PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Eastman (current style) Rapahel

Plasticplayhouse
03-31-2013, 08:37 PM
it's time to go back...
...so to speak.
i decided to try to make a current style Kevin Eastman turtle. Kevin actually uses two different styles. there is the black and white drawings that contain all of that Eastman style hatching we see a lot of in the comics and then there is the style he uses when he paints covers or commissions. i always thought it was interesting that a lot of people think/assume Kevin colors his turtle's shells brown. however, if you notice from any of his paintings over the years, he always colors them green. it was a very tough choice, but i have always loved his painted work and i wanted this to be a true Eastman piece (not eastman and IDW colorist). this one was a challange. trying to get his shading/lines to look half way decent was a major pain in the neck. overall i think it turned out ok considering.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/FUGAYZIE/ke5_zps56300452.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/FUGAYZIE/ke1_zpsfea2bbb9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/FUGAYZIE/ke2_zpsd3158945.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/FUGAYZIE/ke4_zps80a93532.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/FUGAYZIE/ke3_zpsa67fcea7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/FUGAYZIE/ke10_zpsa67c9ee2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/FUGAYZIE/ke7_zpsb25ca4fe.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/FUGAYZIE/ke11_zps874da0ee.jpg

reference
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/FUGAYZIE/ref1-2_zps9d9beee4.jpg

Plasticplayhouse
03-31-2013, 08:37 PM
wips
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/FUGAYZIE/kewip1_zpsc8002ef5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/FUGAYZIE/kewip2_zps5daf0717.jpg

Powder
03-31-2013, 08:42 PM
Awesome, dude. The bandana, grin, & legs are especially on point. The only thing that seems a bit off is the rounded cheeks/beak. & it breaks my heart to even say that as I've felt you were 100% accurate with the rest, but I figure you'd want the criticism (if not I'm sorry, I mean well!). Still, it's fantastic. I think I would have liked to see this done in the NECA black and white style even more!

Plasticplayhouse
03-31-2013, 08:53 PM
Awesome, dude. The bandana, grin, & legs are especially on point. The only thing that seems a bit off is the rounded cheeks/beak. & it breaks my heart to even say that as I've felt you were 100% accurate with the rest, but I figure you'd want the criticism (if not I'm sorry, I mean well!). Still, it's fantastic. I think I would have liked to see this done in the NECA black and white style even more!

na dude, constructive crits are cool. i know its not perfect. it was so friggin hard to try and mimic kevin's style with all the angles and chiseled looking inks. appreciate the feedback man :)

Donnie
03-31-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm not a fan of Eastman's newer style (it's the grins/teeth), but your customs are always great man!

Jester
03-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Love it. I can see what Powder means about the beak, seems to me, there's a bit too much between the bandanna and the mouth...does that seem right?

TheCanadiandrome
04-01-2013, 12:01 AM
I love it! So cool

909 Turtle Fan
04-01-2013, 04:48 AM
Nice job, although with that smile he looks a lil more like Mike to me. :tgrin: i always like to see the wip pics, so cool. Did you make the weapons too?

kwalsh007
04-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Digging your style!! What type of sculpting material is that you used on him?

TurtleManiac
04-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Nice job on this one! The shell sculpt looks especially good and the pattern. Kevin Eastman style looks pretty cool with the box shaped plastron and the face overall looks like the old comics.

Digital Ghost
04-01-2013, 10:12 AM
AMAZING work as always man!

Slade
04-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Shoulda gave him a mean face:P

But I don't care! You know I love it. What you want for it?? 50? 100? 150? I know you won't sell it probably. But it's worth a shot. Wish I could just send you some base figures, apoxie and some coin and have you make me something

Plasticplayhouse
04-01-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm not a fan of Eastman's newer style (it's the grins/teeth), but your customs are always great man!
thank you for the compliment :) i've grown to like his teethy turtles. they're no where near as bad as khun's turtle teeth. just to clarify though, i really enjoy khun's style of tmnt. the way he draws their teeth is the only thing i'm not a fan of.

Love it. I can see what Powder means about the beak, seems to me, there's a bit too much between the bandanna and the mouth...does that seem right?
i see what you mean and that may very well be. though i noticed it doesnt look that bad in the pics that were shot straight on. some of the pics were shot at a slight downward angle.

I love it! So cool
thanks!

Nice job, although with that smile he looks a lil more like Mike to me. :tgrin: i always like to see the wip pics, so cool. Did you make the weapons too?
thank you. i like the grin. raph's happy he's going to get to kick some butt.

Digging your style!! What type of sculpting material is that you used on him?
thanks man! i use aves apoxie sculpt.

Nice job on this one! The shell sculpt looks especially good and the pattern. Kevin Eastman style looks pretty cool with the box shaped plastron and the face overall looks like the old comics.
thank you. i'm glad you dig it.

AMAZING work as always man!

Shoulda gave him a mean face:P

But I don't care! You know I love it. What you want for it?? 50? 100? 150? I know you won't sell it probably. But it's worth a shot. Wish u could just send you some base figures, apoxie and some coin and have you make me something

i was torn between angry raph and happy raph. i went with happy raph because you dont get to see him that way too often. yeah, i dont think i'll be letting go of this anytime soon. i really wanted to make a whole set of these, but at 18 man hours a piece it'd take me forever and there are so many other turtles i want to make. once i've made one in a particular style, it loses a little pep because i get that "been there; done that" feeling. i should have made this one a Leo because he's my favorite tmnt, but i chose raph because he is Kevin's favorite. if i manage to get to one of his appearances this year, i'll bring it with me and show it to him...maybe have him autograph the bottom of the foot.

Oculus Orbus
04-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Hey, that's my Black Label Leo!

Awesome man, as always.

Jester
04-01-2013, 02:17 PM
i see what you mean and that may very well be. though i noticed it doesn't look that bad in the pics that were shot straight on. some of the pics were shot at a slight downward angle.
Yeah, happens when you take a 2D drawing and make it 3D. Some angels just seem....off.

But it still looks great, as always.

Drose18
04-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Nice! I dont love the color of the front shell though but you're just doing what is most accurate soo. Its still awesome!

Plasticplayhouse
04-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Hey, that's my Black Label Leo!

Awesome man, as always.
is it? i just grabbed an image off google, lol.

Nice! I dont love the color of the front shell though but you're just doing what is most accurate soo. Its still awesome!

thanks. i kinda prefer the more tan color myself, but yet i always try to stick with my references :)

Oculus Orbus
04-03-2013, 07:20 AM
is it? i just grabbed an image off google, lol.

It is! I posted it online so I could show it here. Man, I love that art.

frank_one
04-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Wow, you always impress me! Now I want to see Eastman's vintage style and Laird's style.

Plasticplayhouse
04-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Wow, you always impress me! Now I want to see Eastman's vintage style and Laird's style.

thanks. well eastman's vintage style was pretty much taken care of by NECA. as of now, i have no plans to do a Laird style turtle, but that could change on any given day. i'm sure i'll get to it at some point once i've exausted move of the other styles i want to do.

Lampy
04-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Gotta agree with powder too. Eastman's style is kibd of edgy... literally. But I LOVE THIS CUSTOM. i love eastman's current style and thus comes pretty close. Wouldve looked cooler with more grit though... with his shading style. STILL PRETTY FREAKIN AWESOME. I guesed you were gna do this style a while back. And I like that u chose raph. The red bandanna with eastman's style feels like "home". Amazing job playhouse!

Metropoliskid41
04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
That's awesome! I think you pretty much captured the current Eastman style perfectly, especially great work with the colors and muscle detail! Great work as always man!

raven6859
04-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Another amazing figure, great work

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
04-15-2013, 01:12 PM
DUDE! Argh!
So awesome. I wish these were available to purchase. Also it makes me sad I missed in NECA Turtles...

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-09-2013, 03:42 AM
what was the base figure for this custom?

Slade
07-10-2013, 01:28 AM

a 2k7 figure I believe.

discordiatookie
07-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Great stuff as always man!

TVsRobLowe
07-10-2013, 05:22 AM
You really captured Eastman's Kirby influence with this. All of the Kirby-style hard shading is really well done.

Plasticplayhouse
07-10-2013, 05:34 AM
Gotta agree with powder too. Eastman's style is kibd of edgy... literally. But I LOVE THIS CUSTOM. i love eastman's current style and thus comes pretty close. Wouldve looked cooler with more grit though... with his shading style. STILL PRETTY FREAKIN AWESOME. I guesed you were gna do this style a while back. And I like that u chose raph. The red bandanna with eastman's style feels like "home". Amazing job playhouse!
thank you. it was a hard decision to add the "grit" but i decided to paint it to resemble his own color work. as you can see, his painted art looks very different from his black and white art. the black and white contains all the gritty black hatching.

That's awesome! I think you pretty much captured the current Eastman style perfectly, especially great work with the colors and muscle detail! Great work as always man!

Another amazing figure, great work

DUDE! Argh!
So awesome. I wish these were available to purchase. Also it makes me sad I missed in NECA Turtles...
Great stuff as always man!

You really captured Eastman's Kirby influence with this. All of the Kirby-style hard shading is really well done.
thanks guys :D

a 2k7 figure I believe.
a 2007 figure is correct

Discogod
07-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Man, I love this so much that it actually hurts a little. If I ever win the lottery, I'm gonna commission you to make me a set of Eastman TMNT...

Plasticplayhouse
07-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Man, I love this so much that it actually hurts a little. If I ever win the lottery, I'm gonna commission you to make me a set of Eastman TMNT...

lol, thanks Matt! so far this is the only one that i havent sold to someone who made me an offer i cant refuse or traded to the artist for original art - which i would gladly do if Kevin is ever interested in said offer. i'm just going to hold on to it and one day make a Laird style turtle and display them together. so far, i'm most attached to this eastman and the kuhn figures. i let the kuhn turtle go, but i like the guy who owns him and i know he gives it a good home, so i'm ok with it.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
08-04-2013, 06:27 AM
there is a spelling mistake in the thread title

Powder
08-04-2013, 06:36 AM
there is a spelling mistake in the thread title

All you ever do is spell things incorrectly, so it's really not your place to point that out. :lol: