PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play an instrument?

saiyan_monkey
07-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Any instrument welcome wether you are just starting to learn or if you are a master at your chosen instrument or if you want to play something but dont know what.

I play mainly bass guitar until I brought 2 electric guitars last year. I still suck at the guitar hence why I spend most my time with the bass but I cant complain too much for under a years practice.

For those that do play are there any somgs that you are learning at the moment?

Ive just learnt Billie Jean bass lines and its really fun to play along with (well for me anyway) Another 2 I have started learning on the bass is Disturbed Stricken and Priestess Lay Down but I do prefer at the moment to play in standard tuning.

GK Punk
07-24-2009, 12:30 AM
I play Guitar, and I've dabbled in bass and singing over the years. My main guitar is a Les Paul Standard. I also own an Epi Strat copy from the early 90's, a Fender Squier from 96 (That pretty much completely fell apart.) and a couple of Ibanez accoustics.

I have nerve damage (slightly) in my left hand so I can't obsessively play as much as I wish.

I've been trying to figure out Tommy heavenly's "Wait for me there" by ear, probably have a bout half the song figured out.

saiyan_monkey
07-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Awesome, (not the nerve damage) but your guitars but is a pitty bout your hand. Ive only got 1 bass and 2 guitars. My bass is a Fender Squier (mint bass to play) and my 2 guitars are just cheap ones. Im still unsure if guitar is what I really want to play hence the cheap guitars but if it is then I'll upgrade to something nicer like a Gibson Flying V. I also want to get a 5 string accoustic bass for the sound. My neighbour has one and it sounds mint.

My guitars. (still need good amp upgrades)

Fender Squier
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/rarecardz_libary_5/1-10.jpg

Harper Les Paul (nice to play)
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/rarecardz_libary_5/3-10.jpg

Manix Explorer (crap guitar but looks cool)
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/rarecardz_libary_5/2-10.jpg

GK Punk
07-24-2009, 12:47 AM
To me the single-cut style guitars like Les Pauls feel perfect. And the sound is just amazing and full. A Friend of mine has a Flying V, those are pretty bad ass also. a little awkward to play when sitting down though.

Squiers are generally good guitars actually. Just I think the one I got was a bit of a lemon. It won't hold tune and the bridge pickup just up and died on me one day.

I'd really love to own a PRS of some sort. I could see myself easily getting a Singlecut, but part of me is interesting in their more standard styles.

Peanut
07-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I've played the harmonica since I was 12.

GK Punk
07-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Wait, seriously? Cause that's really bad ass. I own one but never learned how to use it.

saiyan_monkey
07-24-2009, 12:59 AM
I know what you mean about the v's. Out of the guitars I have played the single cuts have felt and sounded alot nicer and easy to hold like the Les Paul style (which is my favourite guitar) I love the fret board style. I think I just having something odd like the manix. I am sure ive had luck with my Fender, after about a month of playing I might need to tune it. I did get a fuzz in the pickup about 2 years ago and a freind mentioned running a magnet over it and it auctully worked but apart from that no probs.

Peanut
07-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Wait, seriously? Cause that's really bad ass. I own one but never learned how to use it.

Totally. I remember when I was young really wanting one, then my parents bought my sister a guitar, and asked me if I wanted to play an instrument. I said harmonica, and they kinda laughed, but they got it for me, anyways. I haven't played very much in the last 3 or 4 years, but I can still pull it off.

I actually used to play the harmonica solo at the end of the D12 song "Purple Pills" all the time for my friends.

saiyan_monkey
07-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Mint I like them. Ive had a small try on a harmonica and I reckon they're pretty hard to play, might just be me.

XERO
07-24-2009, 01:52 AM
I play piano, but I've been wanting to learn guitar for the longest.

Peanut
07-24-2009, 01:58 AM
Mint I like them. Ive had a small try on a harmonica and I reckon they're pretty hard to play, might just be me.

They're really finicky. You can pick up a guitar and be told exactly how to play a specific note immediately. You'll pick up a harmonica, be explained how to play it, be shown exactly how to play it, and then it'll still sound wrong. Once you get the hang of it, it's fairly easy, though. It's just a lot harder to get started than with a guitar.

XERO
07-24-2009, 02:02 AM
I was one of those '2 note' abusers whenever I had a harmonica.

GK Punk
07-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Yeah with a guitar it's a matter of someone saying "Place finger 1 here, finger 2 here finger 3 here, and then strum" and you just played a chord. Sure, you may not know what to DO with that chord, but it's easy enough to learn the chords on their own.

saiyan_monkey
07-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Yeah with a guitar it's a matter of someone saying "Place finger 1 here, finger 2 here finger 3 here, and then strum" and you just played a chord. Sure, you may not know what to DO with that chord, but it's easy enough to learn the chords on their own.

I wish I had someone to teach me that. Ive learnt though my chord finder and books

Peanut
07-24-2009, 02:09 AM

That's for sure. A single person has (briefly) attempted to teach me guitar in my life, and in that almost infinitesimal amount of time, I somehow managed to snap 2 strings and get a scratch on the paint job. This isn't an exaggeration, I am that terrible at guitar.

GK Punk
07-24-2009, 02:10 AM
I was taught a handful of basic open chords and did the rest on my own.

Edit; Yeah haha, it really can be like that too. A lot of beginners are really rough on the strings I've noticed.

saiyan_monkey
07-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Ive never ever broken a string on bass or guitar through play, only with tuning.

GK Punk
07-24-2009, 02:17 AM
I haven't in years come to think of it. I usually just change the strings when they are dirty and sound bad.

XERO
07-24-2009, 02:22 AM
Do you guys ever do any improv solos?

saiyan_monkey
07-24-2009, 02:23 AM
Im still not that developed on a guitar but I play some guitar stuff on the bass

GK Punk
07-24-2009, 02:26 AM
I do more rythm playing than lead, but everyonce in awhile I give it a go. The nerve damage kind of limits my speed for it though.

saiyan_monkey
07-24-2009, 02:34 AM
Leads some difficult stuff to pull off but I do look forward to been able to play something in a lead part.

XERO
07-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Well, they don't have to be Hendrix-worthy. Just as long as I know that you guys can attempt them.

I'm always down for solos. :)

GK Punk
07-24-2009, 02:40 AM
Mine are very Cobain esque. I wish I could play like Slash more than anything though.

saiyan_monkey
07-24-2009, 02:45 AM
I can do about 2 full nirvana songs onguitar. About a girl and scoff. I learnt them from tabs online which arent the correct way of playing them.

GK Punk
07-24-2009, 02:51 AM
about a girl was the first Nirvana song I learned full actually :lol:

saiyan_monkey
07-24-2009, 03:02 AM
True. I found it a good starting point. I recently got an official Nirvana Bleach guitar book and turns out the tabs I learnt were a simple basic way of playing it. The tabs in the book are at least 3 times harder.

cowabunga14
07-25-2009, 12:51 PM
I play harmonica sometimes.

Samurai Usagi
07-25-2009, 02:06 PM
I can play the mouth harp or harmonica. I can play Silent Night and What Shall We Do With the Drunken Sailor?

raphael_is_cool
07-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Okay. You asked for it...

I've been playing bass for over 9 years now. I like to think I'm pretty good but I've never really worked on my finger-picking technique because of the style of the bands I've been in. I'd have to start wearing my bass higher too and unless you're freaking John Entwistle that's not cool :P
I've spent ages learning scales and such (and my bands don't really vary much) that I can improvise quite a bit too.

I've been playing guitar on and off for about five years. As with bass, I've just been teaching myself so I'm not fantastic.
I'm pretty useless when it comes to any lead stuff, I can try and write the odd solo but I'm so into the bass mindset it never sounds like a true solo.
When I play guitar it tends to be to check bass stuff works. Although I do have a little dream of having a Hot Snakes/Nirvana alt-rock/grunge-like band.

When my close friend (and the guitarist in the band from 2002) noticed Reel Big Fish tuned down a step for live shows (or at least one we saw),
he figured that was a good idea and I've been stuck like that for so long I usually stick with it.
Because of this, I never really learn other songs (I much prefer writing stuff anyway).

I started with a Squier P-Bass that served me well and I moved onto a OLP Musicman 2 (one day I will get an official Ernie Ball Stingray).
And my guitar is an Epiphone G-400, which is sexy.

Me on the left (in the nerd shirt and lame haircut), other guy with an American Highway One Telecaster (and mic too high...) on the right. Bright red drummer in back :P
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/ace_on_bass/Me%20and%20Friends/n509479056_1100322_6899.jpg

SHAMELESS PLUG
If you're interested in my stuff
www.myspace.com/suckstobeyouband
www.myspace.com/muckfeband

Any feedback welcome :D

Lordmylar06
07-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Trumpet
Drum set
Acoustic guitar
Harmonica
Piano
vocalist

07-25-2009, 05:58 PM
I played drums for two years, but quit from lack of interest. Playing drums on Rock Band kind of revitalized my interest, and when I get some money together, I want to buy a new set and learn more.

I can play a bit of guitar, but I'm far from anything worth mentioning.

GK Punk
07-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Haruhi season 2 SUCKS

Yes, it makes me want to cry :(

07-25-2009, 06:03 PM
This week was the last episode of Endless SUCK, so hopefully it's going to pick up next week.......:cry:

Candy Kappa
07-25-2009, 07:01 PM
I play the guitar hero guitar, it counts right? I rock on medium...

GK Punk
07-25-2009, 07:03 PM
I play the guitar hero guitar, it counts right? I rock on medium...

No. Not at all.

raphael_is_cool
07-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah. Now if it were expert...

WinterMorning
07-26-2009, 03:49 PM
I have an electric guitar, a fender. I've never picked up an instrument in my life, but it was a gift from my brother for xmas a few years ago. I took a class but that didn't go so well.

And just last week my boyfriend bought me a pink violin because I've always wanted to play, ever since I was very little. Now I have two instruments to learn...no pressure, right? ; ^ ;

saiyan_monkey
07-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Now I have two instruments to learn...no pressure, right? ; ^ ;

Not at all.

Yeah. Now if it were expert...

Yes I 2nd that.

Okay. You asked for it...

I'm pretty useless when it comes to any lead stuff, I can try and write the odd solo but I'm so into the bass mindset it never sounds like a true solo.

I know what you are saying with that. Ive also played the bass for longer and find it a bit harder to play a guitar in a ture guitar style without adding in bass techniques.

raphael_is_cool
07-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Yes I 2nd that.

Haha. I wasn't being serious. Guitar Hero does not mean a great deal when it comes to a real guitar. :P

Still fun though.

GK Punk
07-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I have an electric guitar, a fender. I've never picked up an instrument in my life, but it was a gift from my brother for xmas a few years ago. I took a class but that didn't go so well.

And just last week my boyfriend bought me a pink violin because I've always wanted to play, ever since I was very little. Now I have two instruments to learn...no pressure, right? ; ^ ;

Maybe just work on training your ears while focusing on one instrument, maybe the second will be easier once you can recognize all the notes.

saiyan_monkey
07-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Haha. I wasn't being serious.

Dont worry I wasnt.

GK Punk
08-04-2009, 10:43 PM
So as I stated earlier, I have some minor nerve damage in my left hand. Does anyone have any good hand exercises for the guitar that they know of and can recommend for speed and strength?

Andrew NDB
08-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Does anyone have any good hand exercises

Absolutely.

XERO
08-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Too easy...

ThirdMarioBro
08-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Lawl.

I've been playing piano since 2000. I rock on a digital Yamaha weighted keyboard, Roland-D50 (think Enya), and an original DX7 II-FD Yamaha synth. Basically, I can re-create any generic sound of the 80's you can imagine.

Was actually trying to learn Earth Song and the theme to the X-Men cartoon last week.

GK Punk
08-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Absolutely.

I guess now we know a lot about your love life. Left handed eh?

XERO
08-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Lawl.

I've been playing piano since 2000. I rock on a digital Yamaha weighted keyboard, Roland-D50 (think Enya), and an original DX7 II-FD Yamaha synth. Basically, I can re-create any generic sound of the 80's you can imagine.

Was actually trying to learn Earth Song and the theme to the X-Men cartoon last week.

I actually just started playing my keyboard again last week after over a year.

Just found out that I'm still able to play Dire, Dire, Docks from Mario 64.

GK Punk
08-05-2009, 12:22 AM
I figured out Kraid's theme from Metroid the other day on guitar. That's incredibly fun to play.

ThirdMarioBro
08-05-2009, 12:33 AM
I love the bass line on a grand piano. "Duh na na Duh na na Duh na na Duh na na..."

GK Punk
08-05-2009, 12:38 AM
On a guitar, the bass line is pretty high. It sounds close to the NES game actually. (At least the way I play it anyway. I'm sure there's tons of ways to do it haha.)

Also something that would probably only mean anything to Just Ai, but I figured out a majority of the rythm guitar lines to "Don't say lazy" from K-On.

XERO
08-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Hey, GK, can you play the bass for the intro to Super Metroid, when Samus starts narrating?

Hell, can ANYBODY play that?

GK Punk
08-05-2009, 12:55 AM
If I tried to maybe, but I can't remember what it sounds like off of the top of my head. That is seemingly the only piece of music from Metroid I can't recall.

Buslady
08-05-2009, 01:06 AM
in middle and high school:

trombone, cornet,trumpet, tuba,trombone,french horn,baritone

Arcade Joe
08-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I play guitar too..On and off unfortunately. But I try to play whenever I can.

I own an acoustic Takamini
A stripped down basic Gibson SG guitar
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone guitar...(Mike Mushok is the guitarist of Staind for those who don't know)
A 5 string Ibanez bass guitar..

I also have pro tools to record, but I want to get Cubase 5!!!!

saiyan_monkey
08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I also have pro tools to record, but I want to get Cubase 5!!!!

Is that similar to pro tools? I've always wanted to get someting to record with. I find good riffs now and then but by the next day I cant remember them :-?

Arcade Joe
08-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Is that similar to pro tools? I've always wanted to get someting to record with. I find good riffs now and then but by the next day I cant remember them :-?

Yes, it's just another DAW like Pro Tools. I want Cubase 5 because it's more PC friendly..It can run on 64 bit Vista, which is a big bonus in my book, but it's pricey...$500

thebrownranger
08-10-2009, 05:13 PM
I've been playing guitar for a long time now and have been loving it ever since. I know how to play a little bit of bass and drums too and plus I sing.
My gear:
1994 Paul Reed Smith Standard 24
2002 Paul Reed Smith Tremonti SE
Taylor 214ce acoustic
Ibanez Artwood acoustic
and an old Yamaha FG 420 acoustic
Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Yamaha G100-212 III (GIII Series)
Yamaha JX Series 35

A bunch of pics of me playing here:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=11126&page=155
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=11126&page=159

Zog the Equalizer
08-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I play the guitar, but not very well. I know enough to write poppy sounding punk cord structures but that's the extent of what I know. Actual well written melodies are still beyond me.

I have a crappy first act acoustic, my classical (Which I love), and a Fender Stratocaster that I really really love. Enough that I named it