PDA

View Full Version : Does Splinter get the short end of the stick?

Skeletoncrew
03-10-2002, 02:58 AM
I started thinking about this earlier today. I think Splinter isn't getting a fair shake design-wise. Look at the cartoons, comics, toys, movies. How often does Splinter actually look like a real rat?

So often he ends up looking like some sort of dog/rat hybrid. And I don't think I need to go into the Splinter from COOTS.

Of course, one could argue that the TMNT don't look a whole lot like turtles. Maybe I'm just sensitive because I've had pet rats, and I really admire them. They have good-looking little faces.

So does anyone else think that Splinter deserves better? Or am I just a rat-loving looney?

SPEEd
03-10-2002, 09:34 AM
SPLINTER GETS NOTHING

SPEEd
03-10-2002, 09:41 AM
TMNT get all the credit. What does Splinter do in his spare tim while the turtles save the world?

SPEEd
03-10-2002, 09:42 AM
All he does is meditates. I think TMNT get all the credit due to all the times they have saved the world.

Kali
03-10-2002, 11:30 AM
LOL! Reminds me of a scene where Renet said Splinter looked like a dog!

You're kinda right, but he looks enough like a rat to be able to tell that that's what he is. It's hard to keep those features while making a creature humanoid. Let's see YOU try and draw him, I know I couldn't without tons of practice.

SPEEd
03-10-2002, 11:37 AM
I suck at drawing! Stick people are my thing.

SeaThreePeeO
03-10-2002, 12:42 PM
I too keep Rats, I have kept them all my life. I think that they a the cutest animals in the world, they make the best pets. I must say that the Mirage Splinter did look more rat like then the others.*Cough* Next Mutantion *Cough*

Machias Banshee
03-10-2002, 12:46 PM
I do feel bad for the way he's drawn as well. In Archie, i was glad that they had made him taller *I LOVE tall men :grin:*, but he looked like a chipmunk! I try to make my own pics correct, *coughcoughFANARTSECTIONcoughcough*, but it gets difficult. I like him in TMNT I and II, but in the third, he looked kinda sad...

Kali
03-10-2002, 12:46 PM
Next Mutation Splinter really did not look like a rat, I agree with that.

SeaThreePeeO
03-10-2002, 12:49 PM
I know I nearly died when I saw him in TMNT 3 and the Next Mutation. I liked the Achie comics, I only ever had three. I liked the way the guys were drawn and I also liked Ninjara. Bring her back!

Kali
03-10-2002, 12:52 PM
I never read much of the Archies. I have some of the early collected books, and #50, I think. I love the way the guys were drawn. And even though I wasn't familiar with Ninjara, that didn't stop me from making a doll of her.

Poor Splinter, fur is so hard to draw and make animatronics with. He looked decent in the CGI clip though.

Machias Banshee
03-10-2002, 12:57 PM
He did look good in the cgi clip, and he kicked serious tail in the training scene! :grin:

I like the Archies, cuz they didnt show him as this old and frail four foot dust bunny.

Kali
03-10-2002, 12:59 PM
Yes, sensei kicked shell!
"You must learn the power that comes with inner peace."

Machias Banshee
03-10-2002, 01:11 PM
I love seeing the turtles get all cocky, and then see how Splinter quite easily puts them in their place. Sweet :grin:.

Mike
03-10-2002, 01:24 PM
I never read the archie comics, because archie screws everything up. he looked good in the movies and decent in the comics, but down-right STUPID in the cartoon. another thought on splinter: I like this character a lot, really, but don't you think he should, i dunno, die?hes always acting like hes old and about to go, so get it over with already. it'd be a nice plot twist too to see how the tmnt cope with it.

Kali
03-10-2002, 01:27 PM
That was always weird. Like you kept expecting him to die, but he never does. If he did then it would leave a big void in the Turtle's lives.

(Personally, I don't really think he's as old and frail as he lets on.)

Machias Banshee
03-10-2002, 01:28 PM
NO NO NO! No he shouldnt! Every story that has him die, ends in the separation of the turtles. He's too important for the turtles to be without. He is their base, without him, none of this would have happened. he is their father and Master, and they need him.

(he actually fakes the old stuff, so the turtles do what theyre told. He's about the sme age as my dad.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Machias Banshee on 2002-03-10 15:29 ]</font>

Skeletoncrew
03-10-2002, 01:47 PM
On 2002-03-10 11:42, SPEEd wrote:
All he does is meditates. I think TMNT get all the credit due to all the times they have saved the world.

For shame Speed! The TMNT wouldn't be ninjas if it weren't for Splinter. He taught them everything they know. No Splinter = no TMNT.

Machias Banshee
03-10-2002, 01:51 PM
thank you SC! My thoughts exactly.

I always like to get into the 'fathering and teaching ' aspects of Splinter. I get surprised sometimes at how many people like to see that aspect as well... young turtles. the FanFic challenge was won by ria with her ten year old Mikey finding the Oroku compound.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Machias Banshee on 2002-03-10 16:05 ]</font>

azure turtle
03-10-2002, 02:19 PM
Splinter is, without a shadow of a doubt, the most important character in the TMNT universe. He made the TMNT what they are. And I agree, they haven't done him justice in the last few TMNT runs. I really liked how he looked in the CGI trailer, but that show may never see the light of day :sad:

Kali
03-10-2002, 02:21 PM
Hey, he'll be in the CGI movie they're working on!

azure turtle
03-10-2002, 02:24 PM
That's true! I just hope he looks as good, if not better, as he did in the CGI trailer.

Kali
03-10-2002, 02:27 PM
I'm sure he will. That trailer was, as they said, a "rough draft". Things will look much nicer when they put some more (expensive) effort into it.

Skeletoncrew
03-10-2002, 05:20 PM
On the subject of rat-anthromorph drawings...I finally found where I stored some of mine. Here are links to some drawings I made about 4 years ago when I was using them to harass a friend nicknamed "Rat". (Yes he's wearing a kilt, he's a Scottish Rat.)

http://dragonladyl.tripod.com/SMOKED.JPG
http://dragonladyl.tripod.com/OHMY.JPG
http://dragonladyl.tripod.com/THINKNOT.JPG
Oh, and this one wasn't a harassment one...just a rat. (Consider it proof that, yes, rats can be drawn fairly realisticly.) http://dragonladyl.tripod.com/rat.jpg
And here's a photo of some of the ratties I used to have:
http://dragonladyl.tripod.com/thegirls.jpg

azure turtle
03-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Hey, nice drawings, SC! I really liked that life-like sketch you did of a rat. Yep, rats can be drawn realistically :wink:

Kali
03-10-2002, 06:53 PM
Ooh, pretty. I did do one rat-anthromoph, but it wasn't Splinter, although I based it on a picture of him. It was a commission for a co-worker. I got $8 for it!
http://www.geocities.com/kaligargoyle/rat-commish.jpg

azure turtle
03-10-2002, 10:14 PM
The link seems to be broken :sad:

Kali
03-10-2002, 10:18 PM
No, that's just Yahoo being Yahoo. Try cutting and pasting.

azure turtle
03-10-2002, 10:35 PM
Ahh, okay. It works now. I like the sketch, Kali! I'm struggling just to sketch the TMNT; it'll be a long while before I attempt to draw Splinter, or any other human/rat hybrid, for that matter. :smile:

Kali
03-10-2002, 10:41 PM
Ah, you'll get there, all it takes is a lot of practice. Believe me, it takes a LOT of practice.

azure turtle
03-10-2002, 11:40 PM
*dances excitedly*
I hope to get there soon! I shall practice as often as possible!
*waves his yellow pencil in the air happily*
I even have a few new sketches, but I can't put them up 'til near the end of this week. My first final is on Tuesday, and my next one is on Saturday :sad: I need to get those sketches up before spring break, because I don't have a scanner at home.

Skeletoncrew
03-11-2002, 12:05 AM
Maybe I should sit down with one of my rat books and try drawing again. I need to correct the bad/good Splinter art imbalance!

HorseTechie
03-12-2002, 09:14 AM
*pops in outta nowwhere*

Yes! I agree that poor Splinter looks more and more like the Big Bad Wolf from Lil Red Riding Hood every day! Except for Henson's version of him in TMNT1. He looked pretty 'ratty' then. :lol:

Wow... you do have many ree's, SC! I just had two rees a few years back, Gertrude and Matilda.

And then, here's my take on Splinter http://horseturtle.tripod.com/kakera.html

azure turtle
03-12-2002, 04:54 PM
*is surprised by HT's sudden appearance*
Woah, you gotta teach me how to do that sometime :smile:

I've got to agree that Splinter's form in TMNT 1 was one of his best. From the pics I've seen on the net, he looked really bad in the COOTS video. Poor dude.

SeaThreePeeO
03-13-2002, 03:22 AM
COOTS. Sadly I never got to see the tour video, so I can't express an opinion on that one. Bring back the Henson Creatures!

Come to think of it, I didn't like the Turtle suits in TMNT 3 or in NT:TNM!

Why, why? Why must they change things?

Kali
03-13-2002, 10:36 AM
Change is good! And I thought TNM costumes were pretty good. Splinter's coulda been better, but I liked the guys. I mean, it had a TV budget, I'm surprised the costumes were that good.

Skeletoncrew
03-13-2002, 02:37 PM
I've got to see those! Grrrr...I need a TV and a VCR! Better yet, every TMNT ever taped needs to be released on DVD!!!

azure turtle
03-13-2002, 04:38 PM
Oh ya! I'd be totally happy if they started to release TMNT stuff on DVD. Actually, I'd be happy for a while before I realize how much money I'd end up spending....*le sigh*

HorseTechie
03-13-2002, 05:12 PM
oh yeah.... I need something more to round out my hubby's collection of 300 DVD movies. And he makes fun of me collecting comics n figures! :razz:

(( PS... Welcome to the NTML, Azure! ))

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HorseTechie on 2002-03-13 19:15 ]</font>

Skeletoncrew
03-13-2002, 05:18 PM
Wow! Thats a lot of DVDs! I just use Netflix and rent the ones I want. I only own about a dozen.

HorseTechie
03-13-2002, 05:20 PM
heh.. that's where hubby's mind is a lil warped. He thinks renting is a waste of money. *shrug*

azure turtle
03-13-2002, 07:04 PM
:grin:

(Ah, and thanks for the welcome, HT! I've been itching to join that group for a while, but I couldn't decide since it'd take up a good amount of my time. Well, I couldn't resist, so there I am! Someone named Micah visited my website and sent me a nice e-mail, inviting me to join ntml. I guess that's all I needed to be convinced. I haven't posted yet, since I don't know what to write about :sad: )

HorseTechie
03-13-2002, 07:15 PM
oh no! You were invited by Mica the crazy Mikey fan?! ;p

Machias Banshee
03-13-2002, 07:23 PM
Mica vdoes the comic strip archive too, doesnt she? aI offered to help color some of the strips, just to help out. Gotta remember to send some examples...

DVD?? *GASP* whats that? it sounds like some sort of strange alien device! I have heard of these unusual round discs that show pictures sliding by a screen in rapid motions... but i never could believe it!!! Someday, i vow, i will search the universe and find these fantastical devices and bring them back to my homeworld, where video tapes, records and 8-tracks still exist....someday...

:grin:

azure turtle
03-13-2002, 07:28 PM
Yep, she's the one who invited me.
And good luck on your mission, Machias! Those strange silver discs are bound to show up there sooner or later. :smile:

Kali
03-13-2002, 08:20 PM
Ah, do not fear Machias, I, too, am DVD less, although we probably have 300+ videos in our house. And guess what? I have records, too!
I can't even afford a VCR (I've got this one that plays, but can't record) so I doubt I'll be able to get a DVD player anytime soon.

Skeletoncrew
03-14-2002, 12:51 AM
*blank look*

Okay, what is NTML? Ninja Turtles Mailing List?

azure turtle
03-14-2002, 12:55 AM
*ding ding*
We have a winner!!
*gives SC a chocolate chip cookie*

SeaThreePeeO
03-14-2002, 01:15 AM
Hmmmmmmm DvDs. The most wonderful invention in the history of man. Shame about the region bit tho!

I mainly have Jackie Chan DvDs. Sadly you can't get any turtle VHS here, let alone DvDs.

azure turtle
03-14-2002, 01:26 AM
Ya, that whole region thing is pretty annoying. I've always wanted to import some DVDs from Japan, but I don't have a DVD player that can play different regions. And that's a shame you can't get any TMNT tapes. You could always check ebay, Nun. :smile:

SeaThreePeeO
03-14-2002, 01:33 AM
I don't trust places like Ebay. Been had too many times. I bought a Turtle cartoon tape from a Charity store recently and got it home only to find someone had taped over the first ep! That makes me so mad!

Skeletoncrew
03-14-2002, 03:45 AM
Whooo-hoo! I won a chocolate chip cookie! You know, I love fancy desserts and all, but I don't think anything can beat a good chocolate chip cookie!

HorseTechie
03-14-2002, 10:23 AM
*blink* They auctioon cookies on ebay too?

Yeah, you gotta learn which sellers are trustworthy or not. I learned to not deal with kids, so I hadn't experienced any bad transactions.

azure turtle
03-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Ya, that's the one thing about ebay. For that little incident of mine, I thought the seller didn't ship my item. Almost a month later, it arrived in the mail. The CD case was broken, but the CD worked fine. Still, I wasn't too pleased with the shipping time or the packaging. Bah, that's why I restrict myself to bids under 15 dollars.

HorseTechie
03-15-2002, 11:27 AM
ohh.. wait... do you guys have a Play Station 2, or a PC with a DVD-rom? Those can play DVD's as well. *feels like the only one here with a passion for the latest technical gadgetry* Okay, I don't yet have a PS2, but you kow, everything else is getting pretty cheap nowadays. ;P

Machias Banshee
03-15-2002, 01:15 PM
Yow, we got off-topic!

Hmmm... wonder if the turtles have a DVD player?

HorseTechie
03-15-2002, 01:22 PM
I'm sure Donny could have arranged for one. Did you see the size of that TV in the new comics? :razz:

Machias Banshee
03-15-2002, 01:27 PM
NO, i take it its big? :smile:

It amazes me how that boy was able to learn all the stuff he did...no real school-based education, just Splinter's 'home-schooling' and playing around with stuff. Incredible.

SeaThreePeeO
03-15-2002, 02:03 PM
I Have a PS2 and a Pc with a DvD ROM. But I prefer to use the DvD player.

*Looks at the tv in her newly arrived #2*

Is that big then? Never really paid much attention. Too busy squinting at the letters page. *Squints* Ooo I know her!

HorseTechie
03-15-2002, 02:08 PM
I guess Don's one of those natural born geniuses. :smile:

Yeah... the TV in the comic looks like thos expensive big a screen TV's. Normal TV's are 1/3 that size (unless Lawson is drawing things out of proportion again). :lol:

Machias Banshee
03-15-2002, 02:16 PM
Man, i wish i was naturally super-intelligent like that, then i wouldnt have to worry about school...

Man, the closest i have to the things you guys are talking about are the original nintendo, and my computer!

Kali
03-15-2002, 02:19 PM
Actually, intelligence has nothing to do with what you know, but what you can absorb, and how fast, and how you apply it. What do you think Don's IQ would be? Genius starts at about 140, I remember reading.

SeaThreePeeO
03-15-2002, 02:19 PM
You mean the NES? God I wish I had mine! I threw it out, then I found my turtle games to it. It is the other way around with my SNES. I have the console and everything, but alas no Turtles Tournament Fighters.

Sods law me thinks!

Machias Banshee
03-15-2002, 02:21 PM
We have the first TmNt game, and the Arcade version of the second. mucho fun. :grin:

HorseTechie
03-15-2002, 02:25 PM
My bro still has his Atari unit... now hows that for being obselete! (I'm still learning how to get used to those new-fangled controllers that vibrate in my hands!)

yes.. even though I admire the guy, my brain is hardly at the mental compacity of Don's either. *sai*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HorseTechie on 2002-03-15 16:32 ]</font>

Machias Banshee
03-15-2002, 02:33 PM
WE HAVE ONE TOO! With the ET game, and everything!

You still play 8-tracks?

SeaThreePeeO
03-15-2002, 02:41 PM
8-Tracks? Huh? What are those? I must live in a hole or something, because I have never heard of them or seen them! :???:

Machias Banshee
03-15-2002, 02:45 PM
theyre from WAAAAAAAAAYYYY back. 50s-70s

HorseTechie
03-15-2002, 02:48 PM
I've only heard of them. They're like what they had after the record, but before the cassette tape. Or shuld I say, an 8 track is a glorified version of a cassette tape. Popular in the 70's... but no, I don't have any of those. My family just has records and a record player.

Machias Banshee
03-15-2002, 02:52 PM
We have those too... I love listening to my Labyrinth record! :grin:

HorseTechie
03-15-2002, 02:55 PM
Yes, I am a devote U2 fan.. I got rattle and hum on LP too. Along with Peter Simon (?) urgh... *brain fart* ...that guy who has the Jamaican sounding rock. "...She's got diamons on the sole ofher shoes..."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HorseTechie on 2002-03-15 16:56 ]</font>

Skeletoncrew
03-15-2002, 03:05 PM
Paul Simon, Graceland album...oohhh...I think I'll listen to that now.

"I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me you can call me Al!"

HorseTechie
03-15-2002, 03:12 PM
yeah, that's the album! :cool:

azure turtle
03-15-2002, 04:00 PM
Weee.....
*plop*
Hey, that's fun! Nun, I remember when you used to plop into the threads. I had no idea how much of a thrill it is! Anyway, back to the off-topic topic :grin: I do have a PS2, and yes, it's absolutely awesome with DVDs. I don't have a DVD rom or a DVD player, just my PS2. Oh, and I still have my original Nintendo! I've got TMNT 2 for that, and TMNT 4: Turtles in Time for my SNES. Alas, my SNES is broken, and I need to either buy a new one or get it fixed.

Ratking
03-16-2002, 05:15 AM
Kali wrote:
I can't even afford a VCR

try get a job :wink:

Ratking
03-16-2002, 05:17 AM
i don't know

SeaThreePeeO
03-16-2002, 01:39 PM
*Oozes up through the floor*

Hey Azure!

Yes I remember my days of free falling into the topics. I stopped that when my form of entry was branded boring in the chat rooms. Ho hum.

Anyway about your SNES and getting it fixed. A bit of useful advice, don't go to Nintendo for help. They are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

*Runs from the off topic police*

So what did Splinter look like in the CGI clips? Sadly I cannot download the apple player needed until I upgrade my hard drive at a cost of £80!

Kali
03-16-2002, 01:45 PM
Go here:
http://www.ninjaturtles.com/cgitmnt/cgi.html
They have bunches of screen shots.

Machias Banshee
03-16-2002, 01:48 PM
Spl9nter looked very good, even for just a rough draft. He would have looked awesome if it had gone through... :sad:

HorseTechie
03-16-2002, 01:59 PM
okies.. stupid question time.. what's the URL for the CGI movie clip? They don't seem to have it where I can find it on the site. :razz:

Machias Banshee
03-16-2002, 02:00 PM
try my very first post. there's a link there...fellow blonde one. :grin:

*ducks bappage*

Kali
03-16-2002, 02:04 PM
*baps Machias* They've got a link on the "What's New" page, too.

Machias Banshee
03-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Ouch! okay okay... blonde moment for me.

*flees from bappage*

HorseTechie
03-16-2002, 02:50 PM
Fellow Blonde One? But I'm a redhead! :razz:

But nevermind... this was the link I sought:
http://www.ninjaturtles.com/html/cgipilot.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HorseTechie on 2002-03-16 16:55 ]</font>

HorseTechie
03-16-2002, 03:25 PM
*ping* You know, it didn't hit me until now... but the armored truck in the new comic is very likely the same one in this CGI clip!

Machias Banshee
03-16-2002, 05:27 PM
They were probly based off each other.

coolmike1586
03-16-2002, 08:02 PM
HEY I NOTICED THAT! that was weird! there was sumthin else too but i dont remember what!

HorseTechie
03-16-2002, 09:22 PM
..the motorcycle?

Ratking
03-17-2002, 02:24 AM
hmm maybe