PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite TMNT toy line?

Donatello19
08-25-2012, 04:59 PM
What line of TMNT toys from Playmates toys is your favorite?

rufus
08-25-2012, 05:07 PM
The Original Turtle Toy line.

TurtleTitan97
08-25-2012, 05:12 PM
The Nick TMNT toy line.

Zany Orange Dude
08-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Nick toy line for me personally, though I think the original one is cool as well!:tgrin:

Drose18
08-25-2012, 06:07 PM
2003 basic toy line. I grew up with that **** and more or less of those figures are better than or equal to the nock line. They had good articulation. Painted weapons. Good paint apps. +

pannoni1
08-25-2012, 06:37 PM
For me of course the 1988-1997 line. With over 300 figures, 75 vehicles, 22 Giant Figures, and 40 Mini-Mutant items, the original Playmates line for the Fred Wolf series will always be the most nostalgic and memorable line of all time, as it paved the way for all others to follow. Since the TMNT Classics is really with the spirit of the original rather than the new Nick line, not to mention all of the collectors' items assciated with it, it further proves how much the original line holds up today, even though the Nick line has a better Sewer Lair. The 4kids line may be getting the middle child syndrome though, but it was decent for its era. If NECA was larger, that may have gotten my vote.

Shogun26
08-25-2012, 11:46 PM
For me of course the 1988-1997 line. With over 300 figures, 75 vehicles, 22 Giant Figures, and 40 Mini-Mutant items, the original Playmates line for the Fred Wolf series will always be the most nostalgic and memorable line of all time, as it paved the way for all others to follow. Since the TMNT Classics is really with the spirit of the original rather than the new Nick line, not to mention all of the collectors' items assciated with it, it further proves how much the original line holds up today, even though the Nick line has a better Sewer Lair. The 4kids line may be getting the middle child syndrome though, but it was decent for its era. If NECA was larger, that may have gotten my vote.

So well said and I concur.

Samhain
08-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Neca, hands down.

spiderpumpkin
08-26-2012, 12:34 AM
1988-1996 original figures.

Jester
08-26-2012, 12:51 AM
I voted NECA, but if we're going only on Playmates, the classic line is it, since it's what i grew up with and have the most warm fuzzy memories of.

Weirdo-Warrior
08-26-2012, 04:12 AM
The original one, no match.

plasticturtle
08-26-2012, 12:13 PM
The originals will always be my favorite. Nothing else could ever begin to even come close.

Slade
08-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Goin with Neca on this one. I love the original look and the fact that they are more of an adult collector figure than just a basic toy. The 2k12 Classic line is nice as well, but if I had to pick a second fav, right now I'd go with the Nick line. I think it's the design of the turtles and the better articulation than the 88 line.

Victorsaurus
08-27-2012, 09:27 AM
The Nick version.

TheCanadiandrome
08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Original Toyline FTW!

Zulithe
08-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Well I was about 8yo when TMNT first came on TV and the toys were huge part of my childhood. I can't put a value on the amount I got out of the original first and second wave of toys. Countless, countless hours of imagining my own stories. And I love the look of them.

But to be objective about it I honestly feel the Nick toy line -- the basic figures -- are probably the best turtles I have ever owned. Yes there are some things I would change about the supporting characters in the first Nick wave, but the OT toys were not perfect either.

I am happy that I get to experience both of these great lines, and I hope that the Nick show lives up to my expectations (I promise they are not that high... especially after the last 10 years of Turtles stuff being *mostly* [but not all] mediocre)

Even the OT was not a very strong series. If you watch it now it gets very repetitive especially in the later seasons. It has some great episodes but it's clearly designed to entertain kids for a half hour a day without having a lot of depth in its storyline. From what I have seen of the Nick show I think they are trying a lot harder, and they have to because expectations are way higher these days. I think we are all going to be pleased as long as you just sit back and enjoy the ride without disliking things simply because they differ from the OT or the comics.

Shreddhead
08-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Without a doubt its the original playmates line. The nostalgia factor is just way too high. They could release another 2 waves of Classic figures ( id kill for that!) but the nostalgia i have for the original line still would make em my favs.

koenne
08-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Original all the way!!!
Cowabunga!

Donatello19
08-27-2012, 12:55 PM
looks like no one likes the 2007 line, or the next mutation line either

Zulithe
08-27-2012, 01:30 PM
I was kinda tuned out when the 2007 figures hit (though I did like the movie). IMO they are too large... maybe it's just me. I'm sure they are large enough to where they scale nicely with Marvel Legends or other toy lines, but to me TMNT has its own scale and I kinda like it that way.

Oh and honestly... as time goes by I feel the 2007 movie just doesn't sit very well with me. it was a really poor story for 'rebooting' the turtles, it had a chance to start a fire and it instead focused on a boring set of villains that I can't even remember wtf they were.

Mr._Mutant_Man
08-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Original. I like how the first run of figures looked like a blend of the Mirage turtles (the white eyes and the attitude), with the colors from the cartoon. Plus I'm of course going to side with the toys I grew up playing with.

I know it's not necessarily the toy designer's fault with the 2007 toys, because they are based on the movie's designs, but I'm not the biggest fan of those designs. Especially April. She's just too darn skinny. 2007 movie April is in some desperate need of some pizzas.

Donnie
08-27-2012, 09:18 PM
I went with the original line for nostalgia's sake, but the NECA figures are *thee* definitive figures. Nick's line is fantastic too, though.

Bauer536
08-27-2012, 10:05 PM
:tanime:I can't decide. The Nickelodeon turtles are my favorites now, but I did love the 2k7 film figures a lot.:tgrin: Their Shredder was at least a lot more poseable.:tlol: Plus, the NECA TMNT rocked!:tcool:

Powder
08-28-2012, 04:18 AM
I voted for the original line. I mean, really, it's no contest. The line is freakin' huge, so many characters & variants. That's a vote going to personal favorites like Ray Fillet, Dirtbag, Mutagen Man, & fan favorites like the Movie Star & Toon turtles. Storage Shell turtles, 12 inch turtles, shogun turtles, so much cool sh*t.

The Next Mutation line, can't say much about it, but I think it was really cool and underrated. Nice original sculpts, durable rubber limbs, overall pretty neat.

2003 spawned a dope series. Love those original sculpts. The lack of articulation & overflow of uninspired variants takes points away, though.

2007 line I like a lot for scale and relative film accuracy, but there's nothing special about it.

The original Mirage turtles are my favorite turtles in the multiverse, so I love the NECA series, but lets face it, it's the same figure 4 times over with a new head. Not worth the vote at all. Plus we merely got April as a secondary figure. None of the rad guys. Shame on you, NECA. Give us the goodies.

Love the hell out of the Nick scupts, they're unique as hell and so rad to look at & pose. Once the line is fleshed out more, it will have great potential.

Walkabout
08-28-2012, 04:36 AM
The originals will always be my favorite. Nothing else could ever begin to even come close.

Indeed.

This.

stapeanc
09-11-2012, 01:24 AM
The Next Mutation, basically because they were part of the Crossover PR Episodes.

Candy Kappa
09-11-2012, 02:07 AM
The original toyline. Although, I hope the Nick line will be just as amazing with the various characters

Mzx10484
09-11-2012, 04:41 AM
The original toyline, I grew up with the cartoons and the figures which belong to it.

Godzilla
09-11-2012, 08:27 AM
The original toy line.

It's the only one that I've seriously collected thru the years.

tmnt transformer
09-11-2012, 08:34 AM
All of them!

Veedubguy83
09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Original line for sure, I can't imagine my childhood without them... Nick line is in a close second!!!

Wes
09-12-2012, 06:28 PM
As much as I like certain offerings from many of the others, none of them come close to the original TMNT line. It was just so expansive, the sculpts were and remain among the neatest and most detailed of any toyline... and so many of the figures were just weird and novel. Universal Monsters and Star Trek Turtles? Turtles with birthday and military themes? (SUPERMUTANT TURTLES?!) Tons of figures with wild and play-enhancing action features in addition to the normal versions? It was just crazy awesome.

It was also consistent, which is something the 2K3+ Playmates lines have lacked. One might have felt that a particular sculpt was more detailed than another or a particular action feature was more effective, but every figure had more/less the same poseability and level of painted detail -- so you didn't have instances like the later Playmates lines where the Turtles figures were so markedly superior to every other release in the line. The NECA figures were consistent, but that's hardly an impressive feat since they all used the same body. :P

Now, it's possible that the Nick line will eventually grow to the extent that the vintage line did, but I highly doubt it -- as I doubt that we'll ever see offerings from it as unique as what we got back in the 90s. I'd love to be proven wrong on that front, but until that day I have to cast my vote for the vintage line.

(Which isn't to say that all of my favorite figures come from the vintage line -- I love the NECA Turtles, and the new Nick figures are probably my favorite standard versions of the boys yet -- but the vintage TMNT line is still easily the best line of the aforementioned choices. I'd even argue that it's one of the best toylines ever.)

TheShredHead
09-12-2012, 07:03 PM
I went with the original line, but all NECA had to do to steal my vote was release series 2.

shezcrafti
09-13-2012, 07:24 AM
NECA, with the Nickelodeon line following very closely.

Donatello19
09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
nobody likes the 2007 line? it didn't even get 1 vote...

TheShredHead
09-13-2012, 08:06 PM
nobody likes the 2007 line? it didn't even get 1 vote...

I liked that line. I'm one of the few who really liked the character design of the Turtles for that line and movie. But I pretty much ONLY liked the Turtles and not the secondary characters. Anyway, though I liked them, they definitely weren't my favorite.

Doomsword
09-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Easily the original toy line, but a lot of that is because I grew up with it. I'm quite fond of most of the toy lines.