PDA

View Full Version : Fixing sticky enamel spray

Darkravager
01-24-2013, 01:43 PM
So, I am working to make a custom Slash figure, and I wanted to seal it up. Without doing my research, I used a gloss enamel spray to seal the figure. Now it is tacky, which I realize is a result of using the enamel spray. Can any of you more experienced custom makers give me any tips on fixing it? Would rubbing paint thinner on the figure get the enamel off? I'm ok with repainting the figure if I need to. I'm more concerned about the sticky nature of the enamel on it.

D-Nizzy
01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
It's going to be tough, but you'll need to get all of it off, probably damaging the paint work that you've done. Paint thinner or some other solvent is your best bet...

That's a painful lesson I've learned first hand myself. :tconfuse:

TVsRobLowe
01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Yep, you need to strip it. The paint you have added has likely formed a bond with the enamel, which means if you strip it, the paint is going as well. Unfortunately, in all my years there is nothing I've ever heard of that you can put on stop to stop the stickiness.

For stripping, your best bets are 90% rubbing alcohol, or Nail polish remover (which is diluted acetone).

The nail polish remover will burn your skin if exposed so wear gloves. Prolonged exposure of the figure to either can and will likely result in the figure melting, though less so with the rubbing alcohol.

Many times I've diluted nail polish remover with 1 part remover to 3 parts water, let the figure sit for an hour or so, rinse, then scrub clean with a toothbrush and it works fine. Other times I've come back after the hour and the figure has melted down to goop. PVC plastics, usually used on arms and legs, are the most susceptible to melting, though I've seen ABS plastic (hard plastic used on torsos) also deteriorate, but not melt.

...I'd recommend buying another Slash, personally.

Darkravager
01-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the help! It was just a thin coat that I sprayed on it, so I think I'll try to get it off with some rubbing alcohol or something first. But I may have to scrap it and start over, which wouldn't really break my heart a lot.