PDA

View Full Version : Spraypaint 80s Turtles

MelvinGI
09-05-2012, 02:09 AM
Hi all.

For a series of lamps that I'm trying to make I need to spraypaint the Turtles in a high gloss black paint. As I suspected spraypainting directly on the Turtles wouldn't work. So I tried a primer for plastics (there is no more info on the can), but after 3 layers the black spraypaint still won't hold.
Can anyone tell me what I need to do? I do not have time for sanding, or to use a brush.
All help is welcome, and in the end I'll post some pics of the result.

Wes
09-05-2012, 02:33 AM
Hm -- what paint are you using? I've used Duplicolor (fabric/vinyl) and Liquitex spraypaints and haven't had any problems getting the paint to stick. Takes a few coats to get complete coverage, naturally, but there aren't any obvious problems and I don't bother priming the figures beforehand. (One does have to wash the figures first, though, and sometimes I do some light surface sanding -- though that's normally because I'm sanding anyway to minimize paint rub at the joints.)

Discogod
09-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Yeah, like Wes says, you'll need to give the figures a good scrub in warm soapy water before painting.

What brand of paint are you using? An acrylic-based paint's the best bet, as this won't react with the plastic like enamel-based paints can (leaving a sticky surface).

MelvinGI
09-05-2012, 03:24 AM
I've used 2 different brands of a high gloss varnisch made for plastics.
They're both brands from The Netherlands, so I assume not a lot of people will know them (Gamma and Flexa) outside of The Netherlands. I will do some googling on where to buy your suggestions. Thanks!

MelvinGI
09-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Beforehand I washed them in warm soapy water. On the can it doesn't say if it's acrylic or enamel, but because it's not sticky I assume it's not enamel.

MelvinGI
09-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Just got me a can of the Dupli-Color, and holy crap!
Just one layer and already far better then the rest.
THANKS!!!!