PDA

View Full Version : Top ten albums

Abnormal Freak
01-29-2011, 12:29 AM
OK, so we have the top ten bands/artists thread, so now, what are your top ten favorite albums? Soundtracks and whatever included.

Usually mine is taken up by four Skinny Puppy albums. :p This time, I've decided to restrict myself to one album per artist.

1. Iggy Pop - The Idiot
2. Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
3. Skinny Puppy - Last Rights
4. David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
5. Prick - Prick
6. Pet Shop Boys - Very
7. Kraftwerk - Computerwelt
8. Sparks - Angst in My Pants
9. Pop Will Eat Itself - This Is the Day...This Is the Hour...This Is This!
10. Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power (original Bowie mix)

...I think. :p It's hard to say with these sorts of things. But that's a pretty good approximation of my favorite albums at this point in time. Although, I'm still a little undecided on whether I like Diamond Dogs or "Heroes" more...or maybe Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)...or Low...or, or... Gosh, Bowie's just too darn cool.

Powder
01-29-2011, 12:57 AM
I'll try. It will be a little hard.

In no order-

1. In The Wee Small Hours- Frank Sinatra
2. ...And Out Come The Wolves- Rancid
3. Eyelid Movies- Phantogram
4. Selected Ambient Works- Aphex Twin
5. Gorillaz- Gorillaz
5. Moment Of Truth- Gangstarr
6. Ray Guns Are Not Just The Future- The Bird & The Bee
7. Dark Side Of The Moon- Pink Floyd
8. DK Jamz (Donkey Kong OST *Yes, in my book it counts*)- David Wise, Others
9. Transplants- Transplants
10. Gore Obsessed- Cannibal Corpse

That's what I'll say for now, it's not easy tryna pick.

Abnormal Freak
01-29-2011, 01:04 AM
Man, I wish I owned the first two Donkey Kong Country OSTs or at least had CD rips of 'em. :( My brother bought the cassettes way back in the day when we only had one CD player, and the tapes are sadly real worn down and kind of warped sounding now.

It's ridiculous how much money those CDs go for these days, even the Japanese releases. Maybe I'll one day get lucky and score the 3-CD DKC Trilogy set, which contains some additional tracks that weren't present on the individual releases.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs039.snc3/12669_210955230434_690670434_4621374_4678541_n.jpg

Sigh...

Loco
02-01-2011, 12:07 PM
If I had to take a top Ten on a Desert Island...

1 - KoЯn - Follow The Leader
2 - Psycho Realm - 1997 - The Steel Storm
3 - Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP - Em's Show
4 - Massive Attack - Karmakoma - Angel
5 - Tool - Aenima - Lateralus
6 - Cypress Hill - Discography
7 - Marilyn Manson - Mechanicals Animals
8 - Snot - Get Some _ Skunk Anansie - Post Orgasmic Chill
9 - Prodigy - The Fat of The Land - Music 4 the Jilted Generation
10 - Despo Rutti - Convictions Suicidaires

I'm good to go , since You did not said how much cd's we can put in the same album case ;)

RAM BAM
03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Great Topic!

In no order also:

1. Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring
2. Radiohead - In Rainbows
3. Housemartins - Now That's What I Call Quite Good
4. Secret Garden - Dawn Of A New Century
5. Swing Out Sister - Kaleidoscope World
6. Pet Shop Boys - Alternative
7. Northern Portrait - Criminal Art Lovers
8. Cocteau Twins - Victorialand
9. Karunesh - Zen Breakfast
10. Everything But The Girl - The Language Of Life

Honourable Mentions:
Burt Bacharach & Elvis Costello - Painted From Memory
Talk Talk - It's My Life
Morrissey - Vauxall & I
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head (Would make it to the top ten if it didn't lose steam halfway through the album.)

rufus
04-04-2011, 04:48 PM
1) The Jesus and Mary Chain: Pyscocandy
2) Nirvana:Bleach
3) Joy Divsion:Closer
4) Thunderball:John Barry
5) The Final Cut:Pink Floyd
6) Back To The Future: Alan Silvestri
7) Polaris:Music from the Adventures of Pete and Pete
8) Raiders of the Lost Ark:John Williams
9) Star Trek:The Motion Picture: Jerry Goldsmith
10) Disintegration: The Cure

Abnormal Freak
04-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Sheeit, Closer and Bleach are good. It's kinda sad that Nirvana's next album was Nevermind, which I've never been able to stand beyond the first few songs; I don't like its songwriting nor its sound, yet it's the album most everybody knows Nirvana for. At least they got back on track with In Utero.

Seein' another Pet Shop Boys mention. B) Alternative is definitely a rich album. Sometimes I consider that one my favorite. Sometimes Behaviour. It switches, but Very is most consistently my favorite.

Glad someone else realizes that Mechanical Animals is Manson's best album. :p I don't really care for any of his other stuff, save for maybe a handful of songs off Antichrist Superstar. You'd think I'd like that album more 'cos it's co-produced by Trent Reznor and Dave Ogilvie, but, nope—I don't like the songs very well.

RAM BAM
04-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Seein' another Pet Shop Boys mention. B) Alternative is definitely a rich album. Sometimes I consider that one my favorite. Sometimes Behaviour. It switches, but Very is most consistently my favorite.

Nice to see someone else likes the Alternative album.
This is the album the hard core fans love. I like it best because I think it represents what the Pet Shop Boys sound like without album producers.

Donnie
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Bleach are good. It's kinda sad that Nirvana's next album was Nevermind, which I've never been able to stand beyond the first few songs; I don't like its songwriting nor its sound, yet it's the album most everybody knows Nirvana for. At least they got back on track with In Utero.

While I'll agree with you that In Utero is far superior than Nevermind, I can't see how you'd prefer Bleach over it. Nevermind has Drain You, Lithium, In Bloom, Something in the Way, On A Plain...all amazing tracks, in my opinion. But hey, we all have our differences! My music taste is a lot different than most of the crowd here. My top ten albums would, undoubtedly, be listed in favor of my favorite band, The Beatles.

See, this is the hard part though. Putting The Beatles albums in order. Then I have to work my favorite Beatle, Lennon, into the mix. And then I have to work in my other favorite band, The Decemberists. I guess I would go with, for time's sake...(but this is by no means final)...

1. The Beatles: The Beatles (White Album)
2. John Lennon: Plastic Ono Band
3. The Beatles: Please Please Me
4. The Beatles: Help!
5. The Beatles: Revolver
6. The Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour
7. The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night
8. The Beatles: Rubber Soul
9. The Beatles: Abbey Road
10. The Decemberists: The King is Dead

That was hard. As you can see, I'm big Beatles/Lennon fan. :D The order will change throughout time!

AquaParade
04-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Top ten albums, huh? I won't pretend to have heard every great album there, but I will attempt to make my top ten list...

My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge
Harry Nilsson- Best of album :P
AFI - Sing the Sorrow
Slipknot - The Subliminal Verses
Cursive - Mama I'm Swollen
Elliott Smith - Either/or
Nirvana - Nevermind
Bright Eyes - The peoples Key
Bright Eyes - Cassadega
Elliott Smith - Figure 8

Abnormal Freak
04-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Nice to see someone else likes the Alternative album.
This is the album the hard core fans love. I like it best because I think it represents what the Pet Shop Boys sound like without album producers.

PSB B-sides are just...so good. Remarkably good. Like, "better than the A-sides" good.

That Bobby "O"-produced version of "A man could get arrested" is probably my favorite song of theirs. Them drums is heavy.

I've yet to really get into The Beatles. I did buy the mono box set, though, 'cos I've always hated the stereo mixes of numerous songs. Just gotta trudge through it. I find myself liking the earlier stuff more than the more experimental stuff.

...With the exception of Magical Mystery Tour. As of now, that's my favorite thing they've done. "I Am the Walrus"—so good.

RAM BAM
04-22-2011, 10:57 PM
PSB B-sides are just...so good. Remarkably good. Like, "better than the A-sides" good.

That Bobby "O"-produced version of "A man could get arrested" is probably my favorite song of theirs. Them drums is heavy.

I've yet to really get into The Beatles. I did buy the mono box set, though, 'cos I've always hated the stereo mixes of numerous songs. Just gotta trudge through it. I find myself liking the earlier stuff more than the more experimental stuff.

...With the exception of Magical Mystery Tour. As of now, that's my favorite thing they've done. "I Am the Walrus"—so good.

I like the Beatles mono mixes myself due to the fact I'm hard of hearing in one ear. It's a pain for me with the early stereo recordings because they made a point of placing the instruments either at either the very left or very right speaker.

PizzaPower
04-22-2011, 11:52 PM
in no order.

1. the used - In Love and Death
2. the used - self titled
3. the used - artwork
4. the used - lies for the lairs
5. the used - shallow believer
6. nirvana - nevermind
7.from first to last - heroine
8.Aiden - Disguises
9. rise against -all of them also
10. afi- everything from them also

Abnormal Freak
04-23-2011, 12:47 AM
I like the Beatles mono mixes myself due to the fact I'm hard of hearing in one ear. It's a pain for me with the early stereo recordings because they made a point of placing the instruments either at either the very left or very right speaker.

It's pretty nauseating to listen to on headphones. The stereo mixes were pretty much done because stereo was new. From what I've read, the band, engineers, and producers put more emphasis on the mono mixes (up until Yellow Submarine), so those are kind of "the originals" as far as I can tell. Whatever the case, they sound a whole lot better, in my opinion.

AT-Man
05-11-2011, 08:26 AM
This will be a difficult list. I'm gonna put one album from each band, because otherwise only a few bands would take all the places. Not in order.

Countess - The Shining Swords of Hate
Ildjarn - s/t
Paysage d'Hiver - s/t
Lady Gaga - Fame Monster 2CD
Prurient - And Still, Wanting
Spear of Longinus - Nada Brahma / Nazi Occult Metal
Summoning - Oath Bound
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Inquisition - Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer
The Berzerker - s/t

Let's see if the new Lady Gaga album will supersede Fame Monster, 2 songs out of 3 so far have been UH-MAYZING!

Sun Baked Records
05-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Mine, in no particular order are:

Mink Car - They Might be Giants
Joe's Garage - Frank Zappa
Excitable Boy - Warren Zevon
Running With Scissors - Weird Al
Class Clown - George Carlin
Abbey Road - The Beatles
History - Loudon Wainwright III
Smoking Monkey - Jonathan Coulton
The Point - Harry Nilsson
Pontiac - Lyle Lovett

Master Splinter
05-28-2011, 09:46 PM
I am not even sure if this is my top ten, but this is what I came up with in the last 20 mins of trying to narrow it down. I included some youtube videos of my favorite song off each album. Even that was hard to decide on these...

In no order:

Mr. Bungle - California (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO2bM4sgE1E) (video Goodbye Sober Day)
Tool - Aenima (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s57FtD2HKLw) (video Eulogy)
Eminem - The Eminem Show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED3G3Wn7z7k) (video My Dad's Gone Crazy)
Lovage - Lovage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwBRkN9__uc) (video Book of The Month)
Too Short - Get In Where You Fit In (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0--3evyMZg) (video I'm a Player)
Faith No More - Angel Dust (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIuOWv-mLP4) (video Midlife Crisis)
Korn - Korn (http://youtu.be/Fs_E9TP6cvE) (video Clown)
The Asteroid Galaxy Tour - Golden Age (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5h-LAvQDCQ) (video Golden Age)
Jason Mraz - Live at Java Joe's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EMLDJI0axA) (video The Dreamlife of Rand McNally)
2Pac - Me Against The World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN15haCIGAM) (video Death Around The Corner)

-ms

ghitgo
06-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Top 10 using only one album per artist:

1. Tommy heavenly6 - Heavy Starry Heavenly
2. the brilliant green - BLACKOUT
3. Tommy february6 - Tommy airline
4. Disclose - Apocalypse Of Death
5. Crude - Attitude
6. Crow - The Beating Of The Wings Of Destruction
7. Misfits - American Psycho
8. D.S.B - Kill The Phantom City