PDA

View Full Version : Love for the Macbook Pro

Donnie
04-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I just purchased the 15" I7. It's heaven at my fingertips.

P.S.- Is it just me, or have the forums been kinda slow these past few days? You know, with traffic, not loading time. I think with the Nick news finally settling in, people are just waiting for more.

04-23-2011, 08:02 PM
You overpaid for a portable computer. Just so you know.

And I haven't noticed any slowness of the forums lately. I'd check them network settings. Reset the cable modem and router.

Cure
04-23-2011, 09:57 PM
I've actually noticed the forums being quicker with the new server and whatnot.

Donnie
04-24-2011, 12:50 AM
You overpaid for a portable computer. Just so you know.

And I haven't noticed any slowness of the forums lately. I'd check them network settings. Reset the cable modem and router.

Overpaid? Everyone has their own opinions, but save your rudeness for somebody else. I happen to think the Macbook Pro is the most resourceful investment I've made in years. If you don't have something nice to say, why say it at all? :)

Perhaps I did not make myself clear in the first post, but I did not mean the forums were slow in loading time. I do not have to check my network settings. I agree that the forums themselves are running quite fast these days, and the new server works very well. I meant in the fact that there wasn't a whole ton going on since the Nick news...thought that was clear. My mistake.

Volvagia
04-24-2011, 05:41 AM
I'm jealous just so you know, I want one too esecially now when I cracked the screen frame on my current laptop.

Spitfire
04-24-2011, 05:57 AM
As a video editor I'm supposed to love Macs but I've never used one as powerful as a Windows system. Maybe if I could get one with the same RAM and processing power as my current system for the same cost I would change my mind. That'll never happen though because Apple products always cost twice what they're worth. For the price of my system I'd get a Mac that's half as powerful. Also basic Macs run AVID and Adobe products poorly, not enough power. FCP can go jump off a bridge.

Glad ya dig your laptop though. They come in handy. Hope yours doesn't have the plastic case cracking issue. I've seen two Mac laptops suffer from this.

04-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Overpaid? Everyone has their own opinions, but save your rudeness for somebody else. I happen to think the Macbook Pro is the most resourceful investment I've made in years. If you don't have something nice to say, why say it at all? :)

Okay, dad. I was just letting you know that you could have spent less on a machine just as powerful. That extra $500 is the Apple logo on your MBP. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. But hey, you can do whatever you want with your money.

And yes, the forums can get rather slow when there's no big TMNT news. It happens.

Donnie
04-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Volv, sorry to hear about the damage, how'd you crack it?

Glad ya dig your laptop though. They come in handy. Hope yours doesn't have the plastic case cracking issue. I've seen two Mac laptops suffer from this.

Thanks, so far so good (crosses fingers,) but I'm sure it'll be fine...I'm reaallyy gentle, and I've heard cracking is few and far between. Through BootCamp you can get Windows 7 for the Mac, and although that would allow the Mac to actually work faster...it's all about preference and what you're into I guess. What PC do you use, just out of curiosity?

Ai, thanks for explaining. I didn't mean to pull a dad. :) I did compare the Macbook to a lot of PC laptops and although I noticed there were many similarities, the Macbook beat it out in performance, graphics, and overall stamina. But that's just me.

04-24-2011, 10:33 AM
The big thing Mac has going for it is the BootCamp feature, giving the best of both worlds. They are also incredible for video rendering/editing. You won't have to worry about them breaking either as from what I can tell from friends who own Macs, they use quality parts and come with a good warranty in case some sh*t does go down.

So if those things are important to you, then you made the right choice...sort of. I prefer desktops, myself. Built from scratch, of course.

Donnie
04-24-2011, 11:53 AM
The big thing Mac has going for it is the BootCamp feature, giving the best of both worlds. They are also incredible for video rendering/editing. You won't have to worry about them breaking either as from what I can tell from friends who own Macs, they use quality parts and come with a good warranty in case some sh*t does go down.

So if those things are important to you, then you made the right choice...sort of. I prefer desktops, myself. Built from scratch, of course.

To each his own. :D

Yeah, the warranty and protection plan is great as well (at least the one that I purchased.) Quad-core processor, as much GB as my old bulky HP PC yet runs with the smoothest efficiency...I'm a super satisfied customer! Plus, I don't do gaming and I'm not into video or audio engineering. I'm just here for the glorious ride in the form of this fantastic piece of technology...luckily with an 18 month plan at no interest (while working a decent job,) I can also afford it. Huzzah!

Spitfire
04-24-2011, 12:58 PM
What PC do you use, just out of curiosity?
Windows 7 is sweet. I really dig it. Mac has a leg up in the OS department till that came out. Anyways I have an Alienware Area-51 750i . I got one after Dell bought them. They custom build these guys which is cool. I went for a hardcore gaming computer because what better then to render video then top of the line hardware? It works perfectly and once I got a version of Premiere that could handle full HD video this thing really started kicking ass.

I will probably kick it up a notch and max out my RAM at some point, maybe go for 16. As of right now though I don't need to. The new Premiere only needs 4 GIGs to run at maximum efficiency so I'm good to go. I also have a 4 TB RAID set up to back up my Data too and a few TB drives dedicated to just data storage.

Specs if anyone is interested. It was the **** a few years ago but probably somewhere in the middle now.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CugYHU5jbfU/ShuNdI8ElMI/AAAAAAAAAA4/vgyyTFkCgC0/s400/alienware-launches-the-mainstream-alienware-area-51-750i-gaming-desktop_large.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CugYHU5jbfU/ShuNdWIIeaI/AAAAAAAAABA/SwuLf61DzyA/s400/area-51-750i-3.jpg
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 12MB Cache 1333MHz FSB
Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black
AlienFX®: Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Plasma Purple
Alienware P2 Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® Approved Liquid Cooling
Power Supply: Alienware® 750 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Graphics Processor: Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250 -Superclocked Edition - SLI Enabled
Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 2048MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA® nForce 750i SLI Motherboard
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 250GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache
Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual-Layer Burner (DVD±RW)
Enthusiast Essentials: Single High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
Keyboard: Standard Keyboard - Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Standard Mouse - Standard Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel
Warranty: 3-Year AlienCare Onsite Service

They are also incredible for video rendering/editing.

They are far from incredible for video rendering or editing in my opinion. The only reason pros use Macs is they tend to have less OS errors and the OS doesn't need to be re-installed every once in awhile, like Windows old OS. But with Windows 7 that problem is gone. Also all those pro editors have their Macs hooked up to a render farm so that's the only reason they're so fast. Outside that environment all the ones I've encountered are horrible.

My school has an entire lab dedicated to top of the line Macs, no render farm though, and they all run editing programs like crap. Course the nail in the Final Cut coffin for me is the need to render anything before watching it. Not like Premiere where you can watch things without rendering, which is nice because if you dislike an effect you don't have to wait 15 minutes to find out.

Maybe the new Final Cut is better and fixed this issue but I've been using Premiere for 10 years so it's hard to break away from it. I bought Media Composer, AVID, and I practiced up on it but I just don't like it as much. I find much of it's layout unintuitive and round about. It's all about using the keyboard to edit but it's not as precise in my opinion.

Volvagia
04-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Volv, sorry to hear about the damage, how'd you crack it?
I dropped it one time too many XD It still works but the screen won't stay up without any kind of support. I'm a klutz :tlol:

Donnie
04-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Spitfire, very nice setup. For something as specific as you're doing (video editing) I would imagine it's all about preference.

By the way, I had a brain fart before and forgot to mention in my other post that my Macbook is enclosed by aluminum, so I shouldn't have a cracking issue, especially since I'm extremely anal when it comes to tech.

Spitfire
04-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Oh neat. Be careful with those though. Tiffany had one and it over heated a lot, and burned out a ram slot, because of the casing. I didn't know they made the aluminum ones anymore. Maybe they fixed the over heating issue. Check into it though cause you might want to get one of those chill mats.

Donnie
04-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Oh neat. Be careful with those though. Tiffany had one and it over heated a lot, and burned out a ram slot, because of the casing. I didn't know they made the aluminum ones anymore. Maybe they fixed the over heating issue. Check into it though cause you might want to get one of those chill mats.

I already have one. It's cooling the heat as we speak! :D