PDA

View Full Version : Are You 'Over It' Regarding Mask Color?

Dirty Blond
03-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Has any one let go of how they first felt about the mask matter in the IDW book? Have you moved on?

I know I have!

Princess Anri
03-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Yes. I moved on instantly.

I liked the all red bandanas.

But this is fine too.

Grimlock
03-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Did we have a choice? Yeah, it sucks but yes, we move on.

ToTheNines
03-28-2012, 08:33 PM
I was over it the day #5 came out, only fuss out of me was due to the debate we were having in that one thread.

Powder
03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Define "over it". I still wish they had red masks. I'm not gonna write IDW or bitch about it in issue reviews, though.

DonatelloFan
03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
I can't believe people have a strong opinion one way or another.

I couldn't care either way. Red or Colored, it's all the same to me. I never had any qualms about it.

But seriously, how can anyone care SO much about a bandana color? It's a COMIC...

Jester
03-28-2012, 09:18 PM
I think the big issue was the bait and switch. We saw red bandanas from the start and then suddenly "Here are you're colored masks, my sons." It seemed a bit off. That and many fans see the comics as Turtles in their purest form...and in that pure form the Turtles wear all red.

oldmanwinters
03-28-2012, 09:26 PM
I wonder if IDW is really gonna run with the all-red bandanas cover for #9 since they are still colored that way in the latest preview at the end of issue #8.

DonatelloFan
03-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Well, I guess that makes sense. But for people to worked up either way is just silly. I like the red bandanas, but colored is fine, too. I don't pay attention to colors of bandanas when I'm reading a story.

Archon_Turtle
03-28-2012, 09:41 PM
It never bothered me in the first place.

Dirty Blond
03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Define "over it". I still wish they had red masks. I'm not gonna write IDW or bitch about it in issue reviews, though.

Sounds like you've moved on like I have.

mysterycolor
03-28-2012, 10:50 PM
never made a difference for me

Andrew NDB
03-29-2012, 12:27 AM
I can't believe people have a strong opinion one way or another.

Hm. Were you, like, absent from the boards for like the past... entire duration of the IDW series? It's OK if you were, of course. I only ask because it's the only possible conclusion I can arrive at for you to be arriving at such a statement in the here and now.

But seriously, how can anyone care SO much about a bandana color? It's a COMIC...

I'm going to not comment on that for reasons of it being... ridiculous, on many levels. Number one, comic book discussions on message boards... eh, you know what, never mind. It's just not worth the energy.

Anyway, honest thoughts:

I'm beginning to see that all-red masks would not suit or befit the direction they appear to be going in (if things are to be rather quasi-Fred Wolf centric, I'd just as soon the "all-red TMNT" continue to be confined to the source material). That said, while I can appreciate the IDW team "honoring the roots" with the initial red-bandannaing, I think the reasoning for going rainbow is pretty sketchy and dodgy at best and would have preferred not to have been baited-and-switched.

Andrew NDB
03-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Also, it seems that the "all red" still leads by some 60%:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=36167&highlight=multi-colored

And oh, since we're on the subject, I posted something in that thread that I noticed didn't see a lot of response. Let me repost here for sh**s and giggles:

Rank 102 for 12/11: TMNT #5 -- 19,689 copies

#5 hits, at the end of which we see them getting the rainbow bandannas. And then...

Rank 100 for 1/12: TMNT #6 -- 18,773 copies

... the book loses about a thousand readers.

I thought the general idea from a lot of the pro-rainbow bandanna people was that it would boost sales?

Jester
03-29-2012, 12:56 AM
What do #7's sales numbers look like, smarty-pants? :P

Andrew NDB
03-29-2012, 01:03 AM
What do #7's sales numbers look like, smarty-pants? :P

Rank 107 for 2/12: TMNT #7 -- 18,769 copies

So one issue later with the continued rainbow bandannas, it lost 4 more readers. In theory.

Matches Malone
03-29-2012, 01:58 AM

I thought the general idea from a lot of the pro-rainbow bandanna people was that it would boost sales?

Another way to look at it is it climbed up 2 ranks from 102 to 100. And then... fell down to 107. <shrugs>

Archon_Turtle
03-29-2012, 03:41 AM
Also, it seems that the "all red" still leads by some 60%:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=36167&highlight=multi-colored

And oh, since we're on the subject, I posted something in that thread that I noticed didn't see a lot of response. Let me repost here for sh**s and giggles:

#5 hits, at the end of which we see them getting the rainbow bandannas. And then...

But if it gained 2 ranks by losing 1000 readers, doesn't that mean that everyone lost readers?

Candy Kappa
03-29-2012, 03:43 AM
some like their Batman all back, some black and gray and other prefer the gray and blue costume.

I have a preference, it's the red masks, but it's not bugging me to the point where I'm standing on the roof top screaming "TOOOOOM WAAAAALTZ!" shaking my fists in the air. Or ranting on the net, which ever makes more sense :P

In the end, this isn't the Mirage comics, and as long as the stories are good, the art is top notch and coloring is solid. I be a happy camper.

And I'll take this Hamato Yoshi/Splinter of the Fred Wolf Hamato Yoshi/Splinter anytime ;)

discordiatookie
03-29-2012, 03:44 AM
Didn't really bother me in the first place.

Weapons@theready
03-29-2012, 06:28 AM
It was never that big of a deal to me because I knew that what I preferred would have no bearing on which direction the masks went. ANd as far as sales dropping off after Issue 5, #5 is also the introduction of the reincarnation angle, so take that for what its worth as well

pannoni1
03-29-2012, 06:29 AM
I didn't mind at all, since I just see both red and colored as interchangble, even among the comics (Mirage vs. Archie). IDW gives us the chance to see both versions for the first time, and lets continue to enjoy the series.

Revan
03-29-2012, 06:33 AM
I prefer the all red masks but there isn't much I can do about it so it's whatever. I'm not one all up in arms bitching about it. I can still enjoy the books. Honestly, that was a good thing about the Mirage books. Officially, they all wore red but we didn't see it on the pages since they were black and white. The covers were the only places we got to see the red bandanas... WHICH ARE FAR SUPERIOR

:P I couldn't resist

Candy Kappa
03-29-2012, 06:34 AM
this reminds me of a TMNT coloring book I had as a kid, it had coloring pens included, But. it did not come with orange :lol:

pihb
03-29-2012, 06:45 AM
I prefer the all red masks but there isn't much I can do about it so it's whatever. I'm not one all up in arms bitching about it. I can still enjoy the books. Honestly, that was a good thing about the Mirage books. Officially, they all wore red but we didn't see it on the pages since they were black and white. The covers were the only places we got to see the red bandanas... WHICH ARE FAR SUPERIOR

:P I couldn't resist

That is a very good point. When I was talking to Kevin Eastman when he flew to Austin. We were chatting about the colored bandanas. He told me the red came about by accident because he didn't know what else to color. He also thought it was comical how divided fans get over it.

Personally I love the red, I loved the color in the TV show and movies. In this series they made the transition work. I am not going to complain over it because there is no need to.

ToTheNines
03-29-2012, 06:51 AM
I've brought this up before, but the thing that still bugs me about it story-wise is the fact that Splinter decided to give them their favorite colors from their past lives... but tossed their original names aside just because they were given pet names by the employees at Stockgen.

Toby Barrett
03-29-2012, 07:10 AM
He was also willing to toss aside his own name.

Candy Kappa
03-29-2012, 07:24 AM
I've brought this up before, but the thing that still bugs me about it story-wise is the fact that Splinter decided to give them their favorite colors from their past lives... but tossed their original names aside just because they were given pet names by the employees at Stockgen.

yeah, that is kinda bugging

Oculus Orbus
03-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Well, I'm "over it" because there's not much that can be done about it, and there's no point in ranting forever. But I still wish they were wearing red bandanas, and still think the way they introduced the rainbow bandanas didn't make much sense. ToTheNines makes an excellent point.

Looks like I might not be "over it" after all.

Donnie
03-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Anyone else feel like this is gonna turn into that other thread all over again? :roll:

CyberCubed
03-29-2012, 09:39 AM
I bet the Turtles have color bandanas so Slash can eventually show up with the black bandana. ;)

ToTheNines
03-29-2012, 10:05 AM
I bet the Turtles have color bandanas so Slash can eventually show up with the black bandana. ;)

How would all-red deter that?

Toby Barrett
03-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Slash with a red bandana would look killer badass

Andrew NDB
03-29-2012, 11:44 AM
I've never been really sold on Slash wearing any bandanna. It's strange enough that the Ninja Turtles wear the bandannas (stranger still that they would wear different, mood-colored ones), but whatever, we accept it... but when an alien Turtle from another planet in a different galaxy/universe/dimension just happens to wear one exactly like they do (even if it's a different color) then that's hard to rationalize.

CyberCubed
03-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Well it certainly looks better than his old toon design.

Matches Malone
03-29-2012, 12:22 PM
But if it gained 2 ranks by losing 1000 readers, doesn't that mean that everyone lost readers?

People were so depressed about the color change that no one wanted to read ANY comics that month. :P

The Master
03-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Mask color is the absolute least of my gripes regarding this new series. Non-issue.

TMNT is cooler than MOTU
03-29-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes the colored masks. Although I have to say the colored knee/elbow pads and wrist bands look silly. Says the guy talking about mutant turtles...

Andrew NDB
03-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Says the guy talking about mutant turtles...

No need to Crisler's Law (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Crisler's%20Law) yourself.

Toby Barrett
03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Andrew's Law:

The law of averages that states that sooner or later in a reason-minded discussion about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, someone will attempt to refute the entire discussion or argument with a statement equivalent to "But we're talking about four mutant ninja turtles living in a sewer!", causing Andrew to post Crisler's Law.

Kidding! Kidding! :lol:

Jester
03-29-2012, 02:47 PM
No...no...Andrew's Law is: "Nothing beats the original..."

azrael
03-29-2012, 02:56 PM
I keep seeing the term "Bait and Switch" which I feel IDW did not do. They said they would have all red bandanas which they did, they never said it was going to be there forever.

Bait and Switch would be what DC did with the Huntress advertise and talk about it like it was going to be Helena B. then about the 4rth issue in they switch her last name to Wayne (The selina and bruce's daughter from another reality). Which btw DC promoted that book as Helena B.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/the-huntress-2011/the-huntress-2

Even though it was boring I supported it because I support characters. Unless they are god awful books (Batgirl Im looking at you!)

TonySiegel
03-29-2012, 03:14 PM
No need to Crisler's Law (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Crisler's%20Law) yourself.

Who is this Crisler character you speak of? And no, one does not simply get "over it" in regards to red bandanas and Michael Bay's reoccurring atrocities.

strugler
03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I am sure i am in the minority here, but i was pissed off when i saw that idw gave the turtles all red bandannas. and was extremely happy when they got their colored ones.

I grew up with both the 87 cartoons and the mirage comics, and i always thought it was confusing when reading the comics in black and white and some turtles is talking in a panel and is not holding his weapon, you would have no idea which one is he, you will have to wait for him to grab his weapon or another turtle calls him by his name, which was very annoying for me. Now that the IDW comic is in colors, having them all wear red will have the same effect as the B/W mirage comics.

oldmanwinters
03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
I keep seeing the term "Bait and Switch" which I feel IDW did not do. They said they would have all red bandanas which they did, they never said it was going to be there forever.

To quote Hank Hill:

"No, no, it's Bait and Bait!"

:tlol:

MikeandRaph87
03-29-2012, 03:28 PM
No...no...Andrew's Law is: "Nothing beats the original..."

Its funny because I think "nothing beats the original cartoon". Its all about perference and how we want to see our favorite heroes. Neither are right yet both ideas are right. Its up to the individual. How much of one source should be influenced depends on many factors from what the one making it is intending,what the audience wants, what is the incarnation about among many things.

Jester
03-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Now that the IDW comic is in colors, having them all wear red will have the same effect as the B/W mirage comics.
Except they all had unique skin colors as well...

Killer Moth
03-29-2012, 08:15 PM
I've never been really sold on Slash wearing any bandanna. It's strange enough that the Ninja Turtles wear the bandannas (stranger still that they would wear different, mood-colored ones), but whatever, we accept it... but when an alien Turtle from another planet in a different galaxy/universe/dimension just happens to wear one exactly like they do (even if it's a different color) then that's hard to rationalize.

Actually, it isn't as difficult to rationalize, as Slash's toy design and bio implied him to be an evil mirror counterpart to the Turtles. Most fiction has that one villain or multiple villains copying the hero's fashion style or function for various reasons, so go along with that. Your logic is sound as "why would he wear the bandanna," but the real point is basic aesthetics (or maybe it's a case of form vs. function?). Besides, Tokka didn't wear one, so we have one of each (an evil Turtle with or without a bandanna).

And yet, Archie and the 87 series never really played up Slash's evil mirror character archetype very much. The former did, but very briefly. The latter, well, did its own thing with him, and we'll leave at that. In which case, it does become more bizarre than it would if Shredder, one day, "okay, I'll fight fire with fire and go with my own evil Turtle to counter those wretched reptiles." (Why that scenario never happened in any media, somebody explain it to me, please.)

Anyway, while nostaglia and my general preference leans toward rainbow, I've long accepted the red. In IDW's case, they should have waited a little long before the transition to rainbow, but what's done is done. With computers being what they are, today, color them whatever you want and call it a day.

Kendamu
03-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Rank 107 for 2/12: TMNT #7 -- 18,769 copies

So one issue later with the continued rainbow bandannas, it lost 4 more readers. In theory.

In theory. It could've just as easily been due to the reincarnation angle.

AquaParade
03-30-2012, 12:53 PM
In theory. It could've just as easily been due to the reincarnation angle.

Very true.

Perhaps, though, Andrew's point is that it didn't really boost sales either.

Although, I don't think that was ever Tom/IDW's intention with the colored bandana's. Didn't Tom say it was just his preference?

For the record, I miss the red, but am still enjoying the book.

Ninja_Shoe_Repair
03-30-2012, 09:45 PM
No, I still want the all red. Any serious comics should be all red. Don't change tradition. When I was younger, I would have wanted the colored and nothing else but now that I'm older I pine more for the early Mirage style and I don't see that changing. To each their own is the main point but my opinion still hasn't swayed from the beginning. They won't change it back at any point either. Colored masks are unfortunately here to stay.

ToTheNines
03-30-2012, 10:48 PM

They could just start him out without one, have him meet/fight the turtles, then imitate their look.

Boom. Alien turtle with a bandanna.

Lampy
04-10-2012, 07:42 AM
I wasn't here for "that other thread". But I was a bit upset the first time they switched to colored because for once I got to see a shallow glimpse of the Mirage Turtles in action. Then after five issues, they took it away. So that was a huge bummer.
But then again, I grew up watching the OT... so I've been over it for most of my life. Most Turtles incarnation wore different colors... so it wasn't anything new.

Sage Ninja
04-16-2012, 10:45 AM

what were their orginal names in their past lives? Also I'm not sure I like that some employees named the turtles and instead of Splinter naming them himself. I don't know if this mirage canon or OT canon but didn't he name them after his favorite renaissance artists? That angle had a nice personal touch to it and I'm saddened it was dropped.

ToTheNines
04-16-2012, 11:39 AM
what were their orginal names in their past lives? Also I'm not sure I like that some employees named the turtles and instead of Splinter naming them himself. I don't know if this mirage canon or OT canon but didn't he name them after his favorite renaissance artists? That angle had a nice personal touch to it and I'm saddened it was dropped.

Their names weren't revealed in #5, but they obviously had traditional Japanese names in their past lives that Splinter must remember if he remembers everything else with such clarity.

I understand that Tom had to have Splinter call them Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael and Donatello somehow, so it doesn't bother me that he changed who named them. But like I said, I fail to see Splinter's in-story logic.

Toby Barrett
04-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Maybe he's just a crazy old rat man with selective memory. :D

oldschoolturtlesfan
04-21-2012, 09:46 AM
No, I still want the all red. Any serious comics should be all red. Don't change tradition. When I was younger, I would have wanted the colored and nothing else but now that I'm older I pine more for the early Mirage style and I don't see that changing. To each their own is the main point but my opinion still hasn't swayed from the beginning. They won't change it back at any point either. Colored masks are unfortunately here to stay.

I agree!!!

Galactus
04-21-2012, 03:23 PM

When they first acquired the license they did say that the new book would be like the Mirage books. Now that's a little vague but there are certain tropes that immediately come to most fans minds when a claim like that is made.

The early artwork depicting red bandana clad TMNT fighting a gang in a rundown neighborhood with Kevin Eastman doing his distinctive layouts really sold us on the idea this was going to be like the early Mirage books.

What we got was fairly far removed from the off but even taking into account Tom Waltz's early interviews saying he was using elements from other parts of the franchise you can't blame people for thinking "five issues in and we're already deep into Fred Wolf territory" making you wonder why they bothered in the first place.

That's not to say what we're getting is bad. For me it's mostly fallen into "okay" territory which probably puts it on par with Tales V. 2 at this point. I don't mind them starting with all red and switching to multi-voloured masks and I'm an advocate for that happening in the movie (since the liklihood of them just using red in the movie is just above zero) I just thought it was a bit fast. You have to wonder if it's true that Fred Wolf concepts are such a big draw why they didn't start out with them and segway into more Mirage stuff?

Samhain
04-21-2012, 05:04 PM
My thoughts now are I'm just glad we got to see them in all red at all. I mean, they could've started multi- colored and just called it a day but at least they tried to pay some respect to the originals.

And besides, Bobby and Tom now know from this forum that the red bandanas DO matter to a lot of fans so who knows, we might see them again sometime in the future.;)

Matches Malone
04-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Perhaps they didn't say it would be there forever, but is that something anyone is asking for? There's no precedent for switching mask colors in any turtles medium, so of course no one would think of that as a possibility. IDW never they're not going to reveal that it was all a dream and they are actually aliens. Giving us the impression of one thing that ends up being something else is the difference between "bait & switch" and straight up lying. We are led to believe the turtles have red masks and will remain that way because why would we think otherwise? Now I'm not saying any of this was intentional deception, but I think the phrase has some validity in this case. I too am glad to see some respect to the original, but it would have been easier to swallow if that were made explicit from the beginning. The problem is, I don't think that was what they had in mind in the beginning, so it just ended up being an unfortunate turn of events where Mirage fans were a bit let down by the end result. Oh well.

Andrew NDB
04-23-2012, 01:48 AM
They could just start him out without one, have him meet/fight the turtles, then imitate their look.

Boom. Alien turtle with a bandanna.

I'd be fine with that.

Toby Barrett
04-23-2012, 07:12 AM
That'd make sense, I like that!

LeoNerdo
04-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I've never had a problem with colored bandanas because I'm coming from a position of being introduce to TMNT by the Fred Wolf toon. Maybe for the fans that dislike them, it would have been easier for them to accept if the comic had just begun with the colored bandanas. But I think they wanted to pay homage to the source material and maybe in some small way thought the comic would be taken a bit more seriously if they started it off with the traditional red.

CyberCubed
04-24-2012, 11:18 PM
After reading all the newer issues I feel Dan Duncan's art looks better with the colors. I don't know why, they just suit his style.