PDA

View Full Version : Humor is where 2k3 failed terribly at

sdp
09-28-2010, 09:41 AM
The show is excellent in almost all aspects except humor, it seems so forced and out of touch in general. Its odd how a series that excelled in most other things failed hard at trying to add humor. Now I'm not the one that thinks the 2k3 series should have been done without humor, I think its necessary but most of the humor is so childish and unfunny, I'd get a few chuckles every once in a while but most of the time I'd just cringe, and I'm one who watches a lot of shows with awful attempts at humor without cringing much.

Its also odd that they made Mikey be the "cool/hip" guy of the group while also making him the "geeky/dork" in the group, a bit contradicting.

oldmanwinters
09-28-2010, 09:44 AM
I felt like the first two seasons had some really great bits of tongue in cheek humor and pop culture references. After that, the show really did start to fail at most attempts at humor. They gradually downgraded Mikey into an 8-year-old's mentality and the "shell" puns started to become unbearable.

Ninjafromanotherseries
09-28-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't know, I laughed many times out loud. Like oldmanwinters said seasons 1 and 2 had best humor.

I think top three funniest moments are Casey creating diversion in Search for Splinter part 1.

Opening fight in Notes from underground part 2.

The whole episode H.A.T.E.

Gyt Kaliba
09-28-2010, 10:41 AM
I haven't seen enough of it yet overall to say how funny I find it in the end, but I have a pretty broad sense of humor so I doubt I'll be too disappointed. Remember that this show was trying to be as different from the old toon as possible though. Whereas the old toon focused really heavily on comedy with the tiniest sprinklings of comedy, this one tried to give us action - and boy did it deliver.

Scandia
09-28-2010, 11:40 AM
It may not be as hilarious as the OT, but I do not think it is horrendously dull either. It just has a different tone.

Powder
09-28-2010, 04:00 PM
It was 50/50. There were some pretty funny moments, & some serious "face-palm" moments aswell.

shuriken
09-28-2010, 06:22 PM
It was 50/50. There were some pretty funny moments, & some serious "face-palm" moments aswell.

^^This. Thre were time when I was laughing out loud. Other times when I was just like "huh? how about that?"

The way of invisibility was hilarious though, where Casey was an unwanted guest at the lair and kept breaking stuff.

Turo602
09-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Hey! I want to see the head geek!!! But yeah it was about 50/50. Half of the jokes sucked and half of the jokes were chuckable or even laughable.

CyberCubed
09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah, the humor was hit or miss.

There were definitely some funny moments throughout the series, but for every, "funny moment," there was another joke that fell flat or was strictly aimed at kids under 8.

Eiko
09-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Most of the jokes where like meh not funny.

Jester
09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I'll be honest, I don't remember the jokes that well, I'd have to rewatch before I have a definitive opinion one way or the other.

Mutated Turtle
09-28-2010, 09:47 PM
The show is excellent in almost all aspects except humor, it seems so forced and out of touch in general. Its odd how a series that excelled in most other things failed hard at trying to add humor. Now I'm not the one that thinks the 2k3 series should have been done without humor, I think its necessary but most of the humor is so childish and unfunny, I'd get a few chuckles every once in a while but most of the time I'd just cringe, and I'm one who watches a lot of shows with awful attempts at humor without cringing much.

Its also odd that they made Mikey be the "cool/hip" guy of the group while also making him the "geeky/dork" in the group, a bit contradicting.

Soooo, you expect a series that is based off a comic book that has people killing will have "humor"?

Venom
09-28-2010, 10:14 PM
I somewhat echo MT's comment, as I was thinking a very similiar thought. It goes to show how serious the comics were that by interjecting humor into an otherwise straight-forward story seemed (rightfully) out of place and forced.

Not to say I didn't chuckle at times: one of my fave moments is Mike's "Yeah, a little TOO Raph" quip! :tlol:

Leonardo_Warrior_Turtle
09-28-2010, 10:17 PM
IDK, I thought the whole, "Nice hats." bit in 'The Shredder Strikes Back Part II' was funny when the other three Turtles meet the Elite for the first time.

triplexxx
09-29-2010, 04:49 AM
Well TMNT wouldn't be one of my favorite obsessions if I liked it only for the humor, I liked everything about the shows and the movies.

shuriken
09-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Disregarding the first mirage comic, a lot if not most of the comics had humor in them, granted not off the wall slapstick humor, but little comments and jokes that felt pretty well placed.

sdp
09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
To clear things up:
I'm not comparing the humor of the OT to the 2k3 show the tone of the shows is totally different and from a different era, I'm comparing it to humor of recent/similar shows in general. JLU and Avatar are both serious cartoons that had humor in them and it ranged from actually funny to funny if I was still a kid. The 2k3 humor on the other hand is cringe worthy even if I had been a kid, just very lame attempts.

Soooo, you expect a series that is based off a comic book that has people killing will have "humor"?

I'm expecting that if a show wants to implement humor for it to not be terrible at it, but if you actually insert humor at least make an effort with it.

Besides your post makes no sense, the OT is humor and based on those same comics. Most comic book properties have plenty of people killing and yet make plenty of cartoons/movies with humor in them.

Rat A Tat
09-29-2010, 01:07 PM
I thought the humor was scarce, but usually pretty well executed, from what I can remember. Just my opinion of course. There were lots of moments I found quite humorous.

-The "nice hats" jokes with the elite ninja
-Mikey immitating Splinter saying "The way of invisibility"
-::pooooot:: What? It's just air.
-Give me a toaster or give me death!

etc etc.

Cipher
09-29-2010, 02:00 PM
It goes to show how serious the comics were that by interjecting humor into an otherwise straight-forward story seemed (rightfully) out of place and forced.What comics were you reading? Barring some of the bleakest moments of "Return to New York," "City at War" (which still slipped in some subtle jokes) and Volume 2, there's humor all over the place.

Especially in the first issue, which is one big melodramatic joke itself. If you ignore the fact that it spawned a semi-serious storyline, and just look at it as the one-shot it was intended to be, it's pretty funny stuff.

The difference is the humor in the comics is subtle and self-referential, while the 4Kids cartoon uses one-liners, burps, and slapstick. The problem isn't adding humor, it's the fact that the humor they do add is just f*cking terrible.

You know what made me laugh in that series? "Spoooooons!", and maybe a few things in Fast Forward. That was it. I don't usually laugh out loud at the Mirage comics either, but I at least grin, which is a lot better than the outright cringes produced by most of the 4Kids episodes.

Soooo, you expect a series that is based off a comic book that has people killing will have "humor"? Well, I mean, they kill. But they also parody. And crack jokes. And go to space. And don't kill. And have wacky time-travel adventures. And babysit children. And act as placeholders in underground artists' visual experiments. And etc, etc. The comics are a lot of things, including humorous. Dan Berger's issues are all pretty lauded, and I can't think of a single one that's not at least a little tongue-in-cheek.

Berserker
09-29-2010, 02:17 PM
I see the 2k3 humor as along the same lines as Indiana Jones. Here we have this over-the-top, sometimes deadly serious action/adventure tone, occasionally interjected by some totally cornball attempts at humor. The Indiana Jones series is filled with mostly slapstick humor, actually, and is in no way subtle; the jokes are intended to break up the mood. If the films didn't have those gags, they would suck.

Now, I'm not saying 2K3's writing is as clever as Indiana Jones (it isn't,) but the type of humor there and the reason why it exists is very similar.
________
NASH 600 (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Nash_600)

PAAATE
09-29-2010, 04:40 PM
If the films didn't have those gags, they would suck.

They do anyway :P

But yes, the jokes... Casey going nuts at TCRI... is probably... the only... No, the "nice hats" one too... Those two are the funny ones that I can recall, but I guess there are more, not worth remembering.

Spitfire
09-29-2010, 06:34 PM
I laughed a few times. The scene where Mikey is dicking around with buttons in the hover car and it disconnects and flies off while he's yelling like a girl cracked me up. I also thought the "All Hallows Thieves" episode had some funny moments. Mainly Leo getting all mad at his brothers trying to enjoy themselves. The pigeon puppet joke was great. Especially after reading the comic. Totally took a crack at it there.

Just a few moments that I liked. It wasn't often but the show did make me laugh. Sometimes it was more of a "heh" in response to a TV reference.

Prowler
09-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah, the humor in this series is more annoyign then funny, Mikey acting like an 8 year old doesn't help either.

The "Nice hats!" line in Shredder Strikes Part 1(if I'm not mistaken) made me grin but Casey's distraction at the TCRI building is the only thing scene actually made me laugh.

Sage Ninja
09-29-2010, 10:02 PM
I must be one humourless f*ck, I have almost never laughed at anything in this show. There are things people have described as piss your self funny and it didn't get a reaction out of me at all. For the most part I agree with sdp about the humour aspect of this series. Everything else rocked though.

Kali
09-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I thought the series was hit and miss with humor, but there was still a lot I found funny. True, most of Mikey's jokes and gags were over the top but I thought Splinter was hilarious. The first episode in particular had some great moments, but, yeah, I think the subtle humor got lost as the series continued (although it's been awhile since I've sat and watched the whole series.)

Nelson
10-01-2010, 06:06 AM
"Nice hats" felt kind of forced to me. Casey in TCRI was nice but went on for too long. Most of the jokes are just ok, but are further spoiled by that little musical cue that comes after them.

Some jokes where actually funny to me, like "walk this way" in ep 1.

Spitfire mentioned "All Hallows Thieves" and I agree that it deserved mention. It was a nice episode with some funny moments.

The turtles wandering endlessly through various rooms in TCRI was fun, too. Although I've been informed that it was too similar to that movie "Cube". I haven't seen it, but that comparison is easy to believe because at the end, that's the main problem with TMNT. Everything reminds you of another work of fiction. Aside for the title characters, TMNT is hardly original.

Ninjafromanotherseries
10-02-2010, 05:41 AM
. Everything reminds you of another work of fiction. Aside for the title characters, TMNT is hardly original.

And even they are just parodies from superhero comics. I say Casey Jones more original, sure there are many vigilante characters but they are usually smart, Casey is just nuts and he has very unique weaponry.

Also another very funny moment is from "Garbageman" when Mikey yells something like " don't mess with T-M-N-T" then Raph " seriously, you are embarrasing us all" .

Leonardo Mystic
10-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Also another very funny moment is from "Garbageman" when Mikey yells something like " don't mess with T-M-N-T" then Raph " seriously, you are embarrasing us all" .

Heh. I think it went like this;

Mikey: T-M-N-T! What you get is what you see!
Raph: Seriously, you're only embarrassing yourself.

Tomoshibi Amatsu
10-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I personally never felt all that much for the humor in either the OT or the NT. They were both pretty bad. That shell thing especially. That was completely unnecessary.

Koi
10-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Maybe they should just get rid of humor in all TMNT incarnations. ;)

I am biased with 2k3 because well... I dislike the 2k3. So I felt the humor was bad as well.

Coola Yagami
10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
A real lame one was in Adventures in Babysitting, when they were worried about Casey, April and Don, Mike kept mentioning Don and April, until Leo corrected Mike 'And Casey. April, Donnie AND Casey', and Mike's like 'I forgot' *insert comedic musical cue*

Um..... wha? I don't get it..... just wasn't funny at all???

BubblyShell22
10-06-2010, 01:19 PM
2K3 was hit and miss a lot of times, but I liked some of the jokes. Splinter was often hilarious in earlier seasons with some of his jokes. I loved the "nice hats" line in SSB pt. 2. There were a few other jokes that made me laugh, though I can't remember them all. Some of it was facepalm worthy, but at other times the humor worked well.

FlawedCoil82
10-06-2010, 08:31 PM
I wasn't bothered by this. Never once in my life have I thought "man I am in the mood for some laughs. I know! I'll watch TMNT!" I always go elsewhere for humor.
Jack

NameGoesHere1066
10-14-2010, 08:19 AM
"Nice hats" felt kind of forced to me. Casey in TCRI was nice but went on for too long. Most of the jokes are just ok, but are further spoiled by that little musical cue that comes after them.

I agree on all points you made. The first time the "Nice hats" line was said it was mildly clever. Then they had to over do it by having anyone one who saw the elite make the same comment. No dice.

That stupid musical cue was over done way to much. You know why the simpsons humor works? The jokes are just said with the impact relying on the delivery, not some stupid sound affect.

I guess I might be aline but I actually found Casey to be pretty darn funny for the most part. But it's not when he was being a shmuck I found funny but his mannerisms.

Splinter was hit and miss for me, yeah, he was funny but other times I wanted to punch the rat in the face. He could easily be as obnoxious as Mikey at times. Believe it or not the turtle that got the most chuckles outta me was Donatello. There is something kind of funny about him when he's irritable or pissed off.

k_lala
10-14-2010, 11:33 AM
I thought the show was funny, but you have to understand this show has a different tone than the old series. It had a really good blend of mixing humor, action, with the hard core story.

It was perfect to be honest!

gobo
10-14-2010, 11:56 AM
It was perfect to be honest!
You's marriage material, by gumbo! ^_^

LioConvoy
10-17-2010, 07:48 PM
In all honesty, this show made me laugh a lot. Mostly for the brotherly interaction with the turtles, or the more "real life"ish humor. Splinter making fun of Michaelangelo's laziness in Season 3's Grugde Match episode is an example of this. You people are way too critical.

k_lala
10-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I also thought the episode when they first went down to the underground was hilarious!

BlueLightning
10-29-2010, 10:08 AM
From the title of the thread I would imagine someone is trying to find reasons for not liking the new series... There may be better reasons to criticise the series, being already discussed in other places, but humor is scratching the bottom of the barrel.

I laughed a lot with this cartoon, because the humorous parts were unexpected. Like someone said above, I never watched the series because I was trying to get a good laugh, I watched because I liked the story.

gobo
10-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Correctamundo! The stories were the truly bodacious part. The scattered jokes were just, like, the icing on the pizza! ^_^

NameGoesHere1066
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
A real lame one was in Adventures in Babysitting, when they were worried about Casey, April and Don, Mike kept mentioning Don and April, until Leo corrected Mike 'And Casey. April, Donnie AND Casey', and Mike's like 'I forgot' *insert comedic musical cue*

Um..... wha? I don't get it..... just wasn't funny at all???

the funny part is that no one (at least Mikey in this case) didn't really care about the brain-dead vigilante since he had to keep being reminded about his presence....

a part thay made me laugh in the show was Raph belting out a lusty "Ye-freakin-ha!" in the episode the people choice....I know it probably seems weak, but I always seem to get a kick out of Raph.

Rikirk
11-16-2010, 07:59 PM
The only 'Humor' I really didnt go for was the Ancient one and his penchant for ... well you know. That got real old real fast.

One of my favorite bits was in Turtles forever. The 1987 turtles bring the 2k7 turtles into the garage. And Raph utters the line:
"What?!...the tank was in the shop?"

Love it.

ToTheNines
11-16-2010, 08:20 PM
One of my favorite bits was in Turtles forever. The 1987 turtles bring the 2k7 turtles into the garage. And Raph utters the line:
"What?!...the tank was in the shop?"

Love it.

"What?... your clown car's in the shop?" *

Rikirk
11-17-2010, 12:26 AM
My bad,..thank you.

BubblyShell22
11-17-2010, 09:09 AM
I loved The Ancient One's humor and his farting. Yeah, some people may not like it, but I thought it was hilarious, especially when he said, "It's just air." When my mom saw the ep, she just laughed when he said that.

Jelly Bean
11-23-2010, 12:15 PM
wasn't fart jokes too juvinile even for the 80's cartoon to attempt?

ABrown
11-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I found the 2003 cartoon to be far and away much funnier that then 1987 cartoon. Remember, there's a difference between humor and cheesiness.

Coola Yagami
11-25-2010, 12:27 AM
I just bought the TMNT 'Alien Invasion' DVD. One part that did make me laugh a bit was then Mikey was rockin it up and helping out alot. The part when he lands their spaceship perfectly and unnoticed by the other Triceratons in the larger ship, and Raph comments on he's amazed on how helpful Mikey's been. Leo says "See, he's not completely useless." and you hear Mikey's voice offline say 'I heard that!' I have to admit, that made me chuckle.

Coola Yagami
11-25-2010, 12:28 AM
I just bought the TMNT 'Alien Invasion' DVD. One part that did make me laugh a bit was then Mikey was rockin it up and helping out alot. The part when he lands their spaceship perfectly and unnoticed by the other Triceratons in the larger ship, and Raph comments on he's amazed on how helpful Mikey's been. Leo says "See, he's not completely useless." and you hear Mikey's voice offscreen say 'I heard that!' I have to admit, that made me chuckle.

kenshin
11-25-2010, 09:29 AM
my personel opinion humor in 2k3 isn't that bad.I don't remember all.

but here is ones I remeber and love it;

Splinter; It is as the great sage and warrior Kenji Hashimura once said, "Why walk when you can ride?"

Leo remember past Shredder wants to join him then mickey says "join me leonardo I'm father." I'm not a star wars fan but it's funny.

During bishop's fake alien invasion Raph says; "Hey look, an alien invasion. You don't see that every day...oh wait...yeah, we do"

Raph: do? you think we scard them off.
Leo: nope!
Raph: do you think something really big is comeing now
Leo: yap!!!!

even Fast Foward has good humor I remember one of the episodes mickey made a raph puppet.It was funniest episode ever.

Tomoshibi Amatsu
11-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Well the stories were interesting, but I still don't think the jokes were all that great. They were funny in a "Oh that Splinter/Casey/Mikey/etc." kind of way.

Or they were just a plain wa wa wa waaaaaaaaah kind of joke.

12-08-2010, 04:05 AM
I dunno... "Yo momma's" made me chuckle. And Don's fail on emulating the Matrix gets also plus points.

But yeah, hit or miss. 2K3 Mikey tried so hard to be OT Raph's counterpart... him being genre savvy and all... but he sort of failed to be funny.

Koi
12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I can't even watch the 2k3 in my household because it is so rank. My family very much thinks it is cheesy and lame, which in turns makes 2k3 to never be allowed to be watched on any public screens in my house. I still though will watch an episode or so once in awhile on my computer. I enjoy the action scenes, but I really dislike the humor, and most of the dialog to be honest. It was pretty bad.

Jelly Bean
12-08-2010, 01:17 PM
how about the charactersations? Are those OK?

Tomoshibi Amatsu
12-16-2010, 11:17 PM
I dunno... "Yo momma's" made me chuckle. And Don's fail on emulating the Matrix gets also plus points.

But yeah, hit or miss. 2K3 Mikey tried so hard to be OT Raph's counterpart... him being genre savvy and all... but he sort of failed to be funny.

Maybe they should have just kept Mike and Raph from being Laurel and Hardy. Things might have been alright then.

12-19-2010, 06:26 AM
OK, I finally watched the Fast Forward episodes in a one sit marathon. And their "It's Ninja Time!" catchphrase still made me laugh like an idiot (to be fair, I also laugh whenever Ben in Alien Force calls out his alien persona like a Pokemon).

Seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I find myself liking some stories in FF... but I still don't like Cody tho.

technicalfoul
12-19-2010, 06:56 AM
The 2K3 series had fine humour, except for the Ancient One farting and the constant shell puns. Those may have been funny the first or second time, but 3 times per episode for 100+ episodes gets annoying. It's a great show otherwise though.

k_lala
12-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Mikey made me laugh in the Underground series where he was scared of the monsters. His girly laugh always made me laugh.

Sage Ninja
12-24-2010, 08:09 AM
I thought Mikey being scared was a rather heavy handed in the underground in those episodes.

Redeemer
12-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Mikey made me laugh in the Underground series where he was scared of the monsters. His girly laugh always made me laugh.

Yeah lol I loved that, but I do think the OT had better humor, but I enjoyed the 2k3 humor more, bc it was more of a retard humor, and when I am that focus into a dark storyline like 2k3. The OT had more of a sophisticated humor which I still enjoy, bc I am not extremely drawn in from th estoryline