PDA

View Full Version : Fanfic: To write or not to write?

enigma-1
05-24-2002, 06:28 PM
I'm trying to start a new fic but I'm not sure if the idea will work. I thought I'd run it by some of you guys first to see what kind of feedback I would get.

See, Mikey rescues a girl named Elisa and the two sort of have a fling together, even though everyone says that they shouldn't. Well one day, Elisa just up and disappears. Mikey looks for her, but all he ever finds is a note. Years later, a girl named Kylie appears and it might be possible that Mike could be her father. And that's all I've got for now. What do you think?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: enigma-1 on 2002-05-24 21:29 ]</font>

HorseTechie
05-24-2002, 06:36 PM
Ah... the classic "love lost and returns as a only begotten child" tale. Sounds good, but of course, it's how you write it that makes it stand out from the rest.

What's the reason that Elisa would leave on Mike...? Or what evnets led up to the close relationship with Mike and Elisa. (Or, you could have Mike just randomly met Elisa. Only 'cause it seems there is one too many "TMNT save damsel in distress" fics floating around)

enigma-1
05-24-2002, 06:39 PM
For the moment, I have it that Elisa left Mike because she was scared. The reason for which, I'm not gonna reveal yet. It would spoil the fic. As for how they met, that's still in the works.

HorseTechie
05-24-2002, 06:48 PM
Aww... *tsk*

enigma-1
05-24-2002, 06:51 PM
I just came up with this yesterday. I've still got a lot of kinks to work out before it takes shape.

HorseTechie
05-24-2002, 06:52 PM
True... any other queries? :smile:

enigma-1
05-24-2002, 06:54 PM
Yeah. I'm working out how Kylie looks and personality. She looks human, just with a light tan/green skin and a plastron. Think I should add a shell or leave it at that?

HorseTechie
05-24-2002, 07:07 PM
*heheh* that one always gets me when I think fo the possibilities.

I think if they had a shell, it be a soft shell type, with ridges down the back spine. The skin on the chest and back could be more hard and scaly to the touch than the skin on the arms an legs.

The part that gets me is how the face looks. How do you picture that, I wonder?

enigma-1
05-24-2002, 07:11 PM
Except for her eyes, which are larger than a normal person's, Kylie's face is fully human. Her mother's traits were dominant in that.

azure turtle
05-24-2002, 07:23 PM
Hmm...that kinda reminds me of Ren from Splinter/Terran's fic, Culture Shock. :smile: You might wanna look at that fic for some ideas on how a human/turtle hybrid would look.

enigma-1
05-24-2002, 07:24 PM
*nods* I've read that, but I want to keep the appearance of Kylie original. I don't want to even come close to copying someone else's work. Just feels wrong to me.

azure turtle
05-24-2002, 07:28 PM
I wasn't suggesting that you copy her work. I was just pointing you in that direction so you could get ideas for your own character :smile:

enigma-1
05-24-2002, 07:30 PM
I know, but I've read a few other fics where the turtle side were more obvious. Shells and skin tone. With Kylie, I don't think she'll have a shell. But there are other subtle things that will give her way, though most won't notice.

Terran
05-24-2002, 07:54 PM
*jumps up and down excitedly*

I love new fics!!

Ahem, this sounds really interesting, Enigma.
But is the main story going to be around Mike and Elisa or more Mike and Kylie or a combination? Either way, I agree with HT that it's how you'll write it that makes it stand out.
Be prepared for people to question whether a human/turtle hybrid is possible though. It's one of those ongoing debates that will probably never get solved. And some get kind of uptight about it. I just ignore it.
Also, Kylie's appearence will depend a lot on what you have planned for her. Whether she'll be able to go out in the daytime without disguises and such like. Anyway, that's my two cents. I can't wait to read it!!
BTW--thanks for the plug on Culture Shock Azure!!

enigma-1
05-24-2002, 08:00 PM
Mike and Elisa as a couple does play a major part in setting the story, but it's really about Kylie. She's trying to find out who she is and why she was never told about her birth father.

And as for her appearance, I made her mostly human because of how genetics work. Sometimes, regardless of species, some genes are just stronger than others. In this case, human wins.

Kali
05-24-2002, 08:50 PM
Gah, I'm a little late. *kicks her stupid EverQuest addicted brother* But I wanna add in my two cents on hybrid theories.

I have exactly one human/Turtle hybrid in my collection of characters (I think). What I figure is that the mother's DNA will be dominant. Why? Because she has to carry the child, and if the DNA is not compatible with her systems, the child will not survive. However, some Turtle features will show up, but which ones, and how noticeable they are is up to an author.

azure turtle
05-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Heh heh heh...no prob, Terran. Your story fits wonderfully with this little discussion :wink:

Ooh, and I got to do some fanfic catching up today...I read your newest chapter, and I'm so intrigued with the plot. I can't wait to see what happens next to poor little Ren. :smile:

HorseTechie
05-25-2002, 09:17 AM
*modest grin* gosh... another SPlinter fic I must read. I was thinking of Phishtar's fic's when I was considering the human/hybrid look. Her char had a big beak like nose and light green skin. I beleive the shell wasnt very obvious too.

Then there are a series of fics by Aignatius (aka Wendolina), but she's not in FF.net. She had lizard/Turtle offspring in her fics.

Heh... I'm usually too logical in my thinking to write on such possiblities. That I or lack the imagination! But it's fun reading what other people write. :smile:

Kali
05-25-2002, 11:41 AM
Just thinking about the appearance of Kylie. Well, you say "it might be possible that Mike could be her father." To me, that says neither Kylie, nor Elisa, are quite sure. Any obvious turtle features that couldn't be mistaken for something else would be a big tip off. If you say she has a plastron, or scaly skin, or such, they would know for sure who the father is.

It depends on what you want to do in the story with Mike/Kylie. Do you want them to find out that Mike's her father immediately, then they can bond. Or bond while trying to discover the truth (leaving the chance that Mike isn't the father.)

Just some thoughts.

enigma-1
05-25-2002, 12:19 PM
I finally worked out how's she'll look, and yeah, Mike is her Dad. Only, he doesn't know himself till about halfway thru the fic. I just said that he might cause I was brainstorming on this.

But Kylie's mostly human, except for the partial plastron and the skin tone. The real differences are on the inside, not the outside. When I get more of the fic down, you'll see what I mean.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: enigma-1 on 2002-05-25 15:35 ]</font>