PDA

View Full Version : Custom Donatello

QuickSix
04-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Heres my newest custom comic inspired Donatello.

Details include:
1. stripped and sanded down finger and leg wrappings. (Not an easy task!)
2. totally re-sculpted legs and third toe removal. Carved out from the original sculpt.
3. all joints were trimmed down and sanded to finally stop paint rub.
4. Foot peg holes filled
5. professional custom realistic "red bandana" repaint using various colors and techniques.
6. Leo head swap
7. detailed weapons with actual thread wrap.

Other info can be found at:
Customs: www.creightongannfigures.blogspot.com
Art shows and fine art: www.artgrace.blogspot.com
Illustrations: www.creightongann.blogspot.com

thanks!
Creighton (Quicksix)

psychturtle
04-06-2013, 12:14 PM
One of the best customs. The skin texture, the detail, the shaving. Your customs are so life-like. Love this. I'm sure our friend (the one from ebay) will be mad and accuse you of being an imitator LOLOL

Good work!

QuickSix
04-06-2013, 12:22 PM
One of the best customs. The skin texture, the detail, the shaving. Your customs are so life-like. Love this. I'm sure our friend (the one from ebay) will be mad and accuse you of being an imitator LOLOL

Good work!

Haha. I read that in one of the threads. What was up with that?
Thanks again. Im trying to find a Splinter now... Call me crazy, I want to make a "real hair" version of him.

Discogod
04-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Not bad. A little too shiny, but otherwise I like it.

Donatello19
04-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Why does everyone use Leo's head for a custom Donnie?! It doesn't fit him at all.

psychturtle
04-06-2013, 03:50 PM
I've noticed it a lot (the leo head on Donnie). I think there's just some who prefer the facial features for each. I like the original heads on the respective figures myself but it's just my subjectivity.

Man, if you can pull off an "actual fur" splinter then I will faint. I have no clue how to manage that but I'm sure you have ways about doing just that.:tgrin: I actually like the shiny aspects of this Donnie figure.

QuickSix
04-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Not bad. A little too shiny, but otherwise I like it.

Ecto plasm:)

QuickSix
04-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I've noticed it a lot (the leo head on Donnie). I think there's just some who prefer the facial features for each. I like the original heads on the respective figures myself but it's just my subjectivity.

Man, if you can pull off an "actual fur" splinter then I will faint. I have no clue how to manage that but I'm sure you have ways about doing just that.:tgrin: I actually like the shiny aspects of this Donnie figure.

He's actually not as shiny in hand. My cheap camera bought with a teachers salary suggests otherwise. Lol

I'm very critical of my work but this is one figure that has made it to my office display. I can't wait to work on Splinter.

QuickSix
04-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Why does everyone use Leo's head for a custom Donnie?! It doesn't fit him at all.

Lol neither does the tooth gap.

psychturtle
04-06-2013, 03:55 PM
He's actually not as shiny in hand. My cheap camera bought with a teachers salary suggests otherwise. Lol

I'm very critical of my work but this is one figure that has made it to my office display. I can't wait to work on Splinter.

Man, I'm just glad you are here at the drome to share all your great work. You def need to make a set to corroborate that Don in your office.

I have a set of mine in my office as well.

QuickSix
04-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks again! The fur should be easy to attach using glue and hair gel to smooth the fur out. I'm just frustrated I can't locate a splinter at the wal mart yet.

Plasticplayhouse
04-06-2013, 04:17 PM
i dont like the glossy look, it's very distracting. i'm guessing it from whatever sealer you use. your coloring on the otherhand is awesome! his skin tones looks perfect. i also really like the feet. the skin folds in the back heal look super cool. great work overall bro!

QuickSix
04-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks. It's actually a matte sealer. Lightly dusted at that. Lol A lot of the shine could be the camera flash or in the paint brand quality. The paints I used acted different on the waxy plastic than what I'm used to. ...reminds me of the lessons I learned using cold press illustration board for rush freelance jobs. Those were the days.

It's amazing what lessons are learned with each custom. My biggest gripes are paint rub on joints. Working on the solution now. The sealer will work itself out.

Plasticplayhouse
04-06-2013, 06:06 PM
to be honest, i havent found a sealer that i truly like. i've used three that said "matte" but they still left a glossy effect. and i havent found that the sealer actually has any benefit. i hear it's suppose to help protect against skin oils when handled (which it may), but i have tested and havent noticed any added protection against scraching or paint rub, they accure just the same.

QuickSix
04-06-2013, 06:55 PM
to be honest, i havent found a sealer that i truly like. i've used three that said "matte" but they still left a glossy effect. and i havent found that the sealer actually has any benefit. i hear it's suppose to help protect against skin oils when handled (which it may), but i have tested and havent noticed any added protection against scraching or paint rub, they accure just the same.

I agree. Ive never been happy with any type of sealer as well. Im picky about my paints even more. Some sealers actually amplify your fingerprints! Don't use the Wal-Mart brand.

I snapped a quick pic with my shoddy camera and put Donny next to the shiniest thing I could find. (my Mustang) You can see that the figure really has a matte finish and not too overly shiny like the flash pics I took. I think alot of the shine may be in my paint techniques as you can see in my "unsprayed" working picture. Who knows? Im having fun!

BTW My shoes would be close second in shine. :D

Discogod
04-07-2013, 03:29 AM
I swear by Humbrol Matt Acrylic Spray - gives a fantastic flat finish, and it's super-durable.

Topsu
04-07-2013, 08:25 AM
I swear by Humbrol Matt Acrylic Spray - gives a fantastic flat finish, and it's super-durable.

Is this the one you use? (http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/humbrol-no49-varnish-matt-150ml-acrylic-spray/)

Drose18
04-07-2013, 09:59 AM
So awesome!!!!!!!!!

QuickSix
04-07-2013, 10:09 AM

Thanks bro. I look for it a Hobby Lobby.

Discogod
04-07-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't know how available it is in the USA - I think it's a British brand. Easy enough to find on ebay, and it's pretty cheap, although the cans aren't huge. I usually get about 4-6 figures sealed per can.

Slade
04-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Good stuff again.

QuickSix
04-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks. this figure is for sale if anyone is interested. I need to move on to the next custom. PM me.

TheCanadiandrome
04-08-2013, 09:56 PM
nice work compadre!

QuickSix
04-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Thanks again. This just went to eBay. I need to fund my new custom splinter and most likely storm shadow or Destro turtle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181119336442?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

slaysghosts
04-09-2013, 10:49 PM
kool donnie!

Tmnt Boss
04-11-2013, 01:13 AM
You did a great job. Do you have any plan on making the other turtles ? great job again 9/10.

QuickSix
04-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Yes and thanks! I want to tackle Splinter first though.

04-11-2013, 02:07 PM
It looks awesome! I like it better without the third toe.

donatello46
04-14-2013, 05:35 AM
This is AWESOME ! Very good job :twink:

Wes
04-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Re: matte sealers, in the US you want to use Testors Dullcote. I've used a ton of matte (spray) sealers, and nothing gives you that flat look like Dullcote. Using it on bare plastic and on paint itself can be iffy, though, so I prefer to spray figures with a different sealer first (matte/gloss; doesn't matter) and then use the Dullcote on top of that.

For a brush-on matte sealer, I've actually recently gotten some exceedingly impressive results out of Mod Podge. It's weird -- I've had the stuff around since 2008 and didn't get great results out of it back then, so it's just been kinda sitting around here... I only decided to give it a try this past week because it's cheap and I'm about to give a presentation on customizing ("for n00bs and cheapskates"). Maybe I've just gotten better with sealer applications or maybe it just gets better with age, but the matte I'm get out of Mod Podge now is pretty much on par with Dullcote.

So yeah, if you want Donnie less glossy, you could hit him up with some Dullcote or some Mod Podge (I'd be mindful of the soft plastic pieces, though, especially if you plan to pose the legs). At any rate, fantastic work! :D

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
04-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Too cool!
Love the colors and detailing.

raven6859
04-15-2013, 06:43 AM
That's great, the resculpted feet in particular look amazing

QuickSix
04-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Re: matte sealers, in the US you want to use Testors Dullcote. I've used a ton of matte (spray) sealers, and nothing gives you that flat look like Dullcote. Using it on bare plastic and on paint itself can be iffy, though, so I prefer to spray figures with a different sealer first (matte/gloss; doesn't matter) and then use the Dullcote on top of that.

For a brush-on matte sealer, I've actually recently gotten some exceedingly impressive results out of Mod Podge. It's weird -- I've had the stuff around since 2008 and didn't get great results out of it back then, so it's just been kinda sitting around here... I only decided to give it a try this past week because it's cheap and I'm about to give a presentation on customizing ("for n00bs and cheapskates"). Maybe I've just gotten better with sealer applications or maybe it just gets better with age, but the matte I'm get out of Mod Podge now is pretty much on par with Dullcote.

So yeah, if you want Donnie less glossy, you could hit him up with some Dullcote or some Mod Podge (I'd be mindful of the soft plastic pieces, though, especially if you plan to pose the legs). At any rate, fantastic work! :D

Thanks. I actually used matte Modge Podge on him. Lightly dusted. I realize now that its not the sealer that his making him look shiny its the way he's painted.

Im a professional illustrator and it seems that Ive been approaching these 3-D objects the same way I create a 2-D work. In art school, I was trained to paint using a "spectral shift" technique. (Analogous colors: Placing shades of lighter colors that gradually progress to similar darker colors to create the illusion of form. Their intensity based on how much light they absorb or reflect back.)

For example: The legs. If you look at my in progress photo you will see that the legs appear shiny even though they have no spray sealer?!

This is because they were painted with a subtle light green that gradually progresses to a dark olive. The shadows are then accentuated with umber, pumping the light areas even more. In addition, the muscle definition is defined by several shades of yellow that progress back into the green to create realistic texture of skin...

It makes sense that the light would catch certain areas even harder because of where they are on the spectrum and how much light is being reflected back!:teek: BTW. The shells of my turtles are actually painted GOLD! I am going to change my paint strategy on the next one.

Im critical of my work and I am still striving to make the best custom I can. I wont sleep until then. lol The best thing is what you learn with every one you create.

Thanks to all for the great input so far.

ObiWanFan4life
04-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Wow
Nice Work

QuickSix
04-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Ending in a few hours on eBay. Someone is going to get an awesome figure!

Btw I just found a Splinter on eBay to customize!! Wish me luck!

snake
04-16-2013, 10:54 AM
:D:D:D:D thats great! 10/10!

zak_the_neutrino
04-16-2013, 10:58 AM

Whose head would you use? I'm interested in your opinion.

zak_the_neutrino
04-16-2013, 10:58 AM

Whose head would you use? I'm interested in your opinion. Regardless I think it looks really good.

Mzx10484
04-16-2013, 11:04 AM
I like that. Would also like to see a great Shredder Custom !!

QuickSix
04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Whose head would you use? I'm interested in your opinion. Regardless I think it looks really good.

The somber head that comes with Donatello is perfect for Leonardo. That usually leaves you with the Leo head leftover for Donnie. It works just as well.

I always remember Donnie as the playful, geeky brainiac so the face works just as well. Leo was a bit serious.

QuickSix
04-16-2013, 12:07 PM
I like that. Would also like to see a great Shredder Custom !!

Yes!! I have never seen one in stores. The shelves are always empty here. Ive never seen April, Splinter, Foot soldier, and any of the new figures in stores here in Indianapolis.

Theres plenty of those Ecto goop backpack Turtle figures or what ever they are just warming the pegs.

Doomsdayninja
04-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Love this custom!!!

QuickSix
04-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Donnie has left my office shelf and found a new home with a fellow member!:)

JoshDA7X
04-17-2013, 02:29 AM
This is some awesome work! I wish I had the time to try this myself!

OrokuYoshiFilms
07-02-2013, 08:08 AM
LOVE the skin and feet. Forgot for a sec how cool the turtles were without all that bandage-y stuff...

...have to agree with Donatello19 though. I don't get it.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-12-2013, 01:13 PM
not to criticize, but since you have swapped the heads, this just looks like Leonardo now.

good job anyway!

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Lol neither does the tooth gap.

but you can't see it on the figure

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-15-2013, 03:46 PM
What tools did you use for this custom?

QuickSix
07-15-2013, 08:40 PM
What tools did you use for this custom?

Thanks. I forgot about this figure. lol I took a detour to go to work on actual paintings and some Ghostbusters customs. Glad I checked in.

I used an exact-o knife and a few No 4. or 5 paintbrushes, Wal Mart brand matte sealer with high end liquitex paints mixed with cheap paints. The liquitex paints can be watered down for airbrush illustrations. Neither are really the best for painting figures because of the amount of plasticity and shine. They are intended for illustrations. oh well.:D

QuickSix
07-15-2013, 08:41 PM
but you can't see it on the figure

Its there though!:D

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-23-2013, 09:01 AM
how did you remove the third toe?

QuickSix
07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
how did you remove the third toe?

exacto knife and sandpaper

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-27-2013, 07:37 AM
exacto knife and sandpaper

thanks, i have all the information i need now.

i will now plan to start my custom raphael figure