PDA

View Full Version : Turtles against HATE, did I get scammed with a bootleg?

Y2Bogus
03-27-2013, 03:44 AM
I recently bought a used copy of the Turtles against HATE dvd and after receiving it in the mail, I'm wondering if I got scammed. The disc looks a lot different than my other discs. Does anyone who owns this disc know if it's supposed to look like this?

http://y2bogus.com/images/tmnt.jpg

TheSkeletonMan939
03-27-2013, 05:14 AM
Black-and-white? That's... odd. Pop it in your computer and see if there's copyright protection.

VaughnMichael
03-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Mine is color and it bought it the day it came out.
So I'm going to say yes unless it's from another country or something.:ohwell:

Master Splinter
03-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Mine is color and it bought it the day it came out.
So I'm going to say yes unless it's from another country or something.:ohwell:

I can almost bet that is a bootleg. You can tell because the white sticker goes over the center ring... I also think the disc should probably look something like this...

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad265/vapidx/PhotoMar0261611PM.jpg

I would also say that if the bottom of the disc is purplish then it is most definitely a bootleg. Official discs have a mirror like bottom, not purple.

-ms

Y2Bogus
03-27-2013, 02:36 PM
The bottom of the disc looks normal, it was the first thing I checked when I thought I'd been had, but that artwork screams fake to me.

tmntpower1988
03-27-2013, 03:46 PM
I can almost bet that is a bootleg. You can tell because the white sticker goes over the center ring... I also think the disc should probably look something like this...

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad265/vapidx/PhotoMar0261611PM.jpg

I would also say that if the bottom of the disc is purplish then it is most definitely a bootleg. Official discs have a mirror like bottom, not purple.

-ms

Bootleg DVDs can still have that silver bottom though. I have the Superman Legend bootleg DVD, it looks like the real deal with the silver bottom. Even the cover and disc artwork (since it's printed directly to the disc) is like the real deal too.

Powder
03-27-2013, 04:18 PM
I guess at the end of the day, as long as it works in a DVD player, it's not so bad. Did you get a case with the insert & stuff too?

Y2Bogus
03-27-2013, 05:01 PM
I guess at the end of the day, as long as it works in a DVD player, it's not so bad. Did you get a case with the insert & stuff too?

Nope, disc only

TheSkeletonMan939
03-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Nope, disc only

Then it's definitely a bootleg.

Roseangelo
03-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Even though something seems fishy, I wouldn't be so quick to call it a bootleg. Despite the simple label, the art actually looks high resolution and not a cheap copy. It also has all of the correct labels and company logos and trademarks.

Is the label screen printed, or inkjet printed on a sticker?

Also, how much did you pay?

Spitfire
03-27-2013, 08:58 PM
It's probably a Canadian release.

STORMSHADOW__210
03-27-2013, 10:39 PM
I just bought the complete 4kidsset series on bootleg,what is TMNT vs HATE? Is that a spinoff film or a mini series with a regular 4kids season?

Spitfire
03-27-2013, 10:50 PM
I just bought the complete 4kidsset series on bootleg,what is TMNT vs HATE? Is that a spinoff film or a mini series with a regular 4kids season?

It's one of the episode collections. Instead of season sets they released out of order volumes containing 4 to 5 episodes each.

STORMSHADOW__210
03-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Ahhhh ok, thanks! So assuming i do have the complete series then i should have it? What season did it air?

MrPliggins
03-28-2013, 12:46 AM
season...3, I think? Most of those releases mixed season 3 and 4 episodes...they couldn't have done it in a more confusing way.

Spitfire
03-28-2013, 01:05 AM
Ahhhh ok, thanks! So assuming i do have the complete series then i should have it? What season did it air?

Yeah it's an episode title. It's from Season 3.

Y2Bogus
03-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Even though something seems fishy, I wouldn't be so quick to call it a bootleg. Despite the simple label, the art actually looks high resolution and not a cheap copy. It also has all of the correct labels and company logos and trademarks.

Is the label screen printed, or inkjet printed on a sticker?

Also, how much did you pay?

It's not a sticker, the white is part of the disc and the artwork is a bit raised off the disc, kind of like how an iron-on would feel on a t-shirt

TheSkeletonMan939
03-28-2013, 05:30 AM

Finding one will be very hard. For whatever reason, this DVD is very rare.

tmntpower1988
03-28-2013, 11:59 AM

The Turtles Against Hate DVD has 5 episodes from seasons 3 and 4:

H.A.T.E. (Season 3)
Mission of Gravity (Season 3)
Time Travails (Season 3)
The People's Choice (Season 4)
Sons of the Silent Age (Season 4)

So yes since you have the complete series on bootleg you will have these episodes.

season...3, I think? Most of those releases mixed season 3 and 4 episodes...they couldn't have done it in a more confusing way.

That's the reason why I got the Australian season 3 and 4 releases.

Lethal Lullaby
03-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Maybe it's a manufacturing problem? I don't know... perhaps the company ran out of colored ink? I guess if the DVD works and a show plays just fine, then it isn't so bad. Unless it is a download/ pirated DVD. :-?

ObiWanFan4life
03-28-2013, 12:00 PM
I can't say for sure if it's a bootleg. put it in the DVD player

TheSkeletonMan939
03-28-2013, 01:34 PM
I can't say for sure if it's a bootleg. put it in the DVD player

Anything can work in a stupid DVD player, even pirated content.

Check to see if there's copyright protection at all. If you don't have VLC Player, download Handbrake and try to rip the DVD. If it can't, it means there's copyright protection. If it does, it's definitely a bootleg.

gobo
03-28-2013, 02:10 PM
There was never a black & white disc. So, unless it's a color disc you just scanned in b&w, it's a fake. Sorry, dude. :ohwell:

Ryanator008
03-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Anybody notice that it says Funimation on it?

Master Splinter
03-28-2013, 02:13 PM
They do make blank white labeled discs that you can print on using disc printers...

-ms

TheSkeletonMan939
03-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Anybody notice that it says Funimation on it?

It also says 4Kids TV, Mirage Studios, Region 1, DVD Video, and some text about the trademark belonging to Mirage.

Having 'FUNimation' on the disk label doesn't mean anything.

Roseangelo
03-28-2013, 06:25 PM
They do make blank white labeled discs that you can print on using disc printers...

-ms

But those discs would have a color dye on the bottom.

I still don't think this is a bootleg.

Metropoliskid41
03-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Anybody contacted Rich about this? I think if there was a variant related to a form of TMNT media he'd be the one to ask.

Roseangelo
03-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Anybody contacted Rich about this? I think if there was a variant related to a form of TMNT media he'd be the one to ask.

Rich only collects comics.

Spitfire
03-28-2013, 08:12 PM
What episodes are on it? Is it just one or two or more? Might also be one of those disks released with toys promoting the show. I never had any myself but I remember them.

I still think it's a release from another country.

Y2Bogus
03-29-2013, 03:51 AM
What episodes are on it? Is it just one or two or more? Might also be one of those disks released with toys promoting the show. I never had any myself but I remember them.

I still think it's a release from another country.

All 5 episodes are on it, full menus and everything

Ryanator008
03-29-2013, 05:08 AM
It also says 4Kids TV, Mirage Studios, Region 1, DVD Video, and some text about the trademark belonging to Mirage.

Having 'FUNimation' on the disk label doesn't mean anything.

But I'm pretty sure that they had nothing to do with these DVDs.

Jester
03-29-2013, 05:37 AM
I'm with Rose, it's too nice, even in Black and White, to be a bootleg.

Maybe, Spitfire's right...what's the Canadian disk look like?

Vivi
03-29-2013, 06:37 AM
If it's a bootleg it's probably not a new one as the funimation logo is pre-2011 - unless the bootleggers are on top of their game. Also, there is very nice layout & design in high quality on the surface. My tmnt dvds don't have the white ring around the center, so don't sweat that too much, but they are the australian version. If I had to guess, I would also say that it came with some kind of toy. I remember here that they released mini discs (the size of game cube games) containing one episode on them with certain toys - so anything's possible.

As they say on antiques roadshow, without good provenance the value is not as high.

gobo
03-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Is the "Mutant Munchies" DVD-rom Flash game on it?

Y2Bogus
03-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Is the "Mutant Munchies" DVD-rom Flash game on it?

Yup, it's there. I didn't even realize there was a game on it till I read your post. The disc shows up as 3.58 gig on my PC, is that correct?

snake
03-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Sounds like a foriegn release to me, where did you buy it?

Y2Bogus
03-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Sounds like a foriegn release to me, where did you buy it?

Purchased it used from Blockbuster online

Roseangelo
03-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Purchased it used from Blockbuster online

Why didn't you say that from the start? It's a rental. And why would you think Blockbuster would be selling bootlegs?

Y2Bogus
03-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Why didn't you say that from the start? It's a rental. And why would you think Blockbuster would be selling bootlegs?

It looked a lot different than the other discs I've gotten from Blockbuster which looked more like the releases I got new from Amazon. It wouldn't have shocked me if someone had rented it and sent back a bootleg in its place.

gobo
03-30-2013, 04:54 PM
It wouldn't have shocked me if someone had rented it and sent back a bootleg in its place.
That's kind of a silly assumption.