PDA

View Full Version : Were the 2003 turtles really teenagers

PApagreg
07-13-2013, 10:41 AM
I mean the sounded they could be in their early 20s

Martin
07-13-2013, 11:12 AM
They are mutant turtles. There are really no written laws as to how they should behave at any given age. Besides, they were trained as martial artists from a very young age so it's reasonable to think that they would develop a more mature personality early in life. Do they live true to the title TMNT? Probably not. But hey, 2k3 was based on the comics and they didn't act like teenagers over there either.

This doesn't only apply to the turtles however. Look at a song of ice and fire (aka game of thrones) for example. Most of the characters are really young and yet they act like adults. Just because we assume that teenagers in our society should act in a certain way, doesn't mean that the turtles should too behave in such a way.

PApagreg
07-13-2013, 11:22 AM
I was more on lean to the voices, I mean Raph sounds like he can be in his 30s

Martin
07-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Haha, yeah I think we can all agree on that one :trazz:

Bossa Nova
07-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Hell, the Nick turtles also "sound" like young adults too, it's just going to happen when you have grown men trying to voice teenage boys.

And I agree with Martinf, we're not talking normal teenagers here. I like how they're portrayed here since it makes sense to me that mutants who have been living underground all their lives, cut off from society and basically raised from a young age to be self sufficient and overly cautious of the rest of the world would act more mature than your average 16 year old off the street.

CyberCubed
07-13-2013, 12:09 PM
They said they were training for 15 years in the first episode.

Redeemer
07-13-2013, 01:41 PM
I always assumed that they were in there late or early twenties, Raph did sound a little older as others pointed out.

Candy Kappa
07-13-2013, 01:45 PM
They are Teenagers human age-wise

gobo
07-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Were the 2003 turtles really teenagers
Not in turtle-years, they weren't.

BabyTurtles
07-14-2013, 03:58 PM
they seemed like 18-20 years old to me.

Coola Yagami
07-14-2013, 04:39 PM
They were teenagers, but you have to remember, they grew up living in a sewer and training to be ninjas. How many teens do you know that did that? Kinda reminds me of the childhood Gohan had. At age 13 he was fighting an Android with the power to destroy the planet...

PApagreg
07-14-2013, 05:24 PM
They were teenagers, but you have to remember, they grew up living in a sewer and training to be ninjas. How many teens do you know that did that? Kinda reminds me of the childhood Gohan had. At age 13 he was fighting an Android with the power to destroy the planet...
Well at least gohan still sounded like a teenager, my mine queston is with the voices of the 03

Lord Nightwalker
07-20-2013, 10:08 PM
I believe they aged as the series progressed. I think by the end they were young adults somewhere between 18 and 20.

Donatello19
07-20-2013, 10:13 PM
They were acting like they were in their late 20's since the beginning of the show...

EDIT: Except Mikey :P

Allio
07-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Pretty much what it feels with all iterations of TMNT (Nick hits the teen the feeling well)

Most Turtles feel like they are too old
the old animated turtles feel too young

Electric
07-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Hell, the Nick turtles also "sound" like young adults too, it's just going to happen when you have grown men trying to voice teenage boys.

I have to disagree, i think the nick turtles do a good job of sounding around the right age. Now yes if you sit there and picture rob paulsen talking when donnie says something, theyll sound to old, but if you just think of them as themselves it sounds pretty good, definitely the best "teenage" voices out of any series.

Bossa Nova
07-22-2013, 07:53 PM
I have to disagree, i think the nick turtles do a good job of sounding around the right age. Now yes if you sit there and picture rob paulsen talking when donnie says something, theyll sound to old, but if you just think of them as themselves it sounds pretty good, definitely the best "teenage" voices out of any series.

I guess it depends on your perception. The first time I heard Nickelodeon Raph and Leo I definitely thought these sounded like young men in their early 20s, not teenagers. Rob Paulsen...don't get me started, and Greg Cipes is the only one I find the least bit convincing as sounding consistently like a teenager. For 2k3, I agree Raph and Mikey often sounded quite a bit older, but Leo and Don certainly sounded like 17/18 year old boys to me.

Electric
07-22-2013, 10:14 PM
I guess it depends on your perception. The first time I heard Nickelodeon Raph and Leo I definitely thought these sounded like young men in their early 20s, not teenagers. Rob Paulsen...don't get me started, and Greg Cipes is the only one I find the least bit convincing as sounding consistently like a teenager. For 2k3, I agree Raph and Mikey often sounded quite a bit older, but Leo and Don certainly sounded like 17/18 year old boys to me.

i guess it is perception, cause i think leo and raph sound like teens now, where i felt the older leo sounded to adult.

Only issue i have with 2k3 leo and don though is that they sounded similar, if one talked off screen, i could not particularly tell the difference

Raphaeline
07-23-2013, 05:12 AM
Some boys at 15 look like grown men, really. And their voice is changing. I worked in a school and I can really tell you that from one year to another, some boys were 30 cm taller the year after, their beard started to grow, and their voice totally changed in just one year, between 13 and 14/15 ! so that is realistic.

Yes Raph had a manly voice, and I really loved that voice! I think that the turtles look a bit too young in the 2012 serie, compared to that 2003 serie.

But both are fine with me, I just love it when Raph plays tough with his angry voice, it's closer to the comics.

Gin Rummy
07-24-2013, 01:09 AM
Either Raph is 45 years old, or he is a heavy smoker! ;)
The Turtles are also Ripped! What did Splinter feed them.

Raphaeline
07-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I loved that manly design. And that Raph was training all the time (while the Nick one spends his time reading comics).

Electric
07-25-2013, 12:58 AM
I loved that manly design. And that Raph was training all the time (while the Nick one spends his time reading comics).

Just showing that hes a teen, but he is seen doing push ups, and hes at the punching bag in a majority of episodes, so again, i think its just the nick show making them more teen like

Raphaeline
07-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I don't remember seeing the Nick one all the time at the punching bag, and he does push-ups only once.

Maybe i's because I'm too used to the 2003 Raph who's never reading comics and really always training or punching something.