PDA

View Full Version : Display cabinet. what to buy?

Redemption
05-05-2013, 01:12 AM
Does anyone have some ideas on some good display cabinets for tmnt figures and misb vehicles. I was wanting something with glass shelves. Thanks for any input!

Shogun26
05-05-2013, 09:55 AM
First place I'd try is Ikea online.

KingGrimlock
05-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Have to agree, Ikea is best. Easy to customise and reasonably priced. The Billy bookcase system works very well as you can buy glass shelves and doors for them. Not cheap over all, a standard width cabinet with all glass shelves and doors costs around 200 but they are solid and look good and you can do them in stages if money is a bit tighter, get the bookcase one time, the doors another etc.

SquareShield
05-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Detolf cases from Ikea

madyankees
11-17-2013, 08:16 AM
I know this is a relatively speaking "old and inactive" thread but has anyone tried the Besta shelves from IKEA? I'm kinda stuck between Billy or Besta right now.

I intend to use the shelves to display my TMNT action figure collection. Any advice will be much appreciated

Davin
11-17-2013, 09:10 AM
I know this is a relatively speaking "old and inactive" thread but has anyone tried the Besta shelves from IKEA? I'm kinda stuck between Billy or Besta right now.

I intend to use the shelves to display my TMNT action figure collection. Any advice will be much appreciated

I'm looking at those two systems as well. I'll probably go with some of both. The Besta's dimensions suit the diorama setups I have planned for my neca, classics and nick figures. The Billy with some acrylic step risers will work for my vintage figures, they aren't really that poseable anyway.

Both look really good, just think about if you really need the depth of the Besta.

Also, if you are going with glass doors on a double width Billy, consider that there will be a visual line down the middle where the doors meet. That may or may not matter to you.

mousesi2k
11-17-2013, 08:42 PM
I use the Ikea Detolf cabinets like everyone else has said. They are very popular in the collecting world no matter why you collect. Also, I use ikea deoder led lights to light them. Here's and older photo of my cabinets:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/MouseSi/image_zps25344ad9.jpg

Eventually, I plan to redo the lighting with led rope / light bars, add some locks to the doors to keep the little one out, and redo the displays so they aren't so cluttered. Also looking to remove / replace some items in the cabinets.

madyankees
11-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Mousesi2k. Do your detolf interior get dusty? I checked it out at Ikea but there are gaps along the door

mousesi2k
11-17-2013, 11:33 PM
Mousesi2k. Do your detolf interior get dusty? I checked it out at Ikea but there are gaps along the door

To be honest, they do get very little dust. I've seen various mods that people have done to Detolfs and dust proofing was one of them. Mine get so little dust that it's not really a concern of mine. I like to rearrange my figures every so often in which I take that time to dust and clean as needed.