PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Own Marvelman

ZariusTwo
07-24-2009, 08:38 PM
There's just no escaping the Anti-Christ (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/070924-QuesadaAnnounce.html#comments)

GK Punk
07-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Not sure... how I feel about this one...

Jester
07-24-2009, 08:43 PM
For the life of me I thought Comboman...

http://www.angelfire.com/myband/skacorps/chris/sman7/comboman.jpg

Raven
07-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Great....I guess?

Raph's Girl
07-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Before ComicCon I had never even HEARD of MarvelMan before.... Apperantly he's a rip off of Shazam. Only his special word is KIMOTA! Which is Atomic backwards cuz he got his powers from nuclear crap or something. Gonna be interesting if this is a reboot or a continuation of it cuz I read what Alan Moore did to the characters and it was totally frakked.

There was Marvel Man (Miracle Man), Marvel Woman (Miracle Woman), Kid Marvelman, and Young Marvelman....and a dog....and an evil scientist who's supposed to be their version of Black Adam....

I wonder if they're gonna be interacting with the rest of the Marvel Universe cuz then Spidey can complain that there's too many heroes with the name Marvel. :P "Marvel Man, Marvel Woman, Kid Marvelman, Young Marvelman, Mar'vell, Ms. Marvel, Marvel Girl, Marvel Boy..?!.....yeesh!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvelman

ZariusTwo
07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Before ComicCon I had never even HEARD of MarvelMan before.... Apperantly he's a rip off of Shazam. Only his special word is KIMOTA! Which is Atomic backwards cuz he got his powers from nuclear crap or something. Gonna be interesting if this is a reboot or a continuation of it cuz I read what Alan Moore did to the characters and it was totally frakked.

Moore actually gave Marvel Man (Miracle Man) his own identity.

Raph's Girl
09-06-2009, 12:48 PM
http://io9.com/5352771/classic-marvelman-will-appear-from-marvel

The question on comic fans' lips since Marvel announced their purchase of Marvelman at San Diego Comic-Con has finally been answered: Yes, they will be reprinting Alan Moore's classic pre-Watchmen run on the character.

Moore's revival of the 1950s Captain Marvel rip-off has long been considered a lost part of comics history; Moore's first deconstruction of the superhero genre, Marvelman - renamed Miracleman for its American publication and conclusion, ironically after legal threats from Marvel Comics - launched in the pages of British anthology Warrior in 1982, and offered ideas that Moore would later re-address (and, in the case of Promethea and some of his later America's Best Comics line, refute) in more famous books like Watchmen.

The rights to Moore's run are split between Moore himself and the various artists that worked on the series; it was unknown whether Moore, who has had a difficult relationship with Marvel Comics in the past, would allow the publisher to reprint his work, but a recent interview with Mania.com apparently settled the issue:

After being initially informed by Neil's lawyer, I had to think about it for a couple of days. I decided that while I'm very happy for this book to get published-because that means money will finally go to Marvelman's creator, Mick Anglo, and to his wife. Mick is very, very old, and his wife, I believe, is suffering from Alzheimer's. The actual Marvelman story is such a grim and ugly one that I would probably rather that the work was published without my name on it, and that all of the money went to Mick. The decision about my name was largely based upon my history with Marvel-my desire to really have nothing to do with them, and my increasing desire to have nothing to do with the American comics industry. I mean, they're probably are enough books out there with my name on them to keep the comics industry afloat for a little bit longer. I left a message to that effect with Neil. I've since heard back from the lawyer upon another issue, and he said that he was certain that would be the case-that Marvel would accede to my request. That looks like the way it will be emerging.

Moore also hinted that his successor on the series, Neil Gaiman, would be working with Marvel to complete the story he was unable to finish due to the previous publisher, Eclipse, going bankrupt in the early 1990s.

Shipoopi02
09-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Too many Marvels, if ya ask me... In fact, this addition of another superhero to the Marvel Universe kinda defeats the purpose of M-Day.

Raph's Girl
09-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Too many Marvels, if ya ask me... In fact, this addition of another superhero to the Marvel Universe kinda defeats the purpose of M-Day.

M Day was the elimination of Mutants with the X-Gene.

Magneto
09-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Yes, they will be reprinting Alan Moore's classic pre-Watchmen run on the character.

This has me more excited than Marvelman appearing in Marvel Comics to be perfectly honest. Been wanting to read those a good long while now.

ZariusTwo
12-29-2021, 06:39 AM
Well, something is finally happening with this...

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-biggest-reveal-in-marvel-comics-timeless-1-spoilers/