PDA

View Full Version : sculpting???

Doomsdayninja
11-26-2012, 11:32 AM
What is the preferred brand of sculpted used for customs?

Marksenad
11-27-2012, 02:42 AM
A lot of people use Green stuff but another one is Aves Apoxie which from my understanding is a two part putty aswell. I would tell you what it's like but im still waiting in the mail for it.
As for Green stuff i have no dramas with it, but then again thats all i know :lol:

Plasticplayhouse
11-27-2012, 06:59 AM
i use aves apoxie sculpt. its great stuff. pretty easy to work with and durable. for a 1lb set it will run you about $28. ($16 for putty & $11 for shipping). from the time you mix it, you have about a three hour working time. another popular item (especially before aves) was milliput. i never used it but i know many who have.

Doomsdayninja
11-27-2012, 08:21 PM
So no hobby stores carry these? You HAVE to order them?

TheMasterTurtle
11-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Ive also used the above materials. I enjoy using the apoxies. The downside with self curing is the work time. I have mix ed some up before, something came up and I had a wasted batch so I learned to work on a small scale.

Another material I work with is super sculpey. I really enjoy working with it but it can be brittle which is the downside. There are no limitations for work time. To cure, you bake it.

It really depends on the project you are trying to do. I will usually use super sculpey when I want to reproduce something via mold making. On the other hand when I make some quick additions to figures or things of that nature I use the apoxie. The materials work differently so it just requires you to get used to them.

I always mail away for my apoxie, super sculpey you can pick up at hobby shops

Marksenad
11-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Games workshop carries Greenstuff, i know Australia, the UK and some other parts of Europe have those stores... Not sure about America

Plasticplayhouse
11-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Games workshop carries Greenstuff, i know Australia, the UK and some other parts of Europe have those stores... Not sure about America

yeah, Games Workshop stores are all over the US. they're great stores!

Marksenad
11-29-2012, 03:58 AM
My Aves Apoxie came in the mail today, its value for money, HEAPS easier to mold with in comparison to Green stuff.
Just waiting for the 24 hours to pass to see how it sets

Plasticplayhouse
11-29-2012, 06:23 AM
My Aves Apoxie came in the mail today, its value for money, HEAPS easier to mold with in comparison to Green stuff.
Just waiting for the 24 hours to pass to see how it sets

it sets "functionally" at about the 3 hour mark. at that point you can start sanding it and painting it. though i've noticed over the years of using it that its at its hardest after two days. if you sand within the first day your sand paper will get gummed up but after a couple of days the sanding process is smoother and the sand paper doesnt get as gummed up so you get a better sanding from it. either way its still workable. many times i get to work sanding and painting only a few hours after i sculpted.