PDA

View Full Version : Finding family

MikesPizzaShack
01-10-2010, 05:22 PM
well im not sure where this should goes so im gonna it here. this is kind of a long story. so this morning i had to go into work for really lame meeting. during the meeting being myself i wasnt paying attention and my mind wandered off. i started thinking about my cousin Shawn who him and his whole side of the family that stopped talking to the rest. for some reason in-between the death of my grandma and my grandpa my one uncle who is bi-polar had said some stuff to Shawn's parents (my uncles sister and brother in law) from their on that side just up and dropped connection with everyone. my mom knows more as to what happend but for some reason refuses to tell me any more as to what happend then what ive typed. anyways so a few hours ago still thinking about my cousin i looked him up online.
as a kid i looked up to him cuz he was several years older and liked alot of the same things i did. hes the one who got me into comics and taught me about "collecting" period. so i end up finding his twitter and his myspace. seems like he hasnt changed much. so i added him as a friend as a first step but im worried what might happen next. i dont know if he will accept and talk to me or flat out ignore me. kinda sucks.......

anyone else go thru anything like this before?

Katie
01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I have similar family issues.

One of my father's uncles belongs to a sect of christianity that thinks that if you aren't part of that particular sect that you aren't saved and will go to hell. All of my cousins from that part of the family basically shun us becaue we do not belong to the same church. Silly stuff really.

My great grandmother just died not too long ago. She was part of that sect of christianity along with them. My part of the family was not allowed to sit withthe family at her funeral. And my cousin, who is a preacher (both sons from this uncle are) basically gave a funeral sermon stating that my great grandmother's only wish was that we would all be "saved" and that all the young people would join the church (meaning their church.)

I don't know alot about what caused the split, but the old people in my family talk about a time when my dad's middle brother was walking home from work with one of the sons during a bad thunderstorm (during the 1974 super-outbreak of tornadoes in the area) the uncle came and picked up his son, but wouldn't pick up my uncle, leaving him to walk home alone.

you never know what will happen. but at least you tried. I tried to be friendly with my family at one time only to be lectured that I was going to hell and there was no reason for me to be going to college or planning on a career because a woman's place is in the home having babies.

so i gave up. If hey won't give me a chance, there's not much that I can do.

sad really.

discordiatookie
01-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I hope it'll work out okay for you, its not as if it was you or your cousin that caused this rift.

As for my family, my mum's older brother and sister never spoke to each other for about twelve years after the death of my granda. I believe there was a massive fall out between them over my granda's ashes, and also over all the family photos. It took my sisters engagement party, in which they hadn't seen each other for the said twelve or so years, to finally reconcile. Now they're pretty close again! I'm very close to my sister and her kid, and I don't believe anything would ever make me not talk to her for so long...

MikesPizzaShack
01-12-2010, 11:31 PM
thanks guys... well so far it doesnt seem like hes logged onto his facebook since the day i added him so he hasnt accepted or denied my friends request yet....im really nervous to find out what may or may not happen....

UPDATE

so he accepted my friends request on facebook. i added a short message to it asking how hes been doing and such but no response. im gonna try give it a few more days and see if he messages me anything or what...

New Update 1/14/10
Well he sent me a short message on my facebook asking "whats up?". maybe this will lead to good things.

ooglafina
01-24-2010, 10:51 AM
My dad has two older children from a previous marriage, so I have a brother and sister that I've never met. I looked up my brother last spring on intellius and sent him a letter. He called me back and we talked for about an hour but mostly he wanted to talk about our dad, who we don't really care about and don't talk about much. I haven't been able to get ahold of him since. My sister (the one I grew up with) guessed that he only wanted information on our dad and that they aren't interested in knowing us, since we're the children of the woman who robbed them of their father. Which doesn't make any sense because she didn't meet him until after he left them. If they don't reach out, that's their loss and their problem. I've found that you build family with people who care as you get older and just because someone is a relative doesn't make them family.

MikesPizzaShack
01-24-2010, 03:02 PM
ya i totally agree with that last statement. most of my family is made up of my close friends not the ppl who im related to. in good news my cousin and i have talked several times now. the first time we were talking for about 2 hrs catching up and we sorta found out what happened to the break up with the family. apparently he comes to hang out in my area of Chicago all the time for random things so next time he comes around hes gonna give me a call and were gonna try and hang out. im so happy that he wants to talk to me again. when we were growing up i always looked up to him cuz hes a few years older. hes the person who got me into collecting comics , introduced me to Mirage TMNT and taught me about girls lol.

ooglafina
01-24-2010, 07:56 PM
That's really weird. My cousins that I haven't seen since I was a toddler are coming over this weekend too. Geeks unite.