PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Discussion

Barkworm
05-04-2003, 01:26 PM
I hope so... Altough the diffrence between PS2's and GC's hardware is not that big...
Actually it is! Have you played Starfox Adventures or Metroid Prime yet? Graphics like these aren't possible on PS2!
Edit: 2 More pics of the game!
http://www.cube-europe.com/games/tmnt/1.jpg
http://www.cube-europe.com/games/tmnt/2.jpg

Raven
05-04-2003, 02:53 PM
I hope so... Altough the diffrence between PS2's and GC's hardware is not that big...
Actually it is! Have you played Starfox Adventures or Metroid Prime yet? Graphics like these aren't possible on PS2!

what are you a moran ps2 is the best consule out there
you must of never seen metal gear solid because thats the only reason
I can think of why you would say that!

cqb101
05-04-2003, 03:12 PM

what are you a moran ps2 is the best consule out there
you must of never seen metal gear solid because thats the only reason
I can think of why you would say that!

I think you are the moron for 3 reasons.

1. GC, and XBpx have, and can support better graphics than PS2. It's not an opinion it's fact.

2. It's your opinion that PS2 is the best, it's not fact.

3. You can't spell moron correctly.

Raven
05-04-2003, 03:22 PM
wow theres some real stupid people

all i have to say is ps2 is the best xbox is so god damn lame
game cube graphics look the same as n64(I know many will disagree)

splinter cell is nothing but a ripp off of mgs, splinter cell has no story behind it at all!!!!!!!!

oh and lets not forget grand theft auto is only on ps2

all other game consules should go to hell!!!!!!!

cqb101
05-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Actually GTA is for the PC also. Many people will disagree that GC graphics look like N64 graphics becuase you'de have to be blind to even think that.

Stefano
05-04-2003, 03:46 PM
i agree. ps2 is good but just cause you like dosent mean you have to hate all the others. Calm down.

cqb101
05-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Ya, calm down and learn how to spell.

Tokka-B
05-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Gamecube is so much better....it is almost a joke to compare it to X-box....and PS2? Talk about mass-market crap games...

cqb101
05-04-2003, 04:27 PM
I even know people who would never even touch a GC controller, and think that PS2 is god, say that GC has far superior graphics. And XBox just sucks. The controllers are way too big, and the only exclusive game it has that's any good, is Halo.

Stefano
05-04-2003, 06:46 PM
I even know people who would never even touch a GC controller, and think that PS2 is god, say that GC has far superior graphics. And XBox just sucks. The controllers are way too big, and the only exclusive game it has that's any good, is Halo.
thats true i hate the xboxes damn controller

Dane E5R
05-04-2003, 07:03 PM
I say that XBox is easily the best system. You can not judge a console by the amount of games it has, seeing as how that has nothing to do with the console itself. XBox is the most powerful by far of the next-gen systems. The sharpest, cleanest, and all around best graphics. Notice whenever they advertise a game that's available on all 3 platforms, they show XBox footage. It also has the best sound, and perhaps the best asset it has, the fact that you can save your games to system memory instead of shelling out cash on extra memory cards. The controller suits the system. It's size is necessary to suit all the buttons it has, it's definitely not a handicap, they're actually quite valuable. Plus it has internet access and a DVD player. Gamecube does not. It has four controller ports. PS2 does not. Also, Halo is certainly not the only nice game available, (even though it's enough. I have several friends that have bought the system JUST for Halo, myself included) What about Oddworld? Or Max Payne? Splinter Cell? I also have a Gamecube that I share with my brother, who happens to be a GC fan. He claimed many of the claims that you make about the GC being a better system, so to prove his point, he went and bought Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance to compare against my copy...........Let's just say he never proved his point.

By the way, when Halo 2 comes out..All XBox bashers will have nothing left to say. :D

Spike
05-04-2003, 07:10 PM

splinter cell is nothing but a ripp off of mgs, splinter cell has no story behind it at all!!!!!!!!

Are you for real?

Listen dude, I own PS2, XBOX, and GameCube. The PS2 is blown out of the water by the competition. Take a look at StarFox Adventures on GameCube and Panzer Dragoon Orta on the XBOX and then come and tell me that the PS2 is best.

Ps2 has some great games, but that's what happens when you have a year and a half head start in Japan.

Grand Theft Auto is the most overhyped piece of trash in any generation of videogaming. If any game should not exist, it is definately these two games. The graphics are putrid for next gen games. It is filled with game-crashing bugs, for example, in Vice City I tried burning rubber around a corner and my car got stuck on a park bench. There is no excuse for this game to have been pushed.

But then I forgot that gamers like you look to play the "cool and mature" games instead of playing good games.

Spike
05-04-2003, 07:21 PM
XBox is the most powerful by far of the next-gen systems. The sharpest, cleanest, and all around best graphics. Notice whenever they advertise a game that's available on all 3 platforms, they show XBox footage. It also has the best sound, and perhaps the best asset it has, the fact that you can save your games to system memory instead of shelling out cash on extra memory cards. The controller suits the system. It's size is necessary to suit all the buttons it has, it's definitely not a handicap, they're actually quite valuable. Plus it has internet access and a DVD player. Gamecube does not. It has four controller ports. PS2 does not.

Sorry, mate. Power is not in any way related to the graphics. Yes Xbox has some of the cleanest graphics on the market (have you seen the cube running in 480?), but that definately doesn't make it the most powerful system out there. The Nvidia graphics chip is the reason that the system seems the most powerful to you. The audio, though, is the best on the market.

If you are talking true power of the system, then the GameCube edges out the XBOX because of its processor. A 405MHz RISC processor translates to an 800Mhz CISC processor. The XBOX has a 700MHz CISC processor. Take a game like Rouge Leader and look at the graphics, the amount of enemy ships on screen at any one time, the real-time lighting that TIE Fighter blasts make on your X-Wing when they zoom over your ship, the way that you can command your troops. Truly, this is power.

By the way, when Halo 2 comes out..All XBox bashers will have nothing left to say. :D

Oh, believe me, they'll find something to bash about! :wink: Didn't you hear? It's impossible to simply admit you like a game nowadays.

Stone Ill
05-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Blah blah blah...It's true X-Box has better graphics than GC and PS2 and that GC's are better than PS2. But that doesn't matter. It's just a console. Stop fighting, and get back to the game.

Tokka-B
05-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Yea, once Super Smash Brothers Melee online comes out, no other game will be sold in that time frame. :lol:

Anyway, you truly are brave to defend the x-box that much, and I bow to your braveness. First of all the fact that it is pretty much a PC makes it eligable for game crashes, something not cool at all if playing an RPG or whatever...Gamecube does have internet access through broadband, I haven't tried it yet though...Ps2 has multitap, so it can play 4 people at the same time as well...X-box and Ps2 have ****** ass load times while Gamecube has zippo loading time. I already have a dvd player, why get another and pay money that I wouldn't need to...consoles are meant for games, not movies or songs. I have no problem with the Mortal Kombat for GC, the graphics for fatalities are just astonishing...the gameplay is perfect. Nintendo has been around so much longer, therefore having many more mascots and characters you remember from your childhood. X-box has ...???

Ninja Tiptup
05-04-2003, 07:56 PM
It's a mute point because I'd say neither XBOX or Gamecube have shown their true potential yet. Metroid Prime 2 and Halo 2 will probably do that, but it's unliikely.

Gamecube has better games and design overall though.

PS2 is a great system, but you have to realize that it's OLD now. It's been old for quite some time. The graphics are good, but they will never be as good as what GCN can put out (and I suppose XBOX).

Where'd did TMNT on XBOX come from anyway? I was sure it was only for GCN, PS2, PC, and GBA. I'd prefer if it was. GCN needs something third party that you can't get on XBOX that is worth XBOX players time to check out.

Peanut
05-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Boy do I hate fanboys. Even though I'm a Nintendo fanboy. Even as such I own all 3 consoles. PS2 I feel was a big waste of money. It's got nothing going for it at all. It's just a DVD player now that the Big N and X-Box are in the house. Nintendo IMO is the best of the three. X-Box doesn't have enough good first party games to compete with the all mighty god that is GCN. It's still very good though. As for the controllers, play with an S controller, it just completely destroys the debate about the big controllers. Currently I've begun to collect 3rd party multi-platform games on X-Box because it is IMO the best looking system. Keep in mind I don't have progressive scan for my GCN. GCN of course rules the roost because of the great first party games. Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Brothers: Melee, Animal Crossing (one of the most creative and addictive games to date) and of course The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker to name a few. I personally think Metroid Prime is over rated. I find the gameplay pretty bland with not much change in the pace of the game, even with the suit additions. If I were to rate the three out of 100 it would go as so:

3. Playstation2 - 60/100 (DVD player is useful and free unlike X-Box. Some good games but not enough first party support to keep an intrest. Thumbs down as far as game console goes. Last game purchased: Hot Shots Gold 3. Over half year ago.)

2. X-Box - 85/100 (Good graphics and sound. Most 3rd party games are of superior quality compared to other consoles. Large hard drive = no need for memory card. Ability to burn songs from cd to create custom soundtrack. Few good first party games, but the ones that count really really count *Halo*. Last game purchased: Kung Fu Chaos. 1 week ago.)

1. Gamecube - 95/100 (Good graphics and sound. The BEST first party support of all systems. Amazing exclusive games *Zelda, Mario* Very minimal load times. Very comfy controller. Did I mention the amazing exclusive games? Last game purchased: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. 3 weeks ago.)

The Stryker
05-04-2003, 10:13 PM
PS2-Good console but alittle over-rated now that every one is buying it to beat old ladies with a stick in GTA

GC-Awesome console best out of the three but too many people think that Gc is for "babies" and we should once again beat old ladies with sticks

Xbox-2nd best only because of the sound and graphic processor....the PS2 dvd player needs the volume all the way up >_<

Barkworm
05-04-2003, 10:28 PM

Like cqb101 said before we're not talking about opinions but about facts! And it is a fact that PS2's graphics are totally inferior to X-Box and GC, what's just normal because the consol is a year older than the other two. I own a PS2 and a GC so (unlike you) I know what I'm talking about. Everything you thought must have been something like: "WHAT??? SOMEONE INSULTED MY BELOVED PS2???? I HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING NO MATTER HOW DUMB IT IS!!" So you said... something:
game cube graphics look the same as n64(I know many will disagree) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Calm down and have fun with the consol you like but don't say such ridiculous things

GK Punk
05-04-2003, 10:36 PM

Sorry dude, Halo wasn't that great and I have 3 words to say to you... Metroid... Prime... Two... :)

Reznorite420
05-05-2003, 05:25 AM
I some words to say to all of you about modern games in general: the graphics don't make the game, the gameplay does. Thank you.

Peanut
05-05-2003, 09:13 AM
OMG GK Halo was sooooooooooooooo much better than Metroid Prime. I fell asleep playing MP.

Karpo_007
05-05-2003, 09:25 AM
To say that one console sucks or has mass makrketed crap games is really stupid. IF you want to play best games, you need all three consoles. If youlike Console RPG's, PS2 is currently the only choice. If you like Platformers and Adventure games, Gamecube is a must. You want to play RTS or FPS games, you need powerfull PC.

Thats why I have those machines. I have nothing against X-box, But I feel that it does not have enough exculsive games to give me a reason to buy it.

SavantiRomero
05-05-2003, 09:45 AM
I have something to say also. It's not just the graphics or the game play.

It's BOTH. If the graphics suck you most likely won't even buy it to see the game inside the cartridge. Most gamers are visual these days. Most people wouldn't play a text based game if you held a gun to their head.

In addition a GOOD story, theme, and characters are ALSO important to make a great game.

ALL systems have their good and their bad games .... comon.

I prefer PC based games myself sorry :P I can just do more with my computer than I can with any of those systems, and there ARE emulators for all those systems. There are even connection peripherals for the cartridges :P

Karpo_007
05-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Emulators? There are no emulators for PS2 gamecube or X-box that would actually run games.

Barkworm
05-05-2003, 11:12 AM
To say that one console sucks or has mass makrketed crap games is really stupid. IF you want to play best games, you need all three consoles. If youlike Console RPG's, PS2 is currently the only choice. If you like Platformers and Adventure games, Gamecube is a must. You want to play RTS or FPS games, you need powerfull PC.

Thats why I have those machines. I have nothing against X-box, But I feel that it does not have enough exculsive games to give me a reason to buy it.
Wisely spoken!

GK Punk
05-05-2003, 12:09 PM
OMG GK Halo was sooooooooooooooo much better than Metroid Prime. I fell asleep playing MP.

lol

Well Metroid has always been a game more about exploring than straight out getting in to wars, so if that's not your thing I can see why. Metroid's always been my favorite game series, so MP was my favorite of basically all games that came out recently.

cqb101
05-05-2003, 12:10 PM

I totally agree. I also have PS2, GC, and a computer and use each one for those kinds of games.

I won't buy an Xbox becuase 95% of the games released for it are available on either GC, or PS2.

impetus
05-05-2003, 03:44 PM
The TMNT games will rock. Though 4-players would rule, I can't see why it's not supported.

Since we're having fanboy battles, DREAMCAST is the best system as it supports emulation (my DC is my Genesis, SMS, GG, GB/C, SNES, NES, Atari2600) and it is the exclusive system for Tux And Barrels (http://geocities.com/mr_impetus/screamcast.htm). :D And the controllers are nice.

Reznorite420
05-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Well, don't get me wrong, I never said that 3-D effects weren't cool, they are. It's just that you have no idea how many 13- to 16-year-olds I know that won't play a game just because it doesn't have the best 3-D graphics and DO play games with kickass graphics but totally awful gameplay *coughjediknightcough*...

That being said, I await this new TMNT game with ever-growing enthusiasm.

The Defibrillator
05-05-2003, 04:37 PM
Since we're having fanboy battles, DREAMCAST is the best system as it supports emulation (my DC is my Genesis, SMS, GG, GB/C, SNES, NES, Atari2600) and it is the exclusive system for Tux And Barrels (http://geocities.com/mr_impetus/screamcast.htm). :D And the controllers are nice.

dreamcast really is a great system. runs smoothly. awesome controllers. and they have those mini game boy thingies too! problem is, no one wants to make (good) games for it!

impetus
05-05-2003, 07:13 PM
there are a lot of great DC games and now they're really cheap, too

Dane E5R
05-05-2003, 08:18 PM
I'm the biggest XBox mark you'll find on this board. :) And Kittie, I'm sorry man, but you are just flat out wrong here. There is no FPS better than Halo. Metroid Prime drags on, and it doesn't even have a multiplayer. No thanks.

Kid Icarus
05-05-2003, 08:44 PM
I'm the biggest XBox mark you'll find on this board. :) And Kittie, I'm sorry man, but you are just flat out wrong here. There is no FPS better than Halo. Metroid Prime drags on, and it doesn't even have a multiplayer. No thanks. :roll: Metroid never was meant to have multiplayer. Oh well, I though halo was kinda dull (perhaps it would have been better if my hands wern't being reformed by the x-box controller?). Goldeneye is still considered the best FPS ever made according to the industry, btw.

I'll pry rent the new TMNT game to see if its good first, but I know I'll end up getting it eventually.

Peanut
05-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Actually I'm pretty sure Halo has been named the offical marker for what all FPS should be. BTW why does EVERYONE talk about the big X-Box controllers. Is it just me or has NO ONE heard of controller S??? Also I don't think it's a fair assumption to put MP and Halo side by side because MP isn't a FPS it's a FPA, First Person Adventure, I still think Halo is superior to it though. Of course LoZ:WW is the best game made in a long while.

Barkworm
05-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Also I don't think it's a fair assumption to put MP and Halo side by side because MP isn't a FPS it's a FPA, First Person Adventure,
Exactly, and that's why these games shouldn't be compared. If you like to be directly into the action you should play Halo, if you like searching for items and solving riddles (like me) you must play Metroid.

GK Punk
05-05-2003, 11:29 PM
I'm the biggest XBox mark you'll find on this board. :) And Kittie, I'm sorry man, but you are just flat out wrong here. There is no FPS better than Halo. Metroid Prime drags on, and it doesn't even have a multiplayer. No thanks.

Actually, that was suppousd to be a joke, I was trying to lighten up this thread a little, but I see that dosn't work on some people.. and actually I hated Halo, dosn't mean I think you are "flat out wrong" for liking it... And how can MP and Halo be SERIOUSLY compared? they are completley different games, Metroid isn't an FPS, it's an Adventure game. The point is to search things out and get lost in that gigantic world... And, I am very glad Metroid didn't have a multiplayer mode, I would have gone off on Retro Games for ruining the series....

GK Punk
05-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Sorry for the double post, but can we have a mod split this in to a new Video Game discussion, as not to be SOOOO off topic anymore?

Krang
05-06-2003, 01:59 AM
I some words to say to all of you about modern games in general: the graphics don't make the game, the gameplay does. Thank you.Exactly. Personally, I don't care how "powerful" a console is or how good the graphics are, I only look for consoles with good games, and that's why I have a PS2 and GC. There aren't enough X-Box games that aren't available on other consoles for me to want to buy one.

SavantiRomero
05-06-2003, 02:42 AM
Actually, there ARE emulators for both Xbox and PS2.

Just got to look harder :)

Haven't looked for any on Gamecube yet.

They may not be perfect but trust me, they do run the games. :)

GK Punk
05-06-2003, 02:49 AM

wow that's kinda fast... that took them no time at all... I knew there were some for GBA... But that's news! how advanced are they so far?

The Defibrillator
05-06-2003, 09:48 AM
first of all, like Rez said, the graphics don't make the game.

my two cents:

X-Box- most of the games on X-box are available on GC and PS2. Halo really was an awesome game, but I would not buy an X-box just for Halo. Also, X-box is more susceptable to glitches and bugs.

GC- I love mario and zelda. I personally can't find anything wrong with GC 'cept its narrowed choice of games. oh and smash bros melee. OH YEAH!

PS2- PS2 definitely has the crappiest games. It also has the biggest selection of games. My favorite thing about PS2 is that you can also play PS games on it, and you can get PS games for dirt cheap now.

overall: out of these 3, I would probably get a GamCube, because it has the best selection of awesome games. Mario Sunshine, MP, Zelda, Smash Bros, etc etc.

the system that rules them all: N64. Goldeneye, Starfox, Smash Bros, Perfect Dark, Bomberman (for multi-player purposes only). What more can I say?

Karpo_007
05-06-2003, 09:52 AM

wow that's kinda fast... that took them no time at all... I knew there were some for GBA... But that's news! how advanced are they so far?

I said it before, none of those run commerical games, and probably wont for many years.

impetus
05-06-2003, 11:02 AM
I said it before, none of those run commerical games, and probably wont for many years.
I think you're wrong there. I'm a rather "inside" member in the DCEmu/Homebrew scene (i'm actally one of the creators and my site is hosted by DC Emulation) and I know that DC Has fantastic emulation capabilities. As I said before, it's all my systems, yadda yadda.
Other systems such as XBox and PS2 are not as good for emu (Many have slow emulation or poor sound), but they do in fact run many commercial roms. For instance these screenshots: http://ps2.consolevision.com/snesstation.shtml

GK Punk
05-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Okay, well Impetus I actually have a question for you...

I've been in to the DCEmu seen for many years now, I have several of the emulators on CD and running on my Dreamcast, and while there are several good emulators, I can never get a good Genesis or SNES one... (Well the FIRST Genesis Emulator works well, but I lost the files to burn that one to a new disc)

My question is, about the PS2/XBOX scene, how well do they run the SNES/Genesis games? are there some emulators good enough to support them? do I need to mod a PS2 to use the burned CDs, or do they self boot?

impetus
05-06-2003, 11:45 AM
My question is, about the PS2/XBOX scene, how well do they run the SNES/Genesis games? are there some emulators good enough to support them? do I need to mod a PS2 to use the burned CDs, or do they self boot?

For Dreamcast:
SegaGEN is the best Genesis emulator but it is illegal.... :roll:
DreamSNES is a fantastic, almost-full speed SNES. You can get it at dcemulation.com once it goes back up. PM me and we can talk about details.

The other systems I don't know as much about, but you can see what's new at consolevison.com

Karpo_007
05-06-2003, 02:25 PM
I tought the question was about DC/PS2/X-box emulators on PC... My bad. Emulators on DC do work.