PDA

View Full Version : Gorillaz- Plastic Beach *New album*

Powder
03-14-2010, 03:32 AM
Anyone else pick this up? I've been following gorillaz since day one... I've got their demos and everything. They've gotta be my favorite 'band' ever. Lots of versatility in the bunch. Anyhow, the album has some very interesting collaborations; Snoop Dogg, De La Soul, Mos Def, Little Dragon, Lou Reed, Bobby Womack, The Clash (sans Joe Strummer RIP), & more. Its their best to date in my opinion. Favorite songs: Empire ants, On Melancholy Hill, Broken, ahh too many to list.

agliarept
03-14-2010, 11:00 AM
oh yea im a huge fan as well, have all their giant statues and prints etc. albums great, haves heard it at least 100 times now. i think all the songs are great even the intro. cant wait for their shows in the states.

Master Splinter
03-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I've always loved the Gorillaz too... Del tha Funkee Homosapien was the bomb on Clint Eastwood...

-ms

RAM BAM
03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I've always loved the Gorillaz too... Del tha Funkee Homosapien was the bomb on Clint Eastwood...

-ms

Clint Eastwood is their best song, never get sick of it.

Powder
03-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Anyone see the video they just put out for "Stylo"? Haha its sick. CGI band, Car chases, Bruce Willis, such win.

discordiatookie
03-16-2010, 01:41 PM
I always prefer the art and graphics rather than the music with Gorillaz. I got their debut but just couldn't get into it past a few tracks - not my cup of tea at all. So for me - great singles band, fantastic videos, and art, etc - but a full album is a wee bit outta my taste. Oh, I did get a frickin' awesome DVD boxset once which was released round the time of their first album - you can explore their studio and watch the videos, etc - it came with some stickers and other bits and bobs. Its called Phase One: Celebrity Take Down. And I would love to see them live - i've seen footage before and it looks fantastic.

VaughnMichael
03-16-2010, 01:45 PM
This cd totally sucked major @ss, the Gorillaz are on maybe 4 or 5 songs, the rest is a bunch of other singers and that is about it.
I made the mistake of buying the 21.00 version and let me tell you this cd isn't even worth 5.00.
The cd starts with freaking snoopdog, I mean seriously snoopdog?
This isn't a Gorillaz cd to me, if I could go back in time and warn myself of anything it would be not to waste 21.00 on this crap cd.:lol:
I will think twice before buying another Gorillaz cd now, I should have bought Eels new cd instead.

The Stryker
03-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm not a Gorillaz fan by any means but....What's wrong with Snoop Dogg?

VaughnMichael
03-16-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm not a Gorillaz fan by any means but....What's wrong with Snoop Dogg?
It's not even so much about him or maybe it is, I'd of not been botherd so much by him if he sang a small bit but the entire song is him with the Gorillaz type of music.
I paid for a Gorillaz cd not a compilation of rap songs.
Now I know the Gorillaz have always worked with rap artists in the past but this cd is major overkill for me.

The Stryker
03-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Snoop isn't a singer though. He's a rapper. Of course he's gonna rap.

The Gorillaz always seemed to be, to me atleast like an indy pop band with heavy hip hop influence. This seems like more of the same.

Powder
03-16-2010, 07:57 PM
The Gorillaz always seemed to be, to me atleast like an indy pop band with heavy hip hop influence. This seems like more of the same.

Quite true. I think what vaughn is referring to specifically is how they handled the song. It seems like they got a 16 bar verse from snoop, chopped it up and put like 2 bars in every 20 seconds as if he were on some spoken word sh!t. Its kinda wack. One long life lesson from snoop with lyrics that most certainly do not fit on the song.

VaughnMichael
03-16-2010, 08:14 PM
The point I'm trying to make is that this is a Gorillaz cd, or it was supposed to be.
I'm a huge Gorillaz fan myself I found out about them years before they even got air time in the states via a great Uk magazine called Dazed & Confused.
This to me is just not the Gorillaz, what we have here is more of a Rap compilation cd.
We're lucky if we get the main singer of Gorillaz Damon Albarn's vocals on 5 songs out of 16 songs, which is seriously dissapointing.
I mean if he's on those other songs well then you could have fooled me.

Oculus Orbus
03-26-2010, 09:22 PM
I love Plastic Beach. I was a big fan of Jamie Hewlett before Gorillaz, so for me at the begining it was all about the drawings, but then I really got into their music. I've followed them since they first started and I can't say this is their best album, but it's definitely as good as the others.

"Some Kind Of Nature" with Lou Reed is awesome, and I can't stop singing "On Melancholy Hill" in my head. I find it very sad that the new video is CGI, because I really enjoyed it when they were animated straight from Hewlett's style, but as for the music, I think this album has got a good bunch of great songs.

rav4ge
03-26-2010, 10:56 PM
I absolutely loved Demon Days so I might buy this one then. Some Snoop Dogg in there actually sounds pretty refreshing.