PDA

View Full Version : New Dark Tranquillity - We Are The Void

Spitfire
01-28-2010, 09:42 PM
I know a few of you on here listen to DT. I've been following them pretty closely since I discovered them sometime after they released "Damage Done". Every CD they've been evolving further and further. I personally love it but fans of their pre-Damage Done CDs won't find anything to love here.

Anyways onto the CD I was able to listen to the whole thing and I gotta say I like it quite a bit. I've heard it about 9 or 10 times by now so I have the songs down pretty well. It took a few listens to get into it but I've always had that with them. I really like "Fiction" and was looking forward to this release. I heard "Dream Oblivion" on their Myspace and lost some of that excitement. It sounded like "Focus Shift" or "Lost To Apathy" they seem to remake that song on every album now. After hearing the whole album though I can say they have done a great job.

I always liked Mikel's vocals and on this album he tires doing clean vocals again. He actually does a good job and I like it more then when he tried them on "Fiction". I personally don't like clean vocals in metal because 90% of the time it doesn't match or work with the music. DT doesn't have this problem and only uses them when it works. I have to give credit to the mix as well. It sounds pretty good for a home brew recording. "Character" was in house as well and it sounded terrible. "Fiction"'s production blew me away so it's nice to see no quality shift. A lot of metal bands jump around the map in that department for some reason, Arch Enemy comes to mind.

Anyways I recommend it to fans. It has some great songs on it. If your not a fan already this won't change your mind but it's a good addition. It's nice to see a metal band do what they're passionate about and not change their style for profit. I too often see that and it's saddening. I also too often see great bands like this run out of ideas. These guys have been going for 16+ years and are still keeping it fresh.

PAAATE
01-29-2010, 01:22 AM
I've only heard it twice yet, but I really enjoy it. Haha, and for some reason my favorite part of the whole album is the very oriental intro to Shadow in Our Blood. I just find that exciting :P

Also, DT is one of the few bands who's lyrics I really like. Usually I don't listen to the words, and just listen to the sounds that the words consist of (if that makes sense), but that's mostly because metal-lyrics are often retarded. Actually, lyrics overall are often retarded. But I digress.

Very good album, and I'm looking forward to seeing them live this summer :) They're gonna play at the Metaltown Festival here in Sweden and Metaltown is a summer staple for me :P So, lucky me!

Koschei
01-29-2010, 11:21 AM
They're one of those bands I've heard once and liked but never really paid much attention too.
Diffidently gonna check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Spitfire
02-03-2010, 03:00 PM
I've only heard it twice yet, but I really enjoy it. Haha, and for some reason my favorite part of the whole album is the very oriental intro to Shadow in Our Blood. I just find that exciting :P
I really liked that too. My favorite part is the outro, it reminds me of "The Fountain" for some reason.

Also, DT is one of the few bands who's lyrics I really like. Usually I don't listen to the words, and just listen to the sounds that the words consist of (if that makes sense), but that's mostly because metal-lyrics are often retarded. Actually, lyrics overall are often retarded. But I digress.
I couldn't have put it better myself. They don't go for the bone headed lyrics. That's probably why their fan base over here in the states is pretty small. Metal fans in the US are mostly into obvious metal stereotype lyrics about killing people and blood. Slayer's been guilty of it for years now and they haven't gotten any wiser as time goes on.

Very good album, and I'm looking forward to seeing them live this summer :) They're gonna play at the Metaltown Festival here in Sweden and Metaltown is a summer staple for me :P So, lucky me!

Very lucky. I'm missing them this year. Their tour here is them opening for some bands I really don't like. I love DT but I'm not paying 30 bucks to watch them for 20 minutes. Especially since last time I saw them they co-headlined with Arch Enemy.

They're one of those bands I've heard once and liked but never really paid much attention too.
Diffidently gonna check it out. Thanks for the heads up.
To be honest if all I heard was stuff before "Haven" I'd have avoided them too. "Damage Done" sold me though. Depends on the mood you're in too. They're music isn't as exciting as other metal bands it works in a different way. Though this new album has a few more energetic songs then usual.

Give it a whirl it's worth at least a try. Hope you like it.