PDA

View Full Version : Matty Collector Ghostbusters

mysterycolor
09-09-2012, 02:41 AM
I have not been collecting these but my brother has and I have been helping him complete the collection on holidays and other special occasions. recently they released the Dana figure (well actually, "there is no Dana, only Zuul") and it could not be more obvious that they didnt receive the likeness rights to Sigourney Weaver.

http://collecting.mattycollector.com/CmsData/MuseumItem/1594/Images/img.png

I think it is a shame because I really liked the other ones... here is a link to check them out- thoughts anyone?
http://collecting.mattycollector.com/Pages/MuseumTypes.aspx?Id=19

stapeanc
09-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Well if you want one with her likeness, you could have someone customize a head for her.

Scud
09-09-2012, 09:06 PM
For not having the likeness rights, it still looks a lot like her. I can see it in the cheekbones. Maybe I just love that movie a lot so I can tell it's her more easily.

Discogod
09-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Umm... They DID have likeness rights (that's why it's taken so long to get a Dana, the approval was still being worked out). It's just a sh*tty sculpt, like most of the other GB figures.

Biggest waste of a license in recent history. I had such high hopes for this line...

Floyd91
09-23-2012, 10:14 PM
The packaging mural is great.

Kevin G
10-06-2012, 05:52 PM
I have a love and hate relationship for Matty Mattel's Ghostbusters line.

It's a shame they canceled the line, because they could have done so much. I thought they charged way too much money for their 6 inch and 12 figures. $30 for a six inch figure (that comes with one or two accessories) and $70 to $80 for 12 inch figures. I could understand if these were Hot Toys or Sideshow Collectibles were the likeliness was spot on. I felt (especially Ray) their likeness was not at all that great. Also the tube that is suppose to connect to the proton pack just goes behind the pack.

I once voiced that they should list their Ghostbusters figures as limited editions. Because they didn't last long on their official site (the 6 inch and 12 inch figures would sell quickly), so you would have to go on ebaY and spend three times as much as you would buy it on their site. $40-$50 bucks, $30 if you were lucky or won a bid.

I was disappointed with The Real Ghostbusters line. Not only were they not in scale with the Ghostbusters figures but I really wanted a Boogie man or Sandman figure. We never got these figures as kids, I figured here's are chance.

Also I was tired of variations. I understand a lot of action figure companies do that with their figures. But they should have at least release two different figures, one variant and one a different character. We didn't even get a Janine Melnitz or Gozer figure.

NECA's Ghostbusters were really good. Shame it only lasted one series and Bill Murray didn't approve of the likeness.

I mean, I love, love Ghostbuster and are happy we finally got film based figures. But Matty was a poor choice. They made promises they can't keep and I feel they reall scum bagged everyone when they canceled their ECTO-1 subscription. I wish Diamond Select released some figures instead of statues, minmates and banks. It would be cool to have Ghostbusters figures with ghosts and bases.

Now, I have to go on ebaY and spend $40-$50 on figures that I could have got less when they were released.

Brodie
10-06-2012, 09:08 PM
The prices were nuts. I lucked out and found the holiday set of all 4 GBs and Slimer, sans the hats (I found the packaging with them not wearing them) for $45.

ALternatively, someone sent me the RGB Venkman, and I like the packaging too much to open. I cant complain really.

Digital Ghost
10-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Totally agree about the GB figure line...
I purchased several of 'em... but I probably spent twice as much time searching as I would have other lines of figures, just to get them at somewhat reasonable prices.
The accessory I like the most is the Vigo lenticular painting.

Rat_King
11-06-2012, 06:33 AM
I think the downfall of the line was how much they rereleased the same character with a different body. I know that reusing molds cuts down on cost but come on. The Terror Dogs NECA put out were amazing and that's why Matty said they wouldn't make them. Never mind the fact that they are in hot demand and sell for wayyyyyyy too much on eBay. If they had remade them they would have sold out instantly. Don't get me wrong, I like having the different versions of the guys but there are so many ghosts and supporting characters we should have gotten before "I believe you Ray" and three different versions of slimmer.

P.S. My Stay Puft is changing color from white to the yellow foam he is filled with. Booooooooooooooooooo!

Atchison
12-30-2012, 01:09 PM
I think Matty Collector is turning out some decent figures, particularly Egon. I like the detail on the movie prop ghost trap. I've found the MOTUC line to be of high quality as well. I have the massive Granamyr Matty Collector recently released. I'm also excited from the Dec 2013 release of Castle Grayskull (I've got my pre-order).

Kevin G
12-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love their He-Man: Masters of the Universe line but they really treated their Ghostbusters line like crap.

Atchison
12-30-2012, 04:03 PM
The MOTUC line certainly benefits from its large base of subscribers. The Ghostbuster line is great but would likely be better if Matty Collector could leverage a similar level of capital pre-production.

Wildcat
01-29-2013, 12:19 AM
The only movie based figure I want is the 12 inch Ray. The likeliness is ok but hes my fave out the movies and the details with the proton pack are great.

I dont care much for the 6 inch figs although I would like the accessory ghosts. Especially such a bit-part one like from the theater. Really a cameo ghost lol.

I have Retro Action RGB Egon and Janine/Samhain 2-pack. I guess Ive always liked the cartoon style better. Which is why it upsets me they used the movie-mold for the guns. The cartoon gun was different. Had a wrapping cable a pointed barrel. Other than that great figs and real clothing.