PDA

View Full Version : Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

ZariusTwo
04-17-2013, 12:12 PM
The event that kickstarted the New 52 is DC's next animated movie

The world is turned upside down as one of earth’s greatest super heroes – Flash – wakes up devoid of his super powers in the all-new Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox – the next entry in the popular, ongoing series of DC Universe Original Animated Movies. Produced by DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation, this all-new, PG-13 rated film arrives July 30, 2013 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on Blu-Ray™ Combo Pack ($24.98 SRP), DVD ($19.98 SRP) and Digital Download. The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack will include UltraViolet™*.

When time travel allows a past wrong to be righted for Flash and his family, the event’s temporal ripples prove disastrous, creating a fractured, alternate reality where the Justice League never formed, and even Superman is nowhere to be found. Amidst a new world being ravaged by a fierce war between Wonder Woman’s Amazons and Aquaman’s Atlanteans, Flash must team with a grittier, more violent Batman and government agent Cyborg to restore the continuity of Flash’s original timeline.

“Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox has all the elements of another great film – dynamic forceful villains, treacherous twists and turns and internal tensions amongst heroes,” said Mary Ellen Thomas, Warner Home Video Vice President, Family, Animation and Partner Brands Marketing. “Showcasing a cast that brings together some of today’s popular primetime television actors with many fans’ favorite voices from the original series, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is proud to release this title as the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie.”

Primetime television stars Justin Chambers (Grey’s Anatomy) and Kevin McKidd (Grey’s Anatomy), the voices of Barry Allen/Flash and Thomas Wayne/Batman, respectively, unite with numerous greats of television and film to fashion the famed animated roles. Adding to the celebrity-laden voice cast and providing thrilling additions to the Justice League series are Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale, Friday Night Lights, Chronicle) as Cyborg, C. Thomas Howell (Southland, The Outsiders) as Thawne/Professor Zoom, Nathan Fillion (Castle) as Hal Jordan/Green Lantern, Ron Perlman (Hellboy) as Slade and Deathstroke, Dana Delany (Body of Proof) as Lois Lane, Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride) as Aquaman, Danny Huston (Magic City) as General Lane, Sam Daly (The Office, The Daly Show) as Superman, and Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series) as Batman.

Screenwriter Jim Krieg delivers an action-packed vision of the legendary comic book miniseries FLASHPOINT, by Geoff Johns & Andy Kubert, adding to the over 13 million DC Universe video units produced to date. Jay Oliva (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns) is director and James Tucker (Superman: Unbound) is producer.

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox Blu-ray™ has over three hours of exciting extra content, including:
• A Flash in Time: Are there other dimensions? Can time travel get us there? And if The Flash existed, could he really travel through time? Interviews with experts in mythology, theoretical physics and top DC writers will examine the science and legacy of the storytelling behind the fiction.
• My Favorite Villians! The Flash Bad Guys: Acclaimed DC Comics writer Geoff Johns and others share their favorite Flash villains in this short film that gives viewers a glimpse into the Flash’s world through the eyes of some of the nefarious characters he has encountered over the past 70 years!
• A Sneak Peek at the next DC Universe animated movie:. An in-depth look into the next DC Animated feature film, spotlighting the cast and crew.
• From the DC Comics Vault: Bonus cartoon episodes
• The Flashpoint Paradox Audio Commentary

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/2013/04/blu-ray-and-dvd-cover-art-press-details-for-justice-league-the-flashpoint-paradox-animated-feature/

CyberCubed
04-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Never read the comic series so I don't know what to expect outside of the summary. Nice to see Kevin Conroy return.

Raven
04-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Cool, the event was alright aside from Batman and Flashes main story the other stuff such as Aquaman and Wonder Womans war was kind of boring. The idea that Shazam (Captain Marvel) was several orphaned kids instead of one was pretty interesting. Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Slade
04-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Didn't read Flashpoint, but the synopsis sounds good. Ill pick this one up.

oldmanwinters
04-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Wow, it's gonna be sad to see an animated DC universe with which I am totally unfamiliar be churned through the ringer of space & time in the Flashpoint!

I kid, I kid...:lol:

dudeabides
04-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Flash is my favorite DC character so of course I read about his nemesis the Reverse Flash himself rewriting history. I hope can rent it or something since I already have the story in book form and I'm no Tony Stark.

TheCanadiandrome
04-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Cool, a buy for me

Leo656
04-24-2013, 10:24 PM
It oughta' play well as a film, but I'm annoyed by it. The series itself was ok but not that great, and I'm convinced they're only pushing this one out since the New 52 has been out for like 2 years and they want the animated films to look like the contemporary comic books from now on.

In other words, they don't want animated Superman to wear red trunks anymore, since he doesn't in the comics, "becuz it'll confooze da kids". Kind of annoying, actually, since there were tons of classic DC stories they could've given the animated film treatment before this one. They still might, but probably won't, at least for a while.

Y'know what'd be an AWESOME DC animated film? "Teen Titans: The Judas Contract". I know they're convinced anything without Superman and Batman won't sell, but the story would be amazing to see animated. Minus Slade banging Terra, I don't think that subplot needs to be revisited... I mean we already knew Deathstroke was Evil, he's a cold-blooded killer! Did we need to imply he was a pederast just to *really* make sure we knew who the bad guy was? :lol:

Back on topic, I'll get Flashpoint but I'm kinda "Eh" about it.

CyberCubed
04-24-2013, 10:27 PM
I don't see what gives you that impression when future DC projects are not all going the New 52 route.

Just look at Beware the Batman and Titans Go for example, nothing to do with the current trend of comics.

Leo656
04-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Batman's not a great example in this case because Flashpoint really didn't change him or his universe at all, except implying that he goes through Robins at the rate of about 2 per week. Which makes Batman seem totally responsible and not at all crazy or anything.

Green Lantern barely got any changes either, really. Flashpoint was actually far from being as big a deal as they make it out to be. Flashpoint only really changed Superman a ton, and that was just to hedge their bets in case the Siegels won the lawsuit and DC ended up having to pretend "their" Superman was "different". That was the main reason for the (non) event, and that's why I've never thought it was all that great, in either concept or execution. At the end of the day, for all the hype about it, only three things really changed in the DCU thanks to Flashpoint:

1. Superman's costume changed. Because guys who are bulletproof need to wear armor at all times.

2. Alan Scott/Green Lantern never had any kids, because he was too busy being gay. For no real reason other than the little-known law which states "All comic companies need to have one formerly-hetero super-hero come out, and we need to make a huge deal about it, so everyone knows we're "progressive". I'm not against the idea per se, but I'd prefer they used the trick on a character with a little less baggage than Alan Scott, since his family were a huge part of stories for decades before suddenly not existing. I mean, why go there when Billy Batson/Shazam is like ***rightthere***? Too obvious?

3. Starfire's a huge slut. Just because every super-team needs a blatant slut. Because it's 1993, and that stuff still sells comic books.

Actually, DCU post-Flashpoint as a whole kind of reads like Dan Didio just found a stash of old Image books for the very first time in his life and said "This stuff is hip and fresh! WE NEED TO MAKE OUR BOOKS LIKE THIS!" The dude's so out of touch, it honestly wouldn't shock me if that's exactly how it went down. :lol:

A lot of people hated Final Crisis but that'd actually be a much better basis for a film. I'm sure they'll return to some of the classic DC stuff before long, but since Flashpoint was sort of pointless and there are better ElseWorlds they could have done ("Superman: Speeding Bullets", "Red Son", "JLA: The Nail", just to name a few), I'm still seeing this new one as more marketing gimmick than anything.

Brodie
04-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Maybe because Billy Batson is a 10 year old boy?

Leo656
04-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Granted, but I was just making a broad point. If you're going to make arbitrary changes for no valid reason other than "We're changing things", you could find less-complicated ways to do it than wipe out a character's well-established background and family life. I picked Shazam as an example since that was one of the rumors before it was confirmed to be Alan Scott. I never bought the rumor, mostly for the reason you cited, but some people did.

Now that I really think of it, It actually would be less complicated by comparison (and possibly more believable) if they had used Batson for that particular publicity stunt and aged him up a bit to make him a teen or something. For one, I'm betting "conflicted teen with TWO 'secret identities'" would seem more "hip" and "contemporary" to DC's braintrust than "magical 5th grader who's also a super-hero", and secondly, the entire "Let's out a random character' was 100% a publicity stunt anyway. I can almost hear the conversation... "Y'know guys, we have a lot of Green Lanterns, let's just make one gay, who's gonna care?" "Ummmm... people who really liked Infinity, Inc.? Or JSA?" "Silly boy, we're not marketing to people who read comics, we're marketing to people who NEVER read comics! Besides, Alan Scott's been around since like The Bible, nobody cares about him! But NOW they will! PRINT IT! WE'RE HIP, DAMMIT!"

I'm totally not trying to give them any ideas, heaven knows, just illustrating that there were dozens of other ways they could have told that story, if they really insisted on telling it, rather than take a character who was established for several decades having not only a family, but children. There are thousands of characters in the DCU, they could literally have opened the DC Encyclopedia to a random page and picked someone less-established to be "That Guy", and it would have been less likely to ruffle anyone's feathers. That's all I was trying to say, not saying it *should* have been This Guy or That guy specifically.

ObiWanFan4life
04-25-2013, 03:08 AM
Awesome. I've bought and watched every other DC
Animated movie(with Under the Red Hood being my favorite) and this looks like a definite buy as well.

NameGoesHere1066
04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Never read the comic series so I don't know what to expect outside of the summary. Nice to see Kevin Conroy return.

hm, I thought he was retiring from batman. Or am I thinking of Marc Hammil?

Either way I am glad he is going to be on board voicing batman like no other actor can!

Leo656
04-29-2013, 08:25 PM
He does do a great Batman.