PDA

View Full Version : Question: Proper Paint for Nick TMNT Weapons

OrokuYoshiFilms
02-05-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm trying to find proper paints to paint my ninja turtles weapons. I recently mod-ed my Nunchaku with metal chains and since I was so excited how they turned out, I now wanna give my weapons the old "show-accurate paint treatment." By the way I've never mod-ed ANY toy/figure ever....any help would be greatly appreciated...

What paints are the best for simulating steel/metal for the blades?
What paints are the best for simulating wood?
What paints are best for painting that plastic? Will it chip off?
What paints are best for the gold end caps and hilt accents?
Whats the best way to apply the paint?

SN: Not so much interested in washes. Just want them to look like the exclusive set of figures with the actual painted weapons. No fancy stuff...

Discogod
02-06-2013, 03:41 AM
You'll want acrylics, as enamel paints won't try and will leave the plastic feeling tacky. Personally, I use Games Workshop's Citadel range - they're a little on the expensive side, but great quality. Best way of applying it is with a brush (a novel method, but I believe it'll catch on).

As for exact shades, that's something you'll have to check out for yourself - have a look at their range and decide what's best for what you need.

Other things to remember - always give whatever you're painting a good scrub in warm soapy water (to remove any residue from the moulding process), seal it afterwards with an acrylic-based varnish (I use either Humbrol or Citadel), and don't bother painting the handles - there's virtually no way to prevent rub there, so you'll find the paint coming off every time you put the weapons in the Turtles' hands (there's too much friction there)...

Plasticplayhouse
02-06-2013, 05:12 AM
...don't bother painting the handles - there's virtually no way to prevent rub there, so you'll find the paint coming off every time you put the weapons in the Turtles' hands (there's too much friction there)...

ding ding ding! this is soooo true. their grip is so tight and the plastic of the weapons doenst take the paint as well as other plastics.

D-Nizzy
02-06-2013, 06:23 AM
I finally figured this out, you need to base coat the weapons with Krylon Fusion, let them sit for four days and then paint them the acrylic colors of your choice. After that you won't get any paint rub. I base coated most of mine in silver, then painted the handles.

OrokuYoshiFilms
02-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Thanks everyone! This is a great deal of help.

D-Nizzy
02-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Here's a quick pic of some of my weapons...

I painted them months ago and they've been in and out of the figures' hands with no paint rub.

packratstudios
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM

I painted them months ago and they've been in and out of the figures' hands with no paint rub.

Those look spectacular! ... seriously gonna have to try that stuff

D-Nizzy
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Those look spectacular! ... seriously gonna have to try that stuff

Thanks! You really need to let them cure for a couple of days. At first it'll flake off if you handle them too much. Then, like magic, they'll be crazy-durable.

I've been testing the paint I want to use on the scrap trees if I have any doubts about how well a certain paint will work on these weapons.

A little *too* Raph
02-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Sweet I need to do this to mine, thanks for the tips!

mousesi2k
02-09-2013, 02:47 PM
I showed what I use in the Mikey's Nunchuck thread but ill show some better examples here. For all the the weapons, I used a cheap and effect method by way of the Sharpie Paint Pens! This is the end result after a few coats and a few days drying to cure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/MouseSi/49BB7F02-8528-4F95-BBF1-0B3C51DF8F29-1142-0000010E1D18F4BB_zps64c4bf28.jpg

These are the pens:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/MouseSi/660FD490-4D03-402B-A869-C236CF30FF58-210-0000000607BE8166_zps0c6c77c0.jpg

For Leo'd Swords: I used silver for the blades, brown on the handle and gold on the bottom piece

For Don's Bo: I actually bought 2 Dons so I have one done in white and one in purple

For Raph's Sai: I used silver on the bladed pieces, red om the handle and gold for the bottom piece

For Mikey's Chucks: I used gold for the top and bottoms.

For another example of what you could do if you took your time; Here is a picture of a Transformers Prime Starscream I repainted into Thundercracker with using only these paint pens!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/MouseSi/IMG_20120525_185429.jpg

(The orig figure is in the middle and the one I painted on the right)

Candy Kappa
02-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Dude, you did that with coloring pens *dot dot sot* That's pretty wicked

Plasticplayhouse
02-10-2013, 06:06 AM

Those look great. I tried fusion, but I only let it cure for a day and poor results. I'll try it again this time letting it cure for the 4 days you suggested :)

psychturtle
02-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the great information mousesi2k!!!

OrokuYoshiFilms
02-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Hey mousesi2k! Think those Sharpie Paint Pens will work on Splinters toes? I wanna paint them pink too like his fingers and tail. Or maybe since whatever shade of pink they have won't be exactly accurate I'll paint all his fingers/toes/tail the same color......if the paints work that is...

mousesi2k
02-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Hey mousesi2k! Think those Sharpie Paint Pens will work on Splinters toes? I wanna paint them pink too like his fingers and tail. Or maybe since whatever shade of pink they have won't be exactly accurate I'll paint all his fingers/toes/tail the same color......if the paints work that is...

Check your visitors message :)

And you are welcome Okstpsy :)

madyankees
05-12-2013, 02:31 AM
Can I check... How long does the Sharpie take to cure? I had tried mine and almost 1 week later the sharpie ink still rubbed off easily.

Did I do something wrong? Too many layers?

raph27
05-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Is there a dark red Sharpie Paint pen? I think that would be best for the handles. Red is a bit too bright.

kwalsh007
05-22-2013, 10:15 AM
D-Nizzy is right, the fusion krylon paint chemically bonds to the plastic. Its made specifically for plasticand is the closest youll get to factory quality toy paint.

OrokuYoshiFilms
05-22-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm gonna have to try that Krylon stuff...

kwalsh007
05-23-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm gonna have to try that Krylon stuff...

Yea, its really good stuff. Just be sure to really scrub the weapons squeaky clean with extra hot water and palmolive dish soap. Rinse, wipe and repeat. You want to remove all the mold release residue from the factory. If you do spray I would prop them up with pins stabbed into the hilts on one end and foam-core on the other end, that way you could get the most surface area when spraying and not have to worry about touching them to do the other side. Spread them out nice and wide, and if you have a spinny table thats even better.

Also if youre masking off diffrent areas I found that silly putty actually works better than tape, most of the time. Not nessesary but its a tip I wish I new earlier on in the customs game.

raph27
05-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Mousesi2k, may I just ask out of curiousity why you made Leo's handle a different color?

raph27
06-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Sorry for the double post. If you mixed brown and red what color would you get?

mousesi2k
06-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Mousesi2k, may I just ask out of curiousity why you made Leo's handle a different color?

Hey sorry it took so long to get back to ya on this. Anyways, Its actually the same color. I used the Brown Pen. The one on the right, was not fully dry at the time of the photograph so it appears darker.

And for the mixing of colors, I personally have not tried that. I would imagine youd wanna start with brown, and finish with the red. Thinking it would probley end up in a darker red maybe a maroon?

raph27
06-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Oh sorry, what I meant was why did you do Leo's handles in brown and the others red.:toops:

mousesi2k
06-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Oh sorry, what I meant was why did you do Leo's handles in brown and the others red.:toops:

Well, to be 100% honest with you. I had 2 Leo's. One set I painted the blue and the other set brown. I liked the brown set better. The second Leo with the blue swords, I gave to my nephew.

I never rebought a Raph, otherwise, I'd have painted his Sai(s?) brown aswell.

raph27
06-07-2013, 07:55 AM
SaiS. Thanks for responding.