PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Differences in each game

Redmage1987
01-24-2013, 03:49 AM
Alright, so I've watched reviews and read guides on my favorite Ninja Turtle Games (Which are the three for NES, Turtles in Time, Hyperstone Heist, and their Arcade counterparts) and I've noticed that just about all of them give out statistics for the turtles (which is usually just made up crap that they never tested before making their video or guide).

Like, for instince, some people will review TMNT2: The Arcade Game for NES and say that Leo is the strongest, Raph is the fastest, Mikey has the most defense, and Don has the longest reach. When actually (from my experience playing the game anyway) all four turtles are the exact same in that game and the only reason to choose any turtle is just to play as your favorite. They have the same speed, special moves, strength, defense, everything!

So I decided to start this project and actually find out how different each Turtle is in each game, what makes each one unique and what advantage they have over the other turtles in the specific game.

I'm going to be making damage charts to show strength, as well as picture and video evidence of speed, range, and defense (Although I've never once noticed any turtle having better defense than any other turtle in any game).

I'm going to be starting this project off with TMNT2: The Arcade Game for NES. I'm not sure if I'll do the first game on NES, but I might.

I'm off to test Leonardo's stuff and make a damage chart for him! I'll post my findings when I'm done!

oldmanwinters
01-24-2013, 06:29 AM
Yeah, RedMage, I really don't think the basic skill sets of the Turtles is any difference in the 2nd and 3rd NES games, outside of their special moves in the Manhattan project.

In the actual Arcade games, however, the turtles do seem to be slightly different (Raphael even has a unique roll attack). This is especially noticeable in the SNES Turtles in Time, where Raphael is clearly the fastest (and has a glass jaw), and Michelangelo is the slowest (or maybe it was Donatello?). Power characters like Mikey tend to require slightly briefer combos to take out villains while Raphael's combos may require a couple more hits, but the power stat is almost irrelevant when the game is clearly all about combos.

Coola Yagami
01-27-2013, 09:36 PM
yeah the first arcade game gave Raph that roll, and Don had slightly longer each, but other than that they were the same.

Turtles in Time defined them more, making Don strong and slow and with the longest reach, Raph fast but takes heavy damage, Leo normal but with longer reach, and Mikey normal

of course Don was the power player in the first NES game, if he dies, you might as well quit the game. Raph was the weakest due to his super short range.

TMNT III was kinda the same, but Leo and Don had longer reach. However, Raph wouldn't have that much of a short range since he thrusts his sais outwards instead of swinging them.

DonatelloDomeHead31
02-25-2013, 08:55 PM
I mixed it up a bit when reviewing the Turtles in "Turtles in Time" Raph was the fastest---I agree with that. Leo was able to attack if an enemy snuck from behind (he would usually kick the person approaching). I found Michaelangelo to be a bit slow, but Donatello had the long range.

Anyways, that's my opinion and observation. It is different for others.

Great game too.

Redmage1987
02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
I mixed it up a bit when reviewing the Turtles in "Turtles in Time" Raph was the fastest---I agree with that. Leo was able to attack if an enemy snuck from behind (he would usually kick the person approaching). I found Michaelangelo to be a bit slow, but Donatello had the long range.

Anyways, that's my opinion and observation. It is different for others.

Great game too.

All the turtles can attack enemies if snuck up from behind, lol.

Sorry I haven't done much work for this yet, I went into the hospital for a few days. I'm back now though, and I've done some work for TMNT 2, I'll post here when I get more done.

Xav
02-26-2013, 03:14 PM
I have read Mike has the longest range in the 2nd NES game.
Turtles in Time defined them more, making Don strong and slow and with the longest reach, Raph fast but takes heavy damage, Leo normal but with longer reach, and Mikey normalNo way Don did the same damage as Leo, Mike was basically the tank with the strongest attack best defense and second slowest speed. You can see all their stats in the SNES manual.

shihe
02-26-2013, 07:44 PM
That's a pretty interesting project you got yourself there.

The kind of I tend to do whenever I get bored, lol.

When you do the original NES tmnt (the platformer one), be sure to notice how every turtle has a different advantage and disadvantage depending on the ENEMIES they face.

For example. The weird spider-like monsters that crawl in the ceiling, I think Mikey is good against them (one blow, they're dead) while Raph has to attack them at least 4 times to kill them.

Flame-dudes get whacked by Raph in one hit, while with Leonardo it will take several more hits to defeat him.

Just to name a few examples (which are probably wrong, but just to give you an idea). Remember to try out every enemy with every turtle.

Xav
02-27-2013, 05:19 PM
In the first game, I don't think the turtles do different damage based on enemies. Don does the most damage, followed by Mike at half-health, than Leo at half-health, than Raph, than Mike and Leo tied at full health.

shihe
02-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Nope, I'm 110% positive.

Some enemies are weaker against specific weapons, and stronger against other ones.

Donnie definitely has more power (you can tell on how quickly he takes down bosses), but there's more than that than just the strength attributes of each turtles. Their weapons deal different ammounts of damage to different enemies.

But now that you mention <half health dealing more damage... I'll have to go back to take another look just because I never took this into account.

I Crave Pizza No More
02-28-2013, 06:45 AM
I know for a fact that the instruction manual for the SNES Turtles in Time breaks down each turtle's skill rating by category. Don't have it handy to look at, but I remember speed, defense, and attack being among the ratings. There may have been one more, too, perhaps special attack.

shuriken
02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
In the first Nes game in terms of strength Leo's the weakest. It's Donnie, Mikey Raph and Leo. I've noticed some enemies are easier to kill with certain turtles, you have to hit them just right though. Raph for instance can kill the Foot blimps and most of the flying enemies in one blow, but the problem is that his range is so short you have a higher risk of getting hit yourself. I know Mikey Gets 2x as strong when at half life and Raph gets a lot stronger with 3 health balls left. I dunno about Leo, I never used him much. I would usually give him a weapon because his attack was so weak.
TMNT2 everyone was pretty much the same.
TMNT3 everyone did the same damage although Leo and Don's special attacks were the strongest, and Mikey's was practically a handicap.

ryukenden
02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
In the first NES game, despite every Turtle having the exact same sprite. Other than having their signature color on their bandanas and pads, for some reason, their signature color is on the front part of their shell. I would always give Leo the scroll sub-weapon to make up for the bizarre reason why his sword is so weak. Most of my friends always made Raph swim through the gauntlet full of electric seaweed and driving the Turtle Van. Myself included.

There was the Tournament Fighters games which did kind of copy off Street Fighter in some areas. I did remember Mikey being the strongest in Turtles in Time and Hyperstone Heist since two hits would take down a Foot Soldier while the others take three. There was the TMNT game adaptation with each Turtle having special ability like Leo being able to go through walls and Mikey using his chucks as a helicopter.

Xav
02-28-2013, 02:43 PM
In the first Nes game in terms of strength Leo's the weakest. It's Donnie, Mikey Raph and Leo. I've noticed some enemies are easier to kill with certain turtles, you have to hit them just right though. Raph for instance can kill the Foot blimps and most of the flying enemies in one blow, but the problem is that his range is so short you have a higher risk of getting hit yourself. I know Mikey Gets 2x as strong when at half life and Raph gets a lot stronger with 3 health balls left. I dunno about Leo, I never used him much. I would usually give him a weapon because his attack was so weak.Again normally Raph is stronger than Mike or Leo. But when they have 4 bars or lower, they will experience a boost in strength. Raphael is the only turtle that does not receive a boost of strength no matter how much life is remaining.