PDA

View Full Version : Japanese punk/metal

ghitgo
06-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone else here is a fan of Japanese punk rock or heavy metal...

Powder
06-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Lip cream is pretty rad.

ghitgo
06-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Hell yeah! Lip cream is great! One of the best 80's punk bands. Probably my favorite Japanese bands from the 80's is Confuse and Gudon.

06-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm a fan of the usual big names. Dir en grey (they've been terrible lately), Pierrot, X JAPAN, Luna Sea, L'Arc en Ciel...the classics. I'm sort of worn out of Japanese music, to be honest.

Powder
06-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I forgot about Balzac, they're also kinda tight. Outside of them and Lip Cream I'm not all too familiar with the scene. Not in Japan at least.

ghitgo
06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Balzac is really good too. Some of the members of Lip Cream went on to form a band called Colored Rice Men.

Its the opposite for me. I've gotten tired of american music, while I love Japanese bands. Not so much rock or J-pop, though I do like a few.

lowbacca
06-01-2011, 04:33 PM
These are the bands i know and listen to:

Gallhammer - crust punk/black metal
Merzbow - noise/avant-garde
Bathtub Shitter - grindcore
Boris - experimental rock/sludge metal
No Rest For The Dead - stoner rock/grindcore

GK Punk
06-01-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm pretty picky with music. Anything that has anything to do with Tomoko Kawase I dig, I kind of like Scandal (But their last album did nothing for me.) Nightmare is pretty awesome, I liked Pierrot. I'm sure there is more that I'm blanking on at the moment.

ghitgo
06-01-2011, 04:58 PM
@lowbacca - Bathtub Shitter kicks ass

I like the punk band Nightmare not the Visual-kei one.
And as for Tommy, she is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And on the metal side:

Zombie Ritual (zombie obsessed death/thrash metal)
Coffins (death/sludge)
Volcano (speed/thrash metal I suppose?)
Sex Machineguns

joe-eyeball
06-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I like Melt Banana!

That Matt Guy
06-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Magane is a pretty good band from Japan. Asian bands trying to do black metal is usually a disaster but they do it well.

midknigt
06-01-2011, 06:28 PM
I love Electric Eel Shock. You can find their music on Youtube and I think they need more recognition. They're just awesome! :tgrin:

Powder
06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
They're not punk or metal.

Master Splinter
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I like Melt Banana!

I dig some Melt Banana.

-ms

midknigt
06-01-2011, 07:55 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Eel_Shock

Doesn't garage/metal count? :tlol:

Meh, maybe they changed their style over time? :tconfuse:

Still, they're pretty good.

06-01-2011, 08:09 PM

Putting too much emphasis on labels. What are you, 12?

Samhain
06-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Im a big fan of Make-Up. Got me into Saint Seiya.

Also a big fan of Masaaki Endoh. Love that dude.

midknigt
06-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Putting too much emphasis on labels. What are you, 12?

Well, I don't blame Powder, this thread IS about Japanese Punk/Metal after all.

Peanut
06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I used to listen to some really bad Japanese punk bands when I was into that kinda thing. Now if I'm listening to Japanese music it's most assuredly one of their billion insane Ska bands.

Powder
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Well, I don't blame Powder, this thread IS about Japanese Punk/Metal after all.

Thanks man.

It didn't sound like punk or metal to me, pardon... Obsessing over labels would be me asking why they don't have mohawks & leather jackets.

Now if I'm listening to Japanese music it's most assuredly one of their billion insane Ska bands.

Any suggestions?

Peanut
06-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Any suggestions?

Not really, because they're also generally kinda bad. I mostly just find a song from a band here or there. One of the only ones I actually own the albums of is one called Yum!Yum!Orange who does the greatest cover of "Don't Worry, Be Happy" I've ever heard.

Other than that, Tokyo Ska Parade and Ore Ska Band are good and The Scandals have their moments, but mostly they all drop in quality PRETTY substantially as you dig through their stuff.

midknigt
06-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks man.

It didn't sound like punk or metal to me, pardon... Obsessing over labels would be me asking why they don't have mohawks & leather jacket.

No need to thank me. It is a fact! :tcool:

True enough, makes me wonder why they were labeled as metal/garage/punk/rock. I guess they get their inspiration, a bit in each genre, even though it's not always obvious. I'm clueless to music genre since people tends to mix many genres in a tune. To me, as long as it sounds awesome to my ears, even if it's not pure metal or punk, I'll enjoy it.

Just how I am I guess! :tlol:

ghitgo
06-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Potshot is a pretty good Ska/punk band. Coquettish is a rather good ska influenced band as well.I also dig a few celtic punk bands, or Rustic Stomp as its also called: Royal Shamrock and The Cherry Coke$ come to mind.

And midknigt, I'm the same way. When you get in to the sub-sub genres such Blackened Crust, or Stenchcore, the lines between genres are blurred quite a bit.

ghitgo
06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Saw The Slowmotions, and D-Clone last night. Greatness all around...

Master Splinter
06-03-2011, 01:23 PM
EDIT by Ai: Nudity on a PG-13 board? I don't think so.

You really should "spoiler" that... The image is totally not safe for work...

-ms

Peanut
06-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Potshot is a pretty good Ska/punk band

My problem with Potshot is the singer, it just sounds like mumbled insanity.

ssjup81
06-04-2011, 11:54 PM
If it counts, I sorta like MAXIMUM THE HORMONE. My cousin really likes this group, though. He likes that group more than I do. Pretty cool. Also like other Japanese groups already mentioned to some extent, like say L'Arc (butI prefer early L'Arc) and Dir en Grey (well, a little bit). Can we name off Visual Kei stuff? Does that count?

GK Punk
06-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Maximum the Hormone is so rad haha. I love them.

ghitgo
06-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah, Visual-Kei counts I suppose. Some of it is kinda punk/metal. I don't really like any of it though.
Friday night I saw the garage rock/punk band Guitar Wolf. Saturday, I saw the first US show and the last show ever by Kriegshög. Both amazing bands.

Wildgoose
06-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Mmmm, nice to see other people favouring the J-punck/metal.
As for me...I also like the j-pop/rock but about what concerns the punck/metal, I go for Maximum the Hormone, Gazette, Plastic Tree and SCANDAL mostly

cowabunga14
08-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Guitar Wolf's already been mentioned, but I thought I'd say that I enjoy that band as well.

Abnormal Freak
08-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Favorite Japanese metal band is Sigh. Love the album Imaginary Sonicscape most of all; probably my favorite metal album alongside Solefald's In Harmonia Universali.