PDA

View Full Version : Weird Collections

Jester
10-16-2011, 10:41 AM
I thought I'd start a thread for the bizarre things that we collect, not exactly sure why though...

I try to collect screener copies of movies, thing that flat say "Promotional Use Only. DO NOT SALE" right on them. My wife and I have a few records like that was well. I love the irony of owning something that I was told couldn't be resold. It's a small collection, and many of the titles are not movies I'd seek out (recently bought the Patrick Stewart Couldn't Even Save This Movie, Masterminds for $1.25) but it's the "forbidden fruit" aspect that gets me. :D

What about you? What oddities do you collect?

Slap-Happy
10-16-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't have any weird collections, but I do have a screener copy of Secret of the Ooze.

Jester
10-16-2011, 12:34 PM
That is awesome! If you ever wanna get rid of it...

ToTheNines
10-16-2011, 02:12 PM
I have a pretty huge amount of Christmas related VHS tapes and DVD's. I try to watch them all during December, but I have so many that I have to skip a few each year lol.

rufus
10-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Every paper from when I was Highschool.

ToSte
10-18-2011, 07:11 PM
I have a large collection of finger/toenails. Most of which I've produced myself!

Koschei
10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Not sure if anything is weird?
But other than figures and comics:
Laser Disc
Vinyl (records)
Stickers

Any piece of promo with good/inspirational design. Like, clothing hang tags, post cards, promo cards/posters/fliers, boxes, etc.

Odd things that could come to later use for crafts. I'm a hoarder of small junk.

TheCanadiandrome
10-20-2011, 12:19 AM
I don't have any weird collections unless stuffed animals count

pannoni1
11-10-2011, 10:09 AM
I like to collect certain things, but besides the usual coins/video games/sports cards/vinyl records, I also have:

-Over 600 National Geograpic magazines from 1918 to 2008
-Over 600 TV Guide issues from 1968 to 1991
-Every Britannica encyclopedia yearbook from 1942 to 2005, plus 1940
-Some pogs that I haven't purchased since 1996
-A few recorded tapes of the '80s game show "Press Your Luck"
-Several vintage college yearbooks from the 1970s
-A few 8-track tapes

And to the original poster that said "Promotional Only. Do not sale", as similar case exists for collecting music as well (though I often prefer for 45 singles, the stock copy as many promo 45's have only the A side on both sides.

ClearStar
11-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Some of mine no so much weird but perhaps a weird combination
-coca cola
- cameras
- penny collection
- watches
- M.A.S.K.
- Centurions </----- awesome
- Transformers
- Pogs
- 3D puzzles
- Legos
- ez bake oven
- Lite Brite
- Xmen Cards
- Baseball Cards
- Hotwheels
- Spawn Figures
- N64 I have every game ever made

Ohh also forgot my animal skull heads... Im learning to do exploded skulls and mounts

I think I need to stop collecting so much crap most of it gets listed , wrapped, and stored away.

Jester
11-20-2011, 10:17 PM
And to the original poster that said "Promotional Only. Do not sale", as similar case exists for collecting music as well (though I often prefer for 45 singles, the stock copy as many promo 45's have only the A side on both sides.
My wife has a Who LP that was Promotional Use Only. :D

ToTheNines
12-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I have a pretty huge amount of Christmas related VHS tapes and DVD's. I try to watch them all during December, but I have so many that I have to skip a few each year lol.

Here's most of my stuff, I have some more down stairs.

My book case
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/craig-5/IMG_1119.jpg

My Chicago shelf
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/craig-5/IMG_1122.jpg

My dresser
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/craig-5/IMG_1121.jpg

DC comics/TV show case plus random shelf
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/craig-5/IMG_1120.jpg

Normally my baseball shelf
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/craig-5/IMG_1124.jpg

Storm Eagle
12-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I like to collect CDs with video game music on them, even though I haven't acquired any since 2007. There was that Zelda symphony CD that came with The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword however, but that's just Zelda music in orchestral form.

MrPliggins
12-18-2011, 11:37 PM
I have a large movie ticket stub collection. I have them as far back as "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey". And yeah, I even have "TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze".

wilddiverse
12-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Cookbooks, the older the better-- and the best are ones that were put together as a fundraiser for a local cause or church, etc:
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9237/cookbook.jpg
And if it has a miscellaneous section, all the better-- have one with a war-time section with recipes for coffee substitutes/ration-stretching that use toasted cornmeal or burnt brown sugar.

Also helps that these tend to be plentiful in thrift stores for about a buck each.

That Matt Guy
12-21-2011, 03:56 AM
I don't think anything mentioned in this thread is particularly weird. There's some truly weird collections on youtube however, some dude who collects diapers and another who collects radioactive material. Yep.

mysterycolor
12-21-2011, 05:51 AM
my collection of leatherface dolls always gets a strange look when someone enters my office for the first time...
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6073/6129384229_a791453483_m.jpg

AT-Man
12-21-2011, 07:42 AM
!!!! TURTLE DILDOS !!!!

Juuuuust kidding.... I collect nothing weird, I only buy music on vinyl or tape that isn't available on CD.

I do have moogle, cactuar and tonberry plush toys.

And I don't collect Carl Barks' Disney comics anymore since I bought a collection that includes them all.

turtles_kolektor
12-30-2011, 06:42 PM
I collect old VHS Tapes with cartoons and horror flicks (flick is a word to describe a movie right?) :)

Chipzard
01-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Through out the years, I had so many different kinds of collections, they come and gone, some stay, few are making a comeback though. Here is a list of the collections I had through out the years, enjoy!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (now it's slowly building :tsmile:up again, mostly in comic book forms)
Pokemon (still got those magna comic books though, and bunch of binders of old Pokemon Cards, and some old video games)
Beanie Babies (it stopped now once again)
Garfield
Pluto
Yoshi
Sonic the Hedgehog (now in just comic book forms also)
Digimon
Power Ranger
Slug Bug Cars (still around)
Hotwheel Cars (sadly, no matter how hard I try to collect them, I keep losing interest on them)
Dragons (still around)
Seals n Sea Lions (my most widespread, popular collection, still going strong though)
Coins (slow now, but might build again, goody)
Comic Books (recent new addition of new kinds of collections, some of my past favorites are now in comic book forms like TMNT, Pokemon, Sonic the Hedgehog, to name a few)
Books (Animals, Harry Potter, Novel, Warrior Cats, and so on!)
Video Games (had different kinds of video games: Sega, Playstation, Gamecube, GBA and GBA SP, NDS, NDS Lite, Wii, and also NDS XL too! right now, just NDS XL and Wii only)
Star Wars (mostly Jar Jar Binks, when he was 1 of my favorite characters back then
Stuffed Animals (outgrew them, got tired of them overcrowding my room, and other reasons, so I had to get rid of them)
Transformers (I tried to go back, but oy peer pressure and other reasons made me quit)
Owl (I did try out for lil bit, but never worked out cuz, my other collections took over, and it just died out anyway)
Velociraptors and Komodo Dragons (again I tried but, no room and others collections once again took over, made them extinct ya know)
KeyChains (still doing good, got lotta of them anyway)

Digital Ghost
01-08-2012, 10:01 PM
I love the Leatherface collection, mystery color!!! :D

mysterycolor
01-27-2012, 03:54 AM
I love the Leatherface collection, mystery color!!! :D
thanks man :) not many people seem to enjoy Texas Chainsaw Massacre the way i do... i am really hoping that there will be some new ones when TCM 3-D comes out :)

Villain
01-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Not exactly weird, but I have a fairly decent Futurama collection. These are the Toynami action figures I have:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/fotane/futfigs1.png

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/fotane/futfigs2.png

I also have some of the MAC figures, the I-men, alot of the comics (I'm trying to get all of the comics) and the seasons on DVD. Unfortunately I haven't got them out on display, they're still all boxed up as I moved house recently, I got a picture of my Toynami ones before I packed them away.

mysterycolor
01-27-2012, 04:30 PM
very nice dude!

Villain
01-27-2012, 04:56 PM
very nice dude!

Thanks, I like the look of your Leatherface collection too 8)

I'll throw up some pics of my Terminator collection too, which is my second main collection after Futurama.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/fotane/neca-t2.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/fotane/neca-t1.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/fotane/mcf-t2-b.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/fotane/t3-figs.jpg

tengushredder
01-27-2012, 05:12 PM
not weird bau i have these from extreme dinosaurs

Chipzard
01-29-2012, 05:11 PM
I used to love watching the Simpsons and Futurama before also :tgrin:

mysterycolor
01-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Thanks, I like the look of your Leatherface collection too 8)

I'll throw up some pics of my Terminator collection too, which is my second main collection after Futurama.

that's a lot of MOC Terminator! i did not have the restraint to keep my Leatherface figures in the package, though i saved the boxes for some of the older ones (like the "talking" plush)... even though they are worth less out of the package... i love being able to display them my way- thanks for the leatherface ♥

Cure
01-30-2012, 11:05 AM
I have a Hess truck for every year since I was born. True story.

01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
I've recently started collecting comic books thanks to the DC reboot, but that's not really weird. I did used to collect Japanese manga, but I don't have room for them all anymore. I think I have over 500 volumes. I've read maybe 10 of them. :(

clanmalkav
02-07-2012, 10:11 PM
A bit of this and a bit of that. Non-sport cards, comics, toys, video games, books, movie posters, manga, coins, and anything else that catches my eye. I'm still trying to organize everything. :ohwell:

Villain
02-10-2012, 11:05 AM
A bit of this and a bit of that. Non-sport cards, comics, toys, video games, books, movie posters, manga, coins, and anything else that catches my eye. I'm still trying to organize everything. :ohwell:

Looks like a big collection! Orginization is my problem too, I have this perfect layout in my head of how I want all my collectables set up, but mine are all packed away in boxes right now.

rufus
02-10-2012, 07:48 PM
I have a Hess truck for every year since I was born. True story.

Cool to see that someone else collects the Hess Trucks.

TheCanadiandrome
02-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Hey Villain, do u have any Kenner Terminator Figures? The ones u have are awesome and I love the Futurama Figures! Futurama is awesome! Can't wait til the new season

Villain
02-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey Villain, do u have any Kenner Terminator Figures? The ones u have are awesome and I love the Futurama Figures! Futurama is awesome! Can't wait til the new season

Sadly I don't. I looked into maybe starting to collect them, but the prices I saw on ebay scared me off for the size and type of figures they are.

And thank you 8) I adore Futurama and can't wait till the new season either. I know the last season had it's critics for not being as good as it used to be but I still enjoyed it.

TheCanadiandrome
02-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Sadly I don't. I looked into maybe starting to collect them, but the prices I saw on ebay scared me off for the size and type of figures they are.

And thank you 8) I adore Futurama and can't wait till the new season either. I know the last season had it's critics for not being as good as it used to be but I still enjoyed it.

For sure :tcool:

Oculus Orbus
02-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't think it's too weird, but I collect skate decks. Most of them are brand new, but I never get rid of the ones I break while skating. I've been skateboarding for nearly twenty years now, so I have a good bunch of them.

JaffleMan
03-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Absolutely in love with history and collect items that appeal to me, mostly millitaria.

Highlights would be an Australian light horse Flask 100% intact with its leather strap and weaving dated 1914. Could not believe someone sold it at a garage sale for a mere $2... it was almost shameful.

Also almost have a complete RAAF WWII pilots uniform... only now need the jacket (also the most expensive part) which I missed out on one at a swapmeet only by a minute. Shattered.

An unused 1939 Polish Gas mask complete with instructions. If you know your basic history you could see the dark sense of humour in it. Funnier still is they manufactured the cannister peg a millimetre too large so it would have been completely useless on the battlefield not that it would have got that much use within a month.

Most random piece took me years to identify. Had a US Air force helmet missing a face plate of some sort with deteriorating latex lining and a really old mic and cabling. Wasn't until I saw some weird article on early space exploration I saw one of the first US Astronauts wearing a white one.... mine is green. After further research I found they were also used for high altitude aircraft and that a few were sold to the public before the air force decided it was a bad idea (back in the 60's) and recalled them. Mine does not match the descriptions of the ones sold and also the fact it showed up in the wrong country further adds to the mystery.

That Matt Guy
04-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Absolutely in love with history and collect items that appeal to me, mostly millitaria.

I have tons of this kind of stuff. I used to collect a lot of German militaria but sold it all off and started collecting Japanese a couple of years ago.

Plasticplayhouse
04-12-2012, 07:21 AM
i collect magnets from places/states/countries i've been. probably getting close to 125 by now. tied to that...i also collect states in kinda sorta way. i've been to 42 of the 50 states. and by that driving through doesnt count. in order for a state to count, i need to do something of substance or spend at lease 48 hours there.

for a while i collected soil from the places i've been. i have volcanic ash from Mt. St. Hellens in WA, sand from the Oregon Dunes, sand/ash from Crator Lake OR, Tombstone AZ, Grand Canyon AZ, the Jersey shore NJ, Arches National Park UT, Bryce Canyon UT, Redwood Forest CA, Yellow Stone Park WY, Seattle WA, Plymouth MA, a piece of meteorite from the crator in AZ, beach sand from Pensacola FL, Garden of the Gods CO, and a bunch of other places.

Digital Ghost
04-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Awesome Terminator collection Villain! I actually have most of those myself... minus a couple T-1000's and the Cyberdyne Showdown figure, which is hard to find nowadays. I'd only want the gun from it anyways. :P
Come to think of it, I even have about 20 Movie Maniacs Endoskeletons stored away from way back when they were popular. Out of all the Endoskeleton's that've been released, it remains my favorite, aside from the inaccurate plasma gun.

mysterycolor
04-18-2012, 02:27 AM
i collect magnets from places/states/countries i've been. probably getting close to 125 by now. tied to that...i also collect states in kinda sorta way. i've been to 42 of the 50 states. and by that driving through doesnt count. in order for a state to count, i need to do something of substance or spend at lease 48 hours there.

for a while i collected soil from the places i've been. i have volcanic ash from Mt. St. Hellens in WA, sand from the Oregon Dunes, sand/ash from Crator Lake OR, Tombstone AZ, Grand Canyon AZ, the Jersey shore NJ, Arches National Park UT, Bryce Canyon UT, Redwood Forest CA, Yellow Stone Park WY, Seattle WA, Plymouth MA, a piece of meteorite from the crator in AZ, beach sand from Pensacola FL, Garden of the Gods CO, and a bunch of other places.
a magnet collection- now that is an oldie, but a goodie! makes me picture my grandma's refrigerator when i was little... it was covered in souvenir magnets :)

Stingray69
04-25-2012, 06:02 PM
I collect old kool aid flavors that are not available any more.

zkarlette
04-25-2012, 06:16 PM
I collect old kool aid flavors that are not available any more.

Really?.. wow, I had never heard this before.
You better have one of those kook-aid man pitchers.:P

I used to collect Madame Alexander dolls , but now they are just stored.

SHADOW-MOSES
04-25-2012, 09:03 PM
I use to save kool aid points, i had like 1600 from years of saving them, then i realized they quit taking them, it was pretty lame

Stingray69
04-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Really?.. wow, I had never heard this before.
You better have one of those kook-aid man pitchers.:P

I used to collect Madame Alexander dolls , but now they are just stored.

Nope dont have the pitcher but I do have some of these glasses that are from kool aid.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/superman15857/IMG_2429.jpg

We have a large collection of barbie dolls, my mom used to collect them before she passed away. But I havent really added to it since then.

Jester
04-26-2012, 05:50 PM
We used to have the clear pitcher and cups, but they are long gone. :(

Leonardo87
04-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I collect anything with The Undertaker from WWE/F; from posters, toys, shirts, video games, and VHS/DVD. Same goes with The Joker as well.

zkarlette
04-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Nope dont have the pitcher but I do have some of these glasses that are from kool aid.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/superman15857/IMG_2429.jpg

We have a large collection of barbie dolls, my mom used to collect them before she passed away. But I havent really added to it since then.

Those glasses are really cool !

I'm really sorry about your mom tho' . But I bet she is really glad you're taking care of her collection for her. :)

mysterycolor
04-28-2012, 01:26 AM
just in case you are interested in the Pitcher... http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SMILEY-FACE-2-QT-KOOL-AID-PITCHER-AND-SMILEY-FACE-MUG-/350559705120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519efc9820#ht_500wt_1413

Stingray69
04-29-2012, 01:34 PM
I do need one of those but I want a blue one or red.

Wildgoose
04-29-2012, 01:52 PM
hmmm...weird collections huh?
I use to collect interesting stuff (in my opion at least) that I find in magazines, from images to reports and interviews. I used to had a big box stuffed till the lid with them but recently I made a little "spring cleaning" and get rid off much of it.

I also like to collect cards and I used to collect stickers when I was a kid.

Stingray69
04-29-2012, 08:24 PM
I think every kid in the 80's collected stickers. So that's not wierd.

mysterycolor
04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I think every kid in the 80's collected stickers. So that's not wierd.
agreed- my friends and i all had sticker collections

shezcrafti
04-30-2012, 11:16 AM

I have the same type of collection, except for Halloween. If there was ever a rare Halloween gem such as those one-off made for TV specials that nobody remembers, a single Halloween-themed episode of an old TV show, or low-budget Halloween kid movies, odds are I have it on DVD!

Oh, and being a gamer I also have an extensive collection of retro games and hardware. The weird part: the largest part of my collection is Sega CD, a largely ignored/under appreciated system.

zkarlette
04-30-2012, 03:46 PM
I bet you are a dreamcast fan too :P

I'm guessing you probably own those Halloween movies with Judith hoag in them.:)

shezcrafti
04-30-2012, 03:54 PM
I am indeed a Dreamcast and Saturn fan too. :twink:

I do have the Halloweentown movies, but I don't care for them much, even being a Judith Hoag fan. Some of my favorites are Witch's Night Out, The Halloween Tree, Lady in White, Midnight Hour, The Worst Witch (such an awesomely bad movie, plus Tim Curry & Fairuza Balk!!), The Legend of Ichabod & Mr. Toad (aka Disney's Sleepy Hollow), & the Roseanne Halloween episode compliation DVD.

ETA: The Holy Grail of Halloween DVDs for me would be Disney's Halloween Treat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_Halloween_Treat), but alas it has never been released on DVD much to the dismay of many Disney collectors. I do have a bootleg of it, but the quality is very poor. There are even petitions out there by fans begging for this thing to get a proper DVD release.

zkarlette
04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Talking about fairuza balk made me remember about " return to oz" that movie was considered by me as Halloween grade creepy ...

shezcrafti
04-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Talking about fairuza balk made me remember about " return to oz" that movie was considered by me as Halloween grade creepy ...

I love Return to Oz. :tsmile: One of my favorite fantasy films of the '80s. Super dark & borderline scary for a kid's movie.

Stingray69
05-01-2012, 07:57 PM
What about jaguar? You a fan of that system?

I've never heard of Halloween treat before but now I want to see it.

shezcrafti
05-01-2012, 08:11 PM
What about jaguar? You a fan of that system?

I've never heard of Halloween treat before but now I want to see it.

I have a Jaguar but not many games for it. It's a system I didn't grow up with like the Saturn but rather one I acquired later.

Just so you know, there are 2 versions of Disney's Halloween Treat: the original, which is narrated by a talking animated pumpkin, and a longer, recut version narrated by The Magic Mirror, a live-action talking head. The Magic Mirror version is superior to the Pumpkin version, imo, and a little darker & scarier. It is possible to buy a VHS of the Pumpkin version, but that's all you can get (officially, anyway).

Someone on YouTube was awesome enough to remaster the original Pumpkin version, which you can watch here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASuuZejf8VE). It's in 7 parts. I've been thinking about begging him to do the Magic Mirror version. :trazz:

Stingray69
05-01-2012, 08:16 PM
My uncle has a jaguar to, I'm pretty sure theres only a few games for it any ways.

I'm gonna have to watch that.

TheCanadiandrome
05-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Oh, and being a gamer I also have an extensive collection of retro games and hardware. The weird part: the largest part of my collection is Sega CD, a largely ignored/under appreciated system.

yeah i've been collecting the same

joetheripper
06-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Blu-ray DvD's, Autographed sports memorabilla (mainly hockey) TMNT 80's-early 90's. and change... lol

mysterycolor
06-17-2012, 07:13 PM
now i am thinking i might like to re-watch that :)

AT-Man
06-29-2012, 09:53 AM
I just received Sssqueeze, Tung Lashor, Mantenna, Snout Spout, Rio Blast & Clamp Champ NECA stactions. My word, they are beautiful!

mysterycolor
06-29-2012, 06:32 PM
I just received Sssqueeze, Tung Lashor, Mantenna, Snout Spout, Rio Blast & Clamp Champ NECA stactions. My word, they are beautiful!
sssqueeze and snout spout are my favs- i even love the old school action figures! nice pick ups!

brianforedteam
07-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Vinyl records and tattoos (although tattoos seem to be the norm nowadays) I did collect vintage bird cages with my ex girl friend when she was my current girl friend

TheCanadiandrome
07-24-2012, 10:42 PM
lately it's been t-shirts! can't stop getting new t-shirts when i go on holidays. shirts from tourist places and restaurants

mysterycolor
08-31-2012, 12:38 AM
lately it's been t-shirts! can't stop getting new t-shirts when i go on holidays. shirts from tourist places and restaurants
teefury kills me

Slade
10-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Not so much a weird collection, but I have a small size Air Jordan Collection. I collect TV show seasons that I watch too. Working on Boy Meets World right now.

Turtle Freak88
01-15-2013, 06:04 AM
im a sucker for card games! I also collect anything Darth Maul!

Pterobat
01-15-2013, 07:04 PM
The weirdest thing about my "collection" is that when it comes to merchandise/collectables, I almost never have, or want, a complete set of anything. I usually only buy my most favourite characters/creatures and leave the rest. If I'm into something and there's toys for it, chances are I'll buy it at some point

One of the few exceptions was the American 10th Anniversary Beast Wars series, of which I own every figure and all their things--but then there was a Japanese line for the same thing, so you can argue that my "collection" isn't exactly complete at all.

I also own a complete set of the cloth-outfited Real Ghostbusters figures, including the Janine/Samhain set, but that's only because I found the last two on discount at Winner's.

Probably the quirkiest thing I collect is pterosaur/pterodactyl stuff. I used to buy anything with a prehistoric flying reptile on it, and there's a lot more than you'd think, especially when you start looking at sets where a pterosaur is part of a larger group with dinosaurs.

However, I'm trying to tone down on it, sticking just with things that stand out, and thinking of getting rid of some of my things. Most of them are just plastic junk, with my being unable to afford expensive statues or fossil replicas.

Orisue
01-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Not so much a weird collection, but I have a small size Air Jordan Collection. I collect TV show seasons that I watch too. Working on Boy Meets World right now.

Thats awesome, i've always wanted to get into collecting some jordans just my favorite ones not all of them. They're just so expensive though:/ when the time is right maybe I can start!