...terrorist toons...yeah :teek:
They'll also censore beavis and butthead's farts, they are terrorist gas attacks that polute the world and kids could become terrorist by watching it.
Jeebus christ...

Jephael
03-17-2003, 06:45 AM
LOL, actually, Beavis and Butt-head were kinda like terrorists because they kept pissing people off with their crude behavior.

As for DW, I just think that's a horrible assumption.

Kameko
03-17-2003, 01:02 PM
:roll: Let's face it: If they censor Beavis & Butthead, they'll have nothing left to air.

One Radical Dude
03-17-2003, 01:32 PM
:roll: Let's face it: If they censor Beavis & Butthead, they'll have nothing left to air.

Well, they still might show the two of them laughing, and then the show ends. :p

That Matt Guy
03-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Well, they don't even show Beavis and Butthead on TV anymore. At least not to my knowing.

Reznorite420
03-17-2003, 10:37 PM
I just remembered something...

I guess this won't be the channel to air the old TMNT cartoon reruns if it ever gets back on the air in the US. Remember, there are at least 2 episodes with mention of the Twin Towers...

Jephael
03-18-2003, 06:32 PM
Yeah, they played a really big role in the series back when the show was set in New York.

Reznorite420
03-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Yeah, they played a really big role in the series back when the show was set in New York.Wasn't the show always in New York?

Jephael
03-20-2003, 08:15 PM
Theoretically yes, but in the '90s they chose not to mention it because they wanted the TMNT to exist in a generic area so they could live anywhere (which I'm sure most people found vaguely stupid)