PDA

View Full Version : Sonic the Hedgehog

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Donatello19
08-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Is anyone here a fan of Sonic the hedgehog? As you can tell by my signature, i'm a fan! so this thread is to discuss anything and everything about Sonic the hedgehog!

The Stryker
08-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Man. Sonic sure went to sh*t when Sonic Adventure came out.

Ninjinister
08-26-2012, 06:24 PM

All those chili dogs caught up to him.

TMNT_Guy
08-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Eh, to each his own. The Sonic Adventure series is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be(Voice Acting and Big the Cat aside). The only Sonic games I ever regretted playing are Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Blast, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. It's hard for a franchise thats lasted over 20 years to crank out gold after gold. Even good ol' Mario has had some stinkers(Mario Golf 64, Mario's Time Machine, etc).

Favorite 2D Sonic game is either Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System) or Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Favorite 3D Sonic game is Sonic Adventure 2 with Sonic Colors very closely behind.

Favorite Spin-Off game is Sonic Spinball with Sonic Riders a close second.

Favorite Animated Series are Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM), Sonic the Hedgehog the Movie and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Both Sonic Underground and Sonic X were crap. Yes, both the original and the dub. I did like "Amy on the Beach" / "The Last Resort" however.

I haven't had a chance to play Sonic Generations yet because I don't have a 360 anymore, but it looks amazing. Anyone else excited for Sonic's appearance in Wreck-It Ralph? He even apparently has a line in the film unlike Eggman who just has a cameo.

Zany Orange Dude
08-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Oh yeah I am a Sonic fan! That's actually the series I have been a fan of for the longest! I think Sonic is finally actually starting to get back on his feet again with good games! I enjoyed Unleashed ( with the exception of the million of werehog levels) and Generations.

Cure
08-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Even good ol' Mario has had some stinkers(Mario Golf 64, Mario's Time Machine, etc).

You cannot seriously count those as main Mario games.

oldmanwinters
08-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Didn't we already have an "Anybody like Sonic the Hedgehog" thread that went on for a long time and then eventually got locked because people just can't behave themselves when talking about the ol' Blue Blur?

Eh, nevermind. Ya'll have fun.

The Stryker
08-26-2012, 08:51 PM
It's hard for a franchise thats lasted over 20 years to crank out gold after gold. Even good ol' Mario has had some stinkers(Mario Golf 64, Mario's Time Machine ,etc)

Haaaaaaaaaaa. You're joking right?

Shark_Blade
08-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Sonic > Mario.

And I love every Sonic games, flaws and all. The new ones are great to be honest : Sonic Generations, Sonic 4 Ep. 2, etc.

Jester
08-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Sonic > Mario.
Say what now? Mario owns all....

TMNT_Guy
08-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Say what now? Mario owns all....
They both own.
http://gaygamer.net/sonicmario.bmp
http://earthwormjimfan.deviantart.com/art/Mario-and-Sonic-Unite-192147840

Eiko
08-27-2012, 03:25 AM
I love Sonic the hedgehog i dont have many sonic merchandise managed to pick up a Sonic cap few weeks ago well i read his comics which i have over 200 been reading from the very first issue Sonic 2 on the mega drive is my fav Sonic game. fav Character would have to be King Elias from the comics.

The Stryker
08-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Sonic > Mario.

And I love every Sonic games, flaws and all. The new ones are great to be honest : Sonic Generations, Sonic 4 Ep. 2, etc.

Who the hell was even talking about that 'better than' nonsense?

I'm just saying its crazy to compare Sonic's near decade of below mediocre offerings to fringe Mario games like Mario goddamn Golf.

It's like saying Pokemon is a bad series because of Hey You Pikachu.

Samhain
08-27-2012, 09:29 AM
I have some nostalgia for Sonic. Sonic 2 was one of my favorite games on the Genesis. As far as modern games, I really did enjoy Sonic:Colors. I have followed the Archie series since 1996.

It's like saying Pokemon is a bad series because of Hey You Pikachu.

Hey now, I enjoyed that back in the day.

Darth Knuckles
08-27-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan! It's the only series that I could possibly love more than the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Sonic is the reason I got into video games and I really like Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic Spinball. But I have still really cared for Sonic over the years through the Archie Comic Series. My favorite character however is Knuckles. And actually two days ago I just watched some episodes from season 2 of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. I prefer SatAM though. So yeah big Sonic fan here! :D

Zany Orange Dude
08-27-2012, 03:18 PM
He is the reason I got into video games as well, Darth Knuckles.

Victorsaurus
08-27-2012, 04:03 PM
I have loved Sonic since the Start.

I've been buying the Archie Comics since issue 20 something, but then I subscribed starting with #127 (I recieved #240 today).
I'm collecting the Jazwarez 3 inch figures. I have the complete STH (SATAM) series on DVD, a few GC/GBA games, some random items and a few tees.

I want the TCG/CCG and I miss the ice cream.

TurtleTitan97
08-27-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm a big fan of Sonic. My favorite game is Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

Darth Knuckles
08-27-2012, 10:31 PM
He is the reason I got into video games as well, Darth Knuckles.

Very cool! What are your favorite Sonic games Zany Orange Dude?

Leo656
08-28-2012, 02:44 AM
I guess I'm a pretty big Sonic fan, although more the SatAM series and the comics than the games. I have all the Sonic/Knuckles/Sonic X/Sonic Universe comics until like 2 years ago. I do like most of the games a lot but I didn't have a Genesis as a kid so most of my Sonic gaming has been on various Nintendo systems through various Collections and remakes.

I will say flat-out that Sonic Adventure was, for its time, a great game and still holds up well next to most of its peers of that era. Tweak the camera a little and tighten up the collison detection and it's fine, people cry too much about anything that isn't "perfect" (as if even Mario64's camera was "perfect"). It was a little meandering and stuffed with unnecessary characters/sidequests to pad the length, but eh, I had a lot of fun with it, and it's always fun whenever I go back to it. SA2 wasn't as good, but I didn't think that was bad either. I even thought Heroes was something neat they tried, I get why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea but it made sense to me, if you HAVE to cram a Sonic game with characters that aren't Sonic, it at least made sense to have a team dynamic rather than force you to spend 2 hours playing solo as someone you don't care about just to get the "Good" ending.

Some people just won't accept Sonic in a 3D game, and I sort of get that, but I don't think gameplay issues hurt the franchise as much as Sega going crazy with having ten new non-Sonic characters in every game just to sell more toys. I'm glad to see a 2D revival of sorts, but I'm one of those people who thinks the 2D and 3D games can co-exist, as they each have their really good and really bad parts.

Speaking of, I even struggled through Secret Rings, and I'm not gonna lie, I *did* have some fun with it. Some. Although it's impossible to do so until 15 hours into it when you've unlocked basic skills like, say, JUMPING. There's a story and framework there that would've been better served by better controls.

Worst Sonic game I've played was probably the 2006 one; I at least finished Secret Rings, the controls in 2006 Sonic were so bad I gave up a few hours into it. I still plan to go back, though. Sadistic, I know. Blast kinda sucked, too, but at least it was playable. Haven't played Shadow yet, I've heard nothing but bad things. I don't really have a favorite, they're (mostly) all good in different ways.

pannoni1
08-28-2012, 06:07 AM
I'm just a casual, and was much more into it in the '90s and have only occassionaly played a game for nostalgia, though I wouldn't mind checking out newer stuff, since I sort of stopped following Sonic thoroughly around Sonic Adventure 2. I did watch the original cartoon and loved the theme song (He's got an attitude!) It did baffle me that there were no emeralds in that series and that the ring's role was sort of reduced to that of an emerald, often as a single power ring. I do remember a couple of zones from the games being incorporated into the series. But my favorite game for awhile was Sonic Spinball because it was the first real pinball game I had on any game cartirdge, and given that there were only four levels, just didn't seem long enough. There's just so many great pop culture franchises to cover that I just can't see everything, but I can tell you my first Sonic memory was going over to my friend's house in 1992 when I didn't have any Sega products yet and would always get bummed that it would be time to go home for dinner, usually sometime toward the end of Marble Zone. I really enjoyed the graphics at the time compared to the NES I had.

Cure
08-28-2012, 06:46 AM
(as if even Mario64's camera was "perfect")

Yeah, it's not like that was one of the first games of its kind or anything. Jesus Christ.

Leo656
08-28-2012, 06:57 AM
To be fair I adore that game. As you said, it was among the very first of its kind, and that said, the fact the camera works as well as it does is pretty astonishing in hindsight. I just felt like using it as a reference point since one of the biggest gripes people had with SA was the camera, which wasn't perfect by any means, BUT SM64's wasn't perfect, either. In both cases I'd consider it a very minor "flaw".

I don't think many people really appreciate how difficult it must be to implement a decent camera system in a 3D action game.

The Stryker
08-28-2012, 07:04 AM
I don't dislike newer Sonic games because I can't accept that they're in 3D. I dislike them because they suck.

Bad control, bad new characters and horrible level design.

Hell, even when they went back to side scrolling with Sonic 4 it was completely devoid of anything that made the originals decent.

I like SA but that's the game where 'the fall' started in full.

Leo656
08-28-2012, 07:08 AM
They definitely lost focus after that one.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
08-28-2012, 07:25 AM
I only played Sonic 1-3.

TMNT_Guy
08-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Anyone else play the fangame Sonic Before the Sequel? It's surprisingly really well done and a blast to play. Anyone whos a fan of classic Sonic should give it a go.

Download Link: https://sites.google.com/site/sonicbts/
3bIayUTiwc4

tmntpower1988
08-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah I am a Sonic fan! That's actually the series I have been a fan of for the longest! I think Sonic is finally actually starting to get back on his feet again with good games! I enjoyed Unleashed ( with the exception of the million of werehog levels) and Generations.

Generations was the best Sonic game I've played in years, got it for the PS3. Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Adventure 2 for the Gamecube are fun too imo. Never played Colors or Unleashed yet, must buy them games some time.

Hannah
09-02-2012, 02:10 PM
I think Sonic Adventure is an incredible game. I always have fun playing it. Also I think voice acting in video games was pretty ****** for most games at that time.

After that though the games have gotten steadily worse and worse.

I liked Sonic Generations, but the story line was stupid and the voice acting was literally cringe-inducingly bad.

XERO
09-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I think out of all the 3D Sonic games, Sonic Colors is the most overlooked.

When it comes to the 2D, there's no question: Gotta go with Sonic 3&K.

Cure
09-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I tried getting into Sonic CD since it came out on XBLA. I don't see how some can call it the best Sonic joint ever. It's so f*cking sh*tty.

Eiko
09-03-2012, 03:01 AM
I tried getting into Sonic CD since it came out on XBLA. I don't see how some can call it the best Sonic joint ever. It's so f*cking sh*tty.

Because back when it was first released it was. It looks bad and plays bad now because your so use to all the graphics and gamepay we have today.

Cure
09-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Because back when it was first released it was. It looks bad and plays bad now because your so use to all the graphics and gamepay we have today.

What the f*ck are you talking about? That doesn't have anything to do with it. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is a way better game than CD and that came out BEFORE CD. Stop being such a presumptuous dumbass.

Darth Knuckles
09-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Sonic 3 and Knuckles is a way better game than CD and that came out BEFORE CD.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but Sonic CD came out before Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Sonic CD came out on September 23, 1993 in Japan (11/19/93 in the U.S.), Sonic the Hedgehog 3 came out in the U.S. on January 23, 1994, and Sonic & Knuckles came out in the U.S. on October 17, 1994.

Cure
09-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Oh, OK. Still, my point stands. Sonic CD sucks.

Ninjinister
09-03-2012, 03:06 PM

Wait what? In which way?

Cure
09-03-2012, 03:31 PM
It's hard to explain. The level design is just atrocious. I guess like, instead of being mostly horizontal like most Sonic games, they're designed like squares. If that makes sense. It's got a lot of stop and go platforming that isn't as well implemented and the time travel sh*t is dumb. It's all dumb. I got annoyed quickly.

psych23232323
09-04-2012, 03:41 AM
I have loved Sonic the Hedgehog since I was a kid.

I've played his games, I've seen his cartoon shows, his anime, I've read his comics and am still subscribed to Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe from Archie Comics, he was a really cool character that was a huge influence in my life.

He was my reason to buy and keep my Nintendo Wii. Originally it was for Super Smash Bros Brawl but I only bought that because Sonic was introduced as a character.

The Stryker
09-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Oh my god yeah.

I bought that for $1.50 and still feel ripped off. Awful awful level design. 'Hey heres this time travel mechanic. You hit the thing and go fast to activate it. GOOD LUCK FINDING A LONG ENOUGH STRETCH OF LAND THAT DOESN'T THROW YOU OFF INTO NOTHING!'

Leo656
09-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Hmm, I do think that bugged me about that game. I've played Sonic CD probably the least, and I think maybe it was the levels I didn't like about it. They didn't seem as organic as Sonic 1 and 2. I grew up reading about how awesome it was, when I did finally play it I liked it but it definitely underwhelmed me.

I don't think it was awful but now that I think of it, there's a good chance it wasn't finished. There was huge pressure back then to pump out a new Sonic game every year or so, plus they needed a Sonic game to push the Sega CD no one bought, so if anything, they probably tried to do a lot of stuff in a short bit of time and didn't get to perfect any of it. I think nostalgia has brightened that one up for most people.

TMNT_Guy
09-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I tried getting into Sonic CD since it came out on XBLA. I don't see how some can call it the best Sonic
Part of what makes Sonic CD so loved by many is the level design. Most Sonic games are about simply getting to the goal, where Sonic CD encourages exploration. Part of the fun is memorizing which route is the fastest and safest or trying different ways to activate the time travel. Every level always has at least one area with two springs that bounce you back and fourth, making the time travel mechanic effortless to use. It's also unique for offering two ways to get the good ending. You could either travel back into the past and destroy the robot generator in each Zone or you could simply go for the Time Stones.

I can easily see why some people can call it "horrible level design". Sonic CD requries more thought then "I get Sonic to end!" to be properly appreciated.

Cure
09-04-2012, 09:20 PM
No. Exploration is done in other Sonic games, but better. There isn't ever just one path in any level, so what you're saying is invalid.

TMNT_Guy
09-04-2012, 09:27 PM
When did I ever say there was one path?

Cure
09-04-2012, 09:32 PM
You didn't? I was saying that to reiterate the fact that exploration is encouraged in other Sonic games.

TMNT_Guy
09-04-2012, 09:39 PM
It is, especially with the Special Stage rings in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I'm just saying that Sonic CD encourages it more, what with the robot generators and time travel.

The Stryker
09-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Part of what makes Sonic CD so loved by many is the level design. Most Sonic games are about simply getting to the goal, where Sonic CD encourages exploration. Part of the fun is memorizing which route is the fastest and safest or trying different ways to activate the time travel. Every level always has at least one area with two springs that bounce you back and fourth, making the time travel mechanic effortless to use. It's also unique for offering two ways to get the good ending. You could either travel back into the past and destroy the robot generator in each Zone or you could simply go for the Time Stones.

I can easily see why some people can call it "horrible level design". Sonic CD requries more thought then "I get Sonic to end!" to be properly appreciated.

Oh here we go. 'You didn't get iiiit'.

The whole thing with Sonic is the speed and the very specific kind of platforming that brought along. You slap that in clunky levels and you eliminate both. The level design IS clunky, you ever look at a pulled out map of one? It's a nightmare of random blocks and ramps to nowhere.

You can say it encourages exploration all you want but I'm not usually encouraged to do anything when the tools I am given are shoddy.

I'd rather play those stupid Knuckles treasure hunt sections from SA2...and I hate those!

TMNT_Guy
09-05-2012, 01:26 AM
To each his own. I gave my opinion and you gave yours.

Leo656
09-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Those Knuckles levels from SA2 really were pretty bad, I forgot about those.

The Stryker
09-05-2012, 05:58 AM
To each his own. I gave my opinion and you gave yours.

Actually no. I gave my opinion and you came in and implied that I didn't 'get it', bit of a difference.

The last boss in Sonic Generations is also terrible.

TMNT_Guy
09-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Actually no. I gave my opinion and you came in and implied that I didn't 'get it'I can easily see why some people can call it "horrible level design". Please excuse others for having different opinions. Let's keep this peaceful.

In other news...official human Sonic manga and anime coming out.

What.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/09/04/jp-anime-with-humanized-sonic-greenlit/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aoi_Sekai_no_Ch%C5%ABshin_de
http://www.tssznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/GEAR_SONIC.jpg

XERO
09-06-2012, 07:53 PM
The last boss in Sonic Generations is also terrible.

No kidding. You actually have to HOPE to hit that bastard.

Logan
09-06-2012, 08:10 PM
In other news...official human Sonic manga and anime coming out.

It's actually been done before, albeit in some hentai. Sonic CulT has a couple of sample pages to view. He looks more like Sonic, though.

Hannah
09-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Aaaand there goes the thread.

Logan
09-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Only if it continues down that path, which I'm not interested in doing.

Has anyone ever seen the Sonic anime? I think it's the same animation team that did the cut scenes in Sonic CD. Anyway, I think it's a fun watch. I don't like the voices and I haven't gotten the chance to watch it in Japanese yet. I definitely think it represents the games better than anything DiC put out.

TMNT_Guy
09-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I loved it, even the voices. The soundtrack was just epic.

Someone remade the classic Sonic Vs. Metal Sonic scene from the movie in CG.
wWu0MnOzah4

DarkLightDragon
09-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Has anyone ever seen the Sonic anime? I think it's the same animation team that didn't the cut scenes in Sonic CD. Anyway, I think it's a fun watch. I don't like the voices and I haven't gotten the chance to watch it in Japanese yet. I definitely think it represents the games better than anything DiC put out.

You mean Sonic OVA? I loved that movie as a kid and still do.

I kind of agree English voice actors are rather sketchy (Tails sounding like he has a cold) but I think it adds a certain charm to fairly light-hearted tone the film has and is still leagues better than 06' could manage.

TurtleTitan97
09-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Has anyone ever seen the Sonic anime? I think it's the same animation team that didn't the cut scenes in Sonic CD. Anyway, I think it's a fun watch. I don't like the voices and I haven't gotten the chance to watch it in Japanese yet. I definitely think it represents the games better than anything DiC put out.

I remeber seeing that awhile back. I thought it was pretty nice.

dragonside
09-08-2012, 09:52 AM
man i love Sonic, its one of the first cartoons i remember watching as a kid. late at night, when my parents were asleep.

anyhooo, i've been collecting the dvds of sonic cartoons and also the video games. .. only exception to this is sonic x... and the sonic ova, those are like... ridiculously priced.

HeavyMetalCarebear
09-10-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan! It's the only series that I could possibly love more than the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Sonic is the reason I got into video games and I really like Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic Spinball. But I have still really cared for Sonic over the years through the Archie Comic Series. My favorite character however is Knuckles. And actually two days ago I just watched some episodes from season 2 of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. I prefer SatAM though. So yeah big Sonic fan here! :D

Sweet, Knuckles and Shadow are my favorites.

I still play the classics now and then, favorite being Sonic 2. I really disliked Sonic 3D Blast *shiver*

The thing I like the most about Sonic games is that they are fast paced.

Memphis
09-11-2012, 12:51 AM
I'll end this thread here...

Sonic R or bust.

Roland
09-15-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm a Sonic Fan too. I got Sonic, Tails and Knuckles action figures (SonicX). I got the Sonic mega collection plus game. I played sonic 1 , 2 , 3 and Sonic & Knuckles and sonic 1 and 2 on the Sega Master System. Also played Sonic & Sega all stars racing. Watch some Sonic episodes, Sonic underground and Sonic the hedgehog (the one with the freedom fighters and the one with scratch and grounder).

miru
09-27-2012, 04:47 PM
I love this series too, including the newer characters, as you can see by my icon. I hope they make em playable again. Except Silver. i hate that guy.

Roland
09-29-2012, 02:38 PM
I love this series too, including the newer characters, as you can see by my icon. I hope they make em playable again. Except Silver. i hate that guy.
Yes that would be cool.

miru
11-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Here's what I want to see in the next Sonic game:

Blaze playable again.

Much darker tone than Generations.

Sonic angsting over Chip.

Sonic revealed to have Dark Gaia sealed inside him.

Sonic VS Robotnik no machines

Hyper sonic back and redesigned as a beefcake

Blaze calling Sonic "Sonikku"

A romantic duet between knuckles and Rouge, reprised as a slow ballad over the credits

Rouge's feelings for Knuckles to be genuine

Fang and the Babylon Rogues to team up.

Sonic having a nightmare about Blaze being roboticized

Roland
11-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Miru looks like you like Sonic and Blaze. There is a fanfic on fanfiction.net with the title "Sonic the cat" which you might enjoy. It is quite funny.

Logan
11-20-2012, 07:39 PM
I just played Sonic Colors for the first time last Friday. I really, really, enjoyed it. It's still lacking in level design, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I haven't played Generations yet, but I'm told it's quite good.

Another thing: Does anyone else feel like Nintendo and Sega are totally wasting a good opportunity with the Mario & Sonic crossover games? No more sports games, PLEASE! I want a classic platformer featuring both characters teaming up for some exploring and adapting to each others' environments.

Think of how cool it would be it see how Sonic's gameplay would change when picking up a fire flower or Mario obtaining the Chaos Emeralds. The possibilities are overwhelming.

The Stryker
11-20-2012, 07:49 PM
I just played Sonic Colors for the first time last Friday. I really, really, enjoyed it. It's still lacking in level design, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I haven't played Generations yet, but I'm told it's quite good.

Another thing: Does anyone else feel like Nintendo and Sega are totally wasting a good opportunity with the Mario & Sonic crossover games? No more sports games, PLEASE! I want a classic platformer featuring both characters teaming up for some exploring and adapting to each others' environments.

Think of how cool it would be it see how Sonic's gameplay would change when picking up a fire flower or Mario obtaining the Chaos Emeralds. The possibilities are overwhelming.

Actually I think you just posted the only thing and even that's not that interesting.

Mario with Chaos Emeralds? Mario with a star.

And I don't think any sane person would want a sonic style anime lite story involving Mario characters.

Cure
11-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Such awful ideas in this thread.

Logan
11-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Actually I think you just posted the only thing and even that's not that interesting.

Mario with Chaos Emeralds? Mario with a star.

And I don't think any sane person would want a sonic style anime lite story involving Mario characters.

Your post is so incoherent I honestly can't make heads or tails out of what you are even saying. Elaborate please. Preferably with complete sentences.

Correction: I can understand the last sentence. It doesn't have to be an "anime lite" story. There are other possibilities. And I happen to know quite a few people that agree with me that Mario and Sonic should have a platformer together.

The Stryker
11-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Your post is so incoherent I honestly can't make heads or tails out of what you are even saying. Elaborate please. Preferably with complete sentences.

Correction: I can understand the last sentence. It doesn't have to be an "anime lite" story. There are other possibilities. And I happen to know quite a few people that agree with me that Mario and Sonic should have a platformer together.

Nice try making a joke about how my post was incoherent. Too bad you responded to everything I said.

What are these possibilities you speak of? If they're so 'overwhelming' maybe you can put out a few of them that aren't fanboy fantasies. Just cramming them together in a platformer isn't really appealing. Both franchises are built very differently and I don't think "Mario in Green Hill Zone" would be enough to sell anything much less work on a gameplay level.

Logan
12-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Aren't they all fanboy fantasies? The very idea of Sonic and Mario having a game together at all is a dream come true. Back in the 90s if you'd wanted a game like that you'd be told that it would never happen. Solid Snake in a Super Smash Bros. game is another example. That was the last thing I ever would've expected to happen but I'm sure someone out there had pipe dreams about it.

You're entitled to your opinion and it's okay if you don't like these ideas. But please don't be a jerk about it.

miru
12-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Big the Cat is now officially retired (skip to 2:00:00) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_fL0NRDYjw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Icebot
12-30-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm a huge Sonic Fan. I've played and mastered almost every one of their games from the 90's.

tmntpower1988
02-03-2013, 03:40 PM
I love Sonic. Currently watching AOSTH. My favorite Sonic game for the Genesis is Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Sonic Generations is awesome too.

Leo656
02-06-2013, 05:01 AM
I just started playing Generations like a couple weeks ago after getting it for Christmas, I love it. Some of the levels are frustrating but absolutely nothing a little trial-and-error doesn't fix. I was having a blast with it until I set it aside for a bit to play WWE '13.

miru
02-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Sonic TMNT Comparison

Sonic= Leonardo
Tails= Donatello
Knuckles= Raphael
Amy= Michaelangelo
Pickle= Splinter
Robotnik= Shredder
Orbot and Cubot= Bebop and Rocksteady
Cream = April O'Neil
Blaze= Venus
Chaotix= Mighty Mutanimals
Metal Sonic= Slash
Shadow= Casey Jones
Rouge= Ninjara
Silver= Carter
Mephiles= Lord Dregg
Emrel= Metalhead
Babylon Rogues= Purple Dragons
Mighty= Ray Fillet
Ray= Wingnut
Espio= Mondo Gecko
Charmy= Screwloose
Vector= Leatherhead
Shade= Karai
Omega= Fugitoid
Black Doom= Titanus
Tikal= Radical

Wildcat
02-18-2013, 02:29 AM
Oh where to begin? Someone mentioned theyre a bigger Sonic fan than TMNT. Me too. I love the turtles but my love for Sonic is on a whole different level than anything else.

Not gonna get into the games, thats a given. I have most and love most. (love the Sonic/Mario crossover idea). I collect the toys and stuff too.

However, for me Sonic is part of my life. I know he's not real but I mean as a heroic figure and his overall character, in my mind he is real.

When I listen to the game music and (even some non-game music) I feel a sense a wonder and inspiration when associated with Sonic.

Some might think all this sounds crazy and No, I do not worship him. Its just always been a part of me. Something from my childhood Ive always looked up to.

Testudo
02-18-2013, 04:42 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Mega Drive trilogy (and Sonic R), but as someone else already said, they "ruined" the franchise with Sonic Adventure. In my opinion, the only acceptable recent game was Generations.

Half Shell
03-05-2013, 04:16 PM
It's one of my favorite characters of all times. I like almost every single game made for him. Lets just wait they keep him nice and fast, ha,ha!

miru
03-10-2013, 10:04 PM
My ideal roster:

Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Amy

Rouge

Blaze

Cream

Tikal

Marine

Shade

Shahra

Merlina

Honey

Tiara

Wave

Lumina

Donatello19
03-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Has anyone gotten Sonic Dash for their iPods, iPhones or iPads? I got it recently and it's a really fun game.

Allio
03-11-2013, 03:24 PM
I like the games, but I enjoy reading the comics more

Roland
03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
I like the games, but I enjoy reading the comics more

I like both. It's a bit hard to choose just one. Too many good memories. I have 2 Fleetway's Sonic the comic and one Archie comic Sonic the hedgehog.

Luke795
05-10-2013, 12:14 AM
This is also one of my favorite video games series besides Mario, Zelda, and Mega Man. I also only like the 2D games better than the 3D games.

Shark_Blade
05-20-2013, 02:19 AM
Has anyone tried Sonic 1 for iOS or Android? :D

http://imageshack.us/a/img843/9391/nd8ecwj3i2.jpg

Vhs2eJxM5Q4

Facts you need to know:

- It's got Elemental shields

- Has Super Sonic (when you collect all chaos emeralds!)

- He plays faster and smoother than ever. Upgraded to 60 frames persecond!

- Added spin dash, woohoo! You can turn on/off the spin dash.

- You can play as Tails and Knux, or Sonic +Tails.

- You can hide the control buttons via the opacity. :3 <3

- Tails can carry Sonic while flying like in S3&Knux

---------------------

I've finally finished the game. Man, being the first game, was this game hard or what? :eek:

And I LOL'ed when I unlocked Tails. :tlol:

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/9/96/S1Tails.png (http://www.google.com.my/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=W9MRT_7I_MtJnM&tbnid=LnZdQFXUs3yUnM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Finfo.sonicretro.org%2FTails_in_So nic_the_Hedgehog&ei=y7KYUffXIsqUrAehnIHIDQ&psig=AFQjCNHm-F7bjDBo9T1p9WjZPesCXL_Xjw&ust=1369048139670677)

Ninjinister
05-20-2013, 09:51 AM
I reaaaaallly wish that they would have given the Sonic port on 3DS all of those features. To charge more for less s**t is retarded.

Luke795
05-26-2013, 04:01 PM
I also like the 3 DIC Sonic The Hedgehog cartoons.

Ninjinister
05-26-2013, 04:08 PM
I also like the 3 DIC Sonic The Hedgehog.

I also like the 3 DIC Super Mario Bros. cartoons.

I also like the DIC Legend Of Zelda cartoon.

Something tells me you like DIC.

05-26-2013, 04:33 PM
That's pretty gross, dude.

Cure
05-26-2013, 08:30 PM
I get it. Like penis.

Jester
05-26-2013, 08:42 PM
I also like the 3 DIC Sonic The Hedgehog.I also like the 3 DIC Super Mario Bros. cartoons.
I also like the DIC Legend Of Zelda cartoon.

Something tells me you like DIC.
4XMr3QO2Sbc

chrisdude
05-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Has anyone tried Sonic 1 for iOS or Android? :D
I have all the iOS Sonic games, but I had no idea it had an update like this. :teek::teek:

EDIT_____
It's really nice to get this update. Especially after Sonic CD came out and played so much better. Even without buttons, this is better experience than the DS port. *gag*

Ninjinister
05-27-2013, 12:08 AM
I have all the iOS Sonic games, but I had no idea it had an update like this. :teek::teek:

EDIT_____
It's really nice to get this update. Especially after Sonic CD came out and played so much better. Even without buttons, this is better experience than the DS port. *gag*

Now what was wrong with the DS version? Only portable versions of S1 I've seen that was bad were GBA and the first release on iPod.

Luke795
05-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Sonic Lost World Trailer.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/05/video_sonic_lost_world_debut_trailer_blasts_across _the_internet

oldmanwinters
06-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Sonic Lost World Trailer.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/05/video_sonic_lost_world_debut_trailer_blasts_across _the_internet

Really excited to see the new gameplay footage. This might just be enough to motivate me to get a Wii U later this year.

I know most people will compare the new game mechanic to Mario Galaxy, but it reminds me quite a bit of the test footage that was released of the infamous Sonic X-treme for Saturn back in the 90s. I don't think Saturn was the right system to pull off the cool concepts seen in Sonic Xtreme, but now we finally might see it done right!

Also, the new three-phase running system should be interesting. Walk, run, and boost speeds (assuming I read the report correctly) might be a great new innovation to the series.

gbHqxh2i2WU#t=05m45s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbHqxh2i2WU#t=05m45s

wzvS_beXtXk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvS_beXtXk

redsai4lex
06-06-2013, 02:59 PM
That looks great! I can't wait! But, then again, I've been just as excited before and even more disappointed when the game turns out bad. Hopefully that will not be the case in this one.

oldmanwinters
06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
That looks great! I can't wait! But, then again, I've been just as excited before and even more disappointed when the game turns out bad. Hopefully that will not be the case in this one.

This game is one of three exclusive partnerships between Sonic Team and Nintendo. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo helped out in the development of the game to make sure Sonic Team makes full advantage of the Wii U's abilities.

LeoNerdo
06-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Watching the gameplay footage on IGN today, this looks pretty dang good. I hope this will be a big improvement in the way Sonic controls in 3D.

Roland
06-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Saw some screenshots of the game and it looks bright and colourful. The cylinder levels looks a bit odd though but I guess it takes getting use too.

shell4brains
07-26-2013, 12:22 AM
wzvS_beXtXk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvS_beXtXk

Wow, that's awesome! I would've totally been into this game. The music is pretty catchy too.

Gin Rummy
07-26-2013, 12:33 AM
Sonic 2 was one of the 1st games I ever played. Well not really, my Older brother played Sonic, I was stuck with Tails. We'd start running together, I'd get hung up by the 1st enemy or so, & I wouldn't see the screen again until the stage was clear! (Thank You 4 year old reaction time.) :lol:

But I got the last laugh during boss battles. Where Tails' curse of immortality comes in good use! Those where good times.

I Never saw much of the cartoons be it SAT:AM, or Sonic X. & Aside from Sonic Adventure on the DC, I've avoided the 3d Sonic games. But I've heard Colors was good, & Lost Worlds looks pretty sweet.

miru
08-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Is it just me or does Zazz (new villain from Lost World) look like Fishface?

TurtleTitan97
08-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Is it just me or does Zazz (new villain from Lost World) look like Fishface?

It's just you.

Zulithe
08-21-2013, 10:16 PM
60 FPS footage of Sonic Lost World on Wii U.

I'm not sure if the flash player version lets you play it at 60FPS or not. I downloaded the file (there is a link right under the video player) and played it locally to make sure it plays at 60FPS

Looks very smooth!!

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_sonic_lost_world_gc_gameplay-30604_en.html

oldmanwinters
08-23-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't even own a Wii U, but I'm tempted to pre-order Sonic: Lost World anyway if it means I can secure a copy of the "Deadly Six Edition" with the NiGHTS inspired content.
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/08/22/sonics-worst-nightmare-sonic-lost-world-deadly-sixbonus-edition/

Donatello19
08-23-2013, 08:10 PM
I don't even own a Wii U, but I'm tempted to pre-order Sonic: Lost World anyway if it means I can secure a copy of the "Deadly Six Edition" with the NiGHTS inspired content.
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/08/22/sonics-worst-nightmare-sonic-lost-world-deadly-sixbonus-edition/

Just to let you know, The deadly six edition is similar to the Sonic and all stars racing transformed special edition...wherever you pre order the game from, it will have the exclusive content on it.

oldmanwinters
08-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Just to let you know, The deadly six edition is similar to the Sonic and all stars racing transformed special edition...wherever you pre order the game from, it will have the exclusive content on it.

Oh, good, I was wondering about that when I read the description. So will the Deadly Six Edition merely come with the content already unlocked from the beginning?

Donatello19
08-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Oh, good, I was wondering about that when I read the description. So will the Deadly Six Edition merely come with the content already unlocked from the beginning?

It comes with everything the normal version comes with, along with the DLC content..which I think may be a code that needs to be redeemed.

MrTMNT2012
09-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Sonic Adventure is one of my games of all time but it looks like Sonic Lost World might just surpass it....

Everything looks perfect. Like This is Sega's perfect 3D Sonic Game!

Darth Knuckles
09-18-2013, 02:04 PM
I know most people will compare the new game mechanic to Mario Galaxy, but it reminds me quite a bit of the test footage that was released of the infamous Sonic X-treme for Saturn back in the 90s. I don't think Saturn was the right system to pull off the cool concepts seen in Sonic Xtreme, but now we finally might see it done right!

I agree with you that people will say it's just a Mario Galaxy rip-off but it really was a SEGA idea back in 1997 with Sonic Xtreme. I just wish Knuckles was in it in some way....:tcry:

Pxndx
09-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Is there anyone else here who has never beaten a sonic game? Sonic 2 was the closest I've came to beating one and I never been able to do it.

Roland
09-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Is there anyone else here who has never beaten a sonic game? Sonic 2 was the closest I've came to beating one and I never been able to do it.

I have beaten Sonic the hedgehog 1, 2 and 3 but I think the easiest to complete is Sonic 1 for sega master system or sega game gear. Try the master system one. It's one of my favourites to play from time to time.

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
09-30-2013, 02:34 PM
I never beat Sonic 3D Blast. Ugh. That game is stupidly awkward.
Otherwise I have played and beat Sonic 1, 2+, 3+, Knuckles, and Spinball.
(+ = connected to Sonic and Knuckles)

I dont remember my completion of Sonic Adventure or Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (both Gamecube ports). I think I beat SA2 and I think I completed a couple characters in SA but I dont remember too much. I think I traded the games away too.

Roland
10-01-2013, 02:24 PM
I never beat Sonic 3D Blast. Ugh. That game is stupidly awkward.
Otherwise I have played and beat Sonic 1, 2+, 3+, Knuckles, and Spinball.
(+ = connected to Sonic and Knuckles)

I dont remember my completion of Sonic Adventure or Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (both Gamecube ports). I think I beat SA2 and I think I completed a couple characters in SA but I dont remember too much. I think I traded the games away too.

Sweet. I did complete Sonic 3D Blast but I used game saves. The game is definately akward to play. When I jump to attack eggman I miss alot of the times.

ledahead
10-08-2013, 12:25 AM
I grew up playing Sonic 2 on the Genesis and I still like Sonic. More recently I have played Sonic 3 and that is a pretty good game. Some people don't like Sonic Adventure but I thought it was a cool game. I have played Sonic CD and that is a fan favorite but I found it really short and not that great but I think there is a specific way you have to play the game and it is more than just going through levels from start to finish and beating the boss. I would like to try playing the game again the correct way. Lately I have bought Sonic Generations and that is a really cool game. Several of the old school levels have been recreated in 3d with updated music and the game is a lot of fun. It is the perfect blend of old and new Sonic.

oldmanwinters
10-18-2013, 06:57 PM
So apparently, Lost World hit Europe today. Any early buyers want to share their thoughts?

Prowler
11-11-2013, 11:31 AM
I've only played the classic Mega Drive/Genesis games, except for Sonic CD, that is.

Sonic 2 is my favorite, by far. Whenever I pick up that game I always end up playing it until the end.

Sonic 1 is kinda average these days, and I honestly dislike Marble and Labyrinth zones.

3 is better than 1 but not as good as 2.

Sonic & Knuckles is decent. Replacing Tails with Knuckles was a pretty good idea.

Sonic 3D... well that was the last Sonic game I've played. Take a guess why...

Drose18
11-12-2013, 08:47 PM
For those of you who havent played it, you should really try Sonic 2 Adventure Battle its a great game!

Redeemer
11-12-2013, 08:54 PM
I've only played the classic Mega Drive/Genesis games, except for Sonic CD, that is.

Sonic 2 is my favorite, by far. Whenever I pick up that game I always end up playing it until the end.

Sonic 1 is kinda average these days, and I honestly dislike Marble and Labyrinth zones.

3 is better than 1 but not as good as 2.

Sonic & Knuckles is decent. Replacing Tails with Knuckles was a pretty good idea.

Sonic 3D... well that was the last Sonic game I've played. Take a guess why...

Really can't argue Sonic has always been a great 2d game character, but sega has struggled at time to make a good 3d sonic game.

Shark_Blade
11-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Has anyone played Lost World yet?

I'm playing on 3ds and let me just say... It. Is. AWESOME.

http://www.cubed3.com/review/1328/1/sonic-lost-world-nintendo-3ds.html#.UpRFROIcV9Y

http://www.cubed3.com/media/newsimgs/Sonic-Lost-World-SEGA-Sonic-Trailer-Wii-U-3DS-Nintendo-Gamescom-Gameplay-Multiplayer-Race-mmzfp.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVf9EbpRrNaaWH_rche1OHMNX0_2Fxt mch04fDE86wbzwzqymHpQhttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRijap4sRf4dpDyl08KpkMBdzC3aM6g3 wvoAegbPumfEZVoDBXkRw

When the story starts, I thought were gonna have a lame ass kid friendly story they usually spoonfed us all this time. Nope. Eggman was flying whilst carrying some animal captive in a container and let it fall to the ground, leaving Sonic and Tails to rescue them. Pretty despicable, now that's how I like my villain.

The gameplay , some people said its kinda like Mario Galaxy, and I've played it too myself. But I much prefer the hedgehog, in terms of visual and abilities. It plays smoothly and I think it's good that they place a run button now or we'll skidded off out of control.

Back to the story, Eggman's a badass cruel villain. Sonic has this brattish quip and asshole like attitude (being the coolest person does that to you), Tails has gotten cocky (blame Sonic for that), Amy's not being a nuisance but now a caring gentle girl, Knuckles with his own ego belittling Sonic, even the deadly six monsters' speeches are wonderful to hear..I love it. Am I dreaming? An actual Sonic game where I don't have to cringe when I hear them read the script?

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131009220222/sonic/images/thumb/f/f4/Sonic_Lost_World_%28Wii_U%29_-_Knuckles_and_Amy_Cutscene_%28ENGLISH_VOICES%29/500px-Sonic_Lost_World_%28Wii_U%29_-_Knuckles_and_Amy_Cutscene_%28ENGLISH_VOICES%29.jp g

I mean every words that comes out of the characters mouth aren't some nonsense the writers just pulled out of their ass. There's actually chemistry and depth among them and I can feel them.

This is heaven. And the lovely gameplay is just wonderful.

Love it so far, can't wait to play more.

And I'm definitely getting a Wii U for this gem.

---------------

Here's a review I just read. A glowing 8/10. :D

http://www.cubed3.com/review/1328/1/sonic-lost-world-nintendo-3ds.html#.UpRFROIcV9Y

The story of the game is told in cut-scenes that appear either before or after nearly every level and feature a group of antagonists called The Deadly Six that Sonic and his buddy Tails have to face. Dr. Eggman and his trusty minion robots Orbot and Cubot also make an appearance and they certainly provide the most entertaining moments throughout the story. How does the gameplay hold up, though? Well, it's a very enjoyable experience for the most part that's hampered by some instances of poor level design and mechanics.

Let's get to what it does right first. A major change to the formula comes in the form of a parkour system that allows Sonic to scale and run alongside walls and grab onto ledges. It controls quite well, improving the flow of the game and allowing level design that wasn't possible before, such as running and jumping between walls. The ability to save oneself from certain death by grabbing onto ledges is also much appreciated.

Another change was made to Sonic's speed. While there's still some acceleration by simply moving with the Circle Pad, it's only possible run fast by holding down the right shoulder button. Parkour functions are mapped to that button, as well, giving the player full control over Sonic's abilities. The spin dash is also back and activated by briefly holding down the Y button to obtain an extra boost that's even faster than simply running, which is often required in 2D sections and very fun to activate.

Overall, the basic controls are very satisfying to use.
http://www.cubed3.com/media/2013/May/soniclos3ds4.jpg

Although Sonic is packing his trusty homing attack and a new somersault move that can be used to stun enemies, sometimes his abilities aren't enough to overcome the challenges ahead of him and he has to make use of a variety of Wisp power-ups, that were first seen in Sonic Colours. Unlike the Wii U version of the game, levels that feature Wisps are actually designed with them in mind and not randomly placed in a way that it feels pointless to even use them.

Particularly fun to use are the Ivory Lightning and Indigo Asteroid Wisps. Ivory Lightning turns Sonic into a lightning bolt that can quickly ram into enemies and generate threads of electricity to connect with charge coils scattered throughout a level. Indigo Asteroid, instead, can be used to cause anything that Sonic touches to disintegrate and surrounds him to increase his reach.

While a majority of stages are well-designed and very fun to play, there are a select few that really hold the game back from being something truly special. Perhaps the most frustrating one is a snowy level where the goal is to push snowballs around to make them larger and eventually roll them into a hole to advance - something that is the complete opposite of the rest of the game when it comes to pacing. It's made even worse by an enemy snowball that chases the player throughout the majority of the stage with the goal to make the snowball mechanic as annoying as possible.

Other problems include sudden camera or gravity switches in some 2D stages and forced usage of the gyroscope for some segments that would work just as well with the Circle Pad. Fortunately, extra lives are placed fairly throughout levels so some deaths caused by poor game design won't result in Game Overs that would trigger the player to lose progress in what can be moderately-long stages at 10-15 minutes each.

http://www.cubed3.com/media/2013/May/soniclos3ds6.jpg

Gameplay

Featuring a balanced mix of 2D and 3D stages that utilise the new parkour system and Wisps, the game delivers a lot of fun for the most part. Unfortunately, some particularly questionable and frustrating game design choices every now and then and forced use of the gyroscope in some segments prevent it from being as good as it could be.

Graphics

The scope and graphical detail found in a variety of levels is very commendable for a 3DS game that runs - for the most part - very smoothly. The cut-scenes, however, suffer from a poor conversion from its Wii U counterpart and can look quite blurry, which is a shame given that the system is more than capable of displaying sharp CGI cut-scenes, as seen in games such as Fire Emblem: Awakening (http://www.cubed3.com/review/1257/1/fire-emblem-awakening-nintendo-3ds.html).

Sound

Sonic games have often received a lot of praise for their soundtracks in the past and this one is no different, featuring catchy reoccurring music, such as its main theme or the theme of The Deadly Six, and very enjoyable stage soundtracks that cover a wide range of musical styles tailored to the setting of each one. The voice acting is well done overall, with particular highlights being Dr. Eggman, Orbot and Cubot.

Value

The main game is rather short and can be completed in roughly six hours, but doing so unlocks a Hard mode which features tougher, remixed versions of every level. On top of that, there's a secret world to unlock on both difficulty levels. Materials earned by finishing stages can be spent at Tails' Lab to create item capsules or build a variety of RC vehicles that can be summoned to help Sonic out and even transferred to the Wii U version. In addition to a Time Attack mode with online leaderboards, Dimps also added a VS mode that can be played locally with support for download play or online against friends and random players.

Cubed3 Rating

8/10
http://www.cubed3.com/imagesv9/blank.gifGreat - Silver Award

http://www.cubed3.com/new/images/review_silver.jpg

While some infrequent instances of poor game design prevent the game from being an absolute success, it's still a very worthy entry in the Sonic franchise that can keep up with and, in some areas, even surpass its home console counterpart. With a relative lack of 3D platformers available for the system, 3DS owners should definitely consider giving Sonic Lost World a try. Fans of the series that already own it on the Wii U may want to pick up this version, too, as it features different levels and offers enough content to warrant a purchase.

The voice acting is well done overall, with particular highlights being Dr. Eggman, Orbot and Cubot.I like this part, it's a rarity in Sonic games and I'm glad someone else picked up on how good the voice acting is for this game! :tgrin:

chrisdude
11-26-2013, 06:02 AM
I played the first few levels of the Wii U version. It was kind of heartbreaking (I thought this game would sell me on the Wii U). It moves so slowly, the sense of speed just isn't there. The level design seems dull, and navigation is a pain, with the run button being used to too many things.

I know Sonic, and I'm sure there are fun zones, later on, but I don't think the game feels very good. I'll play more, at some point, but I'm not rushing out to buy a Wii U like I thought I was.

miru
12-02-2013, 04:25 PM
The Yogcast's Simon is now charity DLC for Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed!

EDIT: Seven more placeholders have been uncovered.

Shark_Blade
12-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Sonic 2 is out now on iOS and Android, and it is GLORIOUS.

sdp
12-14-2013, 12:45 PM
I bought Sonic the Hedgehog 3D Classics, I didn't want to because it doesn't include Tails/knuckles/Widescreen like the iOS version that came out before this version and costs less. But this was actually ported by a different company, M2 and they did a fantastic job, you have many options and it's a faithful port. I still wish for the iOS extras but oh well, the iOS version will never have button controls and that's too important for a platformer. And the main reason I bought the game? 3D; sprite games look amazing in 3D I've loved all the 3D classics Nintendo released, a shame they stopped and love the 3D games that use sprites, hope we get more and if we get Sonic 2 that we get the iOS extras.

Shiro Kame
12-18-2013, 10:08 AM
I've been a fan of that series ever since I played Sonic & Knuckles 3.

Donatello19
12-18-2013, 02:18 PM
For anyone with Sonic Lost Word: You can download a Yoshi's island themed level for free as DLC. No, I'm not kidding: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/12/yoshis-island-comes-to-sonic-lost-world/

Legend of Zelda DLC coming soon, too...
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/12/legend-of-zelda-dlc-coming-to-sonic-lost-world/

I'm surprised that Nintendo hasn't just bought Sonic yet...

Shiro Kame
01-09-2014, 07:47 PM
SEGA used to make game consoles, but Nintendo did a better job. (ex: GBs needed fewer batteries than Game Gear)

LeotheLateBloomer
01-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Anyone believe that Sega will ever return to making home consoles again?

Allio
01-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Anyone believe that Sega will ever return to making home consoles again?

well with as much of a failure the dream cast was, I really doubt it

Peanut
01-09-2014, 10:13 PM
SEGA used to make game consoles, but Nintendo did a better job. (ex: GBs needed fewer batteries than Game Gear)

That's an understatement.

Shiro Kame
01-16-2014, 05:07 AM
Yeah; honestly, who wants a money guzzler portable console with pretty bad graphics that needs 4 extra batteries that a GBA needs?

The Deadman
06-06-2016, 10:22 PM
So i figured I'd give this a little bit of a bumpage with this

X1TwJmYz3eQ

Comes out in September.

Cure
06-06-2016, 10:28 PM
I'm sure that won't be garbage.

ssjup81
06-09-2016, 12:30 PM
I guess I would consider myself to be a casual Sonic fan. I haven't played every single game or come anywhere close to it. The only ones I've played have been:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Game Gear)
Sonic Spinball
Sonic 3D Blast (I can assure you that I didn't have a "blast" with this game)
Sonic Battle
Sonic Adventure (my cousin had a Dreamcast)
Sonic Colors (DS version)
Sonic Generations (3DS version)
Sonic Runners (the mobile app game)

The only reason I have the 3DS version of Sonic Generations and the DS version of colors is due to the fact that I was in Japan when both games came out. I have a Wii, but it's stateside. My favorite classic Sonic game is Sonic 2 (Genesis). So yeah, as you can see, I haven't played many Sonic games. I did go to the annual Sonic birthday party last year at Joyopolis in Odaiba and I plan on going again this year (June 25) since it'll be the 25th anniversary. Last year, my friends and I lucked out and met Jun Senoue of Crush 40. He just happened to be walking by and we greeted him and he came back and even took a photo with us. That was way beyond awesome! I couldn't even think of anything to ask him since I was kind of awestruck. I'm a pretty big fan of the music group Crush 40. He even mentioned us on his Twitter.

Anyway, I do own a few Sonic things. I own the 20th anniversary comic that was given out at NYCC back in 2011, a big Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow plushie, a Tails, Knuckles, Rogue, and Shadow keychain, and a Sonic bag that I bought at last year's birthday party.

I think I'm more into the Sonic characters than the actual games, and I blame the fact that here are so many different mediums that feature these characters outside of the games. In this regard, I truly do prefer Sonic Mario. I find the Sonic characters more interesting, I guess.

My favorite Sonic characters are: Tails, Knuckles (minus Sonic Boom), Shadow, Rogue, and Cream.

So yeah, there we go. My casual Sonic fandom information…stuff or whatever you'd call it.

Netkeeper
06-09-2016, 12:37 PM
I'm sure that won't be garbage.
Apparently the first 3DS Sonic Boom was okay so [I]maybe this won't be absolute garbage.

The Deadman
06-09-2016, 01:42 PM
I guess I would consider myself to be a casual Sonic fan. I haven't played every single game or come anywhere close to it. The only ones I've played have been:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Game Gear)
Sonic Spinball
Sonic 3D Blast (I can assure you that I didn't have a "blast" with this game)
Sonic Battle
Sonic Adventure (my cousin had a Dreamcast)
Sonic Colors (DS version)
Sonic Generations (3DS version)
Sonic Runners (the mobile app game)

The only reason I have the 3DS version of Sonic Generations and the DS version of colors is due to the fact that I was in Japan when both games came out. I have a Wii, but it's stateside. My favorite classic Sonic game is Sonic 2 (Genesis). So yeah, as you can see, I haven't played many Sonic games. I did go to the annual Sonic birthday party last year at Joyopolis in Odaiba and I plan on going again this year (June 25) since it'll be the 25th anniversary. Last year, my friends and I lucked out and met Jun Senoue of Crush 40. He just happened to be walking by and we greeted him and he came back and even took a photo with us. That was way beyond awesome! I couldn't even think of anything to ask him since I was kind of awestruck. I'm a pretty big fan of the music group Crush 40. He even mentioned us on his Twitter.

Anyway, I do own a few Sonic things. I own the 20th anniversary comic that was given out at NYCC back in 2011, a big Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow plushie, a Tails, Knuckles, Rogue, and Shadow keychain, and a Sonic bag that I bought at last year's birthday party.

I think I'm more into the Sonic characters than the actual games, and I blame the fact that here are so many different mediums that feature these characters outside of the games. In this regard, I truly do prefer Sonic Mario. I find the Sonic characters more interesting, I guess.

My favorite Sonic characters are: Tails, Knuckles (minus Sonic Boom), Shadow, Rogue, and Cream.

So yeah, there we go. My casual Sonic fandom information…stuff or whatever you'd call it.

I recommend trying out the console versions of Colors and Generations as well, both very well made games.

ssjup81
06-09-2016, 03:19 PM
I recommend trying out the console versions of Colors and Generations as well, both very well made games.Yeah, I've heard that. Someday I might...but I'm still in Japan and my Wii, as I mentioned, is stateside and even then, it was originally supposed to have been for the family. It's technically my mother's...even though she doesn't use it anymore. She wanted it to do the Wiifit stuff.

The Deadman
06-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I've heard that. Someday I might...but I'm still in Japan and my Wii, as I mentioned, is stateside and even then, it was originally supposed to have been for the family. It's technically my mother's...even though she doesn't use it anymore. She wanted it to do the Wiifit stuff.

Well Generations on console is 360 only, so if you have that with you then give it a shot.

Netkeeper
06-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Well Generations on console is 360 only, so if you have that with you then give it a shot.
Uh, it's PS3 too. I have the PS3 version.

TigerClaw
06-09-2016, 04:49 PM
Sonic is going to appear in Lego Dimensions.

LGT9PrwRHdY

The Deadman
06-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Uh, it's PS3 too. I have the PS3 version.

Oh yeah. Whoops.

ssjup81
06-26-2016, 01:23 AM
Well everyone, I went to the Sonic Birthday Party yesterday, and man I so wish I would've gone early like I originally planned. They were giving out these nice 25th anniversary metal things, but they only had 400 of them. By the time my group got there, they had run out. They also had a special blue curry meal set. Shockingly, they ran out of that too. ><

The first part, they were going through the first 10 years of Sonic along with some old commercials. They then were going on about the concept art and how they came up with the designs for some of the characters and stuff. They didn't focus much on Sonic '06, though, but they did mention Silver and the Japanese fans were really into it. That actually surprised me, given how infamously bad Sonic '06 is.

The main thing they were promoing was Sonic Boom Fire & Ice (or what it's called here, Sonic Toon Fire & Ice)...and....it actually looks decent. Even I might check the game out. It looks like the problems the original had won't be an issue for this one since, unlike the last game, they actually took their time working on it. They played a little demo and stuff, so it looked ok.

Now, for the Sonic Boom stuff, this was when the Japanese fans were disturbingly quiet. They cheered for '06, but not Boom.:lol:

They brought out the game director for Mario vs Sonic at the Olympics and as a treat along with guys dressed as Mario and Sonic. They picked four people from the audience to play soccer for the game. Two for the Mario team and two for the Sonic team. The score at the end was 3 - 1. The winning team was Mario's team. Geez, even on his birthday, Mario shows up Sonic. For shame plumber...for shame!!!

At the very end, they announced that they're working on another project that will be coming out in 2017, but nothing else more than that, but maybe more will be revealed when they go to the states.

oldmanwinters
06-26-2016, 05:58 AM
For all you Steamers out there, Humble Bundle is celebrating Sonic's 25th in a big way!

You can get almost all the Sonic Steam games for $1-$10 (https://www.humblebundle.com/sonic-25th-anniversary-bundle) and a huge batch of Archie digital comics for $1-$15 (https://www.humblebundle.com/books/sonic-comics-bundle)! And the Sonic Comic Sampler pack is free!

The Deadman
06-26-2016, 06:06 AM
They're apparently bringing out a new Sonic game next year

TMNT_Guy
06-26-2016, 08:03 AM
Well everyone, I went to the Sonic Birthday Party yesterday

I caught the live stream of that. It was cool for the concept art alone, but it was interesting for me because I’ve always read that Sonic was never very popular in his home country. It seems like he has a decent fan base there. Everyone seemed to cheer the loudest when they talked about Sonic X, which was really interesting because I’ve always read that the final season never even aired in Japan, due to it not being very popular. I wonder how true these rumors are?

It was cool to see the mysterious Man of the Year cartoon feature back in Sonic Jam, wish I knew Japanese so I could know what Takashi Iizuka said about it. Glad to hear something positive about Sonic 06 for a change, I’ve only had the chance to play the first level of the game and it didn’t seem that bad. *Waits for everyone to tell me it gets worse and that I’m an idiot for liking the game*
You can get almost all the Sonic Steam games for $1-$10 (https://www.humblebundle.com/sonic-25th-anniversary-bundle) and a huge batch of Archie digital comics for $1-$15 (https://www.humblebundle.com/books/sonic-comics-bundle)! And the Sonic Comic Sampler pack is free!
This couldn’t have come at a more perfect time; I just got a new computer for playing games. Now I can finally play Sonic Generations, the racing games and find out if Sonic 4 is as bad as people say. Not to mention playing Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic CD in widescreen.

Here’s hoping for good news on July 22nd.

oldmanwinters
06-26-2016, 07:50 PM
This couldn’t have come at a more perfect time; I just got a new computer for playing games. Now I can finally play Sonic Generations, the racing games and find out if Sonic 4 is as bad as people say. Not to mention playing Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic CD in widescreen.

Here’s hoping for good news on July 22nd.

I was very surprised to see the Humble Bundle not only includes all the games, but most of their DLC as well. I own the 360 disc of Generations and very much enjoy it, but I had no way of accessing the Casino Night pinball stage since it was only available on 360 for pre-orders. It's also nice to finally be able to play Sonic 4 Episodes 1-2, although I can say that Generations is a WAY better effort to integrate the older and newer styles. I've got Lost World and Wii U and appreciate it more than most, but since Generations suffers framerate drops on my PC, I doubt my hardware would handle Lost World well either.

I look forward to seeing what bonus games get announced for the deal. Probably one or all of the remaining Genesis roms: Sonic 3, Spinball, and Mean Bean Machine. It would be a real surprise if they went for a Sonic-Team inspired title like NiGHTS into Dreams HD.

BTW, I'm a fan of Sonic Jam on the Saturn too. Probably the best re-release of the Genesis Sonic series due to all the extras and the evident attention put into programming the games instead of just throwing ROMS on a disc like Sega has done since the Dreamcast days.

sdp
06-26-2016, 08:21 PM
I also got the Humble Bundle, I paid the $35 to get the T-Shirt, I love it since it's subtle enough that most people won't get it. I already owned the Genesis games on Steam but I really wanted to have the other Sonic games too including the 3D games so I can finally sell my console copies. I doubt I'll play any of this anytime soon again or the ones i"ve never played but it's nice to have them.
https://humblebundle-a.akamaihd.net/misc/files/hashed/bb852c71b2b5ae123906924e42dcfb959f8e59d0.jpg
Since it's the 25th anniversary I'll go on a little memory trip....

Always loved Sonic even though I always had a Nintendo system, I thought he was awesome and would play the games whenever I could. When Sega became third party I was so happy and bought all those early third party sonic games which I also enjoyed. I even used to frequent a Sonic forum SonicHQ and it was an EZBoard and when I joined this forum I used to have a sad Sonic signature since I liked that image, I kept it for a long time since I rarely posted here. Eventually I grew out of gaming and I became more aware of the Sonic furry community and I distanced myself from Sonic in general but I still think he's awesome and I have no shame I now realize I can like the franchise without caring if people associate me with the fanbase, it's as much of my childhood as TMNT, Power Rangers and others.

Looking forward to the announcement next month, hope it's a good one.

oldmanwinters
06-26-2016, 08:42 PM
Handsome shirt with subtlety, indeed!

As much as I liked it, I didn't like it for $25 extra! But I'd wear it with pride.

Personally, I'd still hold onto the physical copies unless you think you can get good money for them. Most of those Genesis Sonic games won't sell for more than $5 anyway.

I hope you enjoy the Genesis Steam games. Sega recently put together a Game Room presentation for all their ROMs that allows for fan hack integration. It doesn't run especially well for me except on the lowest technical settings, but it certainly has a lot of potential.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/28/11530338/sega-genesis-rom-hacks-steam-workshop-mega-drive-hub

sdp
06-26-2016, 08:52 PM
Yeah I justified it as a bunch of sonic games for 35 with a free shir. I have another Sonic shirt which has classic Sonic, I only bought it since I found it on sale years ago at Hot Topic and liked the design but I rarely wear it since I'm not a big fan of wearing an obvious "I'M A GAMER" shirt but I could wear this one without a problem. I only have games from the Gamecube/GBA era and whether I get good money or not I just don't want clutter. I won't be playing any of the games anytime soon but I like knowing I can play them whenever I want. Sadly Shadow the Hedgehog is not one of the games. While most people hate it I think it's the best 3D sonic game at least up to that point. Does it have problems? Sure but the same problems the other 3D sonic games had. It's basically what people wanted an all "sonic level" game. I enjoy the dark theme of the game, I mean I understand it's a f-cking hedgehog and can enjoy a darker theme to a pretty f-cking happy go lucky universe, it wasn't meant to be a real "edgy" GTA game or whatever but as dark as say a Kirby game can get. The other complain of picking up weapons and vehicles was actually a lot of fun as well. Definitely a guilty pleasure.

TheCanadiandrome
06-26-2016, 11:29 PM
They're apparently bringing out a new Sonic game next year

Awesome, hopefully it'll be good

Shark_Blade
06-27-2016, 01:30 AM
Mario & Sonic at Rio Olympic Games 2016 looks fun. I lol'ed at Eggman knocking out Sonic in a boxing match.

ssjup81
06-28-2016, 03:17 PM
They're apparently bringing out a new Sonic game next year*Points to my Sonic birthday post*

I said this...

Anyway, I also hope it'll be a decent game.

sdp
07-04-2016, 02:30 PM
I'm in the Sonic mood, I don't think I've been so excited for Sonic in a long time, maybe when Generations came out or they announced the three game exclusivity for Nintendo which never gave me the MarioxSonic game I wanted.

I'm really hopeful about what Sega is doing with the IP, I do think they can get rid of the bad if they just move on. I really hope they go back to classic Sonic. I'm not one of those modern Sonic haters, I really like modern Sonic and think it was a great re-design during that time but classic Sonic has a timeless look like Mickey and Mario. You would also be able to re-market the character from scratch, gone would be the stigma of Sonic being in bad games and the association with the furry community and you'd only be left with the timeless icon. Of course Sega can screw it up but counting they've been listening to fans and you can tell from the Sonic Twitter account and the delay of the second Sonic Boom game that they are listening. I have hope at least I do think it'll be different from the other two times they tried to "re-energize" Sonic with STH06 and Sonic Boom.

Speaking of which is the show Sonic Boom any good? The preview I saw before the premier was ok, I remember the show getting bashed but the adult internet constantly thinks that shows are marketed towards them and not kids. None of the Sonic shows are particularly good yet most have nostalgia towards the first two.

Shiro Kame
07-04-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm in the Sonic mood, I don't think I've been so excited for Sonic in a long time, maybe when Generations came out or they announced the three game exclusivity for Nintendo which never gave me the MarioxSonic game I wanted.

I'm really hopeful about what Sega is doing with the IP, I do think they can get rid of the bad if they just move on. I really hope they go back to classic Sonic. I'm not one of those modern Sonic haters, I really like modern Sonic and think it was a great re-design during that time but classic Sonic has a timeless look like Mickey and Mario. You would also be able to re-market the character from scratch, gone would be the stigma of Sonic being in bad games and the association with the furry community and you'd only be left with the timeless icon. Of course Sega can screw it up but counting they've been listening to fans and you can tell from the Sonic Twitter account and the delay of the second Sonic Boom game that they are listening. I have hope at least I do think it'll be different from the other two times they tried to "re-energize" Sonic with STH06 and Sonic Boom.

Speaking of which is the show Sonic Boom any good? The preview I saw before the premier was ok, I remember the show getting bashed but the adult internet constantly thinks that shows are marketed towards them and not kids. None of the Sonic shows are particularly good yet most have nostalgia towards the first two.

The show's not ideal. It's mediocre, lazy, the heroes act like immature idiots, the villagers are assholes, and Eggman's a pathetic villain.

raph27
07-04-2016, 08:31 PM
I'm thinking about getting into Sonic games. Just a question, on those Steam copies from the Humble Bundle, would I be able to hook up a 360 wireless controller to play them? I'm new to PC gaming.

ssjup81
07-05-2016, 04:01 AM
Speaking of which is the show Sonic Boom any good? The preview I saw before the premier was ok, I remember the show getting bashed but the adult internet constantly thinks that shows are marketed towards them and not kids. None of the Sonic shows are particularly good yet most have nostalgia towards the first two.I personally like Sonic Boom and find it funny. It has its moments. The style suits a person like me because most of the humor is random and ironic. I also like how the show is sometimes self-aware of how bad some of the jokes are. lol

You could always check out the Sonic Boom TV series Thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=46153&highlight=Sonic+Boom)

LeotheLateBloomer
07-06-2016, 08:03 AM

If I could recommend a really good Sonic game, Sonic Colors is a great experience. The wisps are you main gimmick but it works really well with the tone of the game. This legitimately feels like a true Sonic game in the style and tone of the Genesis era.

Well when I first saw modern Sonic through that silly Sonic Adventure TV Commercial (number one reason I freakin' wanted a Dreamcast), I thought he looked pretty cool. Seeing an older Sonic was pretty awesome. He looked so much edgier than we were used to seeing. While I think Sonic Adventure has slighty aged, I still love the game to this day. I recommend watching FindtheComputerRoom's The Great Sonic Adventure Debate video. It's really hilarious.

As far as the Sonic Boom TV Series, while I enjoy it, it's not for everyone. You have to go with the mindset that this is a different universe. I like it because despite what some may think of the characterizations, it's pretty entertaining. There are a few 'stinkers' but for the most part, I think you'll get a good laugh. As one says, the show is pretty self-aware and does a pretty good job at spoofing the Sonic series (as well as the fanbase). The voice acting is pretty top notched as well. Give it a shot! And at the very least, no Chris Thorndyke.

ssjup81
07-11-2016, 04:37 AM
As far as the Sonic Boom TV Series, while I enjoy it, it's not for everyone. You have to go with the mindset that this is a different universe. I like it because despite what some may think of the characterizations, it's pretty entertaining. There are a few 'stinkers' but for the most part, I think you'll get a good laugh. As one says, the show is pretty self-aware and does a pretty good job at spoofing the Sonic series (as well as the fanbase). The voice acting is pretty top notched as well. Give it a shot! And at the very least, no Chris Thorndyke.Something else about Sonic Boom I like is what you mentioned...like how they spoof things or have nice references. One of my favorite references was in the episode where Orbot and Cubot were stuck in Tails' game or whatever. Like how it was just a Sonic game in the first place. lol Forgot what line they used there when describing it. But anyway, those two got stuck in one of the obstacles and they were losing hope. Orbot was like, "Do you have any ideas?" And Cubot was like, no, but then said, "Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right B, A, start" and they managed to get out of the obstacle they were close to dying in. Like how they managed to get in the infamous Konami code. So yeah, I like stuff like this.

It took a while to grow on me, I admit (especially Knuckles and to an extent, Eggman [to me, it feels more like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack....a dude with so much time and money on his hands, he just needs something to do...he plays golf with super expensive, hi-tech clubs...Eggman builds robots and attacks the village and yet, uses their services, like the garbage pick up, post office and fast food restaurant...]), but after a while, I started to really get into it. I'm looking forward to season 2...whenever that comes out. And, sdp as I also mentioned, the self-awareness is great. Like if they're in a situation and they know it's absurd or too convenient or convoluted, they make note of it. If you like that type of humor, you may enjoy it, sdp.

Ninjinister
07-22-2016, 08:37 PM
Here you go, kids:

KxmtYdEWVzo

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Now THIS I think I can have high hopes for and remain confident they won't be crushed into utter oblivion.

oldmanwinters
07-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Here you go, kids:

KxmtYdEWVzo

Oh, nifty! I was put at ease when I saw SEGA has once again teamed with Christian Whitehead, the ace Sonic fan programmer responsible for the HD remaster of Sonic CD (and maybe the HD remaster of Sonic 2 for iphone).

Looking at the new sprites, backgrounds, and animations, it looks to me like how I always imagined Sonic the Hedgehog 4 SHOULD have been, not the fun but "meh" Episodes 1 & 2 that we got years ago. Sonic Mania looks like a genuine Sonic games running on Sega 32X hardware. Much as I appreciated Knuckles Chaotix, it was divisive and the zone acts were largely forgettable.

Spring 2017 can't get here soon enough! I expect I should be able to snag this one on Steam.

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 08:56 PM
Spring 2017 can't get here soon enough! I expect I should be able to snag this one on Steam.
Yeah, at the end of the trailer we're seeing PC, XBoner, and PS4. No Wii U though... :cry:

Autbot_Benz
07-22-2016, 08:57 PM
Yeah, at the end of the trailer we're seeing PC, XBoner, and PS4. No Wii U though... :cry:

ya i was hoping this would get a 360 ps3 release

oldmanwinters
07-22-2016, 09:04 PM

Ever since the big Humble Bundle sale last month, Steam has become my Sonic play option of choice!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/slimer2erasmus/SteamLibrary_zpsxsjghwse.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/slimer2erasmus/media/SteamLibrary_zpsxsjghwse.jpg.html)

I still love my Wii U, so it would be nice to have options. Odds are that it will be much cheaper through PC than anywhere else.

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 09:04 PM
ya i was hoping this would get a 360 ps3 release
ps3 would be nice, yeah, but I think we're out of luck going forward now. Most releases I've been seeing are ps4 only. A shame because it's not like the ps3 couldn't run this.

Ninjinister
07-22-2016, 09:20 PM
Oh, nifty! I was put at ease when I saw SEGA has once again teamed with Christian Whitehead, the ace Sonic fan programmer responsible for the HD remaster of Sonic CD (and maybe the HD remaster of Sonic 2 for iphone).

He remastered Sonic CD, 1, and 2.

Cure
07-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Doesn't look awful, I guess, but that music is poop from a butt.

sdp
07-22-2016, 09:27 PM
This was a bit of a disappointment, I mean it looks awesome but really? All that hype for what is essentially Sega's version of MegaMan 9? It's a cool announcement but I really thought we'd see the real next Sonic game, confirming that Classic Sonic was now the defacto Sonic in the new 3D games. I'm sure this game will be good but I expected more after all of this.

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 09:38 PM
Man **** that, this is EXACTLY what I've wanted.

Shark_Blade
07-22-2016, 09:39 PM
The 2D sprites look outdated and ugly imo.... I much prefer 3D modern graphics.

But it's nice to be able to play as Tails and Knuckles again. :)

No news for Sonic 3 & Knuckles for iOS... I guess it's doomed forever.

Cure
07-22-2016, 09:47 PM
This was a bit of a disappointment, I mean it looks awesome but really? All that hype for what is essentially Sega's version of MegaMan 9? It's a cool announcement but I really thought we'd see the real next Sonic game, confirming that Classic Sonic was now the defacto Sonic in the new 3D games. I'm sure this game will be good but I expected more after all of this.

Yeah, I can agree with this. I feel like it's Sonic 4 all over again.

And it does look ugly. Not very sharp.

Shark_Blade
07-22-2016, 09:50 PM
And I'm pretty annoyed they use mostly recycled art. Can't they do new art for this new game? Lazy!

http://snafugundam.tumblr.com/post/147825624696/bring-it-on

I don't know, I expect more.

Some people said Sonic Team has yet to announce their game?? Is this true? A 3D game too?

Netkeeper
07-22-2016, 10:06 PM
THat seems like it would be the best action, really. A 2D game for the people that want one and a 3D game for the people that want that instead.

I have Sonic games of both that I love and that I hate so I don't care, but all I wanted was a damn regular Sonic game that let me play as Tails or Knuckles instead. That's all I wanted and how long did it take them to finally do this

oldmanwinters
07-22-2016, 10:10 PM
He remastered Sonic CD, 1, and 2.

Haven't heard about any official Sonic 1 remaster (unless we count the 3DS enhanced release). Got a link?

Edit: Looks like work has at least been done on a Sonic 3 widescreen release! I'm so out of the loop:
http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2015/04/02/sonic-the-hedgehog-3-remastered-interview/

Ninjinister
07-22-2016, 11:01 PM
Here's something else

gCh9--2xcKk

Haven't heard about any official Sonic 1 remaster (unless we count the 3DS enhanced release). Got a link?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.sonic1&hl=en

sdp
07-22-2016, 11:09 PM
Now this is nicer than a modified rom, which I also think is awesome. Not too happy about seeing modern Sonic I really wanted Sega to re-focus but oh well I do like modern Sonic and classic will still be in the game.

I wonder if Sonic Colors could get a PC port counting they know it's highly praised that they felt the need to mention it in the trialer and not easily playable nowadays. I'd also like the rest of the Sonic games ported including 06 but who knows if it'll ever happen.

oldmanwinters
07-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Here's something else

gCh9--2xcKk

I spy that sly NX logo at the end of that teaser!

Cure
07-22-2016, 11:16 PM
Now that I'm into. Sonic Generations is a club banger so I'm all for a sequel.

FredWolfLeonardo
07-22-2016, 11:22 PM
Here's something else

gCh9--2xcKk

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.sonic1&hl=en

I was really fooled. I thought I was watching a movie trailer until the end.

Speaking of movies, I wonder why there aren't any sonic movies yet? There is a lot of potential. Very widely recognized franchise, interesting characters, perfect use of CGI and it can make alot of money at the box office.

Wildcat
07-22-2016, 11:25 PM
It's mentioned that it's not a sequel.

I rarely if ever post in the video game boards but I saw the topic title.

I think Sonic Mania looks freaking awesome. I guess some are saying it's based on a fan game? I don't know I've never played those. Just seen random videos on YouTube. Project 2017 looks great too. Although I don't have a PS4 or Xbox One.

Finally have a good reason to get either one.

Shark_Blade
07-22-2016, 11:54 PM
Sonic 2017 seems a lot more promising than Mania imo. Finally something for me to be excited about. :D

TMNT_Guy
07-23-2016, 12:28 AM
It really seems like Sega's going the Mega Man route and splitting Sonic into 3 different series.

Classic Sonic: for fans of classic gameplay and little story.
Modern Sonic: for fans of strong story and 3D boost gameplay.
Sonic Boom: for a younger audience with comedy being the focus.

I really hope this is what Sega is doing. People always criticize Sonic fans for being unpleasable, but that's because Sega always trys to please everybody with their games, by merging different and conflicting ideas in their games, often without understanding what their fans wanted in the first place. You want to play as Tails in Sonic Adventure 2? Here he is in a mech shooter! You want a classic Sonic game? Heres Sonic the Hedgehog 4!...the physics and level design weren't important in those games, right?

I love me some Classic Sonic, Sonic 3 and Sonic 1 for the Master System are on my top five favorite Sonic games list, but I really love me some Modern Sonic. Sonic hasn't had a game with an awesome and cool plot in years and I'm not fond of the comedic focus that's been in place since Sonic Colors. Sonic 2017 looks like the first game to have an epic story with substance since Sonic Unleashed in 2008. I was absolutely hyped for that trailer. "BUT EVEN HEROES NEED HELP"? Ooh! Are we finally going to play as Tails in the modern boost gameplay!?...and then Classic Sonic appears and all I could give was a flat...huh. I like Sonic Generations and everything, but Sonic teaming up with his younger self has been done already. We already have a new Classic Sonic game, there's no point in trying to mix Classic and Modern Sonic anymore. But at the same time, the game does look epic and as long as Modern Sonic is allowed to have an epic adventure with substance again, I'll be happy.

After all, Classic Sonic is with Modern Sonic again because it's Sonic's 25th anniversary game, right? I mean, Classic Sonic isn't going to become a permanent staple of the boost games, right? It's absurd to think that Sonic won't ever have any new epic adventures without nostalgia pandering again...right?

I need to get to sleep.

Shark_Blade
07-23-2016, 12:59 AM
^You should play Sonic Lost World then. The story and script is the strongest in the series imo, and the gameplay reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy a lot. :) Plus if you get the WiiU version, there's a Legend of Zelda zone!

TMNT_Guy
07-23-2016, 06:34 AM
It's funny you should say that, because I found Sonic Lost World's story to be the most disappointing and rushed plot in the series yet.

Like I said, I'm not into the super comedic "Baldy Mcnosehair!" humor that's been in the series since Sonic Colors. I prefer the storytelling that was in the series from Sonic Adventure to Sonic Unleashed like Sonic Riders, Sonic and the Secret Rings/Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Adventure 2, etc.

To each his own and everything, that's why I'm really hoping Sega is splitting Sonic into three different series. That way, kind of like Batman, theirs a Sonic out there for everyone to enjoy.

Mew
07-23-2016, 07:21 AM
Cannot wait for Sonic 2017. Though, let's hope Sonic 2017 is good, unlike Sonic 2006..

TigerClaw
07-23-2016, 08:34 AM
LEGO Dimensions Sonic the Hedgehog Debut Trailer

RU3MikuaGqI

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Here's something else

gCh9--2xcKk
Haha, hey! I'm excited about this too! ...I still like the 2D game better but I've also been on a pixel kick lately.

I think Sonic Mania looks freaking awesome. I guess some are saying it's based on a fan game? I don't know I've never played those.
Oh, you should, there's so many great ones. There's a guy on Youtube I like, MegaGWolf, look him up -- he showcases all sorts of Sonic ROM hacks. If you download the stuff he showcases that you like, I guarantee you'll have a folder full of entertainment to keep you busy until these actual SonicTeam games come out!

It's funny you should say that, because I found Sonic Lost World's story to be the most disappointing and rushed plot in the series yet.

Like I said, I'm not into the super comedic "Baldy Mcnosehair!" humor that's been in the series since Sonic Colors. I prefer the storytelling that was in the series from Sonic Adventure to Sonic Unleashed like Sonic Riders, Sonic and the Secret Rings/Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Adventure 2, etc.

To each his own and everything, that's why I'm really hoping Sega is splitting Sonic into three different series. That way, kind of like Batman, theirs a Sonic out there for everyone to enjoy.
AAAAAAAAAA I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU AND I LOVE THIS POST. You even mentioned Black Knight, my guilty pleasure Sonic game because it combines so many things I like into one. [Although I wasn't a big fan of the camera in that game... at least it made the gameplay gimmick work though but this is about story]. True, most of those games have some serious plot holes and other weirdness, but I still like THAT better than the weird way they've decided to characterise Sonic and Tails in Lost World/Colours.

The Deadman
07-23-2016, 10:08 AM

Secret Rings and Black KNight were terrible though.

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Secret Rings and Black KNight were terrible though.
...I still like Black Knight despite it being awful.

Anyway I came to post relevance for everyone to laugh at:
6NL50_W_mgU

Ninjinister
07-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Okay see what Sonic Mania is, is...

This bloke Christian Whitehead made his own engine for some Sonic fangames he was working on. Instead of shutting his ass down like they sadly did for the makers of Streets of Rage Remake, they got in touch with him and he provided the engine for a remake of Sonic CD. He also followed up with Sonic 1 and 2 remakes.

So it's not really based on a fangame, but rather using the same (or a similar) engine as one. And it's clearly not a bloody ROM hack like a lot of people everywhere seem to be saying.

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Thank you so much, man. People calling this a ROM hack is pissin' me off. Devs are allowed to make retro style games too, you know. It isn't indie-only territory.

oldmanwinters
07-23-2016, 11:24 AM
LEGO Dimensions Sonic the Hedgehog Debut Trailer

RU3MikuaGqI

I'm really liking the cover of "It Doesn't Matter."

The Deadman
07-23-2016, 11:42 AM
If it were a ROM hack I doubt Sega would be openly promoting it, especially at one of their events.

Speaking of games that arent really ROM hacks, I recommend this:

http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/home/index.php

It's like a 2D version of Sonic Heroes

and then there's the 2D remake of Sonic the Hedgehog '06

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=25787&st=0

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 01:01 PM
That reminds me: there's a ROM hack of... I want to say Sonic 2, but it's in Heroes style. It's meant to be a gimmick, but it's a pretty cute one.

Mew
07-23-2016, 01:35 PM
That reminds me: there's a ROM hack of... I want to say Sonic 2, but it's in Heroes style. It's meant to be a gimmick, but it's a pretty cute one.
I know it's irrelevant, but...
I want to make a ROM hack of the original Super Mario Brothers... how do I do this?

Ninjinister
07-23-2016, 01:40 PM
If it were a ROM hack I doubt Sega would be openly promoting it, especially at one of their events.

Sega's collection app on Steam openly allows mods/hacks, though. I don't think they'd actually commission one, however.

I want to make a ROM hack of the original Super Mario Brothers... how do I do this?

Use Google.

Netkeeper
07-23-2016, 03:32 PM
Why not just use Super Mario Maker?

Mew
07-23-2016, 03:34 PM
I want to keep the levels the same, but change the sprites to be Leo saving April from Shredder with a bunch of TMNT villains as Goombas, Koopas, Pizza as Super Mushrooms, ect.

Etsyturtle2
07-23-2016, 03:47 PM

because mario maker has nowhere near the amounts of characters, settings, sprites and options as hacking a real game would.

You'd need more than your wii u bud.

Mew
07-23-2016, 04:27 PM
because mario maker has nowhere near the amounts of characters, settings, sprites and options as hacking a real game would.

You'd need more than your wii u bud.
I figured this.

Wildcat
07-23-2016, 10:22 PM
Okay see what Sonic Mania is, is...

This bloke Christian Whitehead made his own engine for some Sonic fangames he was working on. Instead of shutting his ass down like they sadly did for the makers of Streets of Rage Remake, they got in touch with him and he provided the engine for a remake of Sonic CD. He also followed up with Sonic 1 and 2 remakes.

So it's not really based on a fangame, but rather using the same (or a similar) engine as one. And it's clearly not a bloody ROM hack like a lot of people everywhere seem to be saying.Ya I looked him up last night and some of his videos on YouTube. As far as I see he never actually created his own entire fan game. Just parts and the mobile remakes.

I don't have a problem with them teaming up with the guy. It's nice. Sega certainly could have made the game without him.

Cure
07-23-2016, 11:45 PM
Also I just wanna say I'm real ****ing tired of anything to do with Green Hill Zone.

Mew
07-24-2016, 05:43 AM
Also I just wanna say I'm real ****ing tired of anything to do with Green Hill Zone.
Even the music? It's incredible!

Netkeeper
07-24-2016, 09:13 AM
Even the music? It's incredible!
Hey if he's tired of it I dont' blame him. I personally have heard that damn song almost my [I]entire life, as I'm only a few months older than the first Sonic game. I can do without it for a while.

Ninjinister
07-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Nah Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone's where it's at in terms of Sonic 1 music. Plus the boss theme.

After playing Sonic Dash for so long trying to get Classic Sonic with the Green Hill Zone music with an audible loop break... it''s gotten on my nerves. Only game I've played in recent memory where I had to mute the damn thing.

Cure
07-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Even the music. There is way better Sonic music that barely ever gets used.

TMNT_Guy
07-24-2016, 10:37 AM
What I find interesting about Sonic Mania and Sonic 2017 is that most Sonic fans share the same concerns and praise for these two games. Usually fan consensus is all over the place when a new Sonic game is announced, but almost everyone is in agreement with these games. With Sonic Mania, fans are thrilled to see a new game with the classic art style and gameplay again. With Sonic 2017, fans are happy to see a Sonic game with a genuine action adventure plot again. Any criticism fans have for these games all boils down to one thing: Nostalgia pandering.

Green Hill Zone isn’t the only “re-imagined” level returning in Sonic Mania, levels from Sonic 2, 3 and CD have been confirmed. Why do we have to play through all these levels again? Didn’t we already do this in Sonic Generations? Why can’t we have all new original levels like Studiopolis? Why is Classic Sonic in another Modern Sonic game? Boom Sonic doesn’t have to share his game with Classic Sonic, Classic Sonic doesn’t have to share his game with Modern Sonic, so what gives? It’s not like Sonic has a limited cast of characters. Instead of Classic Sonic why not Tails? Have him play just like Classic Sonic in Generations but with the ability to fly.

We’re tired of Sega constantly shacking Classic Sonic and Green Hill Zone in our faces like a rattle shouting “Remember when Sonic was good!? REMEMBER WHEN SONIC WAS GOOD?!?”

Yes Sega, we do. But we don’t want new games reminding us when Sonic WAS good, we want new adventures, new games showing us that Sonic IS good. Sonic Colors, ignoring the return of classic Badniks again, was the last time we had a main Sonic game that wasn’t shouting “REMEMBER THIS!?!” That was almost 6 years ago. If we want to play Green Hill Zone again, we will go and play Sonic 1 again…or Sonic Generations…or Lego Dimentions…or the unlockable level in Sonic Adventure 2, etc.

Basically, show us that Classic and Modern Sonic can stand on their own without relying heavily on nostalgia. That’s all we really want. Despite these criticisms, almost everyone is happy with these games. Everything seems to be a big step in the right direction. If you like Classic Sonic gameplay and little story, there is Sonic Mania. If you want a 3D game that takes itself more seriously like Sonic Adventure or Unleashed, there is Sonic 2017. If you want a more comedic self-aware game there is Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice. There’s basically a Sonic game for every kind of fan now.

Netkeeper
07-24-2016, 11:06 AM
Instead of Classic Sonic why not Tails? Have him play just like Classic Sonic in Generations but with the ability to fly.
I have nothing against Classic Sonic, he is adorable and I want to hug him but quills would impale me. That said, maybe one day we'll get player 1 controls Sonic and player 2 controls Tails again, and it'd be really ****ing nice to have this in a 3D game too, not just the 2D ones. -.-

TMNT_Guy
07-24-2016, 11:47 AM
I have nothing against Classic Sonic either. The opening animation in Sonic CD intro is one of the most awesome things in the entire series; I love the classic games and I’m thrilled that there’s a new Classic Sonic game, but I’d rather see Classic Sonic in his own games then Classic Sonic in Modern Sonic’s games.

Because Classic Sonic is already getting his own game, It feels less “Classic Sonic is back!” and more “Classic Sonic is stealing Modern Sonic’s spotlight.” I’m hoping this is a one more time kind of thing. Instead of Classic Sonic again, I'd rather see Tails, Knuckles, maybe even Amy, Blaze or Shadow adapted into the boost games, kind of like how how Sonic 3 & Knuckles and the Sonic Advance trilogy did it, but in 3D space with the boost formula.

Regardless, I'm just really happy have to see Sonic with a genuine action adventure game again. No forced comedy, Wisps or Green Hill Zone knockoffs in sight yet.

sdp
07-24-2016, 05:11 PM
How many times has Mario been through 1-1 or highly inspired versions of it?
How many bands play riffs or things to remind them of their breakout albums?
How many shows/movies reference aka "pay tribute" to the past in newer incarnations?
Like it or not it happens everywhere. Sonicmania is a glorified romhack with new levels, not unlike Mega Man 9 and 10. Enjoy it for what it is or don't. It's throwing a bone to old fans who want "old" sonic since Sonic has evolved. Why is Classic Sonic back if it doesn't make sense in the new game? Same reason Rosalina is back in all future Mario games even if it makes no sense, people liked that aspect and the games are made with play mechanics in mind not story so if people love Generations and the mix of gameplay why not bring it back, I don't care if the crossover becomes a thing for every game if it's cool, who cares if it "doesn't" make sense as long as it's cool,

So who is up to date with their Sonic porting history?

I'm confused so if someone can clear things up to me...The guy making the new game is the one who ported the iOS versions of Sonic which have improvements over the old games. But what about the Steam versions, are those the same ports or are they the original roms?

Ninjinister
07-24-2016, 05:19 PM
Sonic CD is the only one on Steam that's one of the remakes. Sonic 1 and 2 are part of their collection which is just an emulator with special features.

Netkeeper
07-24-2016, 06:06 PM
I have nothing against Classic Sonic either. The opening animation in Sonic CD intro is one of the most awesome things in the entire series; I love the classic games and I’m thrilled that there’s a new Classic Sonic game, but I’d rather see Classic Sonic in his own games then Classic Sonic in Modern Sonic’s games.

Because Classic Sonic is already getting his own game, It feels less “Classic Sonic is back!” and more “Classic Sonic is stealing Modern Sonic’s spotlight.”
Man, this is kind of a strange train of thought, at least to me. Bringing classic Sonic back for an anniversary just sounds like a celebration of the character of Sonic the Hedgehog, to me. Not like the classic version of him is stealing any spotlights.

I dunno, I'm not trying to say you're wrong, just that it doesn't make any sense to me.

TMNT_Guy
07-24-2016, 06:15 PM
Man, this is kind of a strange train of thought, at least to me. Bringing classic Sonic back for an anniversary just sounds like a celebration of the character of Sonic the Hedgehog, to me. Not like the classic version of him is stealing any spotlights.

Oh yeah, it make perfect sense for Classic Sonic to be there again. Don't confuse my concerns with genuine complaints. Sonic 2017 is the first 3D Sonic game I've been excited for in a while, the tone was absolutely perfect.

Netkeeper
07-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Oh yeah, it make perfect sense for Classic Sonic to be there again. Don't confuse my concerns with genuine complaints. Sonic 2017 is the first 3D Sonic game I've been excited for in a while, the tone was absolutely perfect.
Oh okay legit! I'm not sure what to think of this 3D game yet myself so I'll just sit back and watch for now.

Wildcat
07-24-2016, 10:21 PM
@Tmnt Guy, well when you use words like "pandering to nostalgia" and "stealing a spotlight" it sounds like a complaint.

These are anniversary games so thats why Classic Sonic and Genesis era levels are being brought back. So it makes perfect sense. There's no pandering.

Mania is going to include Tails and Knuckles as playable characters. Maybe more if there's unlockables.

On a side note Sonic Mania is going to be download only. Which is a real bummer imo. I still have not played Sonic 4 because I thought they'd port them into some compilation or something. I still do...someday.

Its just a huge missed opportunity for a nice anniversary style box set or packaging. Some have said they might do a collector's edition but it really should have been physical media to begin with being an anniversary game.

Turo602
07-24-2016, 11:38 PM

I love Green Hill Zone simply because of how classic it is, but yeah, it's hard to get nostalgic over it when it's all Sega resorts to.

As for Sonic Mania itself, I think it looks pretty cool. I just wish they went with smoother updated graphics like that Sonic 2 fan remake. I'd actually like to see the original Sonic games remastered like that too someday. Anyway, this was one hell of a shocking announcement. Never saw Sega doing this in a million years.

Project Sonic 2017 looks interesting. The trailer didn't show much other than a darker tone reminiscent to Sonic '06 and the inclusion of Classic Sonic which is really awesome. I like how Sega seems to be taking their time with these games too so hopefully the time spent on this game shows. I just hope Modern Sonic doesn't follow that Unleashed formula again. I'd actually like to see a blend of Lost World's gameplay, with Sonic Adventure 2 level design, with some Unleashed styled adrenaline rushes peppered throughout.

TMNT_Guy
07-24-2016, 11:56 PM
@Tmnt Guy, well when you use words like "pandering to nostalgia" and "stealing a spotlight" it sounds like a complaint
Fair enough.

On a side note Sonic Mania is going to be download only. Which is a real bummer imo.
I'd agree with that. Sonic Mania isn't going to be small game either, its allegedly longer then Sonic Generations. Shame that it won't be on a Nintendo console either. I recently got a good gaming PC, so that's what I'm most likely going to play it on. But if it would get a physical release I'd definitely buy a copy.

Wildcat
07-25-2016, 12:48 AM
There's talk that other people would like to bring Mania to the 3DS. Itd still most likely be download only I assume.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NX got a different Sonic exclusive but Sega can't talk about it because Nintendo has not officially revealed the console.

Thats exactly why Wii and Wii U got separate Sonic games instead of 2006 and Unleashed. Because of the difference in controls.

I know Unleashed was on Wii but that version and the PS2 one were significantly different from 360/PS3.

The Deadman
07-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Fair enough.

I'd agree with that. Sonic Mania isn't going to be small game either, its allegedly longer then Sonic Generations. Shame that it won't be on a Nintendo console either. I recently got a good gaming PC, so that's what I'm most likely going to play it on. But if it would get a physical release I'd definitely buy a copy.

They didnt put Sonic 4 Ep. 2 on the Wii either, even though Ep 1. was released on there.

Netkeeper
07-25-2016, 10:37 AM
They didnt put Sonic 4 Ep. 2 on the Wii either, even though Ep 1. was released on there.
Did they really? Wow. w o w.

oldmanwinters
07-28-2016, 01:57 PM
8 minutes of Sonic Mania gameplay:
-BCf-3lSMug
http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/28/12312044/sonic-mania-gameplay-video

Crafty redesign of Green Hill. My favorite part is the tricky hill hop or fall to spring that starts around the 2:15 mark.

Cure
07-28-2016, 03:40 PM
Yeah, now that I see more of it, definitely not into it.

oldmanwinters
07-28-2016, 06:50 PM
Yeah, now that I see more of it, definitely not into it.

What's not to love?:tcry:

ssjup81
07-28-2016, 07:27 PM
Sonic Mania looks fun to me. I would't mind playing it.

TMNT_Guy
07-28-2016, 09:17 PM
Looks good.

I know Sonic is a lighter shade of blue in this game to match his modern classic artwork, but I like how it makes it feel like a continuation of the art style from Knuckles Chaotix. Knuckles had a lighter shade of red in that game. Really does add to the idea that this would've been the next Sonic game had the series continued in this style.

Studiopolis gives me more of a Tempo vibe then a Sonic vibe, both games tackle the same surreal 90s imagery so it's understandable.
http://www.sega-16.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/9.gif

Cure
07-28-2016, 10:09 PM
What's not to love?:tcry:

Green Hill Zone, for one.
The graphics are ugly.
Nothing about it looks terribly exciting or new to me.

I'm more interested in the other one, even though I hope it doesn't stick with a super serious tone.

oldmanwinters
07-28-2016, 10:13 PM
Green Hill Zone, for one.
The graphics are ugly.
Nothing about it looks terribly exciting or new to me.

I'm more interested in the other one, even though I hope it doesn't stick with a super serious tone.

The gameplay and level design is what is really getting me excited.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Looks good.

I know Sonic is a lighter shade of blue in this game to match his modern classic artwork, but I like how it makes it feel like a continuation of the art style from Knuckles Chaotix. Knuckles had a lighter shade of red in that game. Really does add to the idea that this would've been the next Sonic game had the series continued in this style.

Studiopolis gives me more of a Tempo vibe then a Sonic vibe, both games tackle the same surreal 90s imagery so it's understandable.
http://www.sega-16.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/9.gif

The first footage also gave me a very 32X vibe, and I loved it for being a logical progression of that style. Tempo was the one 32X game I never owned but wanted to play, even though the music and gameplay seem underwhelming to me on YouTube. It had some great sprite animation though, and it looks like SonicMania does as well.

Turo602
07-28-2016, 10:48 PM
While I love the new animations in Sonic Mania, why couldn't the game look like this?
lMhg-JXoURo

I get what they were going for but it's not exactly necessary. Not that I hate the way the game looks now, but the graphics could have definitely been improved and no one would have been angry because the design and gameplay are the important things to preserve here, not the 16 bit graphics. Just like people are digging the new expressiveness of Sonic, they would have totally appreciated some HD visuals.

Cure
07-28-2016, 10:55 PM
That would have been great. It looks awesome.

TMNT_Guy
07-29-2016, 05:13 AM
While I love the new animations in Sonic Mania, why couldn't the game look like this?
Christian "The Taxman" Whitehead already answered that: (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211220154&postcount=1640)
All the screens and footage of GHZ are from the playable demo, which was just the first act. GHZ Act 1 is probably the tamest classic level of the lot, but I can't say much more than that until Sega reveals more info on the story and stuff in the future.

The reception for Sonic Mania has been pretty wild, and I'm really happy most people seem to dig it. I realise Saturn-esque retro 2D stuff isn't for everyone but this was the most effective way for our indie sized team to develop a good chunk of fun content in the time frame, rather than something like 4 zones with potentially forgettable HD graphics.

P.S. there are some nice CRT filters in addition to those "highest quality, uncompressed pixels" ;)
For a small development team that probably doesn't even have a dozen people working on it, I think it looks great.

oldmanwinters
07-29-2016, 08:32 AM
Christian "The Taxman" Whitehead already answered that: (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211220154&postcount=1640)

For a small development team that probably doesn't even have a dozen people working on it, I think it looks great.

Thanks for digging up that quote! Count me among those Saturn-esque aficionados!

Turo602
07-29-2016, 12:08 PM
The fan remake that I showed above was also made by a small group of people. I also don't like how "HD graphics" turned into "potentially forgettable HD graphics" just because he couldn't do it. Honestly, I don't think there's any good excuse other than they're trying to do this quick which already sounds bad.

Mew
07-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Sonic Mania looks fantastic. I'm sure it will be fun.

Ninjinister
07-29-2016, 01:10 PM
The fan remake that I showed above was also made by a small group of people. I also don't like how "HD graphics" turned into "potentially forgettable HD graphics" just because he couldn't do it. Honestly, I don't think there's any good excuse other than they're trying to do this quick which already sounds bad.

Fan games also have infinite time and no leash from a bigger company.

Turo602
07-29-2016, 02:28 PM

Yeah, but that's kind of my point. There shouldn't be a leash and if a bigger company is behind this thing, then why can't they make it look better than a fan game? I would have accepted if the graphics were like that as a way of recapturing the feeling of playing Sonic on the Genesis but to say that it was done because HD graphics are potentially forgettable and because they could accomplish more in the time it'd take to make 4 zones in HD just doesn't sound good to me considering Sega is behind this. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much digging the game, but it's hard not to be a little disappointed when you know better exist. Like those Unreal Engine 4 videos of Ocarina of Time.

TMNT_Guy
07-29-2016, 02:37 PM

Exactly. That fan project you showed has been in development for eight years. It's still not even close to being done.

Also his "4 zones with potentially forgettable HD graphics" was a jab at the official Sonic the Hedgehog 4 which, well those games speak for themselves.

Turo602
07-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Exactly. That fan project you showed has been in development for eight years. It's still not even close to being done.

Also his "4 zones with potentially forgettable HD graphics" was a jab at the official Sonic the Hedgehog 4 which, well those games speak for themselves.

Which wouldn't take nearly as long if it were backed by Sega.

So my question wasn't answered then? Because I never said why couldn't it look like Sonic The Hedgehog 4, I said why couldn't it look like Sonic 2 HD. One game has 3D visuals the other is a lot more simple by comparison.

ssjup81
07-29-2016, 03:58 PM
So...what exactly was wrong with Sonic 4? I remember having fun playing through it. The controls worked okay, no problems there. It ran like an old-school Sonic game...so what was the problem?

Anyway, came across this video. Nice easter eggs...tXJyezdI4Uk

Turo602
07-29-2016, 04:19 PM
So...what exactly was wrong with Sonic 4? I remember having fun playing through it. The controls worked okay, no problems there. It ran like an old-school Sonic game...so what was the problem?

Anyway, came across this video. Nice easter eggs...tXJyezdI4Uk

I enjoyed Sonic The Hedgehog 4 very much. It wasn't a bad game by any means, but it failed miserably at recreating the classic Sonic experience. Something Generations later went on to do correctly and now Sonic Mania even more so.

TMNT_Guy
07-29-2016, 05:23 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was backed by Sega so...yeah.

It's been explained multiple times why they don't have enough time to make hand drawn style graphics. Even with all the money in the world there's only so much you can get done in time when you have less then a handful of people working. Taxman's team is simply to small to work on something like that.

Who knows? Maybe if the game is successful enough they can get a bigger team and tackle a more advanced art style.

Well, Sonic 4 controlled adequately at best and had questionable level design at worst. Sonic 4 stirs of a lot of controversy with some fans, but to summarize the game was just mediocre. The game was billed as a sequel to Sonic CD, one of the most popular games in the entire series, and for it to be a mostly forgettable game didn't sit well with some people, neither does the fact that Dimps' own Sonic Advance managed to be a far more faithful game to the classics than Sonic 4 did.

Not to mention the same year as the release of Episode 2 the fan games Sonic Before the Sequel and Sonic After the Sequel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic%3A_After_the_Sequel) came out and pretty much toppled Sonic 4 in every category imaginable.

Some people can't stand it, some people don't see anything wrong with it, there never seems to be a middle ground with Sonic 4.

Turo602
07-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was backed by Sega so...yeah.

So what? Where's that going? Last I checked, Sonic 4 has beautiful graphics.

It's been explained multiple times why they don't have enough time to make hand drawn style graphics. Even with all the money in the world there's only so much you can get done in time when you have less then a handful of people working. Taxman's team is simply to small to work on something like that.

Yes, so why does there have to be a time limit and why couldn't Sega expand his team? It's not an impossible task. They either didn't think to make the game look that nice from the beginning or Sega is holding them back.

oldmanwinters
07-29-2016, 07:11 PM
Some people can't stand it, some people don't see anything wrong with it, there never seems to be a middle ground with Sonic 4.

Honestly, I think I'm one of the few in the middle with it. I don't think it's very good, but I do get some enjoyment out of it, especially the art direction in the snowy carnival zone of the sequel. It gameplay shift between Episodes 1 and 2 is a bit jarring and it's disappointing we will probably never get an Episode 3. Overall, it's a "meh" game that I wish didn't have that coveted #4 attached to it, because it suggests close continuity with the Genesis games... but is clearly a product of a post-Dreamcast approach to Sonic theory.

Yes, so why does there have to be a time limit and why couldn't Sega expand his team? It's not an impossible task. They either didn't think to make the game look that nice from the beginning or Sega is holding them back.

Even the great Sonic 3 had to make its "Hedgehog Day" deadline! Fortunately, we ended up getting "Sonic & Knuckles" out of the whole deal.

TMNT_Guy
07-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Honestly, I think I'm one of the few in the middle with it. I don't think it's very good, but I do get some enjoyment out of it, especially the art direction in the snowy carnival zone of the sequel. It gameplay shift between Episodes 1 and 2 is a bit jarring and it's disappointing we will probably never get an Episode 3. Overall, it's a "meh" game that I wish didn't have that coveted #4 attached to it, because it suggests close continuity with the Genesis games... but is clearly a product of a post-Dreamcast approach to Sonic theory.
That's more or less how I feel about. I'm curious what you mean about the continuity though. I thought it did a great job linking the Classic era up with the Modern era, Episode Metal in particular. Showing Eggman picking up and fixing the remains of Metal Sonic from Stardust Speedway in Sonic CD and even explaining why Metal Sonic is special compared to the other Sonic robots.

retr0pia75
08-02-2016, 01:27 AM
One thing about Mania that I'm curious about is how they're going to do the special stages. Are they going to make revamped versions of the ones of the original games, or just flat-out new ones entirely?

oldmanwinters
08-02-2016, 03:15 PM
That's more or less how I feel about. I'm curious what you mean about the continuity though. I thought it did a great job linking the Classic era up with the Modern era, Episode Metal in particular. Showing Eggman picking up and fixing the remains of Metal Sonic from Stardust Speedway in Sonic CD and even explaining why Metal Sonic is special compared to the other Sonic robots.

I didn't mean timeline continuity, but aesthetic continuity. Sonic Adventure did a very good job of translating the look of classic Sonic into a 3D model, despite the more radical changes seen in the promotional artwork. Sonic Adventure 2 brought the 3D model more in line with the artwork, giving Sonic a sleeker and taller presence. The two big gameplay changes brought about by the Dreamcast era were the homing attack and the run animation, which abandoned the illusion that Sonic's feat move in an impossible circular loop.

The homing attack forever changed the platforming strategy of the games, and it was probably a necessary evil to keep the player from frustration in many missed targets and cheap deaths. Just try to leap atop the egg capsules at the end of an Act in Sonic Adventure and you'll probably know what I mean. Nevertheless, careful jump and roll placement were key to the core mechanics of the Genesis games, as Sonic could bounce high after hitting an enemy with lots of forward or vertical momentum and sometimes reach higher points. The homing attack essentially resets all momentum with each correct execution.

The run animation in Sonic 4 would have likely benefited from a less realistic but more retro-inspired style. Whereas Sonic's realistic movement is understandable in full 3D, in 2D it makes him look like his sliding across the ground if he's not up to full speed. The older animations sold the illusion that he stepped with more of a purpose. I previously mentioned the loss of rolling strategy from the Genesis games, and it's very strange to see Sonic assume a vulnerable position when he gets airborne after rolling up a slope.

Furthermore, Sonic 4 has little in common with Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Sonic 3 built upon Sonic 2, making changes that benefited the new title, and Sonic 2 clearly built upon the foundation laid by Sonic 1. Sonic 4 plays like 3D Sonic but tries to look like Sonic 1. My expectations for "Sonic 4" assume that all previous entries in the series would be considered. Perhaps if the game had received an "Episode 3," things questions might have been addressed.

Thus, when I play Sonic 4, it is clear to me that it is not a logical sequel to the old games, but simply an experiment to take the 3D progress back into the 2nd dimension.

EDIT: To say something positive about Sonic 4, I like the weirdness of the Sonic/Tails team-up moves in Episode 2. And the snowy park is beautiful and Christmasy.

The Deadman
09-04-2016, 10:09 PM
TiElIdC97kE

TMNT_Guy
09-13-2016, 10:21 PM
http://www.sonicretro.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/CsPSt85VYAEHUpm-300x257.jpg (http://www.sonicretro.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/CsPSt85VYAEHUpm.jpg)

A "Collectors Edition" for Sonic Mania has been announced. It comes with a download key so the game is still digital only which is disappointing. Still, that Sonic statue in pretty cool. When you flip the power switch on the Mega Drive/Genesis it plays the classic "SEGA" chant.

It's 69.99 and available for PC, Xbox One and PS4. Apparently it's only available for a limited time.
http://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/en/game-info/sonicmania/collectors/#purchase

Wildcat
09-13-2016, 10:37 PM
This is really nice but ya...the whole point of a collector's edition should have been a physical copy of the game. It's soooo easy to put this on a disc.

Standard PS4/Xbox1 case with that exact box art with DISC inside.

Statue and ring cart could have still been included.

Shark_Blade
09-14-2016, 07:13 AM
I'll get it digital then just like Sonic 4 Episode 1 & 2. :)

oldmanwinters
09-18-2016, 12:08 PM
I'll get it digital then just like Sonic 4 Episode 1 & 2. :)

I expect to go the Steam route. Curious to know how much it will retail for at Launch and whether I can be patient enough to wait for an inevitable discount.