PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate 2k3 mikey?

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-08-2013, 03:37 AM
Seriously, why do some(not all) people think he is the worst incarnation of the character?

I thought that 2003 Mikey is the second best incarnation of the character, next to the 2012 version of the character, who is my favorite incarnation of the character.

anyway, why do people hate the 2k3 version of the character?

Candy Kappa
07-08-2013, 03:55 AM
he is extremely obnoxious, especially after winning the Battle Nexus

Anarchistguy
07-08-2013, 04:03 AM
I didn't mind him at first, but after winning the Battle Nexus, he turned into the most annoying and obnoxious SOB EVER!!!

Shark_Blade
07-08-2013, 05:32 AM
Never hated him.

Raph on the other hand..

Jester
07-08-2013, 07:10 AM
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=36318

Prowler
07-09-2013, 08:59 PM
He was fine in season 1, but after that it seemed like he became obnoxious and kinda retarded as well. Plenty of his "jokes" weren't funny and sometimes just flat out embarrassing.

Luckyday
07-09-2013, 09:50 PM
I will admit 2003 Mikey's personality in of itself is not bad (it is slightly better than 2012) it just that I really strongly dislike the voicing acting behind it and I'm sorry but the voice is simply too obnoxious for me. It was like a small part of that character was taking up to freak'n eleven. Greg cipes's voice in the new show is much more subtle and has depth to his portrayal.

tunecedemalis
07-09-2013, 11:00 PM
He had his obnoxious moments, but all in all I like 4kids Mikey. His girly screams are quite humorous.

Cipher
07-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Because he's awful. He's loud and self-centered and the vehicle for nearly all of the series patently unfunny attempts at humor. His character regresses horribly over the course of all seven seasons and generally stands in stark contrast to the humble, caring Michelangelo both Mirage and the Fred Wolf cartoon had presented.

CyberCubed
07-09-2013, 11:06 PM
His character gets progressively worse throughout the course of the show. Which is a shame because I really liked him in the first few seasons.

BabyTurtles
07-10-2013, 12:09 AM
....I never hated him....

Mandi-chan
07-10-2013, 04:25 AM
Mikey was my favorite character on the 4Kids show until the S4 premiere, he dropped to the bottom of the barrel so fast after that episode aired...

Seasons 1 and 2 I had no problem with him at all (although I preferred how he sounded in S1, never liked the overly gruff/older-sounding voice he took on after a while), he was lovable and amusing (although he did seem a bit dim a couple of times in S2).

I still loved him just as much in S3, but I'm not going to lie...the problems I started having with his character were definitely becoming noticeable to me that season. "Winning" the Battle Nexus Championship most certainly inflated his ego between seasons, and it showed. His constant bragging about it quickly became annoying IMO. Plus, the trend of Mikey learning some kind of lesson, only to have it completely ignored/forgotten by the next episode became a thing that season too (I don't remember noticing it in seasons 1 and 2 TBH).

Basically, Mikey's flaws started showing, for me, in S3. But they were IMO mild and I was able to easily forgive/ignore them.

But then his asshole-behavior/narcissism came flying out of the woodwork in the S4 premiere...and that was basically the beginning of the end of my love for 4Kids Mikey.

That season onward he's a huge jerk who never learns anything, stops showing compassion for those around him after awhile, seems to get dumber, and is completely self-absorbed and doesn't care who he annoys/insults to satisfy his own amusement! And it just gets worse and worse too.

Shark_Blade
07-10-2013, 04:45 AM
Maybe I should start a "why do people hate 2k3 Raph" thread. Cause you know, there are times I hate his stupidity and ego.

Donatello19
07-10-2013, 06:33 AM
There will always be haters no matter what...

I wouldn't say I hate 2k3 Mikey, but he's probably my least favorite incarnation of him. Not for any particular reason, just because I find the other incarnations to be much more like able. Plus, I think they tried to hard to make 2k3 Mikey be funny, which most of the time he wasn't and just came off as annoying.

BubblyShell22
07-10-2013, 07:56 AM
I liked 2K3 Mikey until he won the Battle Nexus. After that he became a huge jerk, and I also hated how he'd be taught lessons and then forget about them by the next episode that basically dealt with the same thing. So horrible.

madyankees
07-10-2013, 09:19 AM
I don't hate him at all. But I do have my reservations about the turtle titan/justice force episodes

Redeemer
07-10-2013, 12:00 PM
If people think 2k3 Mikey is Stupid/ Retarded.....what does that make 2k12 Mikey??? Supe-Retard??

BabyTurtles
07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
If people think 2k3 Mikey is Stupid/ Retarded.....what does that make 2k12 Mikey??? Supe-Retard??

I don't think anyone called 2003 Mikey stupid.....

they just say they don't like his narcissism and his some of jokes....

I love both Mikeys but I have to admit 2003 Mikey did get a little braggy after the Battle Nexus XD......

2012 Mikey might not be the brightest crayon in the box....but he is still a compassionate, creative, and fun loving character. Mikey is the heart of the team.....thats his job.
2003 Mikey...seemed to lose some of the traits that makes a "Mikey" later in the series

that said he was still my favorite turtle :D and has his moments~
I laughed at most of his jokes~ (then again I laugh at everything) XD

Redeemer
07-10-2013, 01:56 PM
I don't think anyone called 2003 Mikey stupid.....

they just say they don't like his narcissism and his some of jokes....

Your'e right, but this is like the 100th thread bashing 2K3 mikey, and it gets old fast.

People have gone as far to call this version of Mikey a stupid/retard. I just dont understand the hate, he is goofy, but not dumb by any means.

BabyTurtles
07-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Your'e right, but this is like the 100th thread bashing 2K3 mikey, and it gets old fast.

People have gone as far to call this version of Mikey a stupid/retard. I just dont understand the hate, he is goofy, but not dumb by any means.

like I said no ones is saying he's dumb (in the smart kind of way)
and I like him goofy....he was hilarious XD
:) this version of Mikey is my second fav~

but everyone has their opinions....I know quite a few people who thought Leo was bland in the 2003 version. (but even he had his awesome moments~)

CowabungaMikey
07-21-2013, 12:51 AM
I don't hate the 2003 incarnation. He is just my least favorite Mikey. My favorite still is the 1987 Mikey. I love his voice =D

Trivia
07-21-2013, 02:49 AM
I didn't even know most/many people dislike 2k3 Mikey.
However, he seems to be a character made to be slightly very much annoying.
I believe the whole 2k3 series focused on creating distinct personalities.
Still an invalid argument for Mikeys pure goofiness, but they needed someone to piss off Raph, right?

But I can clearly see the reason people would dislike Mikey.
I'm just not one of those who do. I really like him in 2k3.

snake
07-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Mostly because he was annoying and unfunny for the first two seasons then he got even worse when he won the Battle Nexus.The OT and 2012 incarnations are much better.

(This is coming from a Mikey fan, BTW.)

Mikey at Heart
07-21-2013, 12:04 PM
I was kinda surprised and sad to find out that so many people disliked him. 2003 Mikey was my first favorite turtle, and I've always loved him(my profile probably shows that, huh? :P).

I can understand why he might get on some people's nerves though. He's very loud, and he loves attention so he does all sorts of crazy things in order to get people to notice him (I figure this makes sense though, since he's considered the youngest turtle and usually the youngest kid in a family tends to crave more attention than the others).

I was never annoyed by how he would always talk about being the Battle Nexus Champion. I guess I never took it in a "hey, I'm better than you guys" kind of way. I always figured it was more of a "hey guys, look at me! I can do important stuff too! Please pay attention to me!" kind of thing.

I guess I never saw it as bad because all of my best guy friends act the same way. But they're all really nice and don't think they're better than others, so I guess I kind of assumed Mikey was the same way. ^_^'

I don't know. Everyone has their own opinion, and there'll always be those who like a character and those who don't. Personally though, I'm one of those people who like 2k3 Mikey. :3

thebrownranger
07-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Never hated the 2k3 Mikey. Loved his voice and personality more than the Nickelodeon version of Mikey.

Leofan26
07-22-2013, 01:27 AM
I didn't mind him, I actually like him a lot in seasons 1-3but after that, I do admit he got kind of annoying but never hated. However, I have noticed as new series keep coming writers tend to make him look more stupid and while he was the comical one next to Raph in the 80s version, I didn't feel he was like the 2003 or 2012 versions of level. I hope 2012 Mikey can be fixed over time.

dudeabides
07-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Maybe he wouldn't have had to hand out so many friendly reminders if anybody else ever acknoweleged that he was... Battle Nexus Champion!

Electric
07-22-2013, 10:31 AM
i was fine with 2k3 mikey, no issues what so ever. and i didnt mind 2k3 raph either (as people seem to dislike him) and i also didnt find 2k3 leo as boring as people say? are there any issues with donnie from 2k3 cause i didnt mind him either? Mikey is meant to be the obnoxious, attempts to be funny, turtle. and yes, he won battle nexus, and with his personality i would expect nothing less than for him to brag about his possibly greatest accomplishment that he won over his brothers.

Voices for the characters did bother me, mikey too deep, raph too 30-year-old, leo and donnie too similar.

I didnt know this many people had issues with the 2k3 turtles, i really hope no one starts hating on the 2k12 ones, cause i think theyre pretty near incredible:tgrumble:

Shark_Blade
07-22-2013, 11:42 AM
You gotta love Mikey.

7jyaJpcqkF4

Bless he/she who made this video.

TurtleTitan97
07-22-2013, 11:51 AM
^ Gotta love Mikey's girly scream.:tlol:

Zany Orange Dude
07-22-2013, 12:00 PM
My favorite thing about 2k3 Mikey, his girl scream!:tlol:

Gwydion
07-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Gotta admit, I'm one of those that really dislikes him. The writers on that show just were not that good at writing humor, and Mikey is the goofball so he had the most shoehorned in jokes. Combine that with the fact that I didn't care for his voice actor and it makes for a pretty annoying combination (and I only saw 1 or 2 episodes after the BNC arc). He's actually a big reason why I could never finish the series.

Gokhan
07-22-2013, 03:54 PM
2k3 mikey was cool. And def a great fighter. Just watch the scenes of him fighting the elite guard. He def was a little 2 jokey sometime but nothing compared to how dumbed down this 2012 mike is.

Konchadunga
07-22-2013, 09:53 PM
The problem with him is, as 4Kids Raphael aptly put it, the same as many people have with the Fred Wolf Turtles in Turtles Forever. It's one thing to be a fun-loving character with a good sense of humor, but when you're still carefree after loads of evidence that a lot of the world is out to get you, then it crosses over to just being stupid. The only example I can think of off the top of my head is that episode where he neglects ninja training to play video games all day, but I have a feeling there were others. When things are dangerous, and a dude is cocky and seemingly uncaring, you never want to root for him.

I don't hate the guy, though. He's pretty good in the Turtle Titan episodes and "The Christmas Aliens." Ideally, being the turtle interested in human culture has its good sides, but they just don't usually acknowledge the good sides; preferring either to make him the butt-monkey, or make other guys his butt-monkey.

Hero
07-23-2013, 02:56 AM
Isn't 'hate' a little bit too strong?

You can dislike a way a fictional character is written and portrayed, but hate seems a little to much and personal.

I think the idea of Mikey was that he was a bit annoying and had his challenges. The 2K3 show did show him from Raphael's perspective a fair bit. The 2K3 Mikey character didn't bother me too much and he had some great moments. Winning the Battle Nexus was one of them ;).

Raphaeline
07-23-2013, 04:08 AM
I liked Mikey from 2003, I love his voice, and for once he looks a bit bulky (and not the weakest/smallest physicaly).

And Raph from 2003 is my favorite, I just love his voice or the things he says. He can be badass and cute at the same time.

Gin Rummy
07-24-2013, 12:43 AM
I thought Mikey was fine in 2k3. Considering how serious in tone the 2k3 series was compared to other shows in Turtles media it was nice to have Mike to add some much needed levity to the show.

That being said, I do agree that Mikey's humor got old on occasion. & His jokes were, at times cringe worthy, & Unfunny. But all in all behind The Movie Mike. I'd say the 2k3 is one of my favorite incarnations of him.

dudeabides
08-01-2013, 09:58 PM
2k3 Mikey plus Mirage Mikey plus Nick Mikey plus OT Mikey would make a great team. Who needs those other guys?

Konchadunga
08-01-2013, 10:04 PM
2k3 Mikey plus Mirage Mikey plus Nick Mikey plus OT Mikey would make a great team. Who needs those other guys?

What that would make, is the TMNT3 turtles.

Vivi
08-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Whatevs. I love this version of Mikey.

The Sewer Lord
08-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Whatevs. I love this version of Mikey.

I agree. He's awesome. At least 'till Fat Forward. :tgrumble:

Raphaeline
08-02-2013, 08:38 AM
What happens to him in fastforward?

I didn't see that season, everyone is saying it's really bad, so I'm not motivated :lol:

Leo656
08-02-2013, 09:01 AM
I don't *hate* him, but damn if he wasn't baked beyond all comprehension. The whole "smoked two joints and drank a gallon of Jolt Cola" act got old after a while.

All Mikeys get a bad rap, though. His character type falls into annoying repetition almost by design, as his most widely-recognized personality was more or less a product of 1980s focus groups on what kids at the time thought were "hip". Any character whose main goal is to provide the slapstick, catchphrases, and "bad on purpose" jokes is going to wear thin sooner rather than later.

DonatelloNinja82
08-05-2013, 11:04 PM
You gotta love Mikey.

7jyaJpcqkF4

Bless he/she who made this video.

OMG I love his girly screams...I don't hate 2k3 Mikey. I find him funny as heck. He's just not my favorite Mikey.

Raphaeline
08-06-2013, 06:53 PM
I love his girly screams as well :lol:

and when in the opening he dances and says "we shredded Shredder!" :tlol:

Technogeek29
08-13-2013, 04:29 AM
2k3 Michelangelo could've been a pretty interesting character if the focus wasn't so heavily on Leo.

Unconvincing Turtle Titan- Mikey wants to step out of the shadows and do some good, or what he feels would actually help and benefit the world. But he knows he won't be socially excepted the way he is so what if he was a symbol? Of course Mikey learns their are plenty of ways to do good and he doesn't need to be notice to for doing so.

Notes from the Underground- Debatable but I count this a Mikey Centric arc. Here is very much highlighted despite his big talk and showboating, Mikey is really insecure and cowardly. He constantly wants to leave and feels this is a terrible idea, He doesn't trust Quarry of the other mutants and actually told the least amount of jokes here. Also there was a brief look at his compassion, when he feels sorry for the guy stuck in the underground city after they imprison him.

What a Croc- The usual egotist Mikey actually has a touch of compassion here, befriending leatherhead and otherwise Monster on the outside but gentle giant on the inside. While the other Turtles appear it's Mikey who is the most heartbroken for their friend when he only wants to go home and be with his family. Being alone can make a person do crazy things and a flash back to Notes of the Underground would have worked wonders for Mike's character development. Afterwards when Leatherhead is thought to have perish he admits he's very thankful he has his brothers in his life, and returns to his upbeat self when he makes fun of Raph at the end. Mikey being lonely or forgotten is subtly touched upon a lot in this series.

The Big Brawl- Where many feel Mikey started to fall (which he did) he also rised here as well. In the battle Nexus throughout Mikey never thought for once he could win the entire tournament. He went against many creatures and just waved them off as the next opponent. But when it came to his own family he suddenly felt out of his league until Master Splinter let him win. Afterwards he was back to his old narcissistic self, especially in the Raph vs Mikey fight where he knew he could press his buttons. Suddenly somewhere in his mind, he got the idea he was untouchable and went around taunting people openly as oppose to earlier where he probably just entered because Splinter let them. This of course makes him a rival "Kluh" who gets infuriated by Mikey's bloated ego. By accidently winning the Tournament Mikey felt he had a trophy he could hang over his bros. head for once which he constantly gloats about many episodes later.

Touch and Go- My favorite Michelangelo centric episode next to "What's Michelangelo good for" Here he has grown increasingly narcissistic and more lazy than ever. Splinter decides to fix this, but is interrupted by a new pair of villains Mr. Touch and Go. Here it emphasizes Mikey's cleverness and natural talent. He is pretty fast on his feet and knows how to get under someone's skin better than anyone. In a sense they played his bad habits as a strength, suddenly being a loud mouth show boater wasn't a bad thing for him. As it allowed him to control the fight makes his opponents careless or sloppy. By the end Splinter realizes he shouldn't try to change him, more he should guide him to focus more on being what makes Mikey himself.

Christmas Aliens- Another episode where Mikey thinks of someone other than himself. This is of course like the Unconvincing Turtle Titan where Mikey wishes he could be apart of society. So he goes out and have fun on Christmas eve, finding a stray cat he names "Klunk" Instead of enjoying the usual festivities with his family he puts a stop to the Purple Dragon's who are stealing toys from an orphanage. Making others happy and smiling is a universal constant for Michelangelo, and when all is said and done. He decides to make the best Christmas ever for the kids at the Orphanage when could've otherwise just stop the robbery and be done with it.

Reality Check- Mikey is sent to another world by Ultimate Drako, finding this world to be amazingly awesome but bizarre for his taste. He quickly loses his upbeat attitude when he see's his father figure is the most renowned villain in this world. This episode is the weaker of the Mikey Centric episodes covering points we already know about the character. He runs his mouth able to manipulate and control what he wants his opponent to do, like when Slither is tricked by his universal counterpart posing as him. A fun episode but this aspect was already covered in "Touch and Go".

Grudge Match- After a whole season of gloating about being the Battle Nexus Champion, Mikey is challenged to a rematch by Kluh who feels he was cheated in the final round. While not touched it is implied that Mikey deep down doesn't think he deserves the Title. He is ready to give it up at anytime, and while he appreciates Leo helping him when he was distraught of the others leaving him hung and dry. Mikey still doesn't care whether he wins or lose. This was just something he could hang over his brothers heads something he was better at than everyone else. If he couldn't get the world to notice him, he at least wanted his family to remember him for something. Mikey does value his family very highly it seems. Only getting serious once he felt his failure would effect them in someway. Shows some form of humility and self pity if he can easily except himself being seen as a failure but loses it when his family was brought into the picture. I find that rather touching and sad from this version of the character.

Seems Mikey is the 2nd most focus on Turtle in 2K3 while I admit he is annoying and I still prefer Movie 1 Mikey the most. I can at least give this version a fair chance. His bad rep is deserve, but as my 2nd favorite Turtle I can find things I like about the guy. 2K12 will probably grow on me come the 2nd season but I currently like him less than 2K3.

Davetello
08-14-2013, 01:19 AM
After a while he becomes fairly irritating and more bratty. In the 1987 series he's depicted as a jokester, but loveable with it and very charismatic. In the 2k3 show though he seems to have an element of narcissism going on and doesn't seem to understand how his immature comments may affect others.

In his defence, something which may not always be mentioned is that his brothers treat him pretty unfairly earlier in the show. They probably know themselves that it's just brotherly 'banter' but I don't like seeing them smack him on the head or make constant jokes at his expense. Deep down it probably affected him and in later seasons led to him going the other way and becoming the obnoxious, arrogant individual he is sometimes protrayed as. Perhaps it's a defence mechanism of sorts. But by that stage he's much older and should learn to be responsible for his own actions and behaviour.

MogwaiNinja89
09-01-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm honestly baffled at the hate he receives. Some of the complaints against him are reasonable...but HIGHLY exaggerated. I mean, exaggerated to the point of pure misconception. I don't say this to be confrontational, but I don't see this huge, asshole, egomaniac jerk fans seem to. It's just not there in the way people seem to say it it. And really, he earned to right to brag considering him and Donny are always second fiddle to Leo and Raph. So it's ok for Raph to act like a total ass, but Mikey can't get a little cocky?

What baffles me more is that fact people champion Nick Mikey when I find him to be much, MUCH more irritating. He's borderline mentally handicapped. Oh well:tconfuse:

Zachatello00
09-01-2013, 04:54 PM
I love Mike in this series. My favorite Episode is turtles in space one, the way he orders the food from the cook, and screams and raises his arms in the side car. Hate him all you want, I thought this was one of the better versions of Mike.

Electric
09-02-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm honestly baffled at the hate he receives. Some of the complaints against him are reasonable...but HIGHLY exaggerated. I mean, exaggerated to the point of pure misconception. I don't say this to be confrontational, but I don't see this huge, asshole, egomaniac jerk fans seem to. It's just not there in the way people seem to say it it. And really, he earned to right to brag considering him and Donny are always second fiddle to Leo and Raph. So it's ok for Raph to act like a total ass, but Mikey can't get a little cocky?

What baffles me more is that fact people champion Nick Mikey when I find him to be much, MUCH more irritating. He's borderline mentally handicapped. Oh well:tconfuse:

i agree. i understand where all these traits are seen but i dont get how they ruin the character for some people. Yeah, he was never serious. Yes, he always tried to be funny and most of the time he wasnt. Yes he bragged a lot. I think people over look that THAT is mikeys character. the joking, somewhat annoying, goofy brother. put that in a more serious take on the turtles (where leo gets PTSD after almost dying, Donnie secludes himself after he feels he lost splinter, raphs attitude is amplified and darkened) and this is the result. its this more serious versions mikey, which i think fits perfectly.

and i really dont get why people got upset about mikeys bragging over the battle nexus champion thing. it would feel unnatural if mikey won it, after beating raph, and didnt try and brag constantly. do they want a mikey thats not mikey?

i do disagree with you on the nick mikey thing. i like him, he a more loving, ADD mikey, again just fitting into this new series. but like you said, people find fault with it.

Coola Yagami
09-02-2013, 09:07 PM
It got to the point that none of the other characters wanted to be around him.... and I started to agree with them.

Leo656
09-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Especially because Mikey's winning the Battle Nexus seemed like such a Vince Russo "swerve". "Well, Leo or Raphael would almost certainly win, and *should* win, so of COURSE we'll have Mikey win because it's unexpected!" Which is fine, but when the end result really was just turning Mikey into a braggart, it became just a blatant "Let's screw with the fans' expectations" angle with a mediocre payoff.

As predictable as it would have been, Leo or Raph (Leo) probably should have won.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
09-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Especially because Mikey's winning the Battle Nexus seemed like such a Vince Russo "swerve". "Well, Leo or Raphael would almost certainly win, and *should* win, so of COURSE we'll have Mikey win because it's unexpected!" Which is fine, but when the end result really was just turning Mikey into a braggart, it became just a blatant "Let's screw with the fans' expectations" angle with a mediocre payoff.

As predictable as it would have been, Leo or Raph (Leo) probably should have won.

I wanted Raph to win

TheBlueTurtle1
09-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Especially because Mikey's winning the Battle Nexus seemed like such a Vince Russo . "Well, Leo or Raphael would almost certainly win, and *should* win, so of COURSE we'll have Mikey win because it's unexpected!" Which is fine, but when the end result really was just turning Mikey into a braggart, it became just a blatant "Let's screw with the fans' expectations" angle with a mediocre payoff.

Do you mean like Vince Russo pushing King Mable kinda a "swerve"? Or his decision to randomly swap Road Dogg and Billy Gunn around at Wrestlemania 15?

Leo656
09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Why the F*CK do you have to mention that?!
http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/1670388.jpg

......But yes, exactly like that. :lol: (Although I don't know if Russo was booking yet)

Sabacooza
09-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't say I hated 2003 Mikey but his voice started to get annoying and his intelligence began to degrade to Homer Simpson levels.

MogwaiNinja89
09-03-2013, 04:44 PM
No, that's 2k12 Mikey:P

And if any actor in 2k3 was forced, it was Raph. His OTT tough guy NY accent was the most artificial for me.

turtletoons81
09-03-2013, 09:03 PM
No, that's 2k12 Mikey:P

And if any actor in 2k3 was forced, it was Raph. His OTT tough guy NY accent was the most artificial for me.

never had a problem with raph 2k3 voice nor 2k12 mikey mostly because they sounded fine to me also saying mikey in 2k12 is dumb kinda seems true but he does that to get attention and he never cared what he learns in training and follow his own thing like watch kung fu and stuff like that. i mean if mikey was homer simpson level of dumb he couldn't do all those training moveset you see on the show no one that dumb can pull those moves except for mikey (sorry for this whole rant i just needed this off my chest it just bothers me to see alot of bashing on 2k12 mikey as a character on itself) now aside from that 2k3 mikey i liked him from season 1-5 but around 6 and 7 it's where i found him annoying.

Electric
09-04-2013, 05:11 PM
never had a problem with raph 2k3 voice nor 2k12 mikey mostly because they sounded fine to me also saying mikey in 2k12 is dumb kinda seems true but he does that to get attention and he never cared what he learns in training and follow his own thing like watch kung fu and stuff like that. i mean if mikey was homer simpson level of dumb he couldn't do all those training moveset you see on the show no one that dumb can pull those moves except for mikey (sorry for this whole rant i just needed this off my chest it just bothers me to see alot of bashing on 2k12 mikey as a character on itself) now aside from that 2k3 mikey i liked him from season 1-5 but around 6 and 7 it's where i found him annoying.

thats when most of the show started to get annoying

(sorry for bashing FF and BTTS for anyone that likes them, i just could not stand them)

***First of Two Latin Kings***
09-04-2013, 06:38 PM
I don't dislike Fast Forward or BTTS, but I did find his voice AND personality annoying. That started early on though, even when the writing was still really good, he'd say things that were so dumb that all the turtles would give him that "WTF?" look. The 2007 CGI movie and Nick versions of the character are much better.

dragonside
09-11-2013, 05:27 PM
hahah he reminds me of myself. that comic book unfocused guy... ahhhhh Mikey!

Shiro Kame
09-13-2013, 11:20 AM
I liked this version of Mikey, he was very hillarious. I'll admit I thought he was kinda dumb when I was younger, but I like him better now.

tmntpower1988
09-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Imo the 2k3 Mikey is my favorite. Always makes me laugh when the other turtles slap him in the head :lol: :lol: :lol:

MikLeo
09-21-2013, 01:37 PM
I find him more annoying than hate.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
09-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Imo the 2k3 Mikey is my favorite. Always makes me laugh when the other turtles slap him in the head :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol i found it funny one time where Mikey boasts about battle nexus, then Raph goes to slap him on the head. Leo stops him and then Leo slaps Mikey on the head.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
09-22-2013, 05:29 PM
I liked 2K3 Mikey until he won the Battle Nexus. After that he became a huge jerk, and I also hated how he'd be taught lessons and then forget about them by the next episode that basically dealt with the same thing. So horrible.

Nothing wrong with him.

The turtles kick butt, yes. But being considered the greatest warriors of all time and space, not really.

LeotheLateBloomer
09-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Honestly, I love this version of Mikey. I always laughed at his antics and to me, he has more personality than any other version of the character, more so than the comics where he was least focused on. He always represented the typical fun-loving brother who knows how to make a person smile (when he's not annoying them). He was always like the Flash of the group, being the most light-hearted of the team compared to his brothers. This Mikey is a combination of everything from the previous incarnations (Mirage, 87, Movies, Archie). To me, I think his personality is much needed in this show for there needs to be someone who can keep the series in a happier mood.

Mikey is relatable to me in this series because he's always that person who may be seen as annoying on the outside but always tries to do his best either by making a person happy or by being there for others. He knows when it's time to be serious, regardless of whether he shows it or not.

Xiewin
06-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Worst version ever.... He was okay in season 1- 2, but after that he became so irritating for me to watch. Not only was he very annoying, but he became such an insensitive and narcissistic character in the later seasons. I almost stopped watching this version because of him. He just lacks to much heart in this incarnation, and it just got even worst in FF and BTS.

I can love every other version of Mikey expect for this one. I just hated how they enforced the idea that he was secretly better than his brothers, because it just infatuated his ego as each episode went on. Not only that, his constant insults at raph were sometimes just flat-out mean... I mean raph did throw insults at others himself, but at-least he knew when to stop.

Cure
06-02-2014, 11:16 PM
I'm sure it's been said a lot, but I was fine with him in the beginning. After he won the nexus thing, though...woof.

Cipher
06-02-2014, 11:39 PM
I'm sure it's been said a lot, but I was fine with him in the beginning. After he won the nexus thing, though...woof.
I don't even think it was the Nexus thing. I do agree he's a lot more tolerable in the first two seasons (I even remember chuckling at a few scenes involving him), but his main issue is consistent throughout the series -- he's the delivery vehicle for every single one of the series' jokes. It's just that, for some reason, those jokes tend to be occasionally funny near the beginning of the series, and jaw-droppingly terrible later on.

And, I guess, there's an increasing focus on his own narcissism and immaturity. That's pretty irritating.

But, yeah. Still the worst version of the character by heads and shoulders. Most Michelangelos are charming and sensitive. This one's just an asshole.

Netkeeper
06-03-2014, 02:00 AM
lmao what even is this thread

2k3 Mikey is hands-down the best version of him. He has actual depth, remains funny just like in almost ALL versions, but he has a very flawed personality which only adds more charm to him? He cracks jokes and not always at the most appropriate of times ["Leatherhead was like a raging wolverine!"] because he wants to see the humour in every situation instead because god damn it somebody on this team needs to. He likes standing out from a crowd and that isn't always easy when you have three brothers and one sensei to hold the attention of. He's also observant and knows how to push his brothers' buttons to get what he wants out of them. 2k3 Mikey has the emotional keen eye that a manipulative bastard could possess.

He only drew attention to himself after winning the Battle Nexus because HE WON SOMETHING, he got to be the brother with a distinguishing feature for once, and god damn it he was proud of it. He is an attention-seeker, he wants validation, and when he gets enough of it, he stops. Or did you need that spelt out for you in a character-focus episode that everyone who wasn't a fan of him would have called 'filler'? I'm beginning to think it might have actually been necessary considering how many people forgot that he STOPPED begging for attention over his victory after a little while. That phase [yes, phase, he is a teenager after all] was temporary.

I'd wager a guess and say that the vocal minority that doesn't like him wishes he was more like some other version of the character instead, but I'm honestly not sure what version that would be. The 87 version was cute and funny as well, but more one-track minded; always with the pizza. The 90's films version was amazing, but I don't think he got enough screentime for most people to really miss all that much? So I have no clue. Did you guys get butthurt over lack of combat coldcuts? What is 2k3 Mikey missing? Do I need to go hunting for each of his character establishing moments or have I spelt enough of it out?

pennydreadful
06-03-2014, 04:24 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6902770688/hE6098076/

Hehe, I kid. :P

Seriously though, I get why some people find 2k3 Mikey a bit much, but I still think he's a big sweetheart. He just gets overexcited sometimes - he is still a teenager, after all. All teens get a little narcissistic at times. He has a good heart.

Blackeyedsonic
06-03-2014, 06:59 AM
I don't know I found him funny and I loved when he won the battle nexsus

TheBlueTurtle1
06-03-2014, 08:21 AM
I don't know I found him funny and I loved when he won the battle nexsus

same here, I think Mikey 2003 is awesome.

Blackeyedsonic
06-03-2014, 09:11 AM
same here, I think Mikey 2003 is awesome.

That's cool I don't think mikey gets enufe creadit

Shiro Kame
06-03-2014, 09:16 AM
That's cool I don't think mikey gets enufe creadit
Yeah, I especially found him fun and cute in the last season, especially in "SuperQuest". (Hey, I'm a girl. I find hyperactive bipedal animals cute)

Blackeyedsonic
06-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I especially found him fun and cute in the last season, especially in "SuperQuest". (Hey, I'm a girl. I find hyperactive bipedal animals cute)

Lol so you'll find me cute :3 but back on mikey If you've ever watched death battle they treated him like a joke it ticked me off

Shiro Kame
06-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Me too. It's even stated that he's probably the most skilled, but just lacks the focus, as shown in Touch and Go, and Grudge Match. I especially liked More Worlds Than One, where he showed everyone up.

Blackeyedsonic
06-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Me too. It's even stated that he's probably the most skilled, but just lacks the focus, as shown in Touch and Go, and Grudge Match. I especially liked More Worlds Than One, where he showed everyone up.

Yes I love thouse episodes admittedly I'm more of a Leo fan but Mikey's well the me of that team and to have him called retarded ugh

Shiro Kame
06-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Yes I love thouse episodes admittedly I'm more of a Leo fan but Mikey's well the me of that team and to have him called retarded ugh

Yeah, he just suffers from ADD, he is NOT a retard. And I've met retarded kids before, so he is not one. And retards are nice, intelligent people too!

Blackeyedsonic
06-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Yeah, he just suffers from ADD, he is NOT a retard. And I've met retarded kids before, so he is not one. And retards are nice, intelligent people too!

You got that right heck they even made fun of his weapon and didnt mention that he has multiple types from difrent shows like tonfas in one a a kunai with chain

Shiro Kame
06-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Yeah, and that video took place before the 2012 cartoon aired.

Blackeyedsonic
06-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Yeah, and that video took place before the 2012 cartoon aired.

True I mean I like Leo and part of me is glad he won (oops spolier) but they didn't respect any of Mikey's wins at all in that

Shiro Kame
06-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Yeah, they even called him a pot head! That pissed me off that they were so judgemental about his hyperactive nature.

Blackeyedsonic
06-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Yeah, they even called him a pot head! That pissed me off that they were so judgemental about his hyperactive nature.

Yeah I mean I like death battle but sometimes they get me mad with their bais like boomstick was like "Mikey's not gonna this is he?" Then wiz is like "he better not" that's low man

Shiro Kame
06-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Yeah, at least Leo won against that frog dude in the next episode.

Blackeyedsonic
06-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Yeah, at least Leo won against that frog dude in the next episode.

True that Leo's my favorite but Mikey's my second favorite

Cure
06-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Did you guys get butthurt over lack of combat coldcuts? What is 2k3 Mikey missing? Do I need to go hunting for each of his character establishing moments or have I spelt enough of it out?

Relax, man. It's cool you like this Michelangelo so much, but you don't need to be so abrasive. Some like him, some don't. It's not buttpain and you don't need to spell it out for people; it's not gonna change their minds.

Also, everyone count how many of the above posts start with "yeah".

Blackeyedsonic
06-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Relax, man. It's cool you like this Michelangelo so much, but you don't need to be so abrasive. Some like him, some don't. It's not buttpain and you don't need to spell it out for people; it's not gonna change their minds.

Lol sorry I'm so predictable

Kanon
06-03-2014, 11:52 AM
I donīt like 2k3 Mikey cause he is too........annoying.
He behaves like a six year old obsessive boy, who canīt let go of videogames and pizza.
And his "I am the pretty one" is just......argh!!!! Itīs Raph not you!

I really enjoyed the episode in fast forward, when he gets his shell kicked off by the Ice Hockey robots. :lol:

Xiewin
06-03-2014, 12:34 PM
I never thought this version of Mikey was either stupid or retarded, it's just that his ego is just so irritating... I really like Mikey as a character, but this one is just soo frustrating for me to watch. He just doesn't have any compassion for anyone, but himself (with the exception of his treatment with klunk, that was just adorable) but that was before he started becoming more selfish overtime. He always seems less concerned about his brothers, and more about insulting others, or playing video games. He was such a huge jerk.
I don't know why he keeps throwing all his one-liner insults at Raph, when he knows the dude as angry management problems. He is just too self-absorbed.. ughhh

pennydreadful
06-03-2014, 03:36 PM
I never thought this version of Mikey was either stupid or retarded, it's just that his ego is just so irritating... I really like Mikey as a character, but this one is just soo frustrating for me to watch. He just doesn't have any compassion for anyone, but himself (with the exception of his treatment with klunk, that was just adorable) but that was before he started becoming more selfish overtime. He always seems less concerned about his brothers, and more about insulting others, or playing video games. He was such a huge jerk.
I don't know why he keeps throwing all his one-liner insults at Raph, when he knows the dude as angry management problems. He is just too self-absorbed.. ughhh

I love seeing Mikey with Klunk. :) I always figured that Mikey enjoys needling Raph - he teases him because he knows he'll probably get a reaction, but they both really care about each other so it's ok.

Xiewin
06-03-2014, 03:51 PM
I love seeing Mikey with Klunk. :) I always figured that Mikey enjoys needling Raph - he teases him because he knows he'll probably get a reaction, but they both really care about each other so it's ok.

I loved his relationship with Klunk too, but i felt the writers might have exaggerated some of his worst traits way too much in other parts of the show. Or maybe that's just me lol

I know he messes with raph just to get an reaction or for the purpose of being playful, but sometimes I think he goes a bit overboard.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
06-03-2014, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I find that to be quite funny.:P

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
06-03-2014, 04:57 PM
I am fine with 2k3 Mikey and enjoy him a lot.

Although, there is that one time where he faked Raphael out by pretending that 'He was Dying'...I thought that was a bit too much and Over the Line to do to Raph.

Technogeek29
06-03-2014, 05:11 PM
I am fine with 2k3 Mikey and enjoy him a lot.

Although, there is that one time where he faked Raphael out by pretending that 'He was Dying'...I thought that was a bit too much and Over the Line to do to Raph.

That joke is a reference to issue 4 when Mikey was injured during a fight against the foot, and Raph came to his aid. Both Mikey's are fine and both Rapahel's get very over protective.

Sewer Sirens Podcast
06-03-2014, 05:25 PM
I really loved Mikey when I watched the 2003 show. I, personally, thought he was funny, and he didn't get on my nerves. Don't really understand people's problem with him (but I probably will once I get around to reading through this thread!).

Netkeeper
06-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Nah a lot of it seems like buttpain to me. They say he's "annoying after winning the Battle Nexus" when he doesn't even do that for very long. When my brother and I resume our 2k3 rewatch I'll count the number of damn episodes he pulls that in since we stopped right before them anyway.

I donīt like 2k3 Mikey cause he is too........annoying.
He behaves like a six year old obsessive boy, who canīt let go of videogames and pizza.
And his "I am the pretty one" is just......argh!!!! Itīs Raph not you!
And you don't find the even more one-track-minded 87 Mikey annoying? This is inconsistent. He doesn't even talk about video games or pizza that often. In most episodes, I see him exhibiting attention-seeking behaviours through other means.

[Also, no, he is definitely the pretty one. :V]

He gets out of hand sometimes. That is one of those times. But I still laughed my ass off at it anyway.

I really loved Mikey when I watched the 2003 show. I, personally, thought he was funny, and he didn't get on my nerves. Don't really understand people's problem with him (but I probably will once I get around to reading through this thread!).
I don't see any problems either. Most of the reasoning I have seen is an exaggeration of the actual truth, but given fandom's general tendency to flanderize characters I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
06-03-2014, 07:10 PM
He gets out of hand sometimes. That is one of those times. But I still laughed my ass off at it anyway.

Well, the more that I think about it...at least it wasn't like the 2k12 Mikey who, while Raphael had a creature inside of his stomach that could have been causing extreme harm inside of him, made a joke by pretending to Have a Chainsaw and pretending that he was ready to Cut Raph's Stomach Open...and not only did Mikey think that was funny, but Leo and Donnie laughed too?

So your brother has a parasite that could be eating his insides (since they didn't know that for sure, at that time), so you pretend that you'll cut his stomach open with a Chainsaw...and even the other two laughed along with Mikey about that...

And people wonder why Raphael gets so angry at his brothers so often...

And this is coming from someone in which the 2k12 Mikey has grown on me.

Machias Banshee
06-03-2014, 07:27 PM
I loved 2k3 Mikey - he was just too perfect in the earliest episodes of the show.... But like several people here, when he hit the battle nexus, he changed. He still had his great moments. But he got more and more one-dimensional in Fast forward and Btts... and I just didn't like him as much. :(

Kanon
06-03-2014, 11:09 PM
And you don't find the even more one-track-minded 87 Mikey annoying? This is inconsistent. He doesn't even talk about video games or pizza that often. In most episodes, I see him exhibiting attention-seeking behaviours through other means.

[Also, no, he is definitely the pretty one. :V]

1. Iīve never watched the OT (no Time/Money for it)
2. Iīm a Raph-Fangirl :P
3. Itīs always some kind of fast food. Pizza, Chips, Hot Dogs,....
And there are more than one episode about his videogame addiction.
4. Itīs just my opinion, why I donīt like Mikey.
I donīt hate him, but he is my least favorite in almost all versions.
(except IDW, there Itīs Don so far)

Netkeeper
06-03-2014, 11:41 PM
3. Itīs always some kind of fast food. Pizza, Chips, Hot Dogs,....
And there are more than one episode about his videogame addiction.
Did you even watch 2k3? Sorry, but I'm calling you out on your lies. He never had ANY sort of video game addiction. In fact, it's Raph and Don that are seen playing video games in canon. (http://batwayneandninjaangels.tumblr.com/post/86313952959/alright-but-what-the-hell-did-you-two-do-the)

And again, the times he's seen "obsessing" over food are few and far between. He mentions being hungry occasionally as either a throwaway line or a quick joke. I don't think you watched 2k3 at all, so go step outside the thread or actually watch the show yourself.

Bossa Nova
06-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Did you even watch 2k3? Sorry, but I'm calling you out on your lies. He never had ANY sort of video game addiction. In fact, it's Raph and Don that are seen playing video games in canon. (http://batwayneandninjaangels.tumblr.com/post/86313952959/alright-but-what-the-hell-did-you-two-do-the)

And again, the times he's seen "obsessing" over food are few and far between. He mentions being hungry occasionally as either a throwaway line or a quick joke. I don't think you watched 2k3 at all, so go step outside the thread or actually watch the show yourself.

Not that I'm siding with anyone, but in Fast Forward, Mike most definitely did have a video game addiction. He missed training and testing with his brothers because he was so busy playing!

Netkeeper
06-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Not that I'm siding with anyone, but in Fast Forward, Mike most definitely did have a video game addiction. He missed training and testing with his brothers because he was so busy playing!
Ah, FF/BTTS. Sorry, I don't consider them part of 2k3 because literally everything about the shows are different aside from voice casting. Writing, storytelling, animation, everything. I'm talking about 2k3. Nobody cares about the ****** last two seasons.

Bossa Nova
06-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Ah, FF/BTTS. Sorry, I don't consider them part of 2k3 because literally everything about the shows are different aside from voice casting. Writing, storytelling, animation, everything. I'm talking about 2k3. Nobody cares about the ****** last two seasons.

I do? I really like the last two seasons (not as much as the first four, but way better than season 5 hands down), and I really wish season 7 hadn't been cut so short (or that FF had received a second season).

Netkeeper
06-04-2014, 12:56 AM
I do? I really like the last two seasons (not as much as the first four, but way better than season 5 hands down), and I really wish season 7 hadn't been cut so short (or that FF had received a second season).
http://i.imgur.com/iJ9N5OJ.gif

Kanon
06-04-2014, 01:53 AM

Just One question from my side: Do You think you are tolerant to other people opinion?
I am. I don't care what you think about your all Time fav.
Mikey, but don't just go around and Say others , who don't like ihm are stupid.

BTW: I am a Fan of fast forward and did watch every Single episode of 2k3!

Netkeeper
06-04-2014, 01:59 AM
Just One question from my side: Do You think you are tolerant to other people opinion?
I am. I don't care what you think about your all Time fav.
Mikey, but don't just go around and Say others , who don't like ihm are stupid.

BTW: I am a Fan of fast forward and did watch every Single episode of 2k3!
...Uh, what?

Powder
06-04-2014, 02:15 AM
Lots of us like the last two seasons. No need to be rude over differing opinions.

Netkeeper
06-04-2014, 02:29 AM
I wasn't being rude, I didn't know what their point was.

[Either way those last two seasons are terrible. It's definitely not a fair basis for judgement or formation of opinions on the entire series which a lot of people here seem to be doing.]

Kanon
06-04-2014, 08:08 AM
I wasn't being rude, I didn't know what their point was.

[Either way those last two seasons are terrible. It's definitely not a fair basis for judgement or formation of opinions on the entire series which a lot of people here seem to be doing.]

Okay I will be fair from now on and judge Mikey from only 5 seasons.
(half an hour later)
My Opinion:
I even like the Garbageman, Nano and Caseys cousin more than Mikey in this version.

Hero
06-04-2014, 08:31 AM
Why hate a fictional character?

Rooish
06-04-2014, 10:48 AM

Wow, you are pretty rude, and this is coming from someone who likes 2k3 Mikey but did not like FF or BTTS.

Netkeeper
06-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Wow, you are pretty rude, and this is coming from someone who likes 2k3 Mikey but did not like FF or BTTS.
http://i.imgur.com/HElaftH.jpg
I'm hilarious.

AT-Man
06-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Why hate a fictional character?

One word: Joffrey.

pennydreadful
06-04-2014, 02:55 PM

You beat me to it! :lol:

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/GoT_joffrey_approves.gif

Shiro Kame
06-04-2014, 04:25 PM
You beat me to it! :lol:

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/GoT_joffrey_approves.gif

Um....what....?

Hero
06-04-2014, 05:47 PM
True. :) At least he had the decency to get bumped off.

kolaida
06-04-2014, 09:02 PM

Ohmygod!! That made me burst into laughter. Man, if there was ever someone to hate!!

Anyway, I like Mikey. He is goofy and fun and I always thought it was awesome in 2k3, how Mikey and Raph slap each other around!

pennydreadful
06-05-2014, 01:22 AM
Um....what....?

Joffrey from Game of Thrones. He was a truly loathsome character that everybody loved to hate.

True. :) At least he had the decency to get bumped off.

I'll miss him. Well, not so much miss him as I'll miss having Tyrion slap him. :lol:

Luckyday
06-05-2014, 10:05 AM
For me, it was because of the voice. I could never get past the voice and didn't help that he was a pop culture reference joke bag although most of comedy was mostly that.

HotNunchuckFury
06-10-2014, 02:01 PM
I like 2k3 Mikey. I think some of it depends on how you interpret the things he says. For example, it's been mentioned on here how he goes on about being the cute one of the four and calls Raph ugly. I just thought he was having a laugh down to the fact that they all look identical! Plus he's just trying to wind up one of his brothers (like siblings do) and Raphael's the obvious choice because he has the shortest fuse. I find his jibes in general fairly harmless.

Xiewin
06-10-2014, 02:14 PM
I actually really liked FF, wish it got a second season though

Netkeeper
06-10-2014, 03:13 PM
For example, it's been mentioned on here how he goes on about being the cute one of the four and calls Raph ugly. I just thought he was having a laugh down to the fact that they all look identical! Plus he's just trying to wind up one of his brothers (like siblings do) and Raphael's the obvious choice because he has the shortest fuse. I find his jibes in general fairly harmless.
Anybody that doesn't like Raph and Mikey ragging on each other [because yes, they do it to one another in just about equal volume] has never had a sibling. That's what we do.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
06-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Anybody that doesn't like Raph and Mikey ragging on each other [because yes, they do it to one another in just about equal volume] has never had a sibling. That's what we do.

Yep. I do it to my brother, and he does it to me. It's just how siblings interact with each other

Netkeeper
06-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Yep. I do it to my brother, and he does it to me. It's just how siblings interact with each other
It's how me and my six siblings ALL interact with one another. Be glad we've never all been in the same room before.

tmntpower1988
06-19-2014, 01:33 AM
Mikey's scream is hilarious, I bust out laughing every time he does it :lol::lol::lol:

MsMarvelDuckie
06-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Ah, another anti-Mikey thread. *sigh* I feel like he gets so much flack by fans in this series, simply because he gets so much focus in certain episodes, and usually for his BAD traits. Yes, he can get a little obnoxious and egotistical in a FEW episodes, (mostly during the early part of season 4 after the BNC arc, and again during FF) but he DESERVED that win, and the one in the Grudge Match episode, too. I do occasionally wonder how he would have fared against either Usagi or Leo (who were both clearly contenders until they got taken out by outside interference) but against anyone else? He was hands-down the next in line. And his bragging afterwards never felt over-the-top like some claim- he just REALLY felt vindicated by his one real accomplishment over his brothers. Because ultimately, what else did he HAVE? Not much.

His compassion rarely got dealt with- only a handful of episodes even touched on it- likewise his creativity or resourcefulness. The Christmas episode was perfect, IMHO, showing just how GOOD he could be in ALL aspects of his persona. He foiled the robbery SINGLE-HANDEDLY, rescued the lost kitty, and managed to remind his brothers- and everyone ELSE present- that Christmas was really about thinking of others, all in a single episode.

With Touch and Go, he showed how clever he could be at manipulating a fight, how well he could push the buttons of his opponents, and how good he is at recognizing an enemy's weaknesses. While his occasional bouts of arrogance may seem over-the-top to some, they really balance him out as a character against the more positive traits. Sadly, it's those bad aspects of his character that tend to get the most attention. Probably because they are more obvious, while his better side is more subtle in nature. Remember in the FF episode where they first encounter Shokunobo(sp?)? In the movie house that was showing the monster marathon, he basically took over as both guide, movie expert, and authority on the situation at hand. He understood enough about common reactions in horror films to know what NOT to do. And he was right.

What's always annoyed me most about this version of him is NOT Mikey himself, but how his brothers treat him, IN SPITE of knowing his potential and that he really IS as good as they are, if not better in some ways. And yet, Raph especially STILL treats him as basically the joke of the family, Donnie brushes him off, and Leo mostly just seems to ignore him! What's a guy gotta do to get some credit??!! Apparently, take it up to a level that virtually guarantees he'll get noticed. Which seems to be what he does, for the most part. I actually like this version of him a lot, and I find it kind of sad that the one character who really NEEDS attention and validation more than the others so rarely gets it. He's considered the "kid brother", with all the lack of respect and consideration that such a role implies- and it definitely shows in the writing.

And while he may be obsessive and lazy at times, I feel like that's his escape from the insanity that has dominated his life through most of the series. In his quieter moments away from his family, he seems far more introspective, thoughtful, and calmer. It's like his natural defense is to throw up the mask of "obnoxious goof-off" and pretend to not care. Yet even later when the others are about to "graduate" in FF and it's suggested that he won't, he is upset, and he feels inadequate to the challenge of the proposed test. He even decides that he didn't truly EARN his place among them, and is willing to give up the title and keep working to earn it, which suggests that he understands his own limitations much better than the others do of themselves. It's one of the reasons he's always been my favorite of the four- in spite of his flaws, he's very grounded and has more sides than is obvious at first glance.

pennydreadful
06-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Agreed, that was spot on, Marvel! You said everything that I feel inside but aren't smart enough to express properly! :D

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Hogwarts-Cheers-Claps-With-Excitement-In-Harry-Potter.gif

MsMarvelDuckie
06-29-2014, 05:24 PM
:toops::tgrin: Awww, shucks. Thanks guys.....

Netkeeper
06-29-2014, 05:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gl27BcD.gif
Absolutely amazing.

Though, I will state for the record that I do generally interpret Mikey's brothers' treatment of him to mostly be affectionate in nature as opposed to outright awful. Most of the time if Mike's on the receiving end of some harshness, it's for a good reason, as when the times really call for it he's still treated the same as all the others. You know, like that early episode where Raph says it was nice knowing everyone, Mikey asks "even me?" and the response is "especially you". It's usually just an affectionate teasing when he's being mocked, since he'll do it right back.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Unless you count all the times when they just outright seem to do it as a knee-jerk reaction, or when Leo stopped Raph from doing so- only to do it himself. One incident in particular sticks in my mind, when Mikey is trying to get Don to work on the truck they "borrowed" from the Dragons (Is it just me, or do they get ALL their gear through having sticky fingers??!!) and Donnie just shrugs off his ideas without even giving it a second thought- yet later when Splinter suggest the EXACT SAME THING, he is all for it! Talk about not getting any respect....

It's exactly that sort of lack of respect that led to his over-doing it on claiming "bragging rights" regarding the Battle Nexus. Probably explains a lot of his other more annoying habits, as well. Maybe he just figures that if no one is going to listen anyway, why not just annoy the heck out of them to at least get SOME kind of response! And I really feel that the others take the others' treatment of him as going too far on many occasions. And sadly, even Splinter seems guilty of this blatant disregard. But at least he doesn't take it to extremes like the boys do. At least when Splinter does it, it's usually for a (more-or-less) good reason.

Netkeeper
06-29-2014, 05:55 PM
What... truck from the Dragons? Are you talking about that first armoured vehicle that became the Battle Shell? Because Don listened to Mikey about that, though it did take some convincing to get him to budge on that. Splinter didn't suggest that. If you're not talking about that, I don't know what else you could be talking about.

[Also yeah the turtles, especially Donnie, are a little klepto, aren't they? :V]

Turo602
06-29-2014, 06:03 PM
I never liked how inconsistent Mikey was in 2k3. He's brave, selfless, and kind, but he's also a coward, obnoxious, and arrogant. What gives? Most people hate him because he was just plain annoying, which did bother me from time to time, but my biggest gripe with him was how he was portrayed as a coward on many occasions. Yeah, he kicked ass and even proved himself to be one of the stronger turtles despite his laziness, but he's supposed to be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle... why the cowardice? Even in serious situations, he acts like he'd rather sit the fight out and make his brothers fight. It just completely ruins his character.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-29-2014, 06:32 PM
What... truck from the Dragons? Are you talking about that first armoured vehicle that became the Battle Shell? Because Don listened to Mikey about that, though it did take some convincing to get him to budge on that. Splinter didn't suggest that. If you're not talking about that, I don't know what else you could be talking about.

[Also yeah the turtles, especially Donnie, are a little klepto, aren't they? :V]

Yes, it was that armored truck. And Donnie never even paid attention to his ideas until Splinter's little "Why walk when you can ride?" speech. Until that point, he kept brushing Mikey off and suggesting he go "make himself useful". (Meaning he wanted him out of his "hair", so to speak.) Don barely even looked at the design Mikey came up with- yet when they all got together and worked on the upgrades to the vehicle, whose ideas did he use??!! Yup- it was Mike's. That entire episode seems to illustrate just how little credit they give him most of the time. I wanted to smack Donnie for acting like such a jerk to him. Oddly enough, Mikey never said a word about it, or even acknowledged that it was HIS idea to begin with. I find that interesting- it's like he didn't care about getting credit for the idea, he just wanted Don to build it. And once they started working on it, he was happy. Too bad it took Splinter to get Don off his duff to build it!

And them being kleptos is something I've noticed in ALL versions- even the OT did it. Most of the equipment they had in that series originally came from Baxter's first lab or from tech confiscated from the Technodrome, including Baxter's van! (Which was converted into the Party Wagon.) Apparently, they are not above theft when it suits their needs.... :trazz:

I never liked how inconsistent Mikey was in 2k3. He's brave, selfless, and kind, but he's also a coward, obnoxious, and arrogant. What gives? Most people hate him because he was just plain annoying, which did bother me from time to time, but my biggest gripe with him was how he was portrayed as a coward on many occasions. Yeah, he kicked ass and even proved himself to be one of the stronger turtles despite his laziness, but he's supposed to be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle... why the cowardice? Even in serious situations, he acts like he'd rather sit the fight out and make his brothers fight. It just completely ruins his character.

Funny, but I never saw it as cowardice- we know perfectly well that he's just as brave as the rest when the chips are down. To me, it was always that he didn't want to get into that fight or situation in the first place. Usually because the fights/situations where he seemed more "cowardly" were ALSO the ones where they were so far out of their league of experience (Notes From the Underground, anyone?) that he just felt it was a really bad idea to get into that situation at all. And he was usually right!

Why was he the only one who felt uncomfortable in that situation, or realized that they were dealing with something they had NO knowledge of? Particularly in light of the dream he'd had at the beginning. It was perfectly understandable to be cautious and even downright worried- and yet none of the others heeded his warnings. A coward wouldn't have even gone with them, he would have just slunk back to the lair and hid. Same goes for the FF movie marathon- he knew all too well the kind of dangers that could be lurking in the dark in that episode (and by that point, he had good REASON to expect just about ANYTHING to attack) but again, the others scoffed at his concerns- until it was almost too late. He might be a little over-cautious at times, but he certainly had good instincts!

Turo602
06-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Funny, but I never saw it as cowardice- we know perfectly well that he's just as brave as the rest when the chips are down. To me, it was always that he didn't want to get into that fight or situation in the first place. Usually because the fights/situations where he seemed more "cowardly" were ALSO the ones where they were so far out of their league of experience (Notes From the Underground, anyone?) that he just felt it was a really bad idea to get into that situation at all. And he was usually right!

It's cowardice no matter how you slice it. The fact that it takes chips being down for him to be as brave as the rest is already a problem. He's definitely just as skilled or more skilled than some of the others, yet he doesn't utilize himself like the rest.

Why was he the only one who felt uncomfortable in that situation, or realized that they were dealing with something they had NO knowledge of?He wasn't, he was just a coward. The others knew the dangers too.

Particularly in light of the dream he'd had at the beginning. It was perfectly understandable to be cautious and even downright worried- and yet none of the others heeded his warnings.Being cautious and worried isn't the same as not doing anything in battle but complaining about how scared you are.

A coward wouldn't have even gone with them, he would have just slunk back to the lair and hid.Which is something he attempted. The only reason he was there was because they forced him.

Same goes for the FF movie marathon- he knew all too well the kind of dangers that could be lurking in the dark in that episode (and by that point, he had good REASON to expect just about ANYTHING to attack) but again, the others scoffed at his concerns- until it was almost too late. He might be a little over-cautious at times, but he certainly had good instincts!And there lies my problem... He's an inconsistent character. He's a complete coward in one instance, and in another he has no problem hunting down Leatherhead just to be a complete coward later on against Kluh in the battle nexus and in his rematch.

Redeemer
06-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Seriously, why do some(not all) people think he is the worst incarnation of the character?

I thought that 2003 Mikey is the second best incarnation of the character, next to the 2012 version of the character, who is my favorite incarnation of the character.

anyway, why do people hate the 2k3 version of the character?

I couldn't tell you, but I understand why raph fans are upset by the interpretation of his character. So bland and one dimensional at time

Cure
06-29-2014, 08:17 PM
I agree with Turo, but I'm not gonna post a gif of how much I wanna have sex with him because I'm not weird.

Machias Banshee
06-29-2014, 08:48 PM
MsMarvelDuckie,

That has to be one of the best interpretations of 2K3 Michelangelo I've ever read.

Everything you said about him trying to prove himself, and not just be "Leo's/Donnies/Raph's brother" or "the baby of the family"... having to constantly tell himself that he's not just a joke or a failure. Hiding behind a silly mask... or using humor to hide what he really feels.

I've always related most to Mike because he and his brothers reminds me so much of me and my older brothers. It hits so close to home... but it's perfect.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-29-2014, 09:27 PM
It's cowardice no matter how you slice it. The fact that it takes chips being down for him to be as brave as the rest is already a problem. He's definitely just as skilled or more skilled than some of the others, yet he doesn't utilize himself like the rest.

He wasn't, he was just a coward. The others knew the dangers too.

Being cautious and worried isn't the same as not doing anything in battle but complaining about how scared you are.

Which is something he attempted. The only reason he was there was because they forced him.

And there lies my problem... He's an inconsistent character. He's a complete coward in one instance, and in another he has no problem hunting down Leatherhead just to be a complete coward later on against Kluh in the battle nexus and in his rematch.

I'm not sure you understand what being a coward really means. Yes, in all those situations, he WAS quite scared. And with good reason. The others may have "known" the dangers, but they were far less concerned about them than he was. Call it overconfidence or simple underestimation of what they were getting into. At several points in Notes, Mikey points out that they don't know what they are dealing with, and urges them not to go poking into things they don't understand. He did the same thing in that C'thulu episode, which was certainly creepy as heck. In each case, they ended up getting in WAAY over their heads, in spite of his warnings.

In all of those cases, he seemed to have a far better grasp of the danger levels than the others did, possibly because of his "obsession" with horror movies- he fully EXPECTED something nasty and dangerous, and could easily imagine it being more than they could handle- more so than his brothers, who were far more confident and cool about those situations than they should have been. Any SANE person would have been much more concerned than they appeared to be, especially in Notes, when they found the claw marks and the acid that ate through the walls. That should have clued them in that they were dealing with something they might not be able to handle- but they basically just shrugged and kept going, with little pause even to consider what kind of creature could be capable of such a thing. Then again, Leo IS the "fearless" one, and he tends to brush off a lot of things that others would shy from, and Raph wouldn't want to be outdone by Leo, and Donnie is just too curious for his own darn good at times. Given their personalities, it's no wonder Mikey was the one with all the sense in those episodes!

In contrast to his supposed "cowardice" in those episodes, REAL cowardice means that a person will attempt to avoid the perceived danger AT ALL COSTS, not just "when the chips are down" but will not even put themselves in the dangerous position AT ALL. Mikey has NEVER done that. Yes, he gets scared- who wouldn't in those situations?- but he NEVER refused to fight or to aid his brothers when in need, nor was he "forced" into anything. At any point, he could have left, and there's little they could have done to stop him. Particularly after the others had all been captured by the Atlantean guy. But he didn't. He stayed, in SPITE of being nervous and uncomfortable about those situations. And he pushed aside his fear to deal with the problem at hand. Hardly the acts of a coward.

Grumbling about having a bad feeling about something, and admitting fear, is NOT the same as cowardice- it's simply knowing that the situation is dangerous, and vocalizing that acknowledgement. In fact, in the Shokunobo one, he practically took the lead in getting everyone out safely! That's not the act of a coward. Real bravery is ACTING IN SPITE OF one's fear, stepping up when needed, even though one might be absolutely terrified. Bravery is not the ABSENCE of fear, it is being able to set it aside and get through the danger. A coward would not be able to do that, even under duress. He'd crumple under pressure, if that was the case. In none of those cases- even when he was most afraid, did he back down, turn tail, and run. He pushed through his fears, which a coward COULD NOT do. That's the difference. Even when he wanted to turn back in Notes, he didn't, partly because he didn't want to leave his brothers to face whatever was ahead without him, and partly because he didn't want to be left alone himself. In other words, he realized that there was safety in numbers, and that they might need him. That's not cowardice, it's common sense.

Nor was he a coward in the Battle Nexus or Grudge Match- he didn't think he could win, and he WAS very insecure and felt his chances were slim, but that's not the same thing either. In both fights, when he realized that there was more at stake than a simple tournament, he stepped up and showed his true colors- and won. Asking Leo for help knowing that he was woefully unprepared for the fight in Grudge Match shows that he knew he was in a bad position, not that he was a coward. There's nothing at all wrong with admitting to one's weaknesses, and that one needs help.

You seem to be confusing fear with cowardice, and they are not equivalent. One does not automatically indicate the other, and in all those instances, Mikey proved he was equal to the challenge, even when he was MOST afraid. That's NOT a coward, it's true courage.

Refractive Reflections
06-30-2014, 06:25 AM
I agree with most of the complaints in this thread, and with what Turo602 said before:

His compassion rarely got dealt with- only a handful of episodes even touched on it- likewise his creativity or resourcefulness. The Christmas episode was perfect, IMHO, showing just how GOOD he could be in ALL aspects of his persona. He foiled the robbery SINGLE-HANDEDLY, rescued the lost kitty, and managed to remind his brothers- and everyone ELSE present- that Christmas was really about thinking of others, all in a single episode

Those few episodes seemed to be the redeeming episodes from making 2K3 Mikey a complete one-dimensional grating and dumb comic relief character. Including Turo602's statement, it seems that the series always fell back on making Mikey the sole comic relief character based on comic idiocy and exasperating his brothers to a far higher caricature degree beyond what Mirage or OT Michelangelo were depicted. 2K3 Mikey may have his heart in the right place, but 4Kids could have certainly depicted him better though.

What's always annoyed me most about this version of him is NOT Mikey himself, but how his brothers treat him, IN SPITE of knowing his potential and that he really IS as good as they are, if not better in some ways. And yet, Raph especially STILL treats him as basically the joke of the family, Donnie brushes him off, and Leo mostly just seems to ignore him! What's a guy gotta do to get some credit??!! Apparently, take it up to a level that virtually guarantees he'll get noticed. Which seems to be what he does, for the most part. I actually like this version of him a lot, and I find it kind of sad that the one character who really NEEDS attention and validation more than the others so rarely gets it. He's considered the "kid brother", with all the lack of respect and consideration that such a role implies- and it definitely shows in the writing.

Well we have to ask, if all of his brothers are mistreating him or disregarding him to that extent (especially with 2K3 Raph's yelling and smacking upside the head), maybe they have a point? 2K3 Mikey's irritatingly loud, self-centered, attention seeking ways seem to be prominently in forefront for the sake of humor which simply falls flat for my comedic taste. It may be entertaining for some, but for me, it's at the expense of Michelangelo's character within the entire franchise, and for me, one of the worst depictions (thus this thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=36318)), but Nick Mikey is certainly coming close to it though. (Mercifully at least Nick Mikey doesn't have an ego as huge as 2K3 Mikey did...yeesh...)

HotNunchuckFury
07-01-2014, 09:25 AM
You seem to be confusing fear with cowardice, and they are not equivalent. One does not automatically indicate the other, and in all those instances, Mikey proved he was equal to the challenge, even when he was MOST afraid. That's NOT a coward, it's true courage.

I agree.

"I asked him, How can a man be brave if he's afraid? That is the only time a man can be brave, he told me." — Robb Stark

Turo602
07-01-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure you understand what being a coward really means. Yes, in all those situations, he WAS quite scared. And with good reason. The others may have "known" the dangers, but they were far less concerned about them than he was. Call it overconfidence or simple underestimation of what they were getting into. At several points in Notes, Mikey points out that they don't know what they are dealing with, and urges them not to go poking into things they don't understand. He did the same thing in that C'thulu episode, which was certainly creepy as heck. In each case, they ended up getting in WAAY over their heads, in spite of his warnings.

In all of those cases, he seemed to have a far better grasp of the danger levels than the others did, possibly because of his "obsession" with horror movies- he fully EXPECTED something nasty and dangerous, and could easily imagine it being more than they could handle- more so than his brothers, who were far more confident and cool about those situations than they should have been. Any SANE person would have been much more concerned than they appeared to be, especially in Notes, when they found the claw marks and the acid that ate through the walls. That should have clued them in that they were dealing with something they might not be able to handle- but they basically just shrugged and kept going, with little pause even to consider what kind of creature could be capable of such a thing. Then again, Leo IS the "fearless" one, and he tends to brush off a lot of things that others would shy from, and Raph wouldn't want to be outdone by Leo, and Donnie is just too curious for his own darn good at times. Given their personalities, it's no wonder Mikey was the one with all the sense in those episodes!

How were they far less concerned? You seem to be blowing Mikey's character out of proportion here and in doing so, completely underselling the other turtles... Just because the others don't act stupid and scared for comic relief, doesn't mean they are any less scared. They're the goddamn TMNT, it's their job to confront dangerous beings, especially when they're affecting their home. Are their fights with Shredder any less intimidating or dangerous? Yet, Mikey doesn't act like a complete wuss. He suddenly becomes serious like the rest of them have been. That doesn't make him any less aware of the situation. Like I said, inconsistent, just to fit the theme of the episode or for the sake of comedy.

In contrast to his supposed "cowardice" in those episodes, REAL cowardice means that a person will attempt to avoid the perceived danger AT ALL COSTS, not just "when the chips are down" but will not even put themselves in the dangerous position AT ALL. Mikey has NEVER done that. Yes, he gets scared- who wouldn't in those situations?- but he NEVER refused to fight or to aid his brothers when in need, nor was he "forced" into anything. At any point, he could have left, and there's little they could have done to stop him. Particularly after the others had all been captured by the Atlantean guy. But he didn't. He stayed, in SPITE of being nervous and uncomfortable about those situations. And he pushed aside his fear to deal with the problem at hand. Hardly the acts of a coward.

Grumbling about having a bad feeling about something, and admitting fear, is NOT the same as cowardice- it's simply knowing that the situation is dangerous, and vocalizing that acknowledgement. In fact, in the Shokunobo one, he practically took the lead in getting everyone out safely! That's not the act of a coward. Real bravery is ACTING IN SPITE OF one's fear, stepping up when needed, even though one might be absolutely terrified. Bravery is not the ABSENCE of fear, it is being able to set it aside and get through the danger. A coward would not be able to do that, even under duress. He'd crumple under pressure, if that was the case. In none of those cases- even when he was most afraid, did he back down, turn tail, and run. He pushed through his fears, which a coward COULD NOT do. That's the difference. Even when he wanted to turn back in Notes, he didn't, partly because he didn't want to leave his brothers to face whatever was ahead without him, and partly because he didn't want to be left alone himself. In other words, he realized that there was safety in numbers, and that they might need him. That's not cowardice, it's common sense.

Nor was he a coward in the Battle Nexus or Grudge Match- he didn't think he could win, and he WAS very insecure and felt his chances were slim, but that's not the same thing either. In both fights, when he realized that there was more at stake than a simple tournament, he stepped up and showed his true colors- and won. Asking Leo for help knowing that he was woefully unprepared for the fight in Grudge Match shows that he knew he was in a bad position, not that he was a coward. There's nothing at all wrong with admitting to one's weaknesses, and that one needs help.If you think Mikey hasn't displayed cowardice in this series, then we clearly haven't watched the same show. Did he not sit idly by in Notes From the Underground part 2 while his brothers were losing a fight? Like a coward, he did nothing to lend a helping hand in a moment of danger ensuring his own safety. Becoming courageous by the end of the arc is irrelevant because he always ends up regressing. For example, wanting to ditch his rematch with Kluh... Another cowardly act that he was talked away from going through with. Any growth Mikey makes as a character is ruined by his immaturity in later episodes. Also, realistically, he lost that fight against Kluh.

Heh, I was at my local Wal-Mart yesterday after we went to see Transformers, and as luck would have it, they had both several pegs on the main Nick TMNT display, as well as an entire endcap for the movie toys. I wasn't too impressed with the basic figures, but I fell in love with the larger "Combat Warrior" figures that had the actions, particularly Mikey. I loved how he twirls his three-piece, and he comes with the chucks for his other hand (HOW does one dual-wield a three-piece AND chucks together ??!! :teek:) and you can also lower his arms to a "ready stance". Naturally, I HAD to get him!! The movie role-play stuff was cute. I want to get a pair of the chucks from the movie- they have some sort of dragon "etching" on them, like what he appears to have in the movie.Good for you, I guess?

You seem to be confusing fear with cowardice, and they are not equivalent. One does not automatically indicate the other, and in all those instances, Mikey proved he was equal to the challenge, even when he was MOST afraid. That's NOT a coward, it's true courage.I haven't confused a thing. Like I said, he's acted cowardly and that's very unlike a Ninja Turtle and his overall growth as a character is diminished by his constant switching back and forth from wimp to brave, brave to wimp. You're just reading too deep into his character trying to give him a psyche and explanation for his actions when the actual showings don't indicate what you're proposing.

fridaynightdestination
07-01-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm still early in the series, just getting into it, but so far he seems OK. 2012 Mikey is still my favorite though.

thebrownranger
07-02-2014, 01:39 AM
MsMarvelDuckie,

That has to be one of the best interpretations of 2K3 Michelangelo I've ever read.

Everything you said about him trying to prove himself, and not just be "Leo's/Donnies/Raph's brother" or "the baby of the family"... having to constantly tell himself that he's not just a joke or a failure. Hiding behind a silly mask... or using humor to hide what he really feels.

I've always related most to Mike because he and his brothers reminds me so much of me and my older brothers. It hits so close to home... but it's perfect.

I agree. Very good interpretation. 2k3 Mikey is one of my favorite versions of him; I don't see him as a coward, obnoxious or inferior to his brothers.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-02-2014, 11:42 AM
I couldn't tell you, but I understand why raph fans are upset by the interpretation of his character. So bland and one dimensional at time

2k3 Raph is my favorite version of him. And my favorite Turtle is Raph, so...

Technogeek29
07-02-2014, 01:08 PM
On the note of Mikey displaying cowardice and wanting to run. Luigi is more or less the same. In fact up until dream team of Mario wasn't holding his hand, Luigi was miles away from the danger unlike Mikey 2k3 Luigi has ran f f from danger despite the fact Mario needs him.

Edit: don't give me wrong I like Luigi he's awesome.

Turo602
07-02-2014, 03:06 PM
On the note of Mikey displaying cowardice and wanting to run. Luigi is more or less the same. In fact up until dream team of Mario wasn't holding his hand, Luigi was miles away from the danger unlike Mikey 2k3 Luigi has ran f f from danger despite the fact Mario needs him.

Clearly not... Like I said, Notes From the Underground part 2. The fact that Mikey would act like that from time to time is just disappointing. Also, what does Luigi have to do with anything?

HotNunchuckFury
07-02-2014, 04:24 PM

Haha, it was this series where Raph won me over! ;)

pennydreadful
07-02-2014, 04:38 PM
2k3 Raph is my favorite version of him. And my favorite Turtle is Raph, so...

Uh yeah, ditto on that one... I love 2k3 Raph!

Technogeek29
07-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Clearly not... Like I said, Notes From the Underground part 2. The fact that Mikey would act like that from time to time is just disappointing. Also, what does Luigi have to do with anything?

You mentioned people who were cowards yet are suppose to be heroes. Luigi seemed like perfect example of a guy who is terribly afraid of everything but presses on despite his fear. Mikey in notes of the underground was more or less the same.

Turo602
07-03-2014, 02:16 AM
You mentioned people who were cowards yet are suppose to be heroes. Luigi seemed like perfect example of a guy who is terribly afraid of everything but presses on despite his fear. Mikey in notes of the underground was more or less the same.

Leo was afraid of the Foot Elite, yet still fought in battle and got over his fear. Much like Luigi who is afraid but still confronts his fears, right then and there. Mikey flat out did nothing and stood back. Learning that the monsters were good and proceeding on with the mission doesn't make up for his lack of courage in a moment where his brothers needed him.

tmntpower1988
07-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Mikey in SAINW was badass.

Panther10
07-10-2014, 11:24 AM
I liked him in Fast forward. even though he was completely obnoxious from seasons 3-5 that part of his personality seemed to taper off a bit in the last two seasons.

Netkeeper
07-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Mikey in SAINW was badass.
Mikey was easily the best SAINW-verse turtle. I really love that design.

DarkLightDragon
07-11-2014, 02:30 PM
It'd be pretty impossible for him to retain his goofball nature despite him bearing and witnessing so much hardship in SAINW. From feeling helpless to save innocent people to seeing his family crumble apart (Don was missing, Splinter and Casey dead, Leo and Raph going separate ways).

CyberCubed
07-11-2014, 06:08 PM
I wish 2k3 Mikey was written like Season 1 and early Season 2 throughout his entire run.

Something clearly changed as the show progressed.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-15-2014, 09:38 PM
How were they far less concerned? You seem to be blowing Mikey's character out of proportion here and in doing so, completely underselling the other turtles... Just because the others don't act stupid and scared for comic relief, doesn't mean they are any less scared. They're the goddamn TMNT, it's their job to confront dangerous beings, especially when they're affecting their home. Are their fights with Shredder any less intimidating or dangerous? Yet, Mikey doesn't act like a complete wuss. He suddenly becomes serious like the rest of them have been. That doesn't make him any less aware of the situation. Like I said, inconsistent, just to fit the theme of the episode or for the sake of comedy.

If you think Mikey hasn't displayed cowardice in this series, then we clearly haven't watched the same show. Did he not sit idly by in Notes From the Underground part 2 while his brothers were losing a fight? Like a coward, he did nothing to lend a helping hand in a moment of danger ensuring his own safety. Becoming courageous by the end of the arc is irrelevant because he always ends up regressing. For example, wanting to ditch his rematch with Kluh... Another cowardly act that he was talked away from going through with. Any growth Mikey makes as a character is ruined by his immaturity in later episodes. Also, realistically, he lost that fight against Kluh.

I haven't confused a thing. Like I said, he's acted cowardly and that's very unlike a Ninja Turtle and his overall growth as a character is diminished by his constant switching back and forth from wimp to brave, brave to wimp. You're just reading too deep into his character trying to give him a psyche and explanation for his actions when the actual showings don't indicate what you're proposing.

Yeah, they WERE less concerned. At the beginning of Notes, DON's biggest worry was the tunnel collapsing! Compare that to Mikey, who was more worried about WHAT made the claw marks IN CONCRETE and ate through stone with ACID. Seems to me Donnie wasn't exactly worried about the more dangerous threat. Same goes with the others. They calmly discuss what it might be almost as if discussing a routine doctor's appointment or the like. They seemed oblivious that whatever did it might STILL BE THERE. And when they actually encountered the source (Quarry and crew) they pursued them (rather recklessly, given their abilities) rather than acknowledging that they might have bitten off more than they could handle. Why? What exactly did they think they were going to do against those creatures? Mikey was the only one who felt it was a situation best left alone. To use an old quote, sometimes discretion really IS the better part of valor. He seems to have a better grasp of that concept than the others.

SAINW is an interesting case, too. It shows the Mikey that we see glimpses of all through the series, but rarely get more than a brief hint of. It's the part that exists behind the goofball, attention-seeking "wimp". It's a more mature and serious side, but it existed all through the series- in small moments here and there. One can easily see how he became the bad-a$$ he is in that episode, by observing the moments when the gloves and "mask" of comedic slacker come off. That's always been part of who he is. This series just made it much more of a dual-persona than any other version. There's the dumb, lazy, cocky, and wimpy Mikey that we see in much of the series, and the "real" one who isn't as dumb or cowardly as he appears.

Using Notes as the main "evidence" to back up your stance that he's a coward is a straw-man argument. Same with Grudge Match. He never expected to win the tournament in the FIRST place, so being called into question after he DID- and by the very opponent he had beaten to claim that title- was both upsetting and an insult. And how did he lose? With the safety protocols disabled in that second match, he might have been down briefly, but he was never out. Kluh CHEATED, in any case, so it was an unfair match to begin with (BOTH TIMES! There was interference the first time, too....) and yet Mikey STILL took him down. So that argument doesn't hold water.

I don't know what YOU were watching, but in every instance, he pulled through, even though he was in WAY over his head and KNEW it. He acts goofy much of the time, and occasionally DOES get a swelled ego- I'll give you that point- but at NO TIME did he ever abandon his brothers to save himself, or refuse to aid them when they needed him. Again, none of that is real cowardice- YES, he was afraid, and wanted to avoid what were CLEARLY unknown threats. (Your using Shredder as a basis of comparison makes no sense- they KNEW what to expect from him.) Yet even when he "sat by" as you call it (more like trying NOT to make himself a target, but po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to) he still stepped in when it was needed. He consistently shows his TRUE courage, overcoming obstacles that would have defeated him if he was the coward you assert him to be.

And reading too deep? As opposed to what? Simply labeling him a coward and not looking into WHY he acts that way? He's the comic relief, that's not in dispute, but the idea that he is a "wimp" is laughable, considering what he's faced. He in no way resembles the cowardly wimp you paint him as- on the surface, he is easily intimidated and even frightened more than the others. And that's ALWAYS been part of his character. But when duty calls or his family is threatened, he's just as brave as any of the others, and will come through in the end, IN SPITE of his flaws. That is FAR more character development than you give the writers credit for. And it's those same flaws, exhibited over time, that show he has a REAL personality under the goofball persona. (Because real people DON'T always learn from their mistakes, or change their ways when confronted with their personal flaws.) As for "giving him a psyche that the show doesn't exhibit", I beg to differ. It's all there in the episodes- you just have to look beyond the surface of "Mikey is being a goof-off or acting scared".

Panther10
07-15-2014, 10:50 PM
I think that by acting as the comic relief, the 2k3 mikey has basically become an allegory for the Greek chorus from the ancient Greek plays. I say this because he kind of functions as the character that is not neccesarily part of the action, but he is more beside it. He is basically the outsider looking in. Michelangelo is reacting to the chaos and confusion around him in the same way your average viewer would. If it weren't for characters like April, Casey or Michelangelo, the world of the turtles would seem too alien to even comprehend. But when we see these outsiders we see ourselves in them and that makes their journey more relatable to us.

Netkeeper
07-16-2014, 02:33 AM
Michelangelo is usually the character writers try to make the most "human". For most people I've met, he's the most relatable turtle. I think that is also a contributing factor to his popularity as a whole, because a lot of the Mikey fans I see prefer him for those reasons.

pingclang
07-16-2014, 04:36 AM
Michelangelo is usually the character writers try to make the most "human". For most people I've met, he's the most relatable turtle. I think that is also a contributing factor to his popularity as a whole, because a lot of the Mikey fans I see prefer him for those reasons.

This. Mikey is very down to earth even if he is goofy sometimes. He's a few of my friends` favorite for the exact reasons you said.

Davetello
07-25-2014, 09:16 AM

That's a fair post. I think Raphael is very relatable too, for obvious reasons. Raph is arguably even more human than Mikey as he goes through the sort of polarising emotions most of us experience in our day to day lives. Donatello is my favourite turtle, but he's way too smart and too much of a pacifist for most people to really be drawn to him. Leonardo is a model student and I don't think many younger kids who watch the show(s) find that very interesting.

Netkeeper
07-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Donnie's my favourite too! For me, his pacifism has always reminded me of my oldest brother who can beat the **** out of you if he really wanted to, but in reality, he doesn't even hurt spiders. As a kid I looked to Donnie as a hero because he was two things I desperately wanted to be -- really intelligent, since I've got a learning disability and felt I wasn't allowed to be smart because of it, and that pacifism like my oldest brother who I've always wanted to be like. That's probably why he's my favourite.

But my case is probably an uncommon one. We've all got our reasons for liking the characters we like! But it definitely seems like Mikey is usually written to invoke this on purpose.

Davetello
07-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Donnie's my favourite too! For me, his pacifism has always reminded me of my oldest brother who can beat the **** out of you if he really wanted to, but in reality, he doesn't even hurt spiders. As a kid I looked to Donnie as a hero because he was two things I desperately wanted to be -- really intelligent, since I've got a learning disability and felt I wasn't allowed to be smart because of it, and that pacifism like my oldest brother who I've always wanted to be like. That's probably why he's my favourite.

But my case is probably an uncommon one. We've all got our reasons for liking the characters we like! But it definitely seems like Mikey is usually written to invoke this on purpose.

That's why I liked Donnie as well - I was always drawn to the introspective, thoughtful turtle. I suppose Leo could fill that role too but Donatello takes it to its fullest extent so he was naturally the one for me. Love them all though :)

Yeah, there is something very cool about someone who can hurt people but chooses to use violence as a last resort. That sort of person is worth their weight in gold - they tend to be protective and balanced people.

You should never feel that having a learning disability precludes you from being intelligent - although I know that's easy to say as society has a lot to answer for in terms of stigmatising people. Not to blow smoke up your backside, but I have read a few of your posts and you seem pretty smart. Nothing to worry about there.

Yes, Mikey is sort of written in a charming way - it works on both children and adults, because children are still in that innocent stage and adults are able to reminisce about that part of their lives through Mikey - they can relive their childhood vicariously through him. He's a great turtle in terms of 'escapism'.

Taartru
09-19-2014, 01:57 PM
The 03 mikey was great, I really don't know why people dislike him, He is however not my favourite incarnation of mikey, The 2012 mikey is, And the 1987 mikey, Mundo Awesome dude.

So I dunno, I really like him and he is my second favourite mikey, i really liked that he was not completely silly. Like the comics.

Coola Yagami
09-21-2014, 05:05 PM
The thing is though, mikey shouldn't be as cowardly. He's not a wimp not is he some sort of noob. He's a highly trained ninja with the same amount of training that the others had. He shouldn't be running around and screaming all the time as if he were some random kid thrown into his first fight ever. It was stupid. Equally stupid cause all the times he was brave and overconfident contradict the cowardice.

CyberCubed
09-21-2014, 07:01 PM
His main fears were monsters and mutants.

Netkeeper
09-21-2014, 07:55 PM
While I have little evidence to back this up, I feel that 2k3 Mikey's "cowardice" was him just playing things up -- comically exaggerating -- because when things really got down to it, he had no problems being fearless. I think it's just part of "the fool" type of personality he crafted for himself, since he's the light heart of the team.

Coola Yagami
09-22-2014, 08:19 PM
His main fears were monsters and mutants.

Even though he is a monster and a mutant. It's dumb and shows he has no faith in his abilities. It also makes him look like the weakest link of the team.

Rooish
09-23-2014, 06:04 AM
I definitely feel that by a few seasons into 2k3, Raph was the weakest link on the team. Mikey was cowardly but he developed into a pretty amazing fighter.

tmntpower1988
09-23-2014, 06:37 AM
While I have little evidence to back this up, I feel that 2k3 Mikey's "cowardice" was him just playing things up -- comically exaggerating -- because when things really got down to it, he had no problems being fearless. I think it's just part of "the fool" type of personality he crafted for himself, since he's the light heart of the team.

Agree with this 100% :tthumbsu: :tthumbsu: