PDA

View Full Version : Party in the USA as National Anthem?

Shark_Blade
07-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Fresh off the record-breaking debut of her music video for "We Can't Stop," pop princess Miley Cyrus now has 766 more reasons to rejoice.

That's the number of people who have so far signed a petition asking that her song "Party in the U.S.A." become the new national anthem.

Posted to the White House's "We the People" site two days before Independence Day, the petition reads, "Obama please make Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" our national anthem. It is what is best for this country."

To paraphrase a succinct summary from Mashable's Brian Anthony Hernandez, "Party In The U.S.A.," which has been watched over 342 million times on YouTube, is the energetic tale of a young Jay-Z and Britney Spears fan who moves to Los Angeles. It's the American Dream, wrapped in bedazzled, American flag Daisy Duke shorts.

Despite the song's undeniable commercial success, it's probably not time for Francis Scott Key fans to worry just yet. In order for this pipe dream to become reality -- or even simply elicit a response from President Barack Obama -- 99,234 more party people will have to sign the online petition before Aug. 1.

A similar petition posted in March requesting R. Kelly's "Ignition (Remix)" be named the new national anthem did not elicit an official response from White House officials.

The ever-colorful Snoop Lion previously told The Huffington Post that if he had to pick one song to become the new national anthem, it would be "Young, Wild and Free." He then proceeded to sing some of the lyrics, which celebrate getting drunk and using drugs.

Link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/10/party-in-the-usa-white-house-petition-national-anthem_n_3574294.html)

This is just...retarded. Especially since people already signed the petition....

M11SvDtPBhA

Jester
07-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Reads like a joke petition.

gobo
07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Reading the threadline, I was thinking it was about a Beach Boys song. Then, I read "Miley Cirus blah blah blah", and... I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. :dead:

Jester
07-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Now I have this song in my head:
C-CG5w4YwOI

Bauer536
07-11-2013, 08:00 PM
I will admit that the song is catchy, but not her best. However, I'm so sick and tired of these petitions to change the National Anthem!:tmad: First it was R. Kelly's "Ignition," now it's this. Please. The Star Spangled Banner will always be America's national anthem. Even if you tried to replace it, it won't leave any emotion. I don't need a party pop song to recite to. Besides, anything that has "Home of the brave" is better than, "And a Britney song was on." If they want another song, maybe "God Bless the U.S.A." by Lee Greenwood would help. Not this.

And, man Jester. Now I just want to Watch Weird Al again.:tlol:

Jester
07-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Actually started listening to the "real" version...and man, Al's backing track is much better then Miley's.

Bauer536
07-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Actually started listening to the "real" version...and man, Al's backing track is much better then Miley's.

As much as Miley's song is catchy, I find Weird Al's cleverly written and easy to memorize (and to laugh with).:twink:

gobo
07-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Now I have this song in my head:
C-CG5w4YwOI
If the Weird Al version of whatever song mentioned ever ceases to be the first thing to come to mind for you, your Jesting license should be revoked. :P

Voltron
07-12-2013, 12:16 AM
I say go for it. It's not like we haven't lost most of our national dignity as it is. Might as well own it, you know?

RaphAndDonnie
07-12-2013, 12:45 AM
I...really have nothing to say about this except...why? There's no reason to change the anthem, it's fine as is.

Candy Kappa
07-12-2013, 01:16 AM
I the USA would ever ever change their Anthem it should be Hulk Hogan's theme song.

HtrkgjtwABc

dudeabides
07-12-2013, 01:51 AM
The guy who wrote the national anthem must've been kinda like Weird Al himself, he just took the music from a popular drinking song and changed the words to something else.

BubblyShell22
07-12-2013, 06:43 AM
This is ridiculous as Miley's song has nothing to do with the U.S. anyway. This probably won't pass though. People need to get a hobby and stop changing things that are just fine the way that they are.

Bauer536
07-13-2013, 07:57 AM
The guy who wrote the national anthem must've been kinda like Weird Al himself, he just took the music from a popular drinking song and changed the words to something else.

Weird Al makes parodies. Francis Scott Key made something more inspiring.

pannoni1
08-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Weird Al makes parodies. Francis Scott Key made something more inspiring.

At least Key's anthem depicts an important moment in American History when the British's final attempt to reclaim America failed and involves the military who protect nations. I'd rather hear "Born in the U.S.A." as a National Anthem beforehand as opposed to a generational song that nobody over 25 will care about. I'm sure it will probably be played at the next Miss America pageant though.

BubblyShell22
08-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Well, yeah, I'd take "Born in the U.S.A." as well over this crap. I doubt it'll pass though.

Xav
08-24-2013, 11:51 PM
They should change the Anthem to the theme song from Team America World Police.

TheCanadiandrome
08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
I the USA would ever ever change their Anthem it should be Hulk Hogan's theme song.

HtrkgjtwABc

Hahaha yes yes yes

ZariusTwo
08-31-2013, 04:01 AM
A vote of confidence for GI Joe's theme song.

But reallisticly, it ought to be "Land of Confusion" from Genesis.

Leo656
08-31-2013, 10:32 AM
:lol:
YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE, YA SMARMY LIMEY! :lol:

snake
08-31-2013, 12:03 PM

HtrkgjtwABc

Yes. Totally this.

ZariusTwo
08-31-2013, 12:26 PM
:lol:
YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE, YA SMARMY LIMEY! :lol:

You are JBL and I am climbing over fences:lol:

BubblyShell22
08-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Actually, Hogan's theme would be a good anthem. It just sounds so cool.

Leo656
09-01-2013, 02:11 PM
While I'm not sure it should be The National Anthem, I do feel it should be played before sporting events, and recited in schools in lieu of the Pledge Of Allegiance.

If you can't get behind a sentiment like, "I'm feelin' strong about right an' wrong, and I don't take trouble for very long," then y'all were raised wrong. Also, Rick Derringer.