PDA

View Full Version : Michelangelo's Accent?

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-06-2013, 02:50 PM
What accent does Michelangelo in this series?

Any thoughts?

CyberCubed
07-06-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't notice any accent.

Powder
07-06-2013, 03:19 PM
There is no accent. Just... American.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-06-2013, 03:48 PM

That's a bit generic, and not true.

Raph has a New York accent.

No American accent is just 'American'

Luckyday
07-06-2013, 05:34 PM
In the 2k3, it's a stereotypical californian accent. It's what British people use to make fun of us.

Redeemer
07-06-2013, 07:31 PM
In the 2k3, it's a stereotypical californian accent. It's what British people use to make fun of us.

They're just jelous!!!

Powder
07-06-2013, 07:43 PM
That's a bit generic, and not true.

Raph has a New York accent.

No American accent is just 'American'

Nobody asked about Raphael. & yes, there are accents within the US that do not necessarily reflect the place they grew up in. To think otherwise is ignorant.

Coola Yagami
07-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Not really. Everyone has some sort of accent or matter of speaking based on where they live. People were randomly able to pick up my 'Chicago accent' even though I never told them I was from there and never even thought I had one.

Powder
07-06-2013, 07:56 PM
...There is a Chicago accent though. One that is often quite obvious.

Luckyday
07-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Does anybody notice that Donnie from the nick 2012 series has a american jewish accent. Seriously, there are times when I expecting him to say something yiddish.

Garfield
07-06-2013, 08:44 PM

Anyone who has the ability to speak has an accent of some kind, and all of the turtles have kinds of american accents.

Refractive Reflections
07-06-2013, 08:55 PM
I always thought OT Michelangelo was distinctively Californian with his surfer slang.

But with 2K3 Michelangelo, he had a more vague American youth style of slang... he wasn't predominately that "Californian" with his speech. :ohwell:

Hannurdock
07-07-2013, 05:54 AM
Mike's always had that surfer sound going on. He sounds the same in most incarnations, which is nice and consistant.

I think I would describe Mikey's accent as Surfer Slang - same as the person above - even down to his tone of voice.

Blossombrooks
07-07-2013, 05:58 AM

Um, no we don't. The 'stereotypical' Californian accent is something that has been propagated by American tv and film, how else would we silly British people know about it?

I always thought their regional dialects were perhaps a result of their favourite tv programmes and films they watched growing up, it's a logical reason for them all to be different.

Luckyday
07-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Okay granted, when British people try to sound american, they tend sound urban but what voice do you reference when speaking american?

Blossombrooks
07-07-2013, 12:55 PM
A generic one much like April's, no 'Dude' in sight. :D

Luckyday
07-07-2013, 01:17 PM
A generic one much like April's, no 'Dude' in sight. :D

But how do you exaggerate it to make sound funny? Come on, don't get all PC on me.:ohwell:

Blossombrooks
07-07-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm just not that funny old bean.

Anyway back on topic, I think Mikey's tone rather than accent is more predominant in 2k3.

Refractive Reflections
07-07-2013, 02:07 PM
If any of you are interested in looking into the dialect of "Californian English" further:
http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/californian/

...And other American dialects:
http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/

Luckyday
07-07-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm just not that funny old bean.

Anyway back on topic, I think Mikey's tone rather than accent is more predominant in 2k3.

Ok now you're just poking fun at your self. Anyway, it funny that you say that because when I hear 2k3 Mikey, he sounds like he speaking in all caps like he doesn't have inside voice. I really think that we need an video comparison of OT, 2k3, and nick 2k12 to determine the differences.

Jester
07-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Anyone who has the ability to speak has an accent of some kind, and all of the turtles have kinds of american accents.

Not always. I don't have a discernible accent. Most news people work on what is called "non regional diction" to make sure they have speak with no true accent, save possibly, "American."

BabyTurtles
07-07-2013, 06:59 PM
well I live in California.....and I would say 2003 Mikey has a California accent or Surfer accent.....though I'd have to say I'd never heard anyone talk THAT surfer here XD........

2012 Mikey to me, has a more realistic California accent, something you can hear all the time here

we do indeed say "dude" more than we should :D

Coola Yagami
07-07-2013, 09:32 PM
I've run into people in the bus that speak with 80's Mike exact tone of voice, except they didn't say dude or whatever. They talked seriously and using college-type terms, but I swear with the voice tone and accent, if they were to say cowabunga dude, they'd sound exactly like 80's Mike.

Not so sure about 2003 Mikey. He sounds kinda surfer, but more subdued. And way more hyper and cartoonish. I can't imagine a real person talking like that.

Luckyday
07-07-2013, 09:43 PM
I've run into people in the bus that speak with 80's Mike exact tone of voice, except they didn't say dude or whatever. They talked seriously and using college-type terms, but I swear with the voice tone and accent, if they were to say cowabunga dude, they'd sound exactly like 80's Mike.

Not so sure about 2003 Mikey. He sounds kinda surfer, but more subdued. And way more hyper and cartoonish. I can't imagine a real person talking like that.

And that is why I don't like 2k3 Mikey's voice. Nails on a chalkboard. Jesus christ.

Garfield
07-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Most news people work on what is called "non regional diction" to make sure they have speak with no true accent, save possibly, "American."

Accents differ due to the difference in phonetic prominence in an individuals voice over various of syllables.

To speak is to have an accent.

I looked up "non regional diction" and I found.

"Non-regional diction is a choice of words in a piece of writing that does not use the local dialect of a language."

I understand this, but we have to realize that dialect and accent aren't the same.

The American news casters that speak with "Non-regional dictation" are going to have a noticeable accent to someone in say...a certain part of England, even if they aren't using a discernible kind of dialect.

As for 2k3 Mike I honestly don't know. I always kind of though, that this version of Mikey was emulating a voice kind of similar to the 87 Mike. But I can't really say. I honestly don't think I have ever meet anyone with a real California Surfer voice so I don't know, Sometimes, what they are going for isn't what comes out.

Prowler
07-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Not always. I don't have a discernible accent. Most news people work on what is called "non regional diction" to make sure they have speak with no true accent, save possibly, "American."
Every language has a "standard" form that's used in the media.