PDA

View Full Version : Question on Nick TMNT Production

Redemption
12-30-2012, 06:40 PM
How long does playmates continue to make items like the shellraiser and the lair? When the new toys start to come out do they continue on making the older items or switch production to the new ones?

I always wondered if later on down the road certain things will not be available in the stores anymore.

tmntman
12-30-2012, 10:13 PM
It's generally up to stores. Playmates will usually offer the products if stores want to order more. They probably will have a minimum threshold of orders that they need to receive before producing more. But generally, the biggest expenses in toy production are the sculpting and making the steel, mass production molds. So if they can get stores to buy more, Playmates will probably produce them.

pannoni1
12-31-2012, 04:09 PM
They will continue to make the older figures as long as demand remains economically viable. Remember in 1990-91 at the peak of the first generation when some stores would have an entire aisle full of TMNT stuff?

We're currently in a waxing phase with the Nick figures, meaning that demand is outpacing production. Nick doesn't want the fad to grow to quickly so they want lots of time to build a fanbase. By summer/fall 2013, you'll likely see a larger selection of TMNT merchandise than you ever did in October/early November as long as demand and support remains. On another thread, we're also now entering a seasonally weak season for toy merchandise.

Zulithe
01-01-2013, 03:33 AM
It's not the 80s anymore... I would not expect a lot of the items to hang around on shelves too long. Unless Playmates does all-new basic versions to replace the one we have, we should see those figures boxed in assortments for a long time, even with newer figures. But a lot of the other stuff won't be as easy to find in a year or so. Would not be surprised if the Lair and Shellraiser are nowhere to be found by next Christmas. These are items that take up quite a lot of shelf space, and frankly, neither are very good products. Shellraiser looks kinda neat on the outside but the interior is totally void of anything. It's junk. The Lair is big but that is about all it has going for it. Poor build quality and long construction phase are hurting it, take a look at any site that reviews these items and see for yourself. Add all this up and then look at the prices being asked for both of these and you should have your answer.

I see parents leaning more towards the new LEGO TMNT stuff for their kids than the Playmates stuff. It fits in nicely with all the Ninjago stuff they probably already have :p

Redemption
01-18-2013, 12:49 PM
I have noticed places are getting shipments of the basic figures and new stuff. None of the original release vehicles.