PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Turtles on Toy Hunter

MikeandRaph87
06-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Has anyone ever caught the Travel Channel's Toy Hunter? I have caught on ocassion when nothing else was on.Anyway, I just watched an episode that focused on the guy going to a Nerdseum in which the original line giants,Krang's Andriod body, and character cases were features as well as an opened but complete with box pizza thrower The guy bought it for $60 and turned around to sell it for $100. Would a pizza thrower vechicle from '89 really be that much complete out of the box? Hlope to find more Ninja Turtles items on the show.

Troll-Buster2000
06-23-2013, 09:27 PM
wrong section

Nameless
06-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Has anyone ever caught the Travel Channel's Toy Hunter? I have caught on ocassion when nothing else was on.Anyway, I just watched an episode that focused on the guy going to a Nerdseum in which the original line giants,Krang's Andriod body, and character cases were features as well as an opened but complete with box pizza thrower The guy bought it for $60 and turned around to sell it for $100. Would a pizza thrower vechicle from '89 really be that much complete out of the box? Hlope to find more Ninja Turtles items on the show.

As far as i've heard and know the toy hunter doesn't know his stuff when it comes to turtle toys. personally i'de say tops a pizza thrower like that should sell for the 60$. but more then likely i'de be a buyer at 30-40$. if i didn't already own one that is.

wrong section
I find it funny that your introduction post says you hate when people post things like this and then you go and do the same thing.;)

MikeandRaph87
06-24-2013, 10:24 AM
As far as i've heard and know the toy hunter doesn't know his stuff when it comes to turtle toys. personally i'de say tops a pizza thrower like that should sell for the 60$. but more then likely i'de be a buyer at 30-40$. if i didn't already own one that is.

It seemed out of price range. I priced it loose yet complete in nice shape with a box at $40 tops similar to what you would pay for it. It just seemed like he overpaid and oversold it. I wonder what other episodes feature turtle toys.

I find it funny that your introduction post says you hate when people post things like this and then you go and do the same thing.;)

You said what I was thinking.

Zarana-X
06-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Nearly everything on that show has an exaggerated price.:o
We've had several discussions about his GI Joe exploits on some other boards. Including somone who "bought" (cough) a $1500 item, and someone who was contacted to be on the show, but never filmed the segment.
Basically, the show is fake, and his prices are fake. Its more of a "showcase" and docudrama.

MikeandRaph87
06-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Nearly everything on that show has an exaggerated price.:o
We've had several discussions about his GI Joe exploits on some other boards. Including somone who "bought" (cough) a $1500 item, and someone who was contacted to be on the show, but never filmed the segment.
Basically, the show is fake, and his prices are fake. Its more of a "showcase" and docudrama.

This was only my thitd time watching it in 8 months.The turtle toy price made me suspect that and when the Masters of The universe playset in the box was bought for $1,200 dollars I knew something was up. MoTU was a little before my time,but there is no way the playset would go that high. The real negociation must happen off camera and attempt to make toys look like pricer treasures than they are. I am pretty good at pricing collectibless and unless its a GI Jane in the package I doubt it would go north of 1,000 on the GI Joe line.

Nameless
06-24-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm not a MOC collector but he bought a box of carded figures for 1200$ i think it was. and said he could 2500$... from what i saw they didn't have the fan club flyer so they weren't the first run figures that go for huge amounts. anyways i'm pretty sure he would have been lucky to break even on those ones, let alone get even close to 2500$. this is based on my experience of course.

Dtroppe
06-25-2013, 03:35 PM
I watch the show regularly and am a big collector of lots of different lines and toys. I think some times he is spot on with his prices- for instance he found a MOC cloth Undercover Leo and said he could try to get 600 for it. That is a decent price on MOC Undercover Leo- although I would not want to pay that high. I think a lot of his clients are willing to pay a full retail price rather than what a lot of us do - which is search for the best deals. We are in no rush to get our hands on figures so we have the time to look and negotiate. Now with that said- I have paid very high prices for toys that I just had to have in my collection. The toys are worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

MikeandRaph87
06-25-2013, 04:25 PM
I honestly got the impression that the negotiation is scripted to make the merchandise percieved to be more valuable than it was. I guess I need to bone up on prices of turtle toys. I though Shogun Shotae would top out at $500 mint in package and Scratch at $300 in similar condition. The others would be a little over $100 or less. Do you have an accurate accurate pricing link for me to study up on?

Jester
06-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Found a clip:
http://www.travelchannel.com/video/heroes-in-a-half-shell

Gah, his explanation of the franchise makes me wanna weep....

MikeandRaph87
06-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Found a clip:
http://www.travelchannel.com/video/heroes-in-a-half-shell

Gah, his explanation of the franchise makes me wanna weep....

Why did I ever open all of those figures as a kid! :cry: I didn't wise up until the '03 line.

I thought the four turtles went for $40 not $70? Guess I need to relearn prices. Scratch on the other hand was spot on. I would feel uncomfotable playing more than $150-$175. I thought I spent too much on Batman#232 but this is three times that price I paid. Maybe when I go deeper into my profession...

Aside from Shoguun Shoate and Scratch I have the other pricey ones in the package. Edit: Thanks,Jester! There is a reason it is said the jester is the mind behind the throne.