PDA

View Full Version : Toy Gimmicks

Foot Soldier Clang
02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
With the awesome new figure line coming at us, what gimmicks do you hope for down the line? Personally, I'm a sucker for spring loaded weapons (like the kind you see in Transformer toys with the clear, light-piping missles), and glow-in-the-dark stuff (like the items and paint apps you see in the Toxic Crusaders line).

And, since TMNT toys have a huge selection of gimmicks to choose from, are there any you think would to see again?

In the thread "What's the worst toy in playmates history? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?p=913673#post913673)", everyone is bringing up figures that failed because of a particular gimmick, but if done right some of them could be amazing. It would be great to have a Mutatin' April who wasn't a terrible figure since the idea behind the figure is so fun.

Still, I personally would like to see spring loaded weapons, especially for the Foot Soldiers.

So what do you guys think? Spring loaded weapons, glow-in-the-dark features and accessories, color-changing paint apps, transforming figures; any of this deserve a try or retry?

Powder
02-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Well I can tell you what I don't want more of, & that's the mutatin' turtles. I'm glad they're bringing Storage Shells back, liked those a lot.

Foot Soldier Clang
02-16-2012, 02:22 PM
The Mutations line is a mixed bag. Most of the villains are great, but all of the heroes are terrible. I wouldn't mind if Playmates revisted the idea instead of just using the same old molds again for a third time :trolleye:

Jester
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
They have done it 3 times. The WB movie line had Mutation figures, too. I have Raph.

Foot Soldier Clang
02-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Were the molds any different than the original Mutatin' Turtles? I remember hating them because they're back legs became the front legs... somehow.

joe-eyeball
02-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Well I can tell you what I don't want more of, & that's the mutatin' turtles. I'm glad they're bringing Storage Shells back, liked those a lot.

Agreed! The mutating turtles are REALLY TIRED and so are the ninja action figures. I never really liked those. I hope they don't bring those back.

nofuture4u
02-16-2012, 08:51 PM
I don't know if it's a gimmick or not, but I hope they make highly articulated figures (20+ points)
What I hope they don't do is use anything you suggested, no offense meant. Wind up crap, terrible mutating things, glow in the dark, it's all kind of cheesy. I'd like it if they stuck to only making figures of things actually featured in the show or film.

I gotta ask a question to everyone. Now this is from your current adult mind, not what you would have done as a kid. All these things like mutating, robot suits and whatnot, do you buy it because you actually like the figure or is it just because it's turtles and you gotta catch 'em all syndrome? I had hundreds of figures for awhile and I realized that most of them I only had becasue I had to have them all, not because I actually liked any of them. I did have some of the gimmick and costume guys as a kid, but the only figures that really hold any sentiment are the early ones, the ones I first got (88-90). They just seemed really special then, before we were over saturated with turtle craziness. Those are the ones that fill me with the most nostalgia. Going forward I don't think I'll ever buy any of these alt costume, gimmick guys or stuff that has nothing to do with the media to which it is attached (Scratch, Star Trek turtles, Shredder from 2k7 line)

Jester
02-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Were the molds any different than the original Mutatin' Turtles? I remember hating them because they're back legs became the front legs... somehow.
The mold was totally different, but the process was the same. The TMNT mutation figures had toes that flip to be baby Turtle toes. it was really stupid.
http://tmnttoys.com/07figures/moviemutations/9283.jpg

Wes
02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
I gotta ask a question to everyone. Now this is from your current adult mind, not what you would have done as a kid. All these things like mutating, robot suits and whatnot, do you buy it because you actually like the figure or is it just because it's turtles and you gotta catch 'em all syndrome?
Anyone who's seen my posts knows I don't suffer from that in the least. :lol: With few exceptions, I only buy figures (or characters) I really like, and most of the time I don't even buy those unless they're cheap or on sale/clearance.

So I don't really buy the variant/gimmick figures and whatnot because I'm not into them -- but it does depend on the gimmick. I bought the IM2 MkVI with the light-up torso because I dig stuff like that (and also because I wanted to try my hand at modding the arms), and I've eBayed many of the odder vintage line figures (Universal Monsters TMNTs, Turtle Trolls) because they freakin' rule. If Playmates released glow-in-the-dark TMNTs, I can definitely see snagging them. :)

Foot Soldier Clang
02-17-2012, 03:32 AM
The mold was totally different, but the process was the same. The TMNT mutation figures had toes that flip to be baby Turtle toes. it was really stupid.
http://tmnttoys.com/07figures/moviemutations/9283.jpg

The Mutations line was really, really a mixed bag :tlol:. I love my Mutatin' Rocksteady and Foot Soldier, but... ugh... the turtles were always awful. I am a big fan of their original mutatin' pizza that turned into a pizza shuriken :twink:

I still think the Mutations line could be great, but after three attempts in twenty years, maybe its time to bury the concept.

I'm still hoping for some sort of spring loaded weapons. I don't remember any past figures having blasters that actually shot like a missile, or hook, or something. I think the TMNT line is due some, especially the Foot Soldiers.

pannoni1
02-17-2012, 07:08 AM
I'd like to see a transforming playset, where with the push of a few buttons, the scene can transition to a different background. (perhaps three or four different ones). You could have the city street in one scene, the sewers (not the lair) in another, and perhaps wherever April works/lives in another.

Foot Soldier Clang
02-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I'd like to see a transforming playset, where with the push of a few buttons, the scene can transition to a different background. (perhaps three or four different ones). You could have the city street in one scene, the sewers (not the lair) in another, and perhaps wherever April works/lives in another.

I'd like to see something like that too. Maybe a better version of the classic Technodrome, where instead of just opening up in half, you can unfold it to be a much bigger playset.

Foot Soldier Clang
02-21-2012, 03:12 PM
What everyone's thoughts on the new talking turtle figures coming out? Personally, I'm not a big fan of talking figures, but I like how these new toys have that pull back feature that holds the noise and sounds they make.

Jester
02-21-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't know what IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIII think about it...

Powder
02-21-2012, 03:41 PM
What everyone's thoughts on the new talking turtle figures coming out? Personally, I'm not a big fan of talking figures, but I like how these new toys have that pull back feature that holds the noise and sounds they make.

Well, for one thing I love their head sculpts. The faces are bursting with personality. Even the body sculpts are cool, I like that they're a little more boxy than the regular line. The spring delay action is a strange feature, but I suppose it's pretty innovative and it makes sense. I mean, if you're a kid who really puts himself into the playtime rather than just bashing figures together, having the ability to attack at your own pace with SFX and all is a neato perk.

Foot Soldier Clang
02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
I think their faces look strange personally. You don't really get a feel for their individual personalities. They do look like they're burping hardcore, so I hope thats one of the sounds they make :tlol: