PDA

View Full Version : Best of the DECADE.

Cure
12-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Oh, man! We can totally do this. What was the best of the DECADE? A lotta sites seem to be doing it, so we can too. What do you guys think?!

That Matt Guy
12-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Shadow of the Colossus, BioShock, Battlefield 1942, God of War 1 and 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic...

The Stryker
12-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Grand Theft Auto 3.

Voltron
12-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Shen Mue 2

Mr. Snackpants
12-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Halo (2 was my favorite)
Half Life 2 & Portal
Star Wars: KotOR
Super Mario Galaxy
Kingdom Hearts
Shadow of the Colossus
GTA
CoD:MW series
NFL 2K series (f*ck you, Madden)

....my favorites.

12-28-2009, 04:53 PM
I can say Halo created a whole new genre of F**S through its multiplayer.

But best of the decade? Katamari Damacy. Japan's got it all figured out, I say. Just take it easy and roll some stuff up into a ball.

Deathknight
12-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Perfect Dark and Super Smash Bros Melee are my top picks. Honestly the last games that truly impressed me.

Turo602
12-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Halo, Resident Evil 4, and the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time either one is perfect.

Brodie
12-28-2009, 08:59 PM
OOT isn't in this decade. Just fyi.

ThirdMarioBro
12-29-2009, 03:45 AM
Super Smash Bros. Melee - The greatest multiplayer game of all time
Super Mario Galaxy - Best 3D platformer ever
Metroid Prime - One of my most magical gaming experiences I can remember
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Unlike the DS game, it showed that the Miyamoto magic isn't dead
F-Zero GX - Best racing game ever. Period.
Kingdom Hearts - Best use of a license until the emo heavy sequel came along and somewhat tarnished the legacy (a little).
Shadow of the Colossus - Why the hell didn't this magic sell more? So lonely, yet so perfect.
Bioshock - Not since Metroid Prime have I been more sucked into a more engrossing world.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (not the sh*tty sequel) - The campaign was epic, unlike the Michael Bay wannabe sequel.
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - One of the most magical games ever made.
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Gamecube version, fu*k the waggle wand port) - My personal favorite Zelda.
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Who knew killing wolves and collecting pelts over and over could be so damned awesome.
Wario Ware - I clocked way too many hours on this. Too embarrassing to list.
Metroid: Zero Mission - What until recently I thought was my farewell to 2D Metroid, but still an unforgettable experience.
Kirby's Air Ride - Maybe a silly choice, but I got almost as much multiplayer out of this as Melee.

I'll be modifying this list as stuff pops into my head.

Turo602
12-29-2009, 05:28 AM
OOT isn't in this decade. Just fyi.

It's been ported over but I'll make a new list anyway.

Halo Combat Evolved
Max Payne
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
Metroid Fusion
The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario Sunshine
Mario Galaxy
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem
GTA Vice City
GTA 3
GTA San Andreas

odupianist
12-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Fallout 3
Bioshock
GTA Vice City
Super Smash Brothers
Ghostbusters (ok maybe not but I still liked it)
LEGO Star Wars

that's all I've got for now

AquaParade
12-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Metal gear solid 3...Still haven't played 4 though:-?

Honorable Mention: Shadow of the Colossus

GreasyBoi
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2, SSB M and B, (Melee and Brawl), Pokemon Platinum, Grand theft auto (all), Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Halo 3, Mario Party 4 and 6, WWE SD Vs. Raw 2009 and 2010, Star Fox Assault, Guitar Hero Metallica, Rock Band 1 & 2, Luigi's Mansion, The Legend Of Zelda, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart Ds, Star Wars Battlefront, Madden NFL 10, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, Shadow of The Colossus, Resident Evil 4, Soul Calibur 2,3,4, and finally the best game of the decade:
DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!! TMNT for DS!!! LOL :lol: just kidding, that game is the worst game any person could have, it's just jumping and hitting people 3 times and then they're dead.

XERO
01-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Super Smash Bros. Melee - The greatest multiplayer game of all time
Super Mario Galaxy - Best 3D platformer ever
Metroid Prime - One of my most magical gaming experiences I can remember
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Unlike the DS game, it showed that the Miyamoto magic isn't dead
F-Zero GX - Best racing game ever. Period.
Kingdom Hearts - Best use of a license until the emo heavy sequel came along and somewhat tarnished the legacy (a little).
Shadow of the Colossus - Why the hell didn't this magic sell more? So lonely, yet so perfect.
Bioshock - Not since Metroid Prime have I been more sucked into a more engrossing world.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (not the sh*tty sequel) - The campaign was epic, unlike the Michael Bay wannabe sequel.
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - One of the most magical games ever made.
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Gamecube version, fu*k the waggle wand port) - My personal favorite Zelda.
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Who knew killing wolves and collecting pelts over and over could be so damned awesome.
Wario Ware - I clocked way too many hours on this. Too embarrassing to list.
Metroid: Zero Mission - What until recently I thought was my farewell to 2D Metroid, but still an unforgettable experience.
Kirby's Air Ride - Maybe a silly choice, but I got almost as much multiplayer out of this as Melee.

Stuff in bold I totally agree with. But I'm also adding the God of War and Ninja Gaiden series to the list. And of course, Brawl.

R-iZZy
01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Probably my favorite of this decade was Okami. That game was easily the closest experience to Ocarina of Time that I've ever felt.

And I'm not much of an FPS player, but Metroid Prime definitely engrossed me with its detail, imagination and an all-out awesome Sci-Fi experience.

And seeing as I do play fighters almost as much as I play action-adventure games, I definitely have to give my nod to Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Jesus that game robbed me of a lot of gum balls when it finally hit the arcades over here. Once I was able to get it for the PS2 so many years later, that game pretty much trapped my soul.

XERO
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
I feel they exact same way about Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike.

Has it been a decade since that's been out? If not, I'm adding it to my list.

Cure
01-08-2010, 09:32 PM
After much deliberation, I have decided Lost Odyssey from MistWalker is my favorite game of all time. So there.

XERO
01-09-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Prince of Persia yet.

Barkworm
01-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Mine are God of War II, Super Mario Galaxy, Final Fantasy XII, Okami and Shadow of the Colossus.

XERO
01-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Damn, I forgot to put Viewtiful Joe to mine.

Mecha Cow
01-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Geez, I don't know. Way too many games. Zelda: Wind Waker, Paper Mario 2, Super Mario Galaxy, MGS 2-4, No More Heroes, Resident Evil 4, Uncharted 2, etc., etc....

poiuytre
01-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Either Resident Evil 4 or Okami for me.

Aelia
01-10-2010, 09:05 PM
There have been lots of good ones, but if I have to choose just one it has to be Viewtiful Joe.

Barkworm
01-10-2010, 10:02 PM
After playing through it for the first time this weekend, I'll add "Gears of War 2" to my list.

Cure
01-10-2010, 10:45 PM
After playing through it for the first time this weekend, I'll add "Gears of War 2" to my list.

I keep agreeing with you, sir! Peanut and I saw you playing while we were playing Darksiders and were like "I wonder if he would wanna play with us?" and junx.

ThirdMarioBro
01-11-2010, 04:08 AM

niiiiiiice.

Barkworm
01-11-2010, 04:23 AM
I keep agreeing with you, sir! Peanut and I saw you playing while we were playing Darksiders and were like "I wonder if he would wanna play with us?" and junx.

Dude, I totally would but I'm still too cheap (and broke) to get a gold account. Also you wouldn't want to play with me, I suck ass.

How's the Canadian doing by the way?

Cure
01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Dude, I totally would but I'm still too cheap (and broke) to get a gold account. Also you wouldn't want to play with me, I suck ass.

How's the Canadian doing by the way?

Haha, no worries, I suck, too. As for Peanut, he's fine, he's just been super busy. Last weekend was one of his few moments of free time.

saiyan_monkey
02-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Mine are limited to PS2.

Metal Gear Solid 3
Final Fantasy 10
Guitar Hero 3
God Of War
Kingdom Hearts

FFX was awesome with how you could change characters during a fight and keep aeons out for an entire battle.

Mutagen Mutant
02-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Metroid Prime Trilogy - simply the best.

Mutated Turtle
04-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Halo 2,TMNT:Mutant Melee,TMNT 3:Mutant Nightmare,Halo 3,Halo Wars,Halo: Combat Evolved,Dead Space,Gears of War 2,Mortal Kombat:Armagedden,Mortal Kombat:Shaolin Monks,Star Wars: Battle Field 1 & 2,Unreal 2:The Awakening,Call of Duty:Modern Warfare,Army of Two,Robotech:Battlecry. I'm not sure if all of those are from this decade,but I don't feel looking it up right now.

Candy Kappa
04-19-2010, 08:33 AM
easy: Portal

Mutated Turtle
04-19-2010, 08:38 AM
easy: Portal

What is this 'Portal' that everyone talks about?:|

The Stryker
04-19-2010, 09:02 AM

It's a video game. Use the internet.

Mutated Turtle
04-19-2010, 09:05 AM
It's a video game. Use the internet.

I knew it was a video game,I didn't know what kind of video game.And I don't even care. :roll:

The Stryker
04-19-2010, 09:24 AM
I knew it was a video game,I didn't know what kind of video game.And I don't even care. :roll:

Then why did you even ask?

Mutated Turtle
04-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Then why did you even ask?

I meant was it a GOOD game?:roll:

Candy Kappa
04-19-2010, 09:25 AM

haha.. funny, it was a joke right?:lol:

Mutated Turtle
04-19-2010, 09:26 AM
haha.. funny, it was a joke right?:lol:

No.1. Stores don't sell it. 2.From the sounds of it,it's a FPS?

The Stryker
04-19-2010, 09:27 AM

I don't know there weren't any super cool samurai elites running around.

Mutated Turtle
04-19-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't know there weren't any super cool samurai elites running around.

WTH do you mean?:ohwell:

The Stryker
04-19-2010, 09:35 AM
WTH do you mean?:ohwell:

There's nothing to shoot in the game and nothing ridiculously x-treme so you probably wouldn't be interested. It's a first person puzzle game.

Brodie
04-19-2010, 10:42 AM
No.1. Stores don't sell it.

This is wrong. You can find it EVERYWHERE.

Like Stryker said, use the internet, and you'd find that its part of a collection of games, ORANGE BOX.

Candy Kappa
04-19-2010, 11:17 AM

it IS a great game:roll:

XERO
04-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Why are we TYPING like THIS?

Candy Kappa
04-19-2010, 02:13 PM
because IT'S so very KEWL!

feels LIKE I'm WRITING in a Frank miller COMIC, I really WANT to drag THIS further BUT that would be SILLY:P

XERO
04-19-2010, 02:18 PM
William Shatner would be proud.

Peanut
04-19-2010, 02:21 PM
No.1. Stores don't sell it. 2.From the sounds of it,it's a FPS?

Not in a box, you're right. Although, that might not be the case now, but it was originally released for the 360 in The Orange Box and stand-alone on the PC. The Orange Box is a grouping of Valve games, Half-Life 2 and its episodes, Team Fortress 2, and Portal.

Portal is a first-person puzzle game. You play as some science project lady who basically acts as a lab rat. You get this experimental portal gun that lets you create portals in order to solve puzzles. The best part about the game is actually this out-of-control computer AI named GLaDOS, who constantly taunts you during the game. And if you've ever heard the insanely popular song "Still Alive" by Johnathan Coulton, that's from the end of Portal.

It's actually a really funny and fun game, and I suggest you try it out if you get the chance. You can buy the game on XBLA at this point.

Edit: Just read through some of this thread, as I wasn't here when it was made. Barky, if you ever want to play with us, I've got some XBL free-time cards you could use, dawg.

jeff the cheff
04-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Mario Party 8
Super Mario Bros. Wii
Wii Sports
Guitar Hero
Mario Kart Wii
GTA 3
Madden
Super Mario Galaxy
Metal Gear Solid 2

BentonGrey
05-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Hmm...I agree with a lot of the games that have been mentioned here, although there are a few I haven't played....there are a few more that I'm not that fond of, though. I'll go ahead and echo a few of these, then add a few of my own:

Bioshock (Perhaps the most impressive game so far, in terms of setting)
Halo I (The original's story was really quite great, and the game itself was a landmark in game design)
Warhammer: Dawn of War I (Arguably the best RTS of the decade, though there have been sevearl strong contenders)
Super Mario Galaxy (One of the greatest updates to a franchise ever)
Ninja Gaiden (Another incredible update, and one which brought many a kung-fu fantasy to life)
Rome: Total War and Medieval: Total War II (These games are a genre unto themselves, and they are some of the greatest games of all time, incredible in scope, incredible in depth, and just all around capable of swallowing days at a time.)
Neverwinter Nights I, including the two expansions (Because, let's face it, the first one by itself was a pretty weak game. However, the second and third expansions fixed its errors and turned it into what was perhaps the best RPG of the decade.)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance I (The second greatest superhero game of all time, with a solid story and really engaging gameplaly.)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (While there are two very different schools of design in shooters (Halo vs. CoD, to paint it broadly), this is arguably the best designed shooter of the decade. It offers one of the great customizable gaming experiences)
Freedom Force Vs. The Third Reich (A little known cult classic, but its utter flexibility and the excellence of its design have ensconcesd it in my heart as the greatest game of all time.)