PDA

View Full Version : Custom screen-accurate Leatherhead!

LH
04-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Hey guys! I thought I would share with you all my customized screen-accurate Leatherhead figure!

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag109/NostalgiaGeek/IMG_3807_zpsdacd26cb.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/NostalgiaGeek/media/IMG_3807_zpsdacd26cb.jpg.html)

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag109/NostalgiaGeek/IMG_3801_zps7400123c.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/NostalgiaGeek/media/IMG_3801_zps7400123c.jpg.html)

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag109/NostalgiaGeek/IMG_3798_zps21780b1e.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/NostalgiaGeek/media/IMG_3798_zps21780b1e.jpg.html)

After these were taken, I painted his claws and corrected his side spines, as I realized they are suppossed to blend into his skin...

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag109/NostalgiaGeek/IMG_3808_zpse7c89081.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/NostalgiaGeek/media/IMG_3808_zpse7c89081.jpg.html)

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag109/NostalgiaGeek/IMG_3809_zpsd5266746.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/NostalgiaGeek/media/IMG_3809_zpsd5266746.jpg.html)

D-Nizzy
04-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Nice work! I'm planning on doing something similar once I get a minute or two to fling paint. You brought out a lot of the details on this figure!

LH
04-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Nice work! I'm planning on doing something similar once I get a minute or two to fling paint. You brought out a lot of the details on this figure!

I can't wait to see it! Thank you very much! :tgrin:

TonySiegel
04-20-2013, 10:20 PM
nice work man might want to grunge up a lil though give him that "sewery" look...

don't overdo the grunge though!

dope dope!

Zulithe
04-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Colors are definitely more accurate.

If I could make one suggestion it would be to add some kind of detailing around the mouth if you can think of a way. so the teeth will stand out some. I'm not a customizer though so I have no tips on how you'd accomplish that.

And wow you have two leatherheads i didn't know that :P

Keep up the great work

LH
04-20-2013, 10:46 PM
nice work man might want to grunge up a lil though give him that "sewery" look...

don't overdo the grunge though!

dope dope!

Colors are definitely more accurate.

If I could make one suggestion it would be to add some kind of detailing around the mouth if you can think of a way. so the teeth will stand out some. I'm not a customizer though so I have no tips on how you'd accomplish that.

Thank you so much for the input guys! :tgrin:

I would like to grunge him up a little more, particularly on the arms and legs. There is a technique I have seen people use before where they add something called a "wash" that darkens lines and adds a nice shade. If I can figure out how to do that, I will. As for the mouth... yeah, I need something to add a line that is dark, but not too noticable. His teeth aren't very dirty on the show, so I didn't want to really darken them much. (Man did that scar take a while to figure out...:tlol:)

And wow you have two leatherheads i didn't know that :P

Hehe.. Three if you count the one on my wall! :tlol:

OrokuYoshiFilms
04-24-2013, 12:10 PM
I wish I had enough courage to do that. The only gripe I had with the figure (besides the size...blah, blah, blah) was that he didn't have the white paint app on his lower jaw, neck, palms, inner arms.....etc. I'm too scared to try that for fear of messing it all the way up. ....but I like yours though!

LH
04-24-2013, 12:14 PM
I wish I had enough courage to do that. The only gripe I had with the figure (besides the size...blah, blah, blah) was that he didn't have the white paint app on his lower jaw, neck, palms, inner arms.....etc. I'm too scared to try that for fear of messing it all the way up. ....but I like yours though!

Thank you! :tgrin: I was kinda nervous about messing up because the paint I use (Tamiya model paint) is really strong and will not come off with water. Luckily, the Tamiya green paint I used matches the plastic perfectly, and so I was able to correct where I missed a few spots.

I am afraid of messing my custom up, so I have a second figure I leave unpainted for traveling photos and stuff.

NinjaMan
04-24-2013, 08:41 PM
This is beautiful.

oldmanwinters
04-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Nice job.

I've been disappointed that Playmates last two attempts at a Leatherhead figure both have his mouth closed. The original 1988 Leatherhead toy wasn't accurate to the show, but his mouth action was pretty awesome. I would have especially loved to see the Nick LH feature something similar so that we could stick poor Donatello into his mouth. :tlol:

LH
04-24-2013, 09:53 PM
This is beautiful.

Nice job.

I've been disappointed that Playmates last two attempts at a Leatherhead figure both have his mouth closed. The original 1988 Leatherhead toy wasn't accurate to the show, but his mouth action was pretty awesome. I would have especially loved to see the Nick LH feature something similar so that we could stick poor Donatello into his mouth. :tlol:

Thanks a lot guys! :tgrin:

Yeah, While a moving mouth would have been awesome, it probably would have affected the head sculpt a great deal. So i'm fine with this figure not having it.

However, it does give Playmates an excuse to make a larger "deluxe" LH with moving mouth...:twink:

Davin
04-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Definite improvement on a lame release (figure not character:tgrin:). I agree with Zulithe that more detail is needed on the mouth for the teeth to stand out. Maybe a black line/shadow on one side of each tooth? Or slightly yellow them?

LH
04-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Definite improvement on a lame release (figure not character:tgrin:). I agree with Zulithe that more detail is needed on the mouth for the teeth to stand out. Maybe a black line/shadow on one side of each tooth? Or slightly yellow them?

Thanks! :tgrin:

After looking at screenshots of his mouth, I can see that his teeth are extremely similar in shade to his skin... So what i'm thinking I will do, is add a faint pink line on his mouth to show seperation.

TheCanadiandrome
04-29-2013, 04:52 PM
nice work dude, looks way awesome

LH
04-29-2013, 06:50 PM
nice work dude, looks way awesome

Thank you! :tgrin:

Luigiperps
05-07-2013, 08:05 PM
The eyes are sensational!!! One thing that would be really awesome ( but you couldn't customize in, but it'd be cool for an official figure) is ball jointed eyes that are double sides, one controlled and one rage.:D

LH
05-07-2013, 08:50 PM
The eyes are sensational!!! One thing that would be really awesome ( but you couldn't customize in, but it'd be cool for an official figure) is ball jointed eyes that are double sides, one controlled and one rage.:D

Thanks! :tgrin:

Yeah! Shifting eyes in a future figure would be wicked sweet! :tgrin:

tone-master21
05-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Looks good, great job!

LH
05-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Looks good, great job!

Thank you! :tgrin:

Klap Klap
06-24-2013, 07:23 PM
This is amazing work! I'd love to see more. This should be the Leatherhead in stores.:khappy:

LH
06-25-2013, 11:56 AM
This is amazing work! I'd love to see more. This should be the Leatherhead in stores.:khappy:

Thank you so much! It means a lot! :tgrin:

Donatello19
06-25-2013, 12:36 PM
He looks really great, MUCH better than the one that's actually being sold :lol: The only thing I don't like is how bright the white paint is, Leatherhead looks like he just took a shower :D He should be a little dirtier, I mean, he lives in the sewers after all. Sorry for the nit pick..but other than that he really does look fantastic.

LH
06-25-2013, 12:52 PM
He looks really great, MUCH better than the one that's actually being sold :lol: The only thing I don't like is how bright the white paint is, Leatherhead looks like he just took a shower :D He should be a little dirtier, I mean, he lives in the sewers after all. Sorry for the nit pick..but other than that he really does look fantastic.

Thanks! :tgrin: The shade of white on Leatherhead is very difficult to recreate in paint... it's like a white with a slight green undertone.

Donatello19
06-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks! :tgrin: The shade of white on Leatherhead is very difficult to recreate in paint... it's like a white with a slight green undertone.

No no, I understand. I hope I didn't sound like I was criticizing you, because that was not my intention. You really did a fantastic job, my favorite is the painted....things....on Leatherhead's wrists.

LH
06-25-2013, 12:58 PM
No no, I understand. I hope I didn't sound like I was criticizing you, because that was not my intention. You really did a fantastic job, my favorite is the painted....things....on Leatherhead's wrists.

It's cool! Thanks again. :tsmile:

Haha, yeah.. The grommets were actually pretty easy, just a silver sharpie paint pen. :twink:

Jon_Talbain
01-28-2014, 01:15 PM
This is really well done, your version looks much better. Your version really should be the one sold in stores.

LH
01-28-2014, 01:17 PM
This is really well done, your version looks much better. Your version really should be the one sold in stores.

Thank You! That statement means a lot! :tgrin:

psychoandy
01-28-2014, 05:41 PM
So even though this thing is over six months old, I'm just seeing it now.

Your version looks great, LH. I definitely appreciate it when customizers do show-accurate representations of the toys that are pretty much spot-on in sculpt, but not in paint application. Good work!

GrapeSoda
01-29-2014, 12:19 AM
holy smokes!! blast from the past!!

LH, i didn't realize this was yours!! i had seen pics of this on google online last year and saved them on my computer as visual references to go along with my own show-accurate version of Nick Leatherhead!

great work!

LH
01-29-2014, 01:17 PM
So even though this thing is over six months old, I'm just seeing it now.

Your version looks great, LH. I definitely appreciate it when customizers do show-accurate representations of the toys that are pretty much spot-on in sculpt, but not in paint application. Good work!

holy smokes!! blast from the past!!

LH, i didn't realize this was yours!! i had seen pics of this on google online last year and saved them on my computer as visual references to go along with my own show-accurate version of Nick Leatherhead!

great work!

Thanks a ton guys! :tgrin:

Wow GrapeSoda, that's awesome! I'm honored that you used mine as a reference! :tgrin: