PDA

View Full Version : Things about the OT you didn't like

Logan
06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I think we can all agree that the original Turtles toon is a great show, probably one of the greatest cartoon shows ever. But I think we can also agree that there were things in it that made us want to turn the eye-holes in our bandanas to the back of our head sometimes.

For me?

*Mad Scientists
*Mobsters
*Too much Shredder and Krang
*Zach
*Breaking the fourth wall (Season 4 is notorious for this. It happens almost every episode at least once)
*Ridiculous science that even a five-year-old would know to be as such. Yes, it's a children's cartoon, but let's not insult a kid's intelligence.
*Turning Shredder from a credible villain to a whining, inept, guy wearing a suit of armor.
*The Crooked Ninja Turtle Gang. A huge instance of the creators insulting the intelligence of kids.

I'm sure I can think of more, and maybe I'll add some later, but what are your thoughts?

midknigt
06-01-2011, 11:13 AM
If I recall there was that bratty rich girl Michelangelo had a crush on after Kala was out. I really hated her for being a snotty stuck up brat and why Mikey liked her in the first place, I never understood! >_<

Redeemer
06-01-2011, 11:20 AM
For me it was
-Shredder being a complete idiot
-Overuse of slapstick
-Mikey not have nunchucks half of the series...

Jephael
06-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I didn't really care for Burne Thompson's attitude towards the Turtles, especially in season 3. Like in the episode "Sky Turtles" he just automatically assumed they were the ones screwing around with gravity.

Irma's constant pining for a boyfriend in season 3 also got on my nerves. One episode starts with her crying over some guy who dumped her, like in the very first 3 seconds of act 1!

FearlessLeader
06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
The only thing that annoyed me was the obvious animation mistakes like every episode. I can take the cheese because I look at the show as it's own universe so I except Shredder is silly and such, I just wish more care with taken with the actual product value!

LeoNerdo
06-01-2011, 11:37 AM
The only thing that stuck out to me was that re-occurring guy in season 4 who plays piano and sings those God-awful songs. His name escapes me at the moment, lol.

ssjup81
06-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Only things I can think of are the animation errors and when they messed up with the voices. How nuts is that? Oh, I also hated the fact that nothing was ever done with Mona Lisa's character.

Can't think of anything else that particularly bothered me about the OT series, 'cept for maybe the open-endedness of the whole Mikey x Kala thing.

Edit: Never mind, thought of something since going back to the OT series. Not enough Casey Jones! I always thought he was in a lot of episodes, and I remember always liking his character for being nuts. He should've been around more.
If I recall there was that bratty rich girl Michelangelo had a crush on after Kala was out. I really hated her for being a snotty stuck up brat and why Mikey liked her in the first place, I never understood! >_<He liked her because of the act she put on when in public. The caring young girl who did charity work, etc. His liking of her went away once he saw how much of a brat she was and seemed the liking returned, once she stopped acting like a brat and started to treat all of them nicer, so I can understand why Mikey probably liked her.The only thing that stuck out to me was that re-occurring guy in season 4 who plays piano and sings those God-awful songs. His name escapes me at the moment, lol.I think he was only in two or three episodes.

FearlessLeader
06-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Edit: Never mind, thought of something since going back to the OT series. Not enough Casey Jones! I always thought he was in a lot of episodes, and I remember always liking his character for being nuts. He should've been around more.

I second this!

Sage Ninja
06-01-2011, 12:04 PM
If I recall there was that bratty rich girl Michelangelo had a crush on after Kala was out. I really hated her for being a snotty stuck up brat and why Mikey liked her in the first place, I never understood! >_<

Buffy Shelhammer was the brats name. And when Michelangelo got to know her better even he called her a brat so he wasn't completely blind to her. She eventaully mellowed (somewhat) and Michelangelo came to respect her again but I'm not sure he ever crushed on her again...

my list:

the way the turtles gradually stopped fighting for real after about season two or three and it became more slap stick.

the fact that the turtles became waaay too dependant on Donatello to do anything

the way leonardo gradually became less leader-esch and commanding over time and more reactionary (until maybe the red sky seasons)

The way that Donatello seemed more like a leader than Leonardo at times

The fact that Splinter's predictiment wasn't delved in more than it was and his past with the foot clan

some events about the foot clan being inconsistant

I would have liked to see more back story with Splinter/Yoshi and Shredder and have that plot fleshed out some more. I know they hated each other but I would have liked to know why exactly

More on Krang's rule as a warlord in Demsion X and possiably how exactly he met up with Shredder

the fact that Shredder was so dependant on Krang. I love the shredder/krang dynamic, it's comedic gold but I kind of wish Shredder was a bit more independant and had his own flunkies outside the foot soldiers because they seemed more under Krangs contol than his for the most part. I kind of liked to see him have some under world influence.

I love April in the OT, she is my favorite April O'Neil character and personality wise but her lack of judgment annoyed me at times.

The way Michelangelo gradually became less and less like a capable fighter and ultimately became the least skilled ninja of the group. Thus bothered me so much because at the start of the series Michelangelo was a beast with a slight anger problem as shown in season one and even went toe-to-toe with leonardo in season two and holding his own. Also Michelangelo losing his nunchucks half way through the series.

side characters that only showed up once or twice or got no closure. Like Mondo Gecko. Only two appearances? Really? He was too cool to only have two episodes. Mona Lisa and the romantic tension between her and Raphel, we only saw her once and that sucked. Usagi never got any closure and we never know if he ever went home.

The rock soldiers and General Tragg where under used

some of the sci fi elements got tired after awhile

The way Carter sort of replaced April in the last two seasons. I could see how it made sense but I didn't like how it was handled.

ABrown
06-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Personally, I would've prefered that the whole series had been in the Red Sky style. I found those episodes to be far more enjoyable than seasons 1-7. And I realize that I'm in the minority as far as that goes.

Powder
06-01-2011, 02:32 PM
The only thing I don't like about the OT is that it ended!

gobo
06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
It should have been ten years of Season 1's tone. I hated that they kept lowering the bar in the following seasons. It needed a non-disposable sense of continuity. Instead, they catered to the laziest minds in the audience. :tgrumble:

ToTheNines
06-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Hated the alternate voice actors. That's about it.

I wish they would have smashed more Foot robots, but I normally wouldn't complain about it.

Revan
06-01-2011, 02:54 PM
The only thing that stuck out to me was that re-occurring guy in season 4 who plays piano and sings those God-awful songs. His name escapes me at the moment, lol.

I think he was only in two or three episodes.

His name was Howie and I hated him the first time I saw those episodes. Now, It's like watching a car accident. I cannot help watching. He is just outstanding.

There really wasn't much about the series I didn't like aside from how the turtles dynamic was portrayed as simply friends and students rather than a family. I never bothered me as a kid but I find it interesting now. Not that it mattered anyway, the shows audience didn't seem to care so it all worked out

Tuxedo Moroboshi
06-01-2011, 04:07 PM
It should have been ten years of Season 1's tone. I hated that they kept lowering the bar in the following seasons. It needed a non-disposable sense of continuity. Instead, they catered to the laziest minds in the audience. :tgrumble:

This. Just... totally this. My preference would still be more serious than that, but even if it's the exact same tone as the first season, it would still be a lot more enjoyable to me. My memories of watching the show as a kid were always about the action, which is why as a grown-up I'm so surprised at the insane amount of slapstick the show had.

Also, I must echo the sentiments of there not being anywhere near enough Casey. He should have been a main character, not a minor one.

gobo
06-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I must echo the sentiments of there not being anywhere near enough Casey. He should have been a main character, not a minor one.
I'm pretty sure he was the most frequent guest though, being in seven eps. Zach Moss was probably a close second for that title.

ToTheNines
06-01-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm pretty sure he was the most frequent guest though, being in seven eps. Zach Moss was probably a close second for that title.

Lol, was that really his last name?

gobo
06-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Well, he was based on the writer's son, Zach Moss. :P

midknigt
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
The only thing I don't like about the OT is that it ended!

^ This!

Also reminds me; after I watched Turtles Forever, I thought to myself, why don't they make a re-shelled version of the Old Toon? With the right people, it would be badass.

Jester
06-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Alternate voice actors. The worst example is Mutagen Monsters. Every time I hear Donatello say, "Those chemicals are mixing together to make mutagen." I cringe.

I also agree that Tragg was terribly underused.

cryan
06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
The only thing that annoyed me was the obvious animation mistakes like every episode. I can take the cheese because I look at the show as it's own universe so I except Shredder is silly and such, I just wish more care with taken with the actual product value!

Yeah and some epsidoes showed really jerky animations as well.That bothered me as well.I can deal with the cheese as well.A lot of series at that time had an element of cheesyness.

ssjup81
06-01-2011, 07:28 PM
I totally forgot to add something that was mentioned. Mikey's loss of his nunchucks. As a kid, this really really bugged me.Personally, I would've prefered that the whole series had been in the Red Sky style. I found those episodes to be far more enjoyable than seasons 1-7. And I realize that I'm in the minority as far as that goes.Red Sky eps are okay, but I really enjoyed the comedy of the first seven seasons. If anything, it would've been nice if they would've balanced it out more as far as the OT series was concerned.It should have been ten years of Season 1's tone. I hated that they kept lowering the bar in the following seasons. It needed a non-disposable sense of continuity. Instead, they catered to the laziest minds in the audience. :tgrumble:As Raph said in the first of that three-ep season finale where the Technodrome got power...okay, I can't quote it, but he did mention being on that "network" and how it has to be educational or something. I wonder if the show would've stayed more season 1-ish or even season 2-ish if it hadn't have been put on CBS Saturday mornings where it had to be toned down.

CyberCubed
06-01-2011, 07:36 PM
The original series is one of the few series I could have seen go on for as long as Simpsons and I would have never gotten tired of it. The bizarre plots could have lasted a lifetime.

ssjup81
06-02-2011, 02:26 AM
Okay, thought of something else, and these are my thoughts since going back to the series. I hate the fact that Bebop and Rocksteady weren't as threatening and dangerous like in season 1 and 2. Ep 2 is just awesome. Same with ep 5 of the pilot. Man, when Rocksteady pulled out that machine gun and open firing on them, I was like, "Whoa". They were slow (and by that, I mean speed, imo), but not stupid. I also like the fact that both didn't come across as scared of Shredder. That's a change I wish would've been different, looking back on it now. The turtles actually had to out do them because of Bebop and Rocksteady's strength. Oh, and I liked Rocksteady with the helmet thing he wore (which I'd forgotten until I saw it).

So yeah, there ya go. Wish they would've been more threatening as the show went on.

Even though Vernon was sneaky and stuff, I sorta wish that he would've been more cunning and less whiny and wimpy. I think it would've been more interesting for April if Vernon was just as good and determined as she was to get a story, even if it meant putting himself in danger, or maybe have at least one Vernon moment where he wasn't coming across as a jerk, and leaving April in danger. Would've been nice if he'd been shown trying to help her at least once instead of running off.

Something else I've liked since going back is early Leonardo. He seemed to "lead" more in the earlier eps, but I also heard that Leo's character was downplayed a lot for Mikey and Raph's characters. Seems Donny was the unofficial leader of the group as the show went on. So, I dislike the downplaying of Leo's character.

Oh, something I do hate about the OT series is the fact that watching this series, I'm sure most forgot that Shredder was actually supposed to have some type of ninja skills. Early eps, sure. Later eps, not really. Night of the Dark Turtle is a major insult (imo) to his character. Hm, you know, thinking about it now, I do dislike the fact that there wasn't more backstory as to why Saki disliked Yoshi so much in the first place. Why did he feel this need to stalk follow him all the way to NY? I'll never understand that one. At least Mirage made more sense as to why Shredder went to America (to avenge his brother), but Saki following Yoshi for the OT series seemed kinda pointless...

Tuxedo Moroboshi
06-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Okay, thought of something else, and these are my thoughts since going back to the series. I hate the fact that Bebop and Rocksteady weren't as threatening and dangerous like in season 1 and 2. Ep 2 is just awesome. Same with ep 5 of the pilot. Man, when Rocksteady pulled out that machine gun and open firing on them, I was like, "Whoa". They were slow (and by that, I mean speed, imo), but not stupid. I also like the fact that both didn't come across as scared of Shredder. That's a change I wish would've been different, looking back on it now. The turtles actually had to out do them because of Bebop and Rocksteady's strength. Oh, and I liked Rocksteady with the helmet thing he wore (which I'd forgotten until I saw it).

I couldn't agree more.

Something else I've liked since going back is early Leonardo. He seemed to "lead" more in the earlier eps, but I also heard that Leo's character was downplayed a lot for Mikey and Raph's characters. Seems Donny was the unofficial leader of the group as the show went on. So, I dislike the downplaying of Leo's character.

Ya, as the series continued, Leonardo seemed like somewhat of a pointless character. He had his moments every now and then, but for the most part, he was just... there. :ohwell:

the fact that Shredder was so dependant on Krang. I love the shredder/krang dynamic, it's comedic gold but I kind of wish Shredder was a bit more independant and had his own flunkies outside the foot soldiers because they seemed more under Krangs contol than his for the most part. I kind of liked to see him have some under world influence.

Oh, something I do hate about the OT series is the fact that watching this series, I'm sure most forgot that Shredder was actually supposed to have some type of ninja skills. Early eps, sure. Later eps, not really. Night of the Dark Turtle is a major insult (imo) to his character. Hm, you know, thinking about it now, I do dislike the fact that there wasn't more backstory as to why Saki disliked Yoshi so much in the first place. Why did he feel this need to stalk follow him all the way to NY? I'll never understand that one. At least Mirage made more sense as to why Shredder went to America (to avenge his brother), but Saki following Yoshi for the OT series seemed kinda pointless...

I would have liked this, too, as well as for Shredder to be more of a threat. It seems like pretty much any other universe BUT the old toon has Shredder as a scary, merciless ninja... and as much as I have always considered Shredder the main villain as a kid, looking back on the old toon, it seems more like Krang is the one in charge. :ohwell:

Icebot
06-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Well, he was based on the writer's son, Zach Moss. :P

I thought Zach was based on Zack Morris from Saved By The Bell. He looks a lot like him, only younger.

I wish Shredder and Krang could have been in Season 9 instead of Dregg hogging it all. I remember that summer I was so excited to see more new episodes of Turtles and curious of what happened to Shredder & Krang after Turtle Trek.

I was glad to see them in Season 10 but Dregg was too much of a main villain and I felt they could have been used more. I would have loved to see Dregg have the Technodrome repaired with his Microbots, he could have easily done it after he ended up there with Krang's body in the season finale. I wished the show continued like that from there.

Keldor1578
06-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I hated that the Fred Wolf Cartoon was more of a slapstick comedy than an action series. Shredder was turn into a comic relief villain in the Fred Wolf Cartoon.

Revan
06-02-2011, 01:58 PM
^ sad. that's what makes it good

gobo
06-02-2011, 02:59 PM
I thought Zach was based on Zack Morris from Saved By The Bell. He looks a lot like him, only younger.
I'm guessing that was just a punny joke, but see for yourself.
1) What was your favorite episode (if any)?
Not an easy question. You always remember your 'first time,' so I'd have to say that "The Fifth Turtle," being my first episode, is right up there. It also starred my two kids, Zach and Caitlin, and, years later, my son would meet someone who'd say "You're THAT Zach?"
I have the model sheets for the kids (all grown up now) in my office.
Click the arrow next to his name to read the original post.

cryan
06-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I really didn't like the fact that(this was also mentioned in another thread)some story ideas where never revisited.As well a certain characters(mona Lisa Comes to mind).I do agree abou the slapstick humor but as I said at the time that was common practice.Heck in 1990 GI Joe when DIC picked it up got slapstick as well.

Herald7
06-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Only thing I didn't like was the Red Sky episodes. Other than that, I love the OT, lol.

MrPliggins
06-03-2011, 05:41 AM
I never liked how Shredder treated Baxter after he got mutated. I always wanted to see him turn back into a human in his final episode, but it never happened.

Seeing Casey Jones' face would've been cool sometimes. Although it was funny when he applied for a job and was still wearing his mask. Also, Mondo Gecko moved into the sewers with them, but never appeared in any more episodes?? (well, one). Makes no sense.

Sage Ninja
06-04-2011, 08:42 AM
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Okay, thought of something else, and these are my thoughts since going back to the series. I hate the fact that Bebop and Rocksteady weren't as threatening and dangerous like in season 1 and 2. Ep 2 is just awesome. Same with ep 5 of the pilot. Man, when Rocksteady pulled out that machine gun and open firing on them, I was like, "Whoa". They were slow (and by that, I mean speed, imo), but not stupid. I also like the fact that both didn't come across as scared of Shredder. That's a change I wish would've been different, looking back on it now. The turtles actually had to out do them because of Bebop and Rocksteady's strength. Oh, and I liked Rocksteady with the helmet thing he wore (which I'd forgotten until I saw it).

So yeah, there ya go. Wish they would've been more threatening as the show went on.

I agree I really enjoyed the way Rocksteady and Bebop had some 'tude and an actual willingness to do violence at season one. I was most impressed with Rocksteady especially in his human form. He was one thugish brute! Going after April and threatening her like he did, he was really going to hit her with that chain. Go back to the very first episode of season one and listen to the exchange between April and him when he first threatenes her to "stick to reporting on fashion shows. I think he came across as genuanly gangster. And I enjoyed the way he gave lip to Shredder. I loved season one R+B.

Even though Vernon was sneaky and stuff, I sorta wish that he would've been more cunning and less whiny and wimpy. I think it would've been more interesting for April if Vernon was just as good and determined as she was to get a story, even if it meant putting himself in danger, or maybe have at least one Vernon moment where he wasn't coming across as a jerk, and leaving April in danger. Would've been nice if he'd been shown trying to help her at least once instead of running off.

I liked Vernon he was the perfect rival for April and awsome comic relief. But yeah, I think I would have liked it if they made him more on equal rival to April. It could have been nice to see somone actually give April a run for her money.

huh? where was this ever said they down played leonardo to give Rapahel and Michelangelo's characters more play?

rufus
06-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Not enough Casey Jones and some of the other villians didn't get to many episodes. Would have been nice had it remained in tone of season 1 for a few seasons.