PDA

View Full Version : TMNT cartoons in DVD for dummies

Andrew NDB
01-05-2012, 10:43 PM
A thread title like that is sure to attract ire, but I mean it only in the sense of things like, "Windows for Dummies" and such.

I mean to ask... what is the current state of the union as far as the DVD/blu-ray releases of the cartoons -- both Fred Wolf and 4Kids?

I know the Fred Wolf official releases are pretty far along via Lion's Gate... how far are they and what's the roadmap to completion (or is there one)?

Around the time the last movie dropped (yeah, ker-plunk) I spent about $200 buying the individual disc 4Kids series on DVD before they did they big box-sets and, #1) Got pissed at the quality and stopped watching almost immediately after "Return to New York" (and never has a home for quotation marks ever seemed so appropriate, IMO), and #2) Got pissed at feeling like the price point for those individual discs vs. actual content was a huge ripoff. Though I did enjoy the Peter Laird behind-the-scenes videos. Coming to the point: the more recent box sets of the 4Kids cartoons they started doing after they stopped screwing the pooch with the individual disc releases... how far along are they, are they complete (if not, is there a roadmap to completion?), and do they include all the Peter Laird stuff and all that?

CyberCubed
01-05-2012, 10:55 PM
The Fred Wolf series is almost finished. Seasons 1-9 are on DVD with only Season 10 waiting to be released. It'll probably come out later this year though.

There are two skipped episodes though, "Planet of the Turtleoids" and "Once upon a time machine," but it seems like nothing can be done as Lionsgate ignores all notices to fix this.

The 4kids series DVD releases are a total mess. I think most are holding out for Nick to do proper DVD boxsets of them. Not to mention Turtles Forever was only released uncut internationally, and so far it hasn't had a U.S. release.

As for Blu-ray, the only TMNT on Blu-ray are the 4 movies in a boxset.

Andrew NDB
01-05-2012, 11:02 PM
The 4kids series DVD releases are a total mess.

Can you elaborate?

CyberCubed
01-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Can you elaborate?

The episodes are all out of order by the time you get to Season 3. You won't know which episode to watch next unless you have an episode list handy, and even then you have to randomly switch DVDs just to find the next ep. Its a hassle.

The "half season sets" that were meant to replace those original out-of-order DVDs were canceled after Season 2.

This is why as I said many are hoping Nick does proper boxsets of this series since they now own the 4kids series. Shout! Entertainment releases a lot of old Nick properties on DVD, people are hoping they do TMNT.

Andrew NDB
01-05-2012, 11:36 PM
The episodes are all out of order by the time you get to Season 3. You won't know which episode to watch next unless you have an episode list handy, and even then you have to randomly switch DVDs just to find the next ep. Its a hassle.

Did they at least get to the end of the series?

CyberCubed
01-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Did they at least get to the end of the series?

Every episode is on DVD. The last season "Back to the Sewers" was only released in Australia though. But if you have a region free player it doesn't matter.

Really the only way to watch all this properly is print out an episode guide and look at all the episode titles on the DVDs and map your way through it. Its ridiculous really.

I bought all the DVDs when they originally came out and I regret having so many different discs sitting on my shelf in mixed up order. I'd gladly double dip for proper boxsets if Nick would do it.

Coola Yagami
01-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Yeah, it all got out or order after the second season or so. They started going into themes and such like 'Mutants and Monsters' and 'Way of the Warrior' skipping out any non-related episode in between... and then we have stuff like Michealangelo's Christmas special that was (I think) the only way to have that episode on DVD. yeah, you get THAT episode.. but then you have the 3 first episodes (again) added there as well...

gobo
01-05-2012, 11:58 PM
- You can find the best 4KIDS DVD/ep reference here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_(2003)_DVD_releases).

- But, wait... Isn't that Wiki? :o Wiki never gets a damn thing right. :lol:

- >_< Don't be such a drama queen, hypothetical internerd. :roll:

ZariusTwo
01-06-2012, 05:39 AM
James "Angry Video Game Nerd" Rolfe made a video on the Turtles DVD mess

-4CLRoGZyV0