PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with paint missing on fig.

TheBlueTurtle1
04-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Hey, So I got my Nick Mike today, and there is a small line of paint missing on his mask. I do not have any orange paint at hand, just wondered if there is any way to perhaps use a hair dryer to heat the paint around the area so it runs and covers the missing paint.

Its not the biggest of deal but if I can cover it with out spoiling the figure, then I would be happier with it.

TheMasterTurtle
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Unfortunately the paint wouldnt run. If youre looking to fix it at some point, apple barrel paints are inexpensive and would work fine for something small like this.

Donatello19
04-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Next time you buy a TMNT figure, just try to pick one that has the best paint, and then you wouldn't have this problem in the first place :) If it's that noticeable, then I would recommend buying some high quality paint to fix it, but make sure it is nearly the same color, just so much that you can't tell that you painted it. I would NOT do the thing with the hair dryer though, you may damage the figure.

TheBlueTurtle1
04-04-2013, 02:35 AM
yea, I ordered online, so was annoyed when I noticed the paint missing, I will not try the hair dryer, it is very minor, just thought I would see what I could do. Thanks guys

Shreddhead
04-04-2013, 02:55 AM
ya, Hair dryers can work if you want to "unbend" small figures, like swords and other weapons-And even then you have to be pretty careful. I've never heard of someone using it to melt the paint tho, I doubt it would work.

Wes
04-04-2013, 04:26 AM
No, a hairdryer won't damage the figure. You can run a hairdryer over your figures all day long and you won't do any permanent damage. (Unless, possibly, you're living in the UK? No hairdryer I've ever used has blasted air hot enough to remove stress marks or melt plastic, but some UK posters over on The Fwoosh have mentioned using them to do just that.)

On the other hand, hairdryers also won't make the paint run or help you to fix this issue! (It's not like paints are frozen and will melt; in fact I use a hairdryer to make paint dry faster.) Your best bet, as others have said (if it's really bugging you) is to buy some acrylic paint and try to touch it up. Take the figure to a craft store, hold it up to paint bottles, and look for the best match (note that sometimes paints look different when dry).

Anyway, pick the paint you think is closest (Apple Barrel was a good recommendation; personally I prefer Delta Ceramcoat when it comes to the cheaper brands), take it home, and get to retouching! If you notice the paint isn't a satisfactory match when dry, you can always return to the store for another bottle, or you can grab other paints (whether other oranges, yellows, or whites) and trying to mix the color... or you can just paint over the whole mask. It's not like there's any other orange on Mikey, so you don't have to worry about matching the orange to other areas! Also make sure to buy some poster tack; roll tiny balls and push them into the eye holes to keep yourself from painting the eyes by mistake. (You can also place strips of it above and below the mask to protect Mikey's skin.)

Good luck! :)

(Another option -- you buy another Mikey from the store with better paint, swap the figures, and then return the bad figure with your receipt. Or you can keep the bad one around for custom fodder. Up to you, dude!)

TheBlueTurtle1
04-04-2013, 11:38 AM
No, a hairdryer won't damage the figure. You can run a hairdryer over your figures all day long and you won't do any permanent damage. (Unless, possibly, you're living in the UK? No hairdryer I've ever used has blasted air hot enough to remove stress marks or melt plastic, but some UK posters over on The Fwoosh have mentioned using them to do just that.)

On the other hand, hairdryers also won't make the paint run or help you to fix this issue! (It's not like paints are frozen and will melt; in fact I use a hairdryer to make paint dry faster.) Your best bet, as others have said (if it's really bugging you) is to buy some acrylic paint and try to touch it up. Take the figure to a craft store, hold it up to paint bottles, and look for the best match (note that sometimes paints look different when dry).

Anyway, pick the paint you think is closest (Apple Barrel was a good recommendation; personally I prefer Delta Ceramcoat when it comes to the cheaper brands), take it home, and get to retouching! If you notice the paint isn't a satisfactory match when dry, you can always return to the store for another bottle, or you can grab other paints (whether other oranges, yellows, or whites) and trying to mix the color... or you can just paint over the whole mask. It's not like there's any other orange on Mikey, so you don't have to worry about matching the orange to other areas! Also make sure to buy some poster tack; roll tiny balls and push them into the eye holes to keep yourself from painting the eyes by mistake. (You can also place strips of it above and below the mask to protect Mikey's skin.)

Good luck! :)

(Another option -- you buy another Mikey from the store with better paint, swap the figures, and then return the bad figure with your receipt. Or you can keep the bad one around for custom fodder. Up to you, dude!)

Thanks guys, tbh I may get the paint if it is not that expensive, but I may just get another mike down the line, it isnt that big a deal, it is a little paint loss between the eyes, almost like a scratch.

I just like my stuff perfect:D

Wes
04-05-2013, 05:08 AM
Yeah, paint's pretty cheap, if you're using the cheaper brands -- $1-2 per bottle, and you get a lot. (I've never run out of paint from any of the bottles I've gotten, though I have run out of a couple of the smaller Testors jars.) On the other hand, if you end up needing to get 3-4 for mixing -- and this is the only thing you're getting the paint for (ie you wouldn't use it for other customizing projects) -- then you might as well just get another figure. :)

I still recommend the paint, though! Touching up figures was sort of my gateway to customizing -- mainly because I had all that extra paint around and wanted to use it somehow. I'm glad I went that route, because (despite my really terrible customizing work ethic) I do enjoy making my own figures. I hope you go that route, because I think you will, too! :)

TheBlueTurtle1
04-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, but I sent the figure back and will be getting a new one sent, fingers crossed the paint job is alot better.

I may well get another set down the line, I want to try painting the weapons!