PDA

View Full Version : NECA-style Utrom

Discogod
04-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Hey guys, I'm easing back into the world of TMNT customs with something small. I was asked to make an Utrom in the style of the unreleased 4 Horsemen prototype - fairly easy, but tons of fun to sculpt...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/NeonDiscogod/UtromWIP1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/NeonDiscogod/UtromWIP2.jpg

He's pretty small - about 1" wide and just under an inch tall.

Just need to mould & cast him, then get him painted...

Plasticplayhouse
04-10-2013, 09:04 AM
eeeeexcellent...eeeeexcellent. i thought about doing one of these lil' guys a while back but never got around to it. i might have to buy one or two of your casts at some point :tcool:

you did a great job on the sculpt. very true to the mirage source.

Topsu
04-10-2013, 09:57 AM
That's awesome, can't wait to see it/them in colors. Things like these are something I'd like to armybuild.

Slade
04-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Hell yeah. Looks great.

gunstarheroblue
04-10-2013, 11:55 AM
killer work as usual Dude, this looks awesome!

arizvega
04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
hey guys, i'm easing back into the world of tmnt customs with something small. I was asked to make an utrom in the style of the unreleased 4 horsemen prototype - fairly easy, but tons of fun to sculpt...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/neondiscogod/utromwip1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/neondiscogod/utromwip2.jpg

he's pretty small - about 1" wide and just under an inch tall.

Just need to mould & cast him, then get him painted...

i love it!!!

Candy Kappa
04-10-2013, 12:39 PM
DUDE!

That looks so spot on it is eerie, I love that little oot bugger.

Jay $tarkiller
04-10-2013, 12:52 PM
that's awesome, dude! if you're returning to TMNT stuff, would it be possible that you make a new Casey Jones custom?! Always loved those, and would love to snatch one this time:tgrin:

arizvega
04-10-2013, 12:57 PM
that's awesome, dude! if you're returning to TMNT stuff, would it be possible that you make a new Casey Jones custom?! Always loved those, and would love to snatch one this time:tgrin:

YeaH! That would be Awesome:tgrin::tgrin::tgrin::tgrin:

drewizzle88
04-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Id buy a couple utroms from you, those are sweet!

Discogod
04-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys! I had to simplify the sculpt a little for the sake of easier casting, but I still like the little bugger.

I'm going to be selling a small number of casts, either painted or unpainted (no idea on prices yet, depends on how much I have to spend on supplies). I'll let you all know when I start casting...

Lampy
04-10-2013, 09:40 PM
I LOVE IT! so accurate. leaves me wanting to see a dozen of those in a picture. will you be making them in different expressions/postures? or just this same pose. either way... i like it too.

reminds me of those little figures i'd put on my pencil eraser when i was a kid.

TheCanadiandrome
04-11-2013, 01:23 AM
Looking good! Cant wait to see it done, are u making an endo suit for it?

Discogod
04-11-2013, 03:42 AM
Lampy - No, just this one, although I may paint a few up in different colours, and one may end up getting reworked into a Ch'rell Utrom...

TheCanadiandrome - hadn't thought about that! I might have to do one of those at some point.

The Purple Dragon
04-11-2013, 05:37 AM
that is good work and pretty close to the 4 horesemenn prototype great work:) please tell whene you start casting i want to buy one or two of you,hopefully unpainted so i can have some fun with it

TurtleManiac
04-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Wow great sculpt! Looks just like in the comics.

TVsRobLowe
04-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Me wanty. :D

raven6859
04-15-2013, 07:48 AM
That looks fantastic

Derrico13
04-20-2013, 08:14 AM
That little guy looks great!

snake
04-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Nice! Love it!

koenne
04-20-2013, 11:00 AM
That looks really great !

Discogod
04-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys! I've got a painted version I'll get up tomorrow!

Discogod
04-21-2013, 07:23 AM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/NeonDiscogod/Utrom1.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/NeonDiscogod/Utrom2.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/NeonDiscogod/Utrom3.jpg

Fully painted, and ready to cast!

I'm only going to be selling a small number of these, so if you're interested please PM me.

Prices are going to be $25 for a painted Utrom and $16 for an unpainted - this includes postage, and obviously if you're after more than one then each additional Utrom will be slightly cheaper...

drewizzle88
04-21-2013, 05:02 PM
These are freaking sweet, love them painted, you nailed it...PM sent.

Discogod
03-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Bringing this back from the dead...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/NeonDiscogod/Utroms.jpg

Still needs some fine-tuning. I'm not happy with the mould, as there's a lot of flaws. Now I've had some practice, the next one should be better. The plain white cast is the only one that came out well, and there's still a lot of issues with it.

Also been experimenting with colours - the Utrom second from right is about the colour I'm aiming for. I also made a bubblegum pink Utrom, which isn't shown (as I painted him up and he's sat on my desk at work). I might also experiment with some light blue & purple Utroms.

Anywhoo, just thought you guys might like to see...

The Fifth Turtle
03-14-2014, 06:00 AM
Very sweet. One you get them perfect will you be selling them?

Discogod
03-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Very sweet. One you get them perfect will you be selling them?

I don't know yet, I may have a few spares - I'll let you know if I do!

arkangel
03-17-2014, 01:21 PM
He looks like he jumped right off of Eastman's sketchpad and the paint job is fantastic ! :)

Cowabunga Carl
03-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Dude these look amazing.

MisfitKraang
03-26-2014, 09:03 PM
I love utroms and those are so cool:D

TMNachoT
04-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Cool job!!!

rickwj324
04-14-2014, 03:39 PM
I don't know yet, I may have a few spares - I'll let you know if I do!

Disco... I'd really like one as well!! Please let me know if you end up having a few for sale. --Rick

zaktheneutrino
04-17-2014, 09:52 AM
That is so awesome!! Love it and it is dead on. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to mold them?

The Fifth Turtle
04-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Since this is already bumped.....are you still trying to get these mass produced to sell them?

Discogod
04-17-2014, 11:07 AM
That is so awesome!! Love it and it is dead on. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to mold them?

I used Gedeo Siligum to make the first mould - it's a 2-part silicon putty that's pretty cheap & easy to use, but for anything with fine detail it's too imprecise, and tends to be prone to air bubbles. For the next moulds, I'll be using Smooth-On's Dragon Skin 10 liquid silicon - hopefully I can eliminate the air bubbles & mould lines.

I use Smooth-On Smooth Cast 300 to make the casts - it's a liquid urethane that's quite light, but tough, and takes paints & dyes really well.

Sofistocat
04-17-2014, 12:33 PM
not to want to tamper with it, but I want to drill a hole in it so I can stick it on the pencil/s I use at work... would look like a pink eraser from afar

Discogod
04-17-2014, 12:39 PM
not to want to tamper with it, but I want to drill a hole in it so I can stick it on the pencil/s I use at work... would look like a pink eraser from afar

S'what I did with the one I took to work! He ends up in all sorts of places...:lol:

Sofistocat
04-17-2014, 12:42 PM
S'what I did with the one I took to work! He ends up in all sorts of places...:lol:

nice. I wants...

The Boston Ninja Turtle
04-17-2014, 12:42 PM
hmm kinda want one

ps Leo looks "so" happy to be holding him haha

Whatswiththeheadbands?
04-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Very good.:)

The Fifth Turtle
04-17-2014, 01:00 PM

Coolest pencil topper EVER.

zaktheneutrino
04-17-2014, 02:34 PM
I used Gedeo Siligum to make the first mould - it's a 2-part silicon putty that's pretty cheap & easy to use, but for anything with fine detail it's too imprecise, and tends to be prone to air bubbles. For the next moulds, I'll be using Smooth-On's Dragon Skin 10 liquid silicon - hopefully I can eliminate the air bubbles & mould lines.

I use Smooth-On Smooth Cast 300 to make the casts - it's a liquid urethane that's quite light, but tough, and takes paints & dyes really well.

Awesome!! Thank you for the info and keep up the great work! :tgrin: I hope the casts work out for you and you can get these out to people, very impressive.

mikeyatemypizza
04-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Hey Discogod you need to provide air release vents or gates. So that when you pour in your resin the air doesn't get trapped behind your pour. The vents allow the air to release allowing the resin to fill voids. Air likes to get trapped in small cavities like the arms. Example: http://warfrog.blogspot.ca/2011/11/resin-casting-tutorial.html

Discogod
04-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Hey Discogod you need to provide air release vents or gates. So that when you pour in your resin the air doesn't get trapped behind your pour. The vents allow the air to release allowing the resin to fill voids. Air likes to get trapped in small cavities like the arms. Example: http://warfrog.blogspot.ca/2011/11/resin-casting-tutorial.html

Yeah, but using the Siligum putty doesn't really allow for that, or for making 2-part moulds. When I use decent moulding compounds I usually put 3-4 vents in, as I inject the resin in with a syringe and it tends to displace a lot of air very quickly. Part of the problem is the urethane I'm currently using has a very low pot life compared to what I usually use (3-4 minutes vs. 15 minutes) and unless I pour straightaway the resin can get too viscous to flow into all the tiny cavities.

Of course, that's something that's easily rectified, once I've restocked with the correct materials.

mikeyatemypizza
04-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Pretty much what I faced when I tried the poyo putty. The results were indeed miles from platinum cure silicone. Never tried the syringe injection but I do use a pressure vessel. By the way that Utrom is awesome.

Discogod
04-20-2014, 12:25 PM
You don't really need to injection mould if you use a pressure pot - because using a syringe displaces so much air so much quicker than just pouring the resin, it cuts down on a lot of the flaws & bubbles, much like the pressure pot. Of course, you can use both...

I'm going to be picking up some more moulding silicon this week (luckily the sole UK supplier of Smooth-On products is across the road from my workplace!), so I'll get some updated pics up ASAP.

mikeyatemypizza
04-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Wow that is lucky. I have to order supplies in batches to save on shipping costs and most of those orders are in a six month window. A lot of the material hates freezing weather. Thanks for the tips Discogod. I have a few small projects that I would like to try the syringe on. Since my pressure casting is done in the basement shop it would save running down there from the studio (kids ol bedroom).