PDA

View Full Version : Will Nick buy the Ninja Turtles The Next Mutation?

Luke795
10-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Does Disney own the Ninja Turtles The Next Mutation?

Candy Kappa
10-26-2009, 04:11 AM
most likely just the rights to the episodes similar to the OT with Mirage and fredwolf thingie.

ZariusTwo
10-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Considering TNM takes place in the Power Rangers continuity, it would take a LOT of wrangling.

Tuxedo Moroboshi
10-26-2009, 09:45 AM
True, but then again, considering that Power Rangers is going to be ending soon (that's just true for Power Rangers, though, as Super-Sentai will probably exist until the end of time), maybe Disney might not care as much? Then again, even though the Power Rangers series isn't that popular anymore (most people aren't even aware it's still on), the toys still continue to sell pretty well, I've heard.

Hmmm... I think I may be going slightly off-topic, but my point is, if Disney doesn't care enough to continue the Power Rangers series going, maybe the fact that TNM takes place in Power Rangers continuity is a non-issue? Another thing to consider is that the crossover between the two happened in a Power Rangers in Space episode, not a TNM episode.

ZariusTwo
10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
]maybe Disney might not care as much?

So that's why they gave the go-ahead to have Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers completly remastered with new effects for transmission in January 2010 as a means of making up for new season? Just because Disney arent making new PR doesnt mean they don't care about it.

Not to mention Bandai will be launching an all-new MMPR toyline in January to go along with it.

Another thing to consider is that the crossover between the two happened in a Power Rangers in Space episode, not a TNM episode.

Do you think just because two NM episodes aired on another series that is likewise controlled by Buena Vista and was produced by Saban before their aqqusition, that the rest will get off on a technicality? No.

TNM, lock, stock, and barrel, belongs to Disney, and the recent aqqusition of TMNT by Nick will do more to convince them to hold on to controlling interest of something that they DO have so they can rerun it to death when the 2012 projects are launched.

A plus for Nick is that TNM isnt highly regarded. For Disney, it's akin to owning a lemon.

CyberCubed
10-26-2009, 10:10 AM
I wonder if Nick even realizes if the Next Mutation exists. Mirage would make no mention of it and they simply know of the original cartoon and 4kids cartoons.

Drtooth
10-26-2009, 10:23 AM
The question is, would anyone want to? Considering it was a sore point for fans, and even the creators didn't care for the addition of of a female turtle under network pressure. Besides, they could make a lot more money off the OT alone, let alone the 2k3 series.

The Shelf
10-26-2009, 10:25 AM
lock, stock, and barrel

This phrase is getting old. :dead:

sdp
10-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Nick spent 10 million for the 4kids series just so they could own the cartoon and no one else could air it. I think thats why they want to buy the OT, not necessarily to air it but to make sure no one profits from the franchise they bought since I think Nick wants to make the turtles very popular again.

TNM seems to be owned completely by Disney since they bought Saban. And Disney is not one to sell anything, they rather let it rot in the Disney Vault. Who knows maybe if the turtles get big they decide to re-air it or even release it on DVD. Thanks to the team up, it'll always be part of PR canon, which as awful as the episode was and as much it doesn't make sense for these two universes to oin, it brings a smile to my face to see the two shows that made up most of my childhood shake hands. Oh yeah and TNM is meant to be in the movie continuity so technically the movies (1-3) are set in the Power Ranger universe :lol:

http://neighbr.net/images/ninjaturtles_powerrangers.jpg

They don't own Venus or any of the original characters I think, so it'd be great to see any or all of them again. TNM had some interesting original characters like Silver, Bonesteel, Vammi, Dragonlord, and even Venus was interesting. TNM gets a bad rap in the fandom, its really not all bad, the slapstick prevents it from being an awesome adaptation but even with the slapstick its fairly entertaining. If you click my sig it takes you to my LONG review of the show.

plastroncafe
10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
The question is, would anyone want to? Considering it was a sore point for fans, and even the creators didn't care for the addition of of a female turtle under network pressure. Besides, they could make a lot more money off the OT alone, let alone the 2k3 series.

I've got to admit, I know next to nothing about TNM, but was it network pressure that created Venus? I had the general impression that it was Eastman's baby.

Help a girl out?

ZariusTwo
10-26-2009, 11:06 AM
TNM seems to be owned completely by Disney since they bought Saban. And Disney is not one to sell anything, they rather let it rot in the Disney Vault. Who knows maybe if the turtles get big they decide to re-air it or even release it on DVD. Thanks to the team up, it'll always be part of PR canon, which as awful as the episode was and as much it doesn't make sense for these two universes to oin

There's nothing in PR that says the Turtles shouldnt exist. Every city in PR (with the exception of Terra Venture), takes place within a fictional state of Califronia. New York City still exists

Oh yeah and TNM is meant to be in the movie continuity so technically the movies (1-3) are set in the Power Ranger universe :lol:

And PR is supposedly also set in the Doctor Who universe (thanks to a Big Finish audio referencing Zordon), so if April stumbles on any Daleks in Manhatten (oh I slay me), give Venus a call.:lol:

Roseangelo
10-26-2009, 11:12 AM
I've got to admit, I know next to nothing about TNM, but was it network pressure that created Venus? I had the general impression that it was Eastman's baby.

Help a girl out?

Kinda both, actually. Word is that Fox wouldn't do the show without a girl turtle, then it was Eastman who went and created her.

Drtooth
10-26-2009, 11:27 AM
And didn't Peter have, like the coolest thing to say about her? Something about her not even being worthy enough to hate. I wish someone could find that thread, that was one of the best things I ever read.

sdp
10-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Sadly Venus was a good character, as a kid I never watched TNM but I loved the idea of a female turtle. After watching the show, she is easily the most interesting character in the group, she is not shoved down our throats either, she doesn't really get that many focused episodes as opposed to Raph/Mikey/Don who got tons. A lot of the kids who grew up with TMNT were already in their teens when the show came out so they quickly dismissed it as a crap and not "their" show. And while the show is not something amazing its not that bad and what is bad about it has nothing to do with Venus. I really am hoping to see Venus again now that Nick owns it, not as a main character but a recurring ally.

plastroncafe
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Sadly Venus was a good character, as a kid I never watched TNM but I loved the idea of a female turtle. After watching the show, she is easily the most interesting character in the group, she is not shoved down our throats either, she doesn't really get that many focused episodes as opposed to Raph/Mikey/Don who got tons. A lot of the kids who grew up with TMNT were already in their teens when the show came out so they quickly dismissed it as a crap and not "their" show. And while the show is not something amazing its not that bad and what is bad about it has nothing to do with Venus. I really am hoping to see Venus again now that Nick owns it, not as a main character but a recurring ally.

I don't suppose TNM is out on DVD, is it?
I'm seriously considering a massive Pan-Canon review before the new Nick stuff comes out.

Drtooth
10-26-2009, 11:46 AM

In Europe...

as a kid I never watched TNM but I loved the idea of a female turtle.

Listen.. I wouldn't want a fifth turtle any more than I would want a fourth stooge or Laurel, Hardy and some other guy. I think X-entertainment said it best long ago... something about how a live action show could have potential but they took Chun Li and stuck bubbley green skin on her... or something to that extent.

Kendamu
10-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I certainly hope they don't buy TNM. No news has surfaced about the idea and there's almost no demand for it.

ZariusTwo
10-26-2009, 12:14 PM
I really am hoping to see Venus again now that Nick owns it, not as a main character but a recurring ally.

Except Nick DOESNT own Venus, she was created specificly for TNM.

And, honestly, Venus defeats the whole purpose of TMNT. Anyone who wants her back doesnt "get" the concept of the franchise and may as well take a gigantic s*it over classics like "Sons of the Silent Age"

what is bad about it has nothing to do with Venus.

Yes it did. She was a glorified Mary Sue made to stand out rather than blend in. She was forced down viewers throats immediatly.

Drtooth
10-26-2009, 12:20 PM
That said, the one thing I really want them to bury is that whole concert Turtles thing... especially the Christmas special. No one must ever witness that crap ever again... I did like "Pizza Power" though.

Yeah, isn't that the same problem they had with The Tick, and how any character created specifically for the animated series could never be used in any NEC published comics or any other future media, leading to the fake Die Fledermaus and American Maid that stunk up the live action series?

Really, I miss Sewer Urchin.

sdp
10-26-2009, 12:33 PM

And, honestly, Venus defeats the whole purpose of TMNT. Anyone who wants her back doesnt "get" the concept of the franchise and may as well take a gigantic s*it over classics like "Sons of the Silent Age"

Yes it did. She was a glorified Mary Sue made to stand out rather than blend in. She was forced down viewers throats immediatly.

"Mary Sue is a term in use primarily in Fan Fic circles to describe a particular type of character. This much everyone can agree on. What that character type is, exactly, differs wildly from circle to circle, and often from person to person."

Many characters were created for the OT and Mirage owned them, why would it be any different with Venus? We don't know who owns her.

What is the purpose of the TMNT? There is no real purpose. It doesn't change the concept of the franchise anymore than the OT did. There is no real concept of the franchise it started as a parody. She was not forced at all, besides her origin episodes (which should focus on her since its HER origin) they don't really shove her down your throat and is actually underutilized. She does fine as well as the turtles having a fifth member, I'm not saying I want the turtles need a fifth member but it worked for TNM. If she shows up again I wouldn't want her as a fifth member but more of a recurring ally in some episodes.

That said, the one thing I really want them to bury is that whole concert Turtles thing... especially the Christmas special. No one must ever witness that crap ever again... I did like "Pizza Power" though.

Yeah, isn't that the same problem they had with The Tick, and how any character created specifically for the animated series could never be used in any NEC published comics or any other future media, leading to the fake Die Fledermaus and American Maid that stunk up the live action series?

Really, I miss Sewer Urchin.

I'd actually like to see the concert and christmas special on dvd just for completists sake.

And like I mentioned i don't think its the same problem with the Tick. BTW I found Batmanuel and Captain Liberty much better in name, costumes as well as personality.

Drtooth
10-26-2009, 01:09 PM
And like I mentioned i don't think its the same problem with the Tick. BTW I found Batmanuel and Captain Liberty much better in name, costumes as well as personality.

It was, and it was stated many times by the comic book company that put the Tick comics out. They never were able to use characters Ben Edlund ever created specifically in the show. He never owned them the way that Mirage owned characters specifically used for the TMNT cartoon. It's probably something that Saban/Fox Kids made them sign.

Lieutenant Granitor
10-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Does Disney own the Ninja Turtles The Next Mutation?

They already own it... Next Mutation is considered poorly continuation of 3 live action movies, and some of OT! Nick already got rights of the movies, and is about to buy rights to OT from Fred Wolf films! Maybe 2012 CG show is continuation to Next Mutation as it was never properly finished!

ZariusTwo
10-26-2009, 01:15 PM
It won't be a continuation, how many times does this have to be reitterated?

Nobody gives a s*it about the Next Mutation.

Powder
10-26-2009, 01:20 PM
I always liked the idea of venus, she fit in as far as looks and importance are concerned but i felt like they really made her come off as stupid (aside from her mind tricks and stuff) maybe it was just her having difficulty assimiliating... but thats how i saw it at the tender age of 8 or 7.. whatever

Raph's Girl
10-26-2009, 01:30 PM
There's nothing in PR that says the Turtles shouldnt exist. Every city in PR (with the exception of Terra Venture), takes place within a fictional state of Califronia. New York City still exists

And PR is supposedly also set in the Doctor Who universe (thanks to a Big Finish audio referencing Zordon), so if April stumbles on any Daleks in Manhatten (oh I slay me), give Venus a call.:lol:

Wait what? Really??? Hmm... Well the Utroms and Daleks DO look similar.... plus in both TMNT and Dr. Who there's Transmat machines. I kinda thought that TMNT had some homages to Dr. Who. Never thought they'd be in the same universe. Awesome! :D

As for the TMNT not existing. Well in the PR ep the Rangers thought the turtles were fictional characters and the TMNT thought the same of the Power Rangers till they met.

ZariusTwo
10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
It's probably by goverment decree that the Rangers are to be considered "fictional characters", it's the only way to disguise all those monster attacks.

Cipher
10-26-2009, 01:51 PM
And, honestly, Venus defeats the whole purpose of TMNT. Anyone who wants her back doesnt "get" the concept of the franchise and may as well take a gigantic s*it over classics like "Sons of the Silent Age" It sh*ts rather directly over that issue, actually.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Next Mutation get a proper DVD release sometime. If only for the novelty, I'd give it another view. It didn't have any concepts that blew me away, but it did have some that could at least be decent, if executed with more tact.

Lieutenant Granitor
10-26-2009, 01:52 PM
It won't be a continuation, how many times does this have to be reitterated?

Nobody gives a s*it about the Next Mutation.

I do give a sh*t even tho I never seen even one pisode of it :lol:

gobo
10-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Sadly Venus was a good character, as a kid I never watched TNM but I loved the idea of a female turtle. After watching the show, she is easily the most interesting character in the group
I thought the same. She was the most interesting Turtle IMO since the guys were all relegated to hyper dufuses. Boys acting boyish... So, I was like, "Venus may be just a PC poster child jammed into the franchise, but at least she's not portrayed as damn ANNOYING as the guys (who are all pale comparisons to the originals anyway)".
The UK released the entirety of their butchered 'Hero Turtles' version only for DVD Region 2. It's the only English-language releases, but other countries (including France, Germany, Israel, Italy and Poland) have the full-length episodes in their native language.
Next Mutation is considered poorly continuation of 3 live action movies
Y'know, some countries actually marketed TNM as a continuation of the movie universe despite Splinter's ear being whole and Shredder showing up and disappearing again in the first episode without any explanation of how he survived.