PDA

View Full Version : Would a different artist save tmnt vol 4

gbhq
06-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Do you think that if there was a different penciller other than Jim Lawson
doing vol 4 it would have turned out better? - maybe Dan Berger?

CyberCubed
06-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Although I like Jim Lawson on Vol. 4, I do wonder if it would have sold more if it had the same exact story but with a different artist.

I'd love to have seen Michael Dooney or Dan Berger draw Volume 4. Would have been cool, but as I said I'm used to Jim Lawson's art so I'm fine with it as is.

Shellsweet
06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Although I like Jim Lawson on Vol. 4, I do wonder if it would have sold more if it had the same exact story but with a different artist.

I'd love to have seen Michael Dooney or Dan Berger draw Volume 4. Would have been cool, but as I said I'm used to Jim Lawson's art so I'm fine with it as is.

Totally Agree with that! It would be a shame if it never got to finish the story. :/

ToTheNines
06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
1. Art was not the main problem with volume 4.

2. The art looked frickin great until like issue #10 when they ruined the shading.

Spitfire
06-30-2010, 07:01 PM
If it had a steady release schedule and better art maybe. Whenever I'd buy an issue the various shop workers I'd talk to would comment on how bad the art was. I think that turned away any potential comic readers who remember them from back in the day or casual people who picked it up just to check it out. I know the Tales books at my comic shops would always sell out or sell more copies while the V4's collected dust.

gbhq
06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I would have to say that i actually like Jim Lawsons art, but it took me a few years to get used to it - unlike other artists like Dooney and Berger were I
instantly liked it. From my experience people that have never seen his art then suddeny see it - hate it because it's not the style they are used to.
I would like to know if Peter Laird had any influence on Lawsons artwork

Cipher
06-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Lawson's a fine artist, and his style really grows on you. Perfect fit for the tone of the series.

That said, he was never going to help sell the book. Comic buyers want their books to look a certain way, and Lawson's style isn't it, which is too bad. I'm sure it would find more acceptance in a loftier series or experimental projects, but yeah, it must have been a hard swallow when Turtles was parading around as an action-adventure book (which it isn't). So would another artist have improved sales?

They'd have to have been damn good, and have a hell of a lot of mass appeal to have made up for the random scheduling and lack of promotion. So probably not.

CyberCubed
06-30-2010, 10:51 PM
does it really matter if it sold more? PL would have still went on the same hiatus, him stopping Vol. 4 had nothing to do with the sales.

DK2
07-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Another artist may have barely even had any impact on the sales for TMNT Vol.4. Thru and thru TMNT in comics were just never gonna get a blip on the sales. Its up to the comic stores to bring it in and that just never happened. All the marketing wouldn`t do anything. The comic itself needed to make itself look like something that would sell and maintain readers. Mirage just wasn`t doing or gonna get any of this from the retailers or the readers.

gbhq
07-01-2010, 08:55 PM
That's also true, Peter Laird's ****** attitude toward th whole thing didn't help either!