PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music

WinterMorning
07-29-2009, 11:47 PM
I love me some classical stuff. My favorite composers are Tchaikovsky and Mozart, but I also have some individual favorites from others. I want to expand my classical music playlist on my ipod, so does anyone have any favorites they recommend?

Ginny
08-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Vivaldi, Debussy, and Tchaikovsky are my favorite composers. There is a really good collection on MP3 on Amazon for $7.99 called '99 Essential Pieces of Classical Music.' The only downside is that the composers aren't listed, only the names of each piece and the orchestra performing. Here is the link if you are interested;

http://www.amazon.com/Most-Essential-Pieces-Classical-Music/dp/B001U1J2S4/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249405650&sr=301-1

Do you like instrumental "New Age" also?

WinterMorning
08-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Do you like instrumental "New Age" also?

yes'm! I'm pretty open about all kinds of music (so long as it's not rap/hip-hop ;p ) Any suggestions?

XERO
08-04-2009, 03:15 PM
yes'm! I'm pretty open about all kinds of music (so long as it's not rap/hip-hop ;p )

Heh, you know, FlawedCoil82 could've used a lady like yourself.:P

As for New Age suggestions, I can't help ya there. I prefer to stay in my comfort zones of hip-hop and rock. Those are my top 2.

Classical Music? Beethoven would be the obvious choice. :P

WinterMorning
08-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Heh, you know, FlawedCoil82 could've used a lady like yourself.:P

As for New Age suggestions, I can't help ya there. I prefer to stay in my comfort zones of hip-hop and rock. Those are my top 2.

Classical Music? Beethoven would be the obvious choice. :P

Ah yes! I think I have a Beethoven cd somewhere! I just realized he's not on my ipod :O I must fix that, thanks for the reminder! :)

The Stryker
08-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Kanye West.

ThirdMarioBro
08-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Mozart is okay, but John Williams is the man.

Ginny
08-05-2009, 04:12 PM
yes'm! I'm pretty open about all kinds of music (so long as it's not rap/hip-hop ;p ) Any suggestions?

My favorite is the Taliesin Orchestra. Thread of Time and Forbidden Forest are my favorite albums of theirs. I also highly recommend John Tesh's Avalon and One World albums, Santuary by Donna De Lory, and Jai Uttal's Thunder Love. Catherine Braslavsky is great also, but she is primarily chant. I use her Chartres - The Path Of The Soul for meditation.

Mozart is okay, but John Williams is the man.

Oooh, for serious! He is amazing! the Star Wars music is wonderful, but I think my favorite is the score from the movie Hook. I always liked it, I'm not really sure why.

WinterMorning
08-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Speaking of film scores! Does anyone know where I can find the piece called One Last Wish by James Horner? It's from Casper and I've looked all over for it, and itunes doesn't carry it at all :(

That Matt Guy
08-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Sergei f***in' Prokofiev!

DUmq1cpcglQ

WinterMorning
08-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Brilliant! Thanks Matt! :D

RAM BAM
08-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Ravel's Bolero is one of my favourite classical pieces.

Gymnopédie nº 1 by Erik Satie.

You'll probably recognize both these songs as soon as you hear them!

Also, speaking of film/theme music - anything by composer Ennio Morricone.

Shipoopi02
09-11-2009, 08:28 PM
I played French horn for five years and found these classical (genre, not era) composers' works to be quite impressive and deep. It's also enjoyable to listen to as well as play.

Samuel Barber
Ralph Vaughan Williams
Alfred Reed
Dmitri Shostakovich
Paul Hindemith
Percy Aldridge Granger

And of course, ya can't go wrong with Mozart or Beethoven. I hope this helps. :)

Cowabunga Kiefer
09-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Oh yeah, Shostakovich is awesome. I always enjoy me some Richard Wagner, Leonard Bernstein is always creative, and I find Chopin nocturnes to be extremely peaceful and calming. Film score wise, I'm kinda a fan of Hans Zimmer. Have you heard Gustav Holst's "The Planets"? Basically, anything around the Romantic era and/or anything that is tonal in the modern music today.

Machias Banshee
09-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I absolutely love "The Planets". It was the first ever classical music (and CD) I'd ever gotten. Jupiter in particular is my favorite, but Mars is handsdown the most memorable. You can just hear inspiration for the Star Wars soundtrack... John Williams is a musical Giant, and Hans Zimmer is pure gold. I always pay attention to movie soundtracks, and have more of those than anything else. The Last Samurai, The Perfect Storm, Walking with Dinosaurs, Moulin Rouge... right now my big thing is the Transformers soundtracks.

I'm not into specific people, I just find songs that catch my attention. I think watching the Fantasia movies when I was younger was a major factor in gaining interest. All of the songs from the first movie and then 2000 are Wonderful to listen to and watch.

* 2.1 Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
* 2.2 Nutcracker Suite
* 2.3 The Sorcerer's Apprentice
* 2.4 The Rite of Spring
* 2.6 The Pastoral Symphony
* 2.7 Dance of the Hours
* 2.8 Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria

# 5.1 Symphony No. 5
# 5.2 Pines of Rome
# 5.3 Rhapsody in Blue
# 5.4 Piano Concerto No. 2, Allegro, Opus 102
# 5.5 Carnival of the Animals, Finale
# 5.7 Pomp and Circumstance - Marches 1, 2, 3 and 4
# 5.8 Firebird Suite - 1919 version

Youtube has to be my favorite place to find music. I could live on there for HOURS... :goofygri:
Fanfare for the Common Man - Aaron Copeland
Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barber
Seigfred Funeral March - Richard Wagner - My mom used to play Wagner Vinyl's all the time when I was small.

In the terms of Opera (I'm probably alone in liking this), I love Puccini's Turandot. When Placido Domingo sings Nessun Dorma, it just tears your heart out.

Now... for instrumental music, would you consider Mannheim Steamroller classical, or something else?

Cowabunga Kiefer
09-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Oh yes! Pines of Rome is amazing!! I've played it about two times, and it just never ever gets old. Mannheim Steamroller....I would have to say the are classical. I mean, when the modern age began, people enjoyed experimenting instrumentation. I think there's this one piece, "Musique Electronique" that's just nothing but random sound effects compiled together. I would consider Mannheim Steamroller to be classical-ish. Hold on, the numbers you listed above, are those IN the movie Fantasia 2000? I think I have a VHS, but don't even remember a fragment of it.

Machias Banshee
09-14-2009, 11:01 PM
the 2.whatevers were in the old fantasia, the 5.whatevers are in Fantasia 2000

You can find them on Youtube... ;)

Cowabunga Kiefer
09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
AWESOME!!! Thanks for the info! I'll go check it out right.....NOW!