PDA

View Full Version : Know any instrumental bands?

Roland
08-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Know any instrumental bands like i think the band is called planet x. Is there any other bands like planet x out there?

PAAATE
08-25-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't know what Planet X is like, but Pelican are instrumental :P

Arcade Joe
08-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Scale the Summit

Anarky
08-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Buckethead. Nobody beats Buckethead.

Roland
08-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't know what Planet X is like, but Pelican are instrumental :P
Planet X is a band that plays music that sounds like heavy gear music or nfs 2 music.
Scale the Summit

Buckethead. Nobody beats Buckethead.
Cool i'll check them out. Any idea where i might be able to hear any of this bands music? Should i try apple musicstore?

Arcade Joe
08-26-2009, 02:55 PM
go to myspace..

PAAATE
08-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Planet X is a band that plays music that sounds like heavy gear music or nfs 2 music.

Right, I have no idea what that means either :P

But I'm listening to them now, and so far (about a minute in on a song called Desert Girl) I like it

And now at 1.15 it got even more interesting

Though for some reason I find the bass the most interesting part of.. WHOA!

About 2 minutes in I'm beginning to love it

Right now I really like this music

Well, halfway through, so far an interesting listening experience...

Ok, soon through with the song and I've decided that they're worth downloading, then I'll see if the albums are worth buying

But based on that one song I'd probably buy their albums

Though, of course, based on Through the Fire and Flames I'd probably buy a Dragonforce-album too... But the rest of their songs suck, so yeah... I'll download Planet X's albums and see what I think

Stream of consciousness ftw :)

Guitar_Raph
08-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Instrumental bands are mostly found in classical music (symphony orchestras), jazz artists/bands or even big bands of the 1930's & 1940's.

In the 1960's there were some instrumental bands that did pop music. The Ventures did surfin tunes as well as other pop tunes. But the two I grew up with & still like that are classics..

HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS: They made pop tunes sound fun. Got all their CDs.

JULIUS WECHTER & THE BAJA MARIMBA BAND: Same as their counterparts, except they had 9 members, not 7. Wechter played marimba & vibes, also wrote some songs, including Spanish Flea (which was featured on a couple of Simpsons episodes).

WinterMorning
08-26-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't know any bands like Planet X, but there's Mogwai. Pretty mellow, but they can really rock out at the same time. LOVE them

Probably my favorite song of theirs:
yC_3alnTE9g

Then there's Sigur Ros, an Icelandic group. They're even more mellow, almost etherial, but beeeautiful. Some of their stuff is instrumental, but they have lyrical stuff too.

This is my favorite Sigur Ros song, Hoppipola. The video is so fun/cute too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EyI4p0yjDQ

another favorite:
M9NEuDg-3eY

Wingnut
08-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Eric Johnson

Roland
08-28-2009, 03:51 PM
go to myspace..
Ok i'll check them out there.
Right, I have no idea what that means either :P

But I'm listening to them now, and so far (about a minute in on a song called Desert Girl) I like it

But based on that one song I'd pr
Though, of course, based on Through the Fire and Flames I'd probably buy a Dragonforce-album too... But the rest of their songs suck, so yeah... I'll download Planet X's albums and see what I think

Stream of consciousness ftw :)
My bad. ;) . With Planet X i really liked a lot of there tunes.
Instrumental bands are mostly found in classical music (symphony orchestras), jazz artists/bands or even big bands of the 1930's & 1940's.

In the 1960's there were some instrumental bands that did pop music. The Ventures did surfin tunes as well as other pop tunes. But the two I grew up with & still like that are classics..

HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS: ...

JULIUS WECHTER & THE BAJA MARIMBA BAND: ...
I'll check them out.
I don't know any bands like Planet X, but there's Mogwai. ...

Then there's Sigur Ros, an Icelandic group...

Ok thanx for the video's internet still a bit slow. But i'll check them out.
Eric Johnson
I'll check him out.

Sewer Bull
08-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Explosions in the Sky, if you enjoy guitars jangling over and over again.

Hannah
08-29-2009, 10:53 AM
I second Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Great stuff.

Barkworm
08-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Both Russian Circles and God is an Astronaut are really good. They are post rock/post metal bands.

PAAATE
08-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Both Russian Circles and God is an Astronaut are really good. They are post rock/post metal bands.

:D!?

I love post metal!!!

Thanks for that :D

cowabunga14
08-31-2009, 05:47 PM
You might like Gary Hoey.

PAAATE
09-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Know any instrumental bands like i think the band is called planet x. Is there any other bands like planet x out there?

Actually... Planet X has kind of a jazz/metal-thing going on, I would say

And thanks to Swedish news paper Aftonbladet I just found these guys: http://www.myspace.com/panzerballett

And they definitely have a jazz/metal-thing going on

So to answer your original question, this band is KINDA like Planet X :)

Roland
09-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Actually... Planet X has kind of a jazz/metal-thing going on, I would say

And thanks to Swedish news paper Aftonbladet I just found these guys: http://www.myspace.com/panzerballett

And they definitely have a jazz/metal-thing going on

So to answer your original question, this band is KINDA like Planet X :)

Nicely said i must say :) ! I'll check them out. So how do you rate Planet x?

PAAATE
09-05-2009, 06:14 PM
So how do you rate Planet x?

I've mostly listened to their latest album and that one I like

I listened to the first album once, but can't really remember it at the moment, but I think I liked it :P

Zog the Equalizer
09-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Tera Melos and This Will Destroy You are both really good post rocky stuff. I play them in the background while I study. The Flashbulb's Soundtrack to a Vacant Life is pretty good to, but I don't even know what to describe that as. I was really surprised to see that someone else has actually heard of Scale the Summit, I saw them live a year or two ago and fell in love

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
09-09-2009, 05:55 AM
I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_instrumental_bands

PAAATE
09-09-2009, 07:55 AM

Well, maybe you can help me learn how to wash my clothes

No, wait I found this: http://www.wikihow.com/Wash-Your-Clothes

Seriously... Anyone can search wikipedia... :P Half of your posts seems to be Wiki-links and... At least to me, that's annoying :P

No hard feelings or anything, just pointing it out :P

Roland
09-09-2009, 01:34 PM

Whoa ! Thanx i should of thought of using wikipedia ,my bad! Funny thing is there is no planet x listed.

Arcade Joe
09-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I discovered another instrumental band called Animals as Leaders. Progressive and heavy..

Roland
09-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I discovered another instrumental band called Animals as Leaders. Progressive and heavy..
Sweet, i'll check them out.