PDA

View Full Version : The designs on the first season

JakeSully
04-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Did anyone noticed Peter Chung's unique character designs on the characters even Oroko Sakai and the masters? you can tell it's his designs and drawings.

He's the guy who did COPS (the 80s toon), MTV's Aeon Flux shorts/show, that Animatrix segment and the Riddick animated short.

oldmanwinters
04-13-2013, 08:33 AM
To quote DrSpengler's recent review of the first season:

One last thing I want to comment on, which is an overall criticism of the series, is the bizarrely ugly character designs just about all the human characters (that aren’t in the main cast) have.
They look like caricature art; with weirdly proportioned features and oddly shaped craniums. I think art director Peter Chung (of Aeon Flux fame) is to blame for that one. That dude likes drawin’ em ugly (no wonder he used to work for Klasky Csupo).
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2012/08/28/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1987-season-1-review/

pannoni1
04-13-2013, 01:16 PM
You got to give props to the animation and art departments for providing the great development of the characters expressions during that season; it really feels more organic having the Turtles look a little different each day. The beaks, improved shading, and rich Krang detail really had great minds presented. As with the humans, this isn't the first time this has happened (see the Nick show). But I actually thought that the humans were designed/animated well in the first season. Just look at April in "Hot Rodding Teenagers", along with better eye shading. Rocksteady/Bebop really looking like competent goons where the missles on Rocksteady's belt show that he's stronger. The Foot Soldiers also had the proper red foot symbol on their heads only in this season before A-1 ruined it by changing it to yellow.

zak_the_neutrino
04-13-2013, 01:55 PM
I was just talking about this the other day. The art style is unique in the first season where as in season 2 and on it kinda looks like the art was a little more simplified? If im using the right word. Especially with Krang you can really notice. I definetly see what u mean.

JakeSully
04-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Who thinks Oroko Saki looks like a Japanese Trevor Goodchild?