PDA

View Full Version : Astro-Zombies Comics TMNT Retailer Exclusive Cover Contest

rich
05-29-2012, 04:29 PM
I just found out about an art contest being held by Astro-Zombies comics in Albuquerque, NM. The winner gets their art on the cover of an upcoming TMNT (IDW) Astro-Zombies Retailer Exclusive.

If you are an artist and want to break into comics this is a great opportunity. I wrote an article about it on my blog but you can also check out the news area of the Astro-Zombies website (http://astrozombies.com/news.aspx). The contest runs through June.

Good luck to anyone entering the contest...I'm looking forward to seeing the eventual results.

DonatelloFan
05-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Wow. That IS an amazing opportunity. I hope to see the entrants on the site, and not just the winner. I think a lot of the members on here should enter their art.

pl212
05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Ima give this a shot!! :D

Master Splinter
05-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Very cool. Now if I could only figure out this drawing thing.

-ms

rich
05-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Now if I could only figure out this drawing thing.

-ms

I know, me too. Somehow I think stick figure Ninja Turtles won't make the cut :lol:

Powder
05-29-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm in for sure.

Powder
06-30-2012, 02:10 PM
So, the contest is now over. No winner announced yet, though. Anyone other than me submit something?

pl212
06-30-2012, 02:15 PM
So, the contest is now over. No winner announced yet, though. Anyone other than me submit something?

I submitted a piece :D
Does anyone know when the winner will be announced?

pl212
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Guess no one from the drome won.

Roseangelo
07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Guess no one from the drome won.

I haven't seen a winner announcement...

Oh, I see it's someone named Paul Ziomek. Anyone know him?

pl212
07-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I haven't seen a winner announcement...

Oh, I see it's someone named Paul Ziomek. Anyone know him?

Here's the winners DA page:
http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=14&q=Astro+Zombies#/d55b37r

Redrumh2o
07-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Wow..that's pretty awesome!

Powder
07-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Meh, mine's better. I'm surprised THAT'S the best they could come up with.

pl212
07-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Where can we see yours? :)
I'm about to post mine on DA ina bit.

Roseangelo
07-04-2012, 03:44 PM

I'm not really blown away by it either. I really liked Tokka's. My only criticism of his, though, is that he really didn't leave the needed room at the top for the logo n stuff.

Powder
07-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Where can we see yours? :)
I'm about to post mine on DA ina bit.

Same, it will be up shortly.

I'm not really blown away by it either. I really liked Tokka's. My only criticism of his, though, is that he really didn't leave the needed room at the top for the logo n stuff.

Yeah to me it looks very corny, drawn by someone who's not much of a fan. Why, do you ask? The style of it, for one thing. Looks like they've never drawn 'em before. Plus, they're definitely at best a casual considering the OT April and trenchcoat. All they did was appeal to the ego of the shop owners by putting the building on it so big. Screw ass kissing, that's not my method of business. Plus, Hitler? The whole thing has a very 50 cent 1970's comic look to it, to me, and not in the good sense of the phrase. MEH.

Powder
07-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Here's mine (which has since been edited not to include the shop and is on my Deviantart)-

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zykh9s.png

Jester
07-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I for one prefer Pedro's:
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/186/b/c/tmnt___astro_zombies_cover_by_pedrolajud-d5643up.jpg

Slap-Happy
07-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Both of your guys' covers look really good.

If I would have done it, I would've tried to recreate the Vol. 1 #1 cover on top of the store.

Grimlock
07-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Same, it will be up shortly.

Yeah to me it looks very corny, drawn by someone who's not much of a fan. Why, do you ask? The style of it, for one thing. Looks like they've never drawn 'em before. Plus, they're definitely at best a casual considering the OT April and trenchcoat. All they did was appeal to the ego of the shop owners by putting the building on it so big. Screw ass kissing, that's not my method of business. Plus, Hitler? The whole thing has a very 50 cent 1970's comic look to it, to me, and not in the good sense of the phrase. MEH.
Someone's jelly.
I for one prefer Pedro's:
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/186/b/c/tmnt___astro_zombies_cover_by_pedrolajud-d5643up.jpg
Now that one is very nicely done.
Here's mine (which has since been edited not to include the shop and is on my Deviantart)-

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zykh9s.png

There are some issues with perspective and a few other details that detract from your piece.

Powder
07-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Someone's jelly.

Someone's stating the obvious. Anyone who entered would be. I'm not so much bitter that I lost, but rather what I lost to.
I've seen a lot of other entries on DA in the last hour or so, many that greatly surpass the winner in quality.

pl212
07-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Someone's stating the obvious. Anyone who entered would be. I'm not so much bitter that I lost, but rather what I lost to.
I've seen a lot of other entries on DA in the last hour or so, many that greatly surpass the winner in quality.

I second this!

Threat
07-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Too bad I didn't know about this sooner. I would have liked to of given it a go...

DonatelloFan
07-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Even if everyone who voted LOVED Powder's drawing, hell, I know why he didn't win. The shop wasn't predominant in the picture. They probably saw that and immediately threw yours to the side.

I won't comment on the art aspect, since I have no creative side. But the building was the problem, I think anyway.

Nice entries by the way.

Jester
07-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Was there a stipulation that the building had to be featured prominently?

Powder
07-04-2012, 09:04 PM
No, only their logo and/or sign. But still, at this point it's clear that they only wanted entries that greatly appealed to their ego.

DonatelloFan
07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah, it's pretty clear. A Retail Exclusive issue that will be shown everywhere as a limited edition? They of course want their logo all up on it.

Plasticplayhouse
07-04-2012, 10:16 PM
I second this!

I also agree. The selected pic is ok, but it does nothing for me. April looks bad. Though the building does look great. Goes to show that's all they care about. I think laser's and peddle were better.

Grimlock
07-05-2012, 08:43 AM

There's a difference between being jealous and being a downright sore loser. The winning cover to me looks very well done. I especially like the cross hatching they chose to do. It reminds me of the duo-tone artwork. You calling it ''corny'' and saying the artist is ''not much of a fan'' makes you look like an A-hole. You also call him a ''casual'' because he chose to do April in an OT inspired yellow trechcoat? Dude, the same can be said for you by the fact that you chose to go with the OT inspired colored bandanas. The better artist clearly won and the only thing you can do is keep practicing and hope you'll do better next time.

oldmanwinters
07-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Too bad the contest is over already; I was looking forward to seeing some more cool pieces. I think I've only seen about four so far (Pedro, Powder, and a couple of people who posted on Deviantart). Is there a place where I can view all submissions (or at least the winner)?

EDIT: Okay, I found Paul Ziomek's piece (one that I had already seen). That actually is my favorite one of the bunch, even though it's Fred Wolf style (not fitting for modern IDW issues) and Raph's leg looks kinda weird in the background.
http://www.tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/TMNT_AstroZombies_Paul-Ziomek.jpg
Maybe I'm just a sucker for fan art featuring OT style reporter April?

Kudos to Powder and Pedro for giving it their efforts though.

Powder
07-05-2012, 02:01 PM
You calling it ''corny'' and saying the artist is ''not much of a fan'' makes you look like an A-hole. You also call him a ''casual'' because he chose to do April in an OT inspired yellow trechcoat? Dude, the same can be said for you by the fact that you chose to go with the OT inspired colored bandanas. The better artist clearly won and the only thing you can do is keep practicing and hope you'll do better next time.

You already think I'm an asshole, that's why you follow me around the boards & make threads about me & my acquaintances here. Big bad Grimlock~ I don't care what people (you) think of me, I don't bite my tongue. That's my opinion on the cover, I have every right to state it. Yeah, I believe he's a casual for it. If he'd read the book he'd know that's got nothing to do with the series whatsoever. It's a poor choice on part of the event holders to choose a cover with content that does not accurately reflect the interiors. & the book uses OT colored bandanas you baffoon, of course I used them. If Astro Zombies had picked pl212 I wouldn't be having this conversation.

Jester
07-05-2012, 02:12 PM
But his bandanas are all red, which doesn't accurately reflect the interiors either.

Sorry, just pointing out a flaw in the logic, considering my praise earlier. :P

Powder
07-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Well in the defense of that choice, not that I agree with it, IDW allows variant artists to choose between red & rainbow at their discretion.

Jester
07-05-2012, 02:51 PM
It's alright...I fixed it. :D
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/Jesterangelo/RetroColoredPL212Entry.jpg

EDIT: Also....um...this:
Draw a full color picture of the outside of our store featuring our COMIC sign and either our name from the front angle or our oval logo from the side angle and all 4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

pl212
07-05-2012, 03:40 PM
But his bandanas are all red, which doesn't accurately reflect the interiors either.

Sorry, just pointing out a flaw in the logic, considering my praise earlier. :P

I originally submitted both versions actually (all red & colors) but chose to just upload the all red on my DA.
I was going to post the color version on here but I guess you beat me to it lol

Donnie
07-05-2012, 03:52 PM
I also agree. The selected pic is ok, but it does nothing for me. April looks bad. Though the building does look great. Goes to show that's all they care about. I think laser's and peddle were better.

I have to agree with this. The winner's piece is overall very campy, forced, and very uncharacteristic of the modern TMNT. It looks like cover art from a lackluster Mirage issue that nobody wants to read.

I much prefer Pedro's, it has class and reflects the characters as a whole: Don being contemplative, Leo keeping strict watch, Raph looking bored and broody, and Mikey is whimsical. The TMNT-specific graffiti was a great touch.

So I really think Pedro was robbed. For what it's worth, I would have taken Powder's over the entry that won.

Jester
07-05-2012, 04:52 PM
I originally submitted both versions actually (all red & colors) but chose to just upload the all red on my DA.
I was going to post the color version on here but I guess you beat me to it lol
I'd do it anyway, PL, yours is probably better. :D

I much prefer Pedro's, it has class and reflects the characters as a whole: Don being contemplative, Leo keeping strict watch, Raph looking bored and broody, and Mikey is whimsical. The TMNT-specific graffiti was a great touch.

So I really think Pedro was robbed.
Your opinion isn't in any way jaded by the fact he's your partner in fan comics, is it? :P

Donnie
07-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Your opinion isn't in any way jaded by the fact he's your partner in fan comics, is it? :P

Haha, a little bit, I suppose, yes. But what I said about how Pedro reflects the individual personalities of each Turtle through their poses seems accurate to me and the mark of a great artist and true TMNT fan.

Candy Kappa
07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
The winner picture looks, okay. But not really anything striking

Roseangelo
07-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Of the few entries I've seen, this one is my favorite:

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/599804_4508343630633_845383637_o.jpg

Donnie
07-05-2012, 06:46 PM
I like that one too, Rose. Although I think the placement of the pizza shop looks weird, I don't think the artist needed to put that there.

Powder
07-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Not sure using the Nick turtles was a great idea, but for what it's worth, I loooove that art.

oldmanwinters
07-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Okay, THIS is now my favorite! Seriously, this guy (or gal) got robbed!

pl212
07-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I'd do it anyway, PL, yours is probably better. :D
Not much of a difference but here it is:
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad265/vapidx/TMNT_Astro_Zombies_Title_COLORS.jpg

Thats a sweet lookin cover!

Jephael
07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Man those are some awesome covers! I especially like the one with the Nick Turtles. I also really like the winner's art.

Venom
08-30-2012, 11:23 PM
When the hell is this thing coming out?

DonatelloFan
08-30-2012, 11:53 PM
And are the few covers shown in this thread really the only ones out there?